PDA

View Full Version : Sleep Paralysis or Demonic Possession?

zeussy
20-01-12, 13:15
A series of things most unusual and disturbing happened to me over the past couple of days.. After much thinking and pondering with my boyfriend, I thought I'd share it here... About a day ago, I was lying in bed, ready to fall asleep. The only light in the room came from the door which was peaked open... I usually spend about a minute with my eyes closed before I actually "fall asleep". During that minute, I randomly decided to open my eyes - very slowly and not fully open. I noticed a figure dressed in what looked like a white nightgown, I could only see it from the neck-down. At first, I thought it was my Mother. But the instant I blinked, the figure disappeared. I tried opening and closing my eyes again, just to see if it was an illusion - my eyes playing tricks on me, but the figure didn't show up at all. The following night was even more horrific.. I experienced what I now, after some research, believe is a terrifying form of sleep paralysis - or is it? Here's what happened, it all started with a series of dreams which involved me back in highschool. I was standing at the bathroom door, unable to move or speak. I instantly fell to the ground with tears in my eyes. My friends looked at me and listened as all I could make was a squealing sound, like that of a dog. I immediately woke up and was glad it was just a dream.... My cat was in my arms, and it was quite warm. It was 12 because the alarm was ringing and I knew had to take my medication. I decided to close my eyes again for only a little while. As soon as I opened them, I could hear an incredibly loud shrieking noise of high frequency in my ears, my whole body was shaking, and I couldn't move a single muscle. I kept squealing like a dog, but no one could hear me. The door was closed and I could hear my sister playing outside (she still is) That's how I know it wasn't a dream... This happened for about 10 times (I think) before I finally decided to get out of that damned bed. I did some research on the subject and it turns out to be some form of horrendous sleep paralysis... I read through some people's comments on the issue and many believe it could actually be a sort of demonic possession. From what I experienced, it could have very well been that... I felt like there was an entity trying to take hold of my body, and I couldn't do a thing about it. It would usually stop when I moved my feet. But I was stupid enough to close my eyes again and the same thing would happen over and over again... It wasn't soon when I decided enough was enough and got myself out of bed. I would love to know people's thoughts about this... To be honest, I find this quite exciting and hilarious at the same time xD Here's a link I found, read through all of the comments.

http://www.end-your-sleep-deprivation.com/im-stuck-i-cant-move-all-i-can-do-is-make-a-soft-noise.html

NRO.
20-01-12, 13:20
You were dreaming with your eyes open. When you sleep, your body is in complete paralysis. Lucid dreams occur when your body is asleep but your mind isn't.

dizzydoil
20-01-12, 13:22
I find the whole thing absolutely fascinating if I'm perfectly honest. It is, however, just your imagination leaking into the real world (IMO). Lucid dreaming with your eyes open or something.

I would love to believe its a demon possessing you (lol) but I find the brain is scarier in these cases. Or better...if you can control your dream. :mis:

Tonyrobinson
20-01-12, 13:26
It's sleep paralysis I get it all the time, you can have you eyes open and thus your sight is regained but your mind is still conjuring up images for your dreams so you see them in your room. In fact last night I imagined some sort of demon squealing at me too. Turns out that my Electricity was out and the alarm went off. :vlol:

zeussy
20-01-12, 13:27
You were dreaming with your eyes open. When you sleep, your body is in complete paralysis. Lucid dreams occur when your body is asleep but your mind isn't.

I find the whole thing absolutely fascinating if I'm perfectly honest. It is, however, just your imagination leaking into the real world (IMO). Lucid dreaming with your eyes open or something.

I would love to believe its a demon possessing you (lol) but I find the brain is scarier in these cases. Or better...if you can control your dream. :mis:

Your words make perfect sense.. Only I know what lucid dreams feel like, and this felt nothing like one xD It happened 10 times in a row... I wanted to wake up, but each time I did, I found myself back in bed again O_O I was almost convinced it was an endless cycle... It was truly horrific at the time, but now that I'm wide awake, I find it damn interesting xD I love experiencing these things and telling others all about it <:

Tonyrobinson
20-01-12, 13:32
Well it's a night cycle, your body is paralyzed because it's in a total relaxed state to rejuvenate you. :)

zeussy
20-01-12, 13:35
Well it's a night cycle, your body is paralyzed because it's in a total relaxed state to rejuvenate you. :)

Hmmm, that does make sense :D Thanks ;D :hug: For some reason right now, I want it to be a demon, LMAO! :vlol:

Nausinous
20-01-12, 13:36

How do I kick people then?

Dude, only one question for the thread starter, could you smell sulphur?

zeussy
20-01-12, 13:41
How do I kick people then?

Dude, only one question for the thread starter, could you smell sulphur?

I was actually able to move my feet O_O And no, lmao, someone's been watching too much Supernatural ;D

michaeldt
20-01-12, 13:49
That's a vey interesting story :) and I actually mean that, but when I've been tired before and just woken up, I have had about one or two instances in my life when my brain is still making images appear in front of me :p

Rosaly
20-01-12, 13:58

This.
Your brain is more active when you are dreaming... actually the lucid dreaming can be linked with the astral projection, you feel like you're not sleeping and your brain sends you pictures from what's really happening around you in that moment(so the relation between lucid dreaming and astral projection is the thing that you are like a ghost in that moment, like your soul leaves your body so you can see everything even through the walls and 360degrees but what's interesting that you can't see your own body :) ).
Don't be afraid as I read the last comment it says it's a sleeping disorder and I agree.

!Lara Croft!
20-01-12, 14:05
Demonic Possession = Medieval fear-induced name

Sleep Paralysis = What it actually is.

Look when you go to sleep, your body completely relaxes, but your mind stays as active as ever. Collaborating the day's data, solving problems, drawing conclusions. Ever heard of the phrase 'sleep on it, you will have figured it out by the morning', its LITERAL.

Some people can partially wake up, so their dreams 'leak out' into the real world. The brain has no distinction between dream and reality. Just last night i had an odd experience.

I was resting on the balcony of my friend's beach house, it was night, i had grabbed a blanket and was lying on a bean bag staring up at the stars and listening to the waves (yes it was as perfect as it sounds) and before i knew it i had started dreaming, but i hadn't fallen asleep or closed my eyes.

It was really weird, it was like i slowed down and went into a state where i was still conscious and able to see, and know where i was. Yet at the same time i was Lara croft in an African jungle (yeah that's totally what i was dreaming about and not something else... :pi:) then what seemed like two minutes to me my friend came up and said hello.

It drew me out of the dreamy state and i was a little alarmed, even though i saw him coming. Turns out i had been like that for about forty minutes.

In any case, its only a dream. Nothing can physically hurt you.

The mind's size and power is incomprehensible and intolerably fascinating.

tomblover
20-01-12, 14:18
I must have a lot of demons underneath my bed, then. :vlol:
I get sleep paralysis on a semi-regular basis, but it doesn't happen too often. Really, really annoying though. :hea:

zeussy
20-01-12, 14:24
Thank you, guys :hug: This is all very reassuring <: I thought I'd regret making this thread, but it turns out I was wrong. Again, thank you ;) My boyfriend and I are relieved ;___;

Ikas90
20-01-12, 14:48
I get sleep paralysis every now and then. I only started getting them since I've known what sleep paralysis is. Kinda weird if you ask me.

They can be unsettling, and cause me to worry for a few moments. It's particularly annoying when I'm trying to dream, and I have to wake up, because I can feel the sleep paralysis getting to me. (It starts with that whooshing sound in the ears)

larafan25
20-01-12, 20:31
The only time I've had actual visions with sleep paralysis was once, and the vision was so quick, right when I opened my eyes there was a figure standing by my bed, and it was...like an alien or something, and it was coming towards me and then disappeared.

:/

King.Louie
20-01-12, 20:46
This just happened to me like a week ago but i never could open my eyes when it was happening. (which i think made it scarier) It started with footsteps, then i got this huge chill that went from my head to my toes. Finally it sounded like someone was by head chanting something in my ear while it felt like my mouth was being forced open. It scared the **** outta me. :(

Goose
20-01-12, 21:37
Im interested in this to, iv only had it once or so i believe, but when i see documentaries on it showing how serious it can be for some people it is spooky. Goes to show how what we consider normal is based around a part of the brain that is not connected to what we are using when we communicate here, it can change our entire reality and force us to experience it against our will, yet we supposedly own and control it.

I think the subconscious brain has abilities to function well beyond what we use it for.

Melonie Tomb Raider
20-01-12, 22:03
I've had a similar experience before. Couldn't move or breathe though, and it was at 3:00 AM. Wasn't too sure what to think about it, so I just brushed it off. Haven't had anything like that happen ever since, and that was several years ago.

TRULuverzz
20-01-12, 22:07
I think there were a few occasions when I went through this, Couldn't move at all.

tomekkobialka
20-01-12, 22:10
I could hear an incredibly loud shrieking noise of high frequency in my ears, my whole body was shaking, and I couldn't move a single muscle.

It's called Exploding Head Syndrome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_head_syndrome). ;)

larafan25
20-01-12, 22:12
This doesn't relate to paralysis but it does to dreams.

Last night I had the best and most complete dream ever, of my entire life, that I can remember.

It was one of those dreams where all of your emotions are somehow extremely heightened. I think the dream was inspired by the game videos I watched before I went to bed, such as Rage's post-apocalyptic world and the colorful hub spaces in Rachet and Clank. But essentially what happened is the world ended...some how, there was a giant catastrophe which I cannot remember well. But the end result was my street with a giant hole in the middle, and it was assumed there was very little left of the rest of the world. But it wasn't horrible, we were a small community, everyone from my street was there, plus some people who don't live on my street. I remember there was such a strange difference between what everyone wanted to do in these last hours before they died. Nothing was depressing about it, just weird and gloomy but extraordinary. It was amazing the things I could do with such little time left. Anyways, **** loads of people just started singing, and eventually the street with the giant hole turned into some sort of make-shift society, but very free, all of the buildings were being repaired and looked half-assed, and even the giant craters and bottomless pits were covered over. I was going somewhere, I don't remember why, but I had to be quick. Then the last thing I know was our end, something big coming from the sky, sucking us in, but it wasn't US, it was our consciousness, and our bodies were being twisted and contorted through the air as we were pulled closer and closer. I wasn't physically there, and nor was everyone else. It was me and everything I had every known, fading away into this place. Essentially the sky, but there was no looking back, there were strange drops of water, giant ones, and we'd be pulled through them and the image that was refracted in the light was actually something you could feel, it was the feeling of amazing happiness combined with the intensity of being on a roller coaster. I knew I was leaving something behind and I knew I was saying goodbye to the bodies floating with me, but it felt so right and everything was okay.

What amazed me so much about the dream is that it actually concluded, I finally died in my end of the world dream, and I got to experience the ending which rarely if ever happens.

Best dream ever.

moodydog
20-01-12, 22:25
The most realistic dream I ever had was a few weeks ago. It was the night before I had to get up for something quite significant in the morning. I think I was waiting for a delivery or was going out somewhere in the morning, I have forgotten why tbh... Anyway, I remember waiting in bed the following morning, still tired. I got out of bed, went into my mums room (who was out at work) and checked her clock for the time. It was a bit too early, so I went back to bed. I then got up again, and did the same thing, about 20 minutes had passed. So I went back to bed. I did it a third time, only this time, as soon as I opened my bedroom door, I immediately felt like I was completely paralysed, and I suddenly felt like I was being carried across the upstairs hall and then down the stairs. I remember seeing a huge, overhanging shadow to the left side of me the whole time. It lasted about 4 seconds and then I woke up in my bed.
The strangest, most realistic dream I have ever had.

It wasn't scary though, I woke up before any strong emotions occurred. It was still in that WTF phase.

Gracious Days
20-01-12, 23:08
As far as I can remember, I've never had any lucid dreams. From your experience they sound extremely vivid, so I should recall any but I don't. Sleep paralysis on the other hand, is something I've had happen a lot; it's one of the worst feelings in the world because I'll automatically start to put not so great images in my head that then might have a tendency to stay once I do lost that awareness and I've actually fallen asleep. Normal dreaming I don't do too much anymore, or maybe I just don't remember them. Never is it anything I would ever call 'happy', it's either off the wall weird crazy or a nightmare.

Having paralysis and lucid dreaming happen 10 times in one night, though...wow. I would've gotten up after the first and said nope, not sleeping tonight. :p

The Great Chi
21-01-12, 01:17
As said, the body motor functions must shut down while lucid dreaming or you could hurt yourself, by flailing about and falling out of bed.

leglion
21-01-12, 02:50
As far as I can remember, I've never had any lucid dreams. From your experience they sound extremely vivid, so I should recall any but I don't. Sleep paralysis on the other hand, is something I've had happen a lot; it's one of the worst feelings in the world because I'll automatically start to put not so great images in my head that then might have a tendency to stay once I do lost that awareness and I've actually fallen asleep. Normal dreaming I don't do too much anymore, or maybe I just don't remember them. Never is it anything I would ever call 'happy', it's either off the wall weird crazy or a nightmare.

Having paralysis and lucid dreaming happen 10 times in one night, though...wow. I would've gotten up after the first and said nope, not sleeping tonight. :p

How old are you?

Gracious Days
21-01-12, 03:13
How old are you?

I'm 22, why?

leglion
21-01-12, 03:16
I'm 22, why?

And never had a lucid dream? :O I'm surprised. You're missing out. ;)

Gracious Days
21-01-12, 03:28
Oh, are they really that common? Well, I've still got plenty of time.

tomekkobialka
21-01-12, 15:27
Oh, are they really that common? Well, I've still got plenty of time.

Referring to sleep paralysis, my father had a few episodes when he was about 5-6 years old...one time he woke up and something happened that led him to lay face down on a pillow with sleep paralysis (not able to move). He wasn't able to breathe because of the pillow...but what he DID do was he gained as much energy as possible and threw himself over to the other side, this got him out of paralysis completely.

Another time he woke up and he wasn't able to breathe completely, although he could move. What he did was he sat up and started pounding on his chest as hard as he could, and he was able to breathe again.

So moral is...to get out of sleep paralysis, you need to basically shock your body out of it.

Scorpio1991
21-01-12, 15:36
Sleep paralysis is awful, I'm 20 and I usually get it once every two months.
I normally get it if I'm laying on my back. What I've done to snap myself out of it is try to blink as quickly as possible,
then try and start moving your fingers you will eventually get feeling to the rest of your body.

Greenapple968
22-01-12, 00:20
I've never had this but it sounds bloody frightening.

larafan25
22-01-12, 01:19
The only time it waa frightening for me was the one time I saw something run up to my bed, but I was so tired, and it was the morning (light) so I should went back to sleep. :/

Other times it's kind of relaxing and cool feeling.

Gracious Days
22-01-12, 01:35
So moral is...to get out of sleep paralysis, you need to basically shock your body out of it.

Yes, this is exactly what I try and do when it does happen; gather some strength and then jolt myself out of it. The last time I experience sleep paralysis, a few months ago, it was like a repeating cycle. I would get back my movement and try and relax and settle into sleep the normal way, but it kept on recurring another 4 or 5 times in a row. Very frustrating and uncomfortable.

What happened to your father though, that sounds very scary and is something I never considered but will from now on since I don't usually sleep on my back. :(

musicmaestro10
01-08-12, 04:48
Sorry to bump this thread again but I am 90% sure it just happened to me and it was horrible even though not that much happened in it.

It all started about two hours ago when I finally got to sleep. I can't say that there was anything particularly odd about my dreams just they were very vivid. A little while later my dreams started to get unusually weird and I found myself able to select whichever dream I wanted. That was peculiar, SO peculiar infact that I found myself feeling slightly more awake than before and running with it, aka trying to wake up. And indeed I thought I had done but as this dream allowed me to wander all over my floor and roll around I can happily put this bit down to a dream. After what I believe to be about ten minutes I realised this was a dream and with some effort, as I suppose there was something I didn't entirely like about the feeling which was odddly creeping up on me, "woke up". And again. And AGAIN. I actually remember the thought crossing my mind that this would be funny to tell to anyone as I had hit the classic "it was all a dream" cycle. Looking back on this I think perhaps the very fact I could have a clear concise thought while fully "asleep" would suggest that I was in a somewhat more awake state. I tried again to wake up just this time something was wrong. I felt REALLY awake but I couldn't move and there was a nasty feeling around me, not something I could describe just it took me right back to when I was 5 and scared of the dark just back then I could move. I have heard that Sleep Paralysis can be a beautiful magical experience so I tried to run with this and easily built a metal peak off my bed. I don't know exactly what happened between the two points but I was sure at this point something not nice and menacing was surrounding me and as I have read about this before I immediately realized what was happening and shut my eyes quickly. The next step is of course to shock yourself into waking. I "screamed" although I doubt anything came out as noone else woke up. I nearly woke up but didn't and believing I might have done I cracked open my eyes and what I saw sounds really stupid but it really wasn't. Very near my face to the left of me the head of Puss in Boots was staring at me, jut it was all washed out. I seem to remember a sense of uneasiness on my right and my door had some ominousness coming from it. I actually breifly woke up at this point but like an idiot out of fright didn't turn my light on and instead closed my eyes again. I don't remember exactly what I saw but looking back on it clearly there was a black figure/presence almost oozing out of the clothes on my door and there was a great sense of menace. It was horrible, vivid and I doubt I will ever forget it. Thankfully at about 4:45 I forced myself awake and have stayed as such since.

I strongly believe that this was sleep paralysis. I was awake, I felt awake, so much so that even now I am checking that I am. Also my sleep pattern is dodgy and has been dire the last few days, I was EXHAUSTED today and, very unusually, I slept on my back. All of these things cause SP and the way I felt during the experience was like nothing I have ever felt. Honestly it was TERRIFYING.

I would seriously and highly recommend that you don't try this out of interest. I gather you can induce it or at least try but I can assure anyone.

It is not like a horror game or something equally scary or even terrifying, it is petrifying. I enjoyed nothing about the experience and I just feel lucky that I didn't get it as bad as many have.

JsotoTRSaga
01-08-12, 04:59
:eek: OMG This thread is scary! Just read many posts and it causes goosebumps! *leaves Thread*

musicmaestro10
01-08-12, 05:03
^Recomended lol <3!

trfanX34
01-08-12, 05:08
Wow, what a casuality, I was just reading about SP yesterday :p
Sounds like a shocking experience... :/

Ikas90
01-08-12, 05:21
Saw my previous post in the thread, have to say things have changed since then.

I am no longer scared of sleep paralysis - I let it happen every opportunity I get. I manage to have out-of-body experiences and they're wonderful. :)

Stevo505
01-08-12, 07:24
This happened to me a few weeks ago. I woke up laying on my back, and I saw ghostly figures looking down on me, with their hands over me like they were pushing me down with some kind of force. I couldn't speak or anything, all I could do was breathe. It was very scary, to say the least.

bagas
01-08-12, 08:10
This happened to me months ago,i have experienced the sleep paralysis 3 times

1. i woke up in the morning ,i cant move and its hard to breathe,then i saw a cockroach moving towards me,i wanna scream and cry but i cant (i have a cockroach phobia)then it just end like it was an illusion, i opened my eyes and screamed so loud. I think sometimes the people who experience SP may see things that they feared most.
2.after i woke up in the morning i decide to sleep again but this paralyze happens again.I cant move my body,It looks like im getting out of my body and i floated in the air? but something pulls me down and im back to my body.
then im awake again. (weird experience)
3.In 9am i accidentaly sleep,the paralyze happen again,i cant move my body,a very bright light cover my room then,i hear weird high pitched screeching sound,i sense something evil.I try to call for help but i cant move my lips.finally it ends when im struggling to wake up from my sleep.It was Scary

Orionvalentine
01-08-12, 08:10
My boyfriend started getting something like this almost half a year ago. He'll think he's awake (or maybe he is) and he'll be paralyzed and will hear metallic voices in his head. He's also told me about feeling like he's being pulled into the bed too. He claims that he's shouting my name to wake me up, but I've never heard that, he just wakes me up when he can move again.

It gets him very frightened that he won't sleep in the bedroom if I'm not there, it's the sofa with the TV on. :(

I get these weird dreams about massive spiders on the wall in front of me, I wake up, but my eyes are already open. I must sleep with my eyes open sometimes... I hate those dreams!

scoopy_loopy
01-08-12, 08:41
Demonic possession. Always demonic possession.

Hairhelmet12
01-08-12, 09:10
Woah, Sleep Paralysis is freaky. I hope I never experience it.

Although, I have slept walked, I think... I had a cold and took some medicine and went to sleep, then, the next thing I know I'm downstairs walking from the living room, to the dining room, to the kitchen. Back and forth for who knows how long. It's like I was barely conscious, and had no control over my body. Then I tripped over the chair my dad was asleep in, and he started calling at me, but I wouldn't respond. I just went back and kept walking toward the kitchen. He kept calling me, eventually yelling. My mom woke up and came down and they were both yelling at me. I remember thinking I had done something SO horrible and I didn't know what to do. It's hard to explain what kind of state I was in, it's like I wasn't controlling my body, and I was just barely conscious. I remember my dad in my face trying to get me to snap out of it, I think he even slapped me. :vlol:

So then they got me to sit down, but I still wasn't awake I was just kind of there. Then I think I or they splashed water on my face or something then I was fully awake, So weird. It's only ever happened to me once. Maybe another time but I can't remember if it ever did.

Tombraiderx08
01-08-12, 10:42
Oh freaky. I've had some damn terrifying sleep paralysis scares... doesn't sound like posession to me :p

larafan25
01-08-12, 16:14
Apparently it's part of a sequence of events which lead into an OBE if you can last long enough.

Draco
01-08-12, 17:56
someone's been watching too much Supernatural ;D

Is six seasons 'too much' if I stretch it out over a week?

Another Lara
01-08-12, 18:44
I've had it happen to me twice, I can't really remember the second time, but I can still remember the first time I had it as it was so terrifying and I didn't know what was happening to me, but it felt so real!

It felt as if there was someone in the room, someone really evil who was planning to hurt me and my boyfriend but I couldn't move and I tried yelling out to my boyfriend but I couldn't speak so whatever was in the room with us just kept getting closer and closer...

*shivers*

Thing with mine though is we believe our house is haunted, so I felt as if it was linked to that... when I told my boyfriend the next morning I did actually think it was the house ghost, but then a friend who suffered from sleep paralysis said what I described sounded as if it was sleep paralysis so I stood corrected! :o

Nemo_91
01-08-12, 18:46
The moral of the story: Don't sleep on your back. :pi:

Legend of Lara
01-08-12, 18:50
I kinda want to experience sleep paralysis because it seems interesting.

Hairhelmet12
01-08-12, 19:32
The moral of the story: Don't sleep on your back. :pi:

Is that what causes it? I never sleep on my back. :p

Uzi master
01-08-12, 22:38
I kinda want to experience sleep paralysis because it seems interesting.

I think I experienced it a while after viewing this thread, since I knew what it was I wasn't really terrified at all. Maybe that's why it didn't seem demonic at all for me either, it seemed quite the opposite and was quite angelic. From a descriptive standpoint that is, I could see how someone could think it's some sort of religious vision or such; knowing how brain chemistry can screw with you and experiencing it first hand however only strengthens my assertion that "religious apparitions" are nothing but bologna.

mind
01-08-12, 22:47
Happened to me once. Seeing things that didn't exist, only in my mind. I screamed because I'd seen shadowy figures but they did not disappear when my parents came. Horrible. My parents thought I went crazy.

musicmaestro10
02-08-12, 00:27

Not exactly but it is much more likely to occur if you do :tmb:! The other reasons include bad sleep pattern and fatigue.

I am going to sleep soon and I am terrified :(!

CerebralAssassin
03-08-12, 12:52
happened to me once...terryfying experience.one night before falling asleep I sensed an eerie presence...then woke up some time later and couldn't move for a good 20 seconds.I'm ashamed to say I screamed a little:p

Shark_Blade
30-08-12, 03:59
I had Sleep Paralysis a few days ago.

I realized that I am dreaming at that moment and attempted to wake up. But my body and eyes wouldn't move, so I felt kinda like in a limbo state in my shell body. My inner-self wanted to wake up but my body seems unable to respond.

Tried to scream and shout to wake myself up but still nothing, and it felt like hours. I even counted 1,2,3 to wake up. I finally did though.

:/

Tyrannosaurus
30-08-12, 05:48
I first started getting sleep paralysis in college, when my sleep cycle was first put into insane gears and I started depriving myself of a full 8 hours' sleep and pull all-nighters etc. I've seen and heard all kinds of strange and horrifying things while in this state, even if I've dozed off for about 20 minutes on the campus couch. It's incredibly annoying to try and wake up when you can't, and to have audio/visual hallucinations while you're at it. You know that feeling you get when you're in the presence of another person? Well, you get that with Sleep Paralysis, too, except no one's there. Creepy as hell.

I've discovered that I always get it if I fall asleep with my legs crossed. I have no idea why this is.

Boobandie
30-08-12, 05:55

Just means you can see the room and therefore strange things will be scarier.

Gamd1011
30-08-12, 05:58
My mom and sisters all suffer from this, I've yet to experience it. I am NOT looking forward to it.:p

bekim
30-08-12, 07:07
Never had such thing , except my imagination , with demons in walls :pi:

cezy rockeru
30-08-12, 07:09
why choose when you can have both?

Dingaling
30-08-12, 08:45
Just means you can see the room and therefore strange things will be scarier.

Nah, I find it worse when I can't see the full room because I have the feeling something's there and I can't see it. Although that's nothing in comparison to waking up and finding you have your quilt in your mouth :|. Or when you get an itch and you can't scratch it because of the paralysis :vlol:.

NRO.
30-08-12, 09:57
Just wondering, can you make any noises while in sleep paralysis? Like scream with.your mouth closed?

Nemo_91
30-08-12, 10:01
Just wondering, can you make any noises while in sleep paralysis? Like scream with.your mouth closed?

I don't think so. I think you just hear noises.

musicmaestro10
30-08-12, 11:13

No, that is what makes it worse :pi:! It took me weeks to get over it :D!

Chocola teapot
30-08-12, 11:18
That was a highly disturbing read.
Yes, it was probably sleep paralysis.

I hope you're okay. :p

Underhoe
30-08-12, 11:19
He didn't have them ever since, it must've been just a phase...at least I really, really hope.

zeussy
30-08-12, 12:57
I could only make a squeal, the sound of a puppy being suffocated. I tried yelling for help as loud as I could, but that squeal was all that came out.
That was a highly disturbing read.
Yes, it was probably sleep paralysis.

I hope you're okay. :p

He didn't have them ever since, it must've been just a phase...at least I really, really hope.

I am all because of him. :gki: <3 ^_^

Reggie
30-08-12, 13:13
You could have been possessed by the Lich just like Princess Bubblegum was! D:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6x2uzwV6h1raoyqxo1_500.gif

Nah it was sleep paralysis. :p Very interesting though...I usually just dream action-adventure type stuff. :]

tomblover
30-08-12, 13:24
The moral of the story: Don't sleep on your back. :pi: I thought I was the only one who made this connection. e_e

musicmaestro10
30-08-12, 14:10
You could have been possessed by the Lich just like Princess Bubblegum was! D:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6x2uzwV6h1raoyqxo1_500.gif

Nah it was sleep paralysis. :p Very interesting though...I usually just dream action-adventure type stuff. :]
BAHAHAHAHA!!!! :D
I thought I was the only one who made this connection. e_e
Nope. It says it everywhere I read about it ;)!

I could only make a squeal, the sound of a puppy being suffocated. I tried yelling for help as loud as I could, but that squeal was all that came out.

I am all because of him. :gki: <3 ^_^
Same, at least I think the squeal came out :vlol:!

Dingaling
30-08-12, 21:48

I don't think so. I think you just hear noises.

No, that is what makes it worse :pi:! It took me weeks to get over it :D!

I've got to the point where I can start screaming loud enough my mum can hear me. It starts off with barely a whisper, then that slight squeal but then I can do it so the squeal is a really frightened scream - think of someone having a nightmare and the noises they would make.

If you get it frequently enough over 15 years you learn some tricks :p.

musicmaestro10
30-08-12, 22:06
^How many times ;__;?

Greenapple968
31-08-12, 23:21
I hope to God I never experience sleep paralysis; it sounds scary. :pi:

Tyrannosaurus
01-09-12, 01:03
^ Yeah, it sucks. But when it happens, you always wake up for real after a few.

musicmaestro10
01-09-12, 01:56
I hope to God I never experience sleep paralysis; it sounds scary. :pi:

It took me weeks to get over it :). Even know I think about it every time before I go to sleep :tmb:! Relax :vlol:!

Greenapple968
01-09-12, 23:02
^ Yeah, it sucks. But when it happens, you always wake up for real after a few.

It took me weeks to get over it :). Even know I think about it every time before I go to sleep :tmb:! Relax :vlol:!

Sounds bad. But I think I'd rather Sleep Paralysis than Demonic Possession.

musicmaestro10
02-09-12, 01:02
Sounds bad. But I think I'd rather Sleep Paralysis than Demonic Possession.

Maryln manson seems pretty happy :vlol:!

No but seriously in my not so humble opinion Demonic possesion doesn't exist!!

Greenapple968
02-09-12, 01:07
Maryln manson seems pretty happy :vlol:!

No but seriously in my not so humble opinion Demonic possesion doesn't exist!!

I don't believe in it either; I was joking in my last post.

↑My less humble opinion. :D

musicmaestro10
02-09-12, 01:10
I don't believe in it either; I was joking in my last post.

↑My less humble opinion. :D

Ooh, are posts are delightfully unhumble :D!

larafan25
04-10-12, 23:23
Euggg!

Last night I had a cray-ass dream, lucid.

I didn't realize, but these last few nights I've been getting to a point in falling back to sleep where I begin to hear this high-pitched buzzing noise, SO high pitched, and it happens when I try to do something (I forget what, maybe speaking in my mind or something). But last night was the creepiest, because my dream ended with me feeling this pressure on the back of my neck, and as I felt it I visualized it being someone pressing their chin against my neck, and suddenly with that creepy thought everything went to ****, and I started hearing this fast and creepy humming/ breathing noise and I woke up making one of those silly "uhhh urrm" freak-out in your sleep noises.

Scared the crap out of me.

King.Louie
04-10-12, 23:25
Damn LF sounds like you had exploding head syndrome, sleep paralysis, and lucid dreaming all in one session!

Orionvalentine
04-10-12, 23:27
I sleep hallucinated that there was somebody standing by my bed as I 'opened my eyes'...

Safe to say that I promptly woke up and freaked the hell out :eek:

larafan25
04-10-12, 23:28
^Try that somebody being an alien! Freaked me out so bad once!

Damn LF sounds like you had exploding head syndrome, sleep paralysis, and lucid dreaming all in one session!

OMFG. I guess I did.

But it all happened so fast!

It's amazing when you watch movies, sort of like Inception, how the dream can suddenly crumble before you. And it all started with me being chased by my dog, jumping into the pool, then deciding he wasn't there, trying to steady myself off the floor and then BAM! **** hit the fan. o.o

Orionvalentine
04-10-12, 23:29
^Try that somebody being an alien! Freaked me out so bad once!

My first instinct was that it was Slender Man, that's fear enough thank you D:

King.Louie
04-10-12, 23:31

Thats funny you say that because when i had my experience with sleep paralysis i thought the exact same thing.

larafan25
04-10-12, 23:32

I'd be mildly comforted TBH. He would make me think of the Internet, which scares me less than aliens.

But it's creepy when you don't know what it is, I remember not wanting to go back to sleep without the cover over my head, because I didn't want hallucinations.

I don't even understand how that crap can happen, how do you see something that is not there!? D:

Though I can actually relate everything I experienced to sounds made in my room, oddly enough. My TV makes a very high-pitched buzzing sound, but you can't really notice it (whether that is the buzz or not), and I was having to breathe through my mouth because my nose was plugged, which makes the same humming sound I heard, and as well there was the corner of a pillow poking at the back of my neck when I woke up. ._.

edit: Slender man is actually kind of the stuff of my nightmares though, as a kid I had dreams that (what felt like) giant arms would slowly wrap around my body, especially my waist, which now makes me think of Slendy!

Lee croft
04-10-12, 23:32
It's funny I was talking about this with my friends today.

Sleep Paralysis useally happens when you lay on your back. It's scary I always panic when ever I have it.

I try to shake my body to move but it never works...I always seem to fall back to sleep though during it then wake up again and I'm fine.

Orionvalentine
04-10-12, 23:33
Thats funny you say that because when i had my experience with sleep paralysis i thought the exact same thing.

It is HORRID! It must have affected me, because I haven't been able to sleep for the last week :\

larafan25
04-10-12, 23:37
It's funny I was talking about this with my friends today.

Sleep Paralysis useally happens when you lay on your back. It's scary I always panic when ever I have it.

I try to shake my body to move but it never works...I always seem to fall back to sleep though during it then wake up again and I'm fine.

Yep, I have the perfect time and position for it to happen to me. I usually try to fling my right arm, and eventually I wake up.

Though I just remembered, last night during the beginning portion of my dreaming, I could slowly move all of my limbs, VERY VERY slowly, and I could feel them hitting things, but I don't remember what.

Scorpio1991
05-10-12, 00:23
Couple months ago woke up from a dream where a thing called The Rake was chasing me down the street. So I wake up, I turn around and it's right in front of my face. I blinked and lt was gone. Heres what it looks like. Honestly, I have never seen this before but it looks exactly like the monster that was in my dream and infront of my face.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR9-YwFuzyzIyD1OkDs7upuxTIbaYUz-pDxWavlWPqCfMCdEzikZw

larafan25
05-10-12, 00:34
^I had something pretty much like that as a waking hallucination. ._.

I wake up, it crawls really quickly towards my bed, goes to get on and BAM I'm awake and that bitch aint getting near me! :O

Orionvalentine
05-10-12, 00:48
I just Googled Berwick monster. Why? WHYY?

No sleep, even if I was gonna get some tonight...

larafan25
05-10-12, 00:50
I've just been youtubing about lucid dreams and now I'm scared from hearing of other people's stories.

Such as opening your eyes to a person standing in front of you staring at you, close up. ****. That.

musicmaestro10
05-10-12, 00:56
I had a little bit of SP a few weeks back now. It seems to happen when I am both really physically and mentally tired and I just drop into sleep. I seem to only be able to fully get stuck in it if I lie on my back though. Frankly it scares the crap out of me. I have never been so scared in my whole life when it happened the first time!

Oh and you guys stories are horrifying!

Orionvalentine
05-10-12, 00:58
I'm so...sorry. Try to think of nice things, like Jigglypuff!

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ly2bg4quHg1qhmi3bo1_400.jpg

larafan25
05-10-12, 00:59
Yeah, apparently you drop into it when your body falls asleep faster than your brain or something, so lots of exercise to tire the body is helpful to wake induced lucid dreaming.

edit: I just remembered this dream I had where I was at a mall, and I desperately wanted a job, and I ended up falling on my ass in front of this store, which Kathy Griffin just happened to be behind the counter at (lol wat garl) and I went up and spent a long time deciding on buying fudge, and being able to pay for it, and knowing two people behind the counter, and when I left I remember walking home down my street feeling so impressed with myself and proud that I had a job, but I didn't get a job I just got fudge.

musicmaestro10
05-10-12, 01:05
@OV :vlol:! What is this foul pink beast that stands before me :vlol:!

@LF Oh right. That makes sense. Your chin in your neck dream is enough to give me nightmares :D! That sounds really horrible for you :(.

Scorpio1991
05-10-12, 01:20
^I had something pretty much like that as a waking hallucination. ._.

I wake up, it crawls really quickly towards my bed, goes to get on and BAM I'm awake and that bitch aint getting near me! :O
I've just been youtubing about lucid dreams and now I'm scared from hearing of other people's stories.

Such as opening your eyes to a person standing in front of you staring at you, close up. ****. That.

Makes you wanna sleep with a shotgun under your pillow to be safe, huh?

I just Googled Berwick monster. Why? WHYY?

Why? Why would you do something like that some of those are extremely one terrifying the one I posted is very mild compared to some others...

musicmaestro10
05-10-12, 01:22
^Seconded. Why did I do it as well ;__;!

larafan25
05-10-12, 01:24
I googled it and I just see the same image as above. :confused:

Orionvalentine
05-10-12, 01:45
Well, I'm going to TRY and sleep now. I'll be keeping the light on the dimmest setting though! I hope nothing... peculiar happens tonight. :o

larafan25
05-10-12, 01:48
Put the blanket over your head.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg295/randomperson_2008/sleepupoo.jpg

Orionvalentine
05-10-12, 11:36
I did wake up a few times, but last night was pretty good for normal sleep. I did have the light on though ;)

Scorpio1991
05-10-12, 21:41
I slept good as well, even though I was afraid to fall asleep.
So I decided to watch Bedlam (tv show about ghosts) because hey what more could happen, right?
Well, anyways I slept like a baby :D

WWETombRaider
05-10-12, 23:05
Well, I'm not gonna sleep tonight after watching this video. http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/OptimalProtocol/Smiley_Crying.gif

AveJSRL8KgQ

Orionvalentine
05-10-12, 23:17
Why oh why did I watch that? Somebody's gotta teach me some restraint!

Thanks WWETombRaider... :ton:

WWETombRaider
05-10-12, 23:20
^ That makes two of us :p

Scorpio1991
05-10-12, 23:25
That looks like a dude just laying in the dirt, not that scary :p

Orionvalentine
05-10-12, 23:26
Why not go upstairs to bed?

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/218/8/9/Bed__Breakfast_and_Slender_Men_by_carnemire.png

trfanX34
05-10-12, 23:31
Well, I'm not gonna sleep tonight after watching this video. http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/OptimalProtocol/Smiley_Crying.gif

AveJSRL8KgQ

Oh oh oh Catalonia, that's where I live. Hello lil' ghosties! :D

Scorpio1991
05-10-12, 23:36
Not sure if Slenderman
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5PvOdbbPHrIxbqLGMd9pH55pGP6nGo _D4VzxaVmp3stjy8-Rx
Or just an extremely tall guy

CLF
06-10-12, 00:10
Sleep paralysis is bloody horrible. I've had it a few times over the past year although I can only really remember the first time I had it. I remember waking up and seeing a figure standing by my wardrobe staring at me, I actually remember thinking at the time that it looked a bit like my brother, wearing a massive rain jacket with the hood up. I blinked and the figure disappeared, however at that point I felt the other side of my bed go down as if someone was climbing in next to me and I felt legs cross through mine like someone was cosying up to me. I was absolutely petrified and I couldn't move, scream or anything. I eventually managed a whimper (I thought it was possibly my girlfriend at the time) and very quietly called her name and asked what she was doing. I then was able to move again and spun around in my bed to find that there was no one there. It was awful and I doubt I'll ever forget it.

Orionvalentine
06-10-12, 00:15
CLF, that sounds horrible and very similar to my past experiences! There's no other fear as horrid as feeling something other than you on the bed when you're alone...

Stevo505
06-10-12, 06:13
I just had this once again while I was falling asleep last night. I remember feeling like something was pushing me down into my bed and I couldn't move. I was facing into my pillow so I couldn't see anything, but I heard whispering outside my window. It started getting louder and louder and then turned into laughing until I finally was able to move and then it stopped. I hate this crap, and it keeps happening to me :(

Melonie Tomb Raider
06-10-12, 06:25
I had that happen to me once. I was awake and turned my head to look at the clock, then suddenly when I tried to sit up, I couldn't move or even breathe. It was a very odd struggle that scared the hell out of me. After struggling for a bit I managed to fall back asleep.

It was weird and I'm glad it hasnt happened since :p

lord gaga
06-10-12, 11:19
It happened to me once when I was younger.

I swore that there was a white women with long black hair over my face and when I closed my eyes she was gone.

I slept in my sisters room that night :p.

Scorpio1991
06-10-12, 18:29
It happened to me once when I was younger.

I swore that there was a white women with long black hair over my face and when I closed my eyes she was gone.

I slept in my sisters room that night :p.

Did she look like this by any chance?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-2263_sAI-Bk/T2u1MS_ewAI/AAAAAAAAAq4/tmXPfAmCkAk/s1600/105367-samara_bigger.jpg

If so, I'm sorry to say you have seven days to live...

But, in all seriousness it does suck and is scary as **** when you're helpless and can't do anything but close your eyes and cry.
It makes you afraid to go to sleep sometimes because of the fear that it might happen again. :(

larafan25
06-10-12, 18:30
I love Samara. <3