PDA

View Full Version : How Tomb-Croft-Crazed Are You?

Tear
21-01-12, 03:38
On a scale of 1 to 10, how crazed are you about the general idea of what you do in all Tomb Raider games?

On a scale of 1 to 10, how crazed are you about who Lara Croft is as a character?

1 = Never had an interest in / 10 = My main reason for playing

Tear:

Tomb Raider - 8

Lara Croft - 10

Lara Croft is my main reason for playing.
I would play any game she's in just because I love who she is.
While Lara is my focus, I also love the idea of Tomb Raiding.
Adventure games are my favourite genre of games and in my opinion
Tomb Raider has the perfect adventure ingredients for success.

If you care to explain your ratings, please do.

Weemanply109
21-01-12, 03:41
I'm confused, slightly. I'm slow, help me out here!

JsotoTRSaga
21-01-12, 03:46
10 and 10 if i Could give an Eleven to Both i would. I Love Lara Croft and it's part of my Focus but i also LOVE Tomb Raiding.

Weemanply109
21-01-12, 03:49
Oh, I think I get it now.

Mine would be.

Tomb Raider - 9

Lara Croft - 10

Stevo505
21-01-12, 03:50
10 and 10. :)

larafan25
21-01-12, 03:51
The idea of Tomb Raider?

100000000000000/ 10.

The execution of every past TR game in general? 3/10.

This new TR? 7/10 so far.

Stevo505
21-01-12, 03:51
The idea of Tomb Raider?

100000000000000/ 10.

This new TR? 7/10 so far.

What about Lara herself?

skylark1121
21-01-12, 03:52
10 and 10.

Sometimes it's 9 and 10 (TR 9, LC 10), though. :D

Scorpio1991
21-01-12, 03:55
Tomb Raider - 10
Lara Croft - 7

Gracious Days
21-01-12, 03:57
So, like, how we feel about what Lara does versus who she is herself?

Tomb Raider - 9. Action/Adventure platformers have always appealed to me, and TR gameplay I find satisfying.

Lara Croft - 5. I've never felt a strong connection to her, and what is there probably stems from the respect I have for her gaming icon status.

larafan25
21-01-12, 03:57
What about Lara herself?

Lara herself...

Ummm...

I'll give pre-reboot Lara an 8/10...

I won't comment on new Lara just yet.

Mikky
21-01-12, 04:01
Tomb Raider - 8

Lara Croft - 9

I think...

SirPlagueRat
21-01-12, 04:13
Tomb Raider - 9
Lara Croft - 10

I guess. I've been playing Tomb Raider since a very, very young age, so I've become rather attached to Lara. :p

leglion
21-01-12, 04:23
I feel like a 10 on both but compared to what some people do with hoarding all the merchandise, i feel more like a 5 compared to them. :\

TRLegendLuver
21-01-12, 04:24
Tomb Raider - 10
Lara Croft - 10

Larapink
21-01-12, 04:45
I find this hard to rate, I haven't played TR in a long time so I think I better start playing some soon since I was primarily a TR fan but things change. :)

Within this is within the last year for me, the scores would be higher if I played the games recently.

Tomb Raider - 8 ½

Lara Croft - 7

lcroft_lc
21-01-12, 04:53
Tomb Raider - 10
Lara Croft - 10

Tomb Raider without Lara Croft is nothing. Tomb Raider is my life. :jmp:

JsotoTRSaga
21-01-12, 04:59
Tomb Raider - 10
Lara Croft - 10

Tomb Raider without Lara Croft is nothing. Tomb Raider is my life. :jmp:

awww U took those words from ur Heart! That's exactly what i say. :hug:

lcroft_lc
21-01-12, 05:01
awww U took those words from ur Heart! That's exactly what i say. :hug:

:tmb: :hug:

Spong
21-01-12, 05:11
Tomb Raider - 8
Lara - 0

I'd score Doppelgänger or Natla higher than Lara.

lcroft_lc
21-01-12, 05:20
Tomb Raider - 8
Lara - 0

You bloody Lara hater. :smk::smk::smk::smk::smk::smk::smk::smk::smk::smk: :smk::smk::smk::smk::smk::smk:

JsotoTRSaga
21-01-12, 05:22
Tomb Raider - 8
Lara - 0

WT*:cen: don't u dare Insult my Lara!!! :p :smk:

Spong
21-01-12, 05:34
You bloody Lara hater. :smk::smk::smk::smk::smk::smk::smk::smk::smk::smk: :smk::smk::smk::smk::smk::smk:

WT*:cen: don't u dare Insult my Lara!!! :p :smk:

What can I say? When I play a TR game (especially Core's) it's me who's lost in those levels and doing all the exploring/puzzle solving, not Lara. That's one of the reasons I dislike LAU so much, because Lara is put on a pedestal at the centre of proceedings and, frankly, it ruins the immersion.

I've never related to Lara, never empathised with her, I barely even noticed her presence for the first five games. She's never meant anything to me and she never will. If anything, I find her detrimental to the series, especially nowadays since Crystal have taken over and become absolutely obsessed with the woman. Which is ironic because, from my point of view, all they've gone and done is make her more repulsive by virtue of everything about her being so damn intrusive.

JsotoTRSaga
21-01-12, 05:41
What can I say? When I play a TR game (especially Core's) it's me who's lost in those levels and doing all the exploring/puzzle solving, not Lara. That's one of the reasons I dislike LAU so much, because Lara is put on a pedestal at the centre of proceedings and, frankly, it ruins the immersion.

I've never related to Lara, never empathised with her, I barely even noticed her presence for the first five games. She's never meant anything to me and she never will. If anything, I find her detrimental to the series, especially nowadays since Crystal have taken over and become absolutely obsessed with the woman. Which is ironic because, from my point of view, all they've gone and done is make her more repulsive by virtue of everything about her being so damn intrusive.

:mad: how come that u don't notice Lara in the Old games? what about the Cutscenes and FMV's do you Skip them or what? I Love Lara <3 and if Lara wasn't there anymore i wouldn't like TR. Even if we Raid tombs without Lara i wouldn't like it. And CD is making a Great Job with the Reboot (So far from what we have seen) and it seems that Lara will be one of the Main things in the game which is Brilliant. how can u be a Fan of Tomb Raider and only like TR1-TR5 And hate Lara :( :hea:

Spong
21-01-12, 06:00
:mad: how come that u don't notice Lara in the Old games? what about the Cutscenes and FMV's do you Skip them or what?

Yeah, I know the stories and I watched the cutscenes & FMVs, but the games themselves were all about me navigating the levels, not Lara doing it at my command. The stories were just an added extra as far as I was concerned. Most games I play I don't play for the stories, I play them for the game. If I want a good story, I'll go read a book or watch a film.

I Love Lara <3 and if Lara wasn't there anymore i wouldn't like TR. Even if we Raid tombs without Lara i wouldn't like it.

That is a completely absurd notion to me.

And CD is making a Great Job with the Reboot (So far from what we have seen) and it seems that Lara will be one of the Main things in the game which is Brilliant.

I've acknowledged in the past that the nature of the reboot necessitates Lara being centre stage, and I accept that to a degree (although Core never did such a thing with TR1, and look at how she became an icon back then). But after TR9's introduction to the new Lara, that's it as far as I'm concerned, I don't want to hear about her any more.

how can u be a Fan of Tomb Raider and only like TR1-TR5 And hate Lara :( :hea:

I didn't say I only liked TR1 to TR5. I certainly prefer them though, they weren't bogged down by unnecessary stories, they were more about the levels and the gameplay. Disliking Lara never happened until Crystal came along, I was indifferent to her when Core were making the games because she was just...there, Core never made a huge fuss over her. Crystal put far too much emphasis on Lara in LAU, pretty much shoved her in my face for three games. They made everything about her when, in reality, she is utterly superfluous. One character does not make a game.

JsotoTRSaga
21-01-12, 06:04
Yeah, I know the stories and I watched the cutscenes & FMVs, but the games themselves were all about me navigating the levels, not Lara doing it at my command. The stories were just an added extra as far as I was concerned. Most games I play I don't play for the stories, I play them for the game. If I want a good story, I'll go read a book or watch a film.

That is a completely absurd notion to me.

I've acknowledged in the past that the nature of the reboot necessitates Lara being centre stage, and I accept that to a degree (although Core never did such a thing with TR1, and look at how she became an icon back then). But after TR9's introduction to the new Lara, that's it as far as I'm concerned, I don't want to hear about her any more.

I didn't say I only liked TR1 to TR5. I certainly prefer them though, they weren't bogged down by unnecessary stories, they were more about the levels and the gameplay. Disliking Lara never happened until Crystal came along, I was indifferent to her when Core were making the games because she was just...there, Core never made a huge fuss over her. Crystal put far too much emphasis on Lara in LAU, pretty much shoved her in my face for three games. They made everything about her when, in reality, she is utterly superfluous. One character does not make a game.

So Drake doesn't make Uncharted, Lara Doesn't make TR And Crash doesn't Make Crash Bandicoot? Maybe i went too far about saying i woulnd't like the TR Series if Lara wasn't there what i meant is that if a new TR Game would show up without Lara it would not be worth it for me.

larafan25
21-01-12, 06:07
So Drake doesn't make Uncharted, Lara Doesn't make TR And Crash doesn't Make Crash Bandicoot? Maybe i went too far about saying i woulnd't like the TR Series if Lara wasn't there what i meant is that if a new TR Game would show up without Lara it would not be worth it for me.

So are you saying you would play Call of Duty, starring Lara Croft?

Spong
21-01-12, 06:10

Or even a completely black screen with just Lara Croft running about? That's what it suggests (to me) when people give the character a greater score than the actual games she's in.

larafan25
21-01-12, 06:12
Or even a completely black screen with just Lara Croft running about? That's what it suggests (to me) when people give the character a greater score than the actual games she's in.

Well I'd replace black screen with a film, instead of interaction just watching Lara Croft in her adventures on film or something.

That's the vibe I get.

But allowing it to be an action adventure film seems like I'm giving the option too much slack.

JsotoTRSaga
21-01-12, 06:14

That isn't my point. What i was trying to say is that let's suppose this TR Reboot fails and they make another TR Game and it will not feature Lara Croft instead they will use a Different Character they will makeup a Character and put it there in a TR Game as the main character Ditching Lara Croft forever that's what i am trying to say here and that's merely a Example i know that they are not going to do that but i was just trying to prove my point. Because if there's no Lara Croft in TR i would be Highly Dissapointed and i would not like a TR Game as much as i did with Lara Croft that's what i was trying to say and of course the Games and the Stories have to play a Role in games especially when u play a Game like TR u have to Identify with Lara and Like her to Like what she does or at least in the opposite which would be Like what Lara does and then like Lara.

larafan25
21-01-12, 06:22
That isn't my point. What i was trying to say is that let's suppose this TR Reboot fails and they make another TR Game and it will not feature Lara Croft instead they will use a Different Character they will makeup a Character and put it there in a TR Game as the main character Ditching Lara Croft forever that's what i am trying to say here and that's merely a Example i know that they are not going to do that but i was just trying to prove my point. Because if there's no Lara Croft in TR i would be Highly Dissapointed and i would not like a TR Game as much as i did with Lara Croft that's what i was trying to say and of course the Games and the Stories have to play a Role in games especially when u play a Game like TR u have to Identify with Lara and Like her to Like what she does or at least in the opposite which would be Like what Lara does and then like Lara.

So then by that logic, Lara being the main character of COD would make you like it more than you currently do. So Lara is not everything, but is a portion of your TR enjoyment.

JsotoTRSaga
21-01-12, 06:28
So then by that logic, Lara being the main character of COD would make you like it more than you currently do. So Lara is not everything, but is a portion of your TR enjoyment.

Exactly. Glad u could understand. About CoD... I recentley saw a Video about Lara Croft Playable in L4D posted by H4RR7H in youtube and as much as i Liked it i first thought if i liked the game and since i like L4D it would be more than Fun to play as Lara in L4D but since i got completely Annoyed by CoD i am afraid that i will Bloody Hell say no thx if that was the case ;) Unless CoD was completely Based on Lara Croft and that we could do First Person Shootouts in Tombs :p

Phlip
21-01-12, 08:04
Why so low?

I understand everything except the bolded. Why especially nowadays when you've said Core never did it (even though they did)?
If I want a good story, I'll go read a book or watch a film.
I thought you liked stories in story-driven games, though. Even though you don't want TR to be story-driven, you still like story-driven games.

Spong
21-01-12, 08:14
I understand everything except the bolded. Why especially nowadays when you've said Core never did it (even though they did)?

Granted, Core started doing it in AoD (one of the reasons I don't like the game). However, Crystal have made three TRs thus far and I think it's arguable that each wouldn't have happened had Lara not existed, such was the nature of the trilogy's plot. While Core's earlier games certainly featured Lara, they definitely weren't all about her. That's what I meant by "especially nowadays", Crystal simply seem obsessed with her.

Phlip
21-01-12, 08:16
Granted, Core started doing it in AoD (one of the reasons I don't like the game). However, Crystal have made three TRs thus far and I think it's arguable that each wouldn't have happened had Lara not existed, such was the nature of the trilogy's plot. While Core's earlier games certainly featured Lara, they definitely weren't all about her. That's what I meant by "especially nowadays", Crystal simply seem obsessed with her.

They started in Last Revelation - going back into her past with Werner.

Also, you missed out my second line to you. (It was kiiiiinda a question.)

klona
21-01-12, 08:16
10 to both.
I have a strong bond to both of them.
They're just 100% my type.

Spong
21-01-12, 08:20
They started in Last Revelation - going back into her past with Werner.

Fair point.

Phlip
21-01-12, 08:27
Fair point.

I thought you liked stories in story-driven games, though. Even though you don't want TR to be story-driven, you still like story-driven games. Is that not correct? :)

Spong
21-01-12, 08:34
I thought you liked stories in story-driven games, though. Even though you don't want TR to be story-driven, you still like story-driven games. Is that not correct? :)

Yes that is correct. And you have no reason to follow that up with any other pointless questions, as you've just correctly stated that I don't think Tomb Raider benefits from that depth of story.

NYCL@R@
21-01-12, 09:26
Both 10. I fell In love with lara when I first saw her on a commercial when I was 7. Then I also fell in love with the Tomb Raider experience once I played the games. To me Lara Croft is Tomb Raider. Tomb Raider is Lara Croft...I'm not going to lie, this is a tear jerker for me.

Charlie91
21-01-12, 09:56
10 and 10 ;):D

Anja
21-01-12, 10:04
Lara Croft- 10
Tomb Raider - 9.9
:)

Megalith
21-01-12, 10:28
Interest for Classic Tomb Raider gameplay = 10
Interest for Classic Lara Croft character = 6

Interest for LAU Tomb Raider gameplay = 3
Interest for LAU Lara Croft character = 0

Interest for TReboot gameplay and LC character = Pretty low at the moment.

Soul
21-01-12, 10:37
Tomb Raider - 10
Lara - 3

Lukass
21-01-12, 10:50
10/10 especially the new TR and new Lara.

Tikal.
21-01-12, 13:17
Interest for Classic Tomb Raider gameplay = 8
Interest for Classic Lara Croft character = 6

Interest for LAU Tomb Raider gameplay = 10
Interest for LAU Lara Croft character = 8

Interest for TReboot gameplay and LC character = dont give a **** right now...after 5/6 months will decide ;)

Steven_1379
21-01-12, 13:27
Tomb Raider 8 Cuz
Lara Croft 10 dual gun weilding witty archeologist and globe troter in practical and cool attire alongside surviving gadgets
she roscks

Tonyrobinson
21-01-12, 14:00
Core/CD Tomb Raider - 8, Good platforms but verge on linear as the series went on and I prefer stand alone story lines and not trilogies.

Core Lara Croft - 9, Bad ass, grew up with her, fell in love with her the first time I seen her in 1996. She was easy manipulated.

CD Lara Croft - 7, Not as bad ass, had her moments, felt she was too old to be having parental problems.

New Lara Croft - So far from what I've seen she's about an 8, I like that she is more naive and her problems will seem more relate-able due to her younger age, she's a human pushed to the limits of survival.

Phlip
21-01-12, 14:07
Yes that is correct. And you have no reason to follow that up with any other pointless questions, as you've just correctly stated that I don't think Tomb Raider benefits from that depth of story.

Instead of saying "If I wanted a good story I'd read a book or watch a film" you should have said "If I wanted a good story I'd read a book, watch a film or play a game which I have randomly decided should actually have a story to it".

Spong
21-01-12, 14:18
Instead of saying "If I wanted a good story I'd read a book or watch a film" you should have said "If I wanted a good story I'd read a book, watch a film or play a game which I have randomly decided should actually have a story to it".

Tomb Raider is a platform game. Show me a platform game from my generation that has a story like Crystal's TRs. Mario? Rescue the Princess. Sonic? Defeat Robotnik. Dizzy? Rescue your girlfriend. Castlevania? Kill Dracula. Super Metroid? Defeat the space pirates. I could go on.
Platform games are very much about the game mechanics and the skill involved to master them, the story is bolted on because it really doesn't matter. That's the formula I grew up with, and I'd argue that the first few TRs had that formula, one of the reasons I enjoyed them so much, they were all about the game mechanics, the levels.

A game like Silent Hill though? Or Final Fantasy? The former is about deep-seated fears and and a hundred layers of metaphors, the latter is all about character development. In both those cases, you have to be invested in the main characters and their stories or the games largely fail.

And no, gear-gating in TR9 doesn't doesn't count as character development. The Dizzy series, Castlevania series and the Metroid series all have gear-gating.

Eddie Haskell
21-01-12, 14:38
The game concept (pre-Crystal) - 10
The game concept (Crystal Dynamics version) - 1
Lara Croft - 0

I play the game as myself and therefore I tend to ignore (or try to anyway) all things that seek to force character traits and identity on me.

Spong
21-01-12, 14:40
^Hear hear!

Adrenaline
21-01-12, 15:59
Tomb Raider - 8

Lara Croft - 10

I too would play ANY video game Lara would be in. She's my inspiration in life and she's an incredible character that I love and adore so much. People say to me "It's just a video game." When it's not to me. It's more then that.

JayB_1988
21-01-12, 18:59
Tomb Raider - 5

Lara Croft - 5

pekirock
21-01-12, 19:02
10 and 10

Although in the past few games its always been around:
LC 10
TR 7

TheRCroft
21-01-12, 19:03
I feel like a 10 on both but compared to what some people do with hoarding all the merchandise, i feel more like a 5 compared to them. :\

Totally this.

Phlip
21-01-12, 20:08
Tomb Raider is a platform game. Show me a platform game from my generation that has a story like Crystal's TRs. Mario? Rescue the Princess. Sonic? Defeat Robotnik. Dizzy? Rescue your girlfriend. Castlevania? Kill Dracula. Super Metroid? Defeat the space pirates. I could go on.
Platform games are very much about the game mechanics and the skill involved to master them, the story is bolted on because it really doesn't matter. That's the formula I grew up with, and I'd argue that the first few TRs had that formula, one of the reasons I enjoyed them so much, they were all about the game mechanics, the levels.

A game like Silent Hill though? Or Final Fantasy? The former is about deep-seated fears and and a hundred layers of metaphors, the latter is all about character development. In both those cases, you have to be invested in the main characters and their stories or the games largely fail.

And no, gear-gating in TR9 doesn't doesn't count as character development. The Dizzy series, Castlevania series and the Metroid series all have gear-gating.

I know all of that. Your initial post could have been clearer for those who didn't, though.

Zebra
21-01-12, 20:13
Core:

Tomb Raider - 9.5
Lara - 9

Crystal:

Tomb Raider - 6
Lara - 4

leglion
21-01-12, 20:15

Correction: Tomb raider is an action adventure game.

JsotoTRSaga
21-01-12, 22:04
Correction: Tomb raider is an action adventure game.

This, Oh Spong when will u Understand that a TR Game without story will never happen... even GOL had Story... Game of this Genre this days if they don't have Story line and Cinematic moments it's just not as Fun as the ones that include a story :/

larafan25
21-01-12, 22:05
This, Oh Spong when will u Understand that a TR Game without story will never happen... even GOL had Story... Game of this Genre this days if they don't have Story line and Cinematic moments it's just not as Fun as the ones that include a story :/

Just because this is where the gaming industry is going, doesn't mean it renders all other games less enjoyable or not fun.

trfanX34
21-01-12, 22:13
Tomb Raider - 10
Lara Croft - 10

Though I'd play a non-TR game with Lara Croft, I don't think I'd like playing a TR game without Lara.

JsotoTRSaga
21-01-12, 22:15
Just because this is where the gaming industry is going, doesn't mean it renders all other games less enjoyable or not fun.

i didn't say it wasn't going to be fun at all i said it would be LESS FUN than if it had storyline which is entertaining and Pushes more to enjoy a Game of this Genre. :wve:

larafan25
21-01-12, 22:16
i didn't say it wasn't going to be fun at all i said it would be LESS FUN than if it had storyline which is entertaining and Pushes more to enjoy a Game of this Genre. :wve:

I think a game with very little- to no story could be more fun than a game with constant narrative interference.

tomblover
21-01-12, 22:23
Lara - 7
TR - 7

What I currently feel, anyway. :p

JsotoTRSaga
21-01-12, 22:26
I think a game with very little- to no story could be more fun than a game with constant narrative interference.

If ur making a Clear Reference to the TR Classics then i must say I really enjoyed those Games and even if there was not much story there it was very fun However the modern Games are too Story focused and i like it that way Except if they make a Game fully Cinematic alike TRL... if they make a Game like TR the Last Revelation which had the Perfect amount of Storyline and Gameplay it would be even better than Legend since was Short less than 6 hours and had too much Narration/Cutscenes i really liked it though but it could have been Better. So i really think that the Games of this Genre shouldn't be made without a Storyline at all at least they should be like TRLR which had lots of Gameplay, it was Long ( Aprox 10 Hours if u know what to do) and it had the Perfect amount of Cutscenes I think this new TR is going to be Great especially since it's going to be a 10 hour game like TRLR, At least that's what many ppl say... ;) and Games with no Story.. at all i don't like them much :/

Tear
21-01-12, 22:34

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn125/tearaine/ico1p2015.jpg
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn125/tearaine/ishadow-of-the-colossus.jpg

Clearly.:tmb:

Ora Dagger
21-01-12, 22:48
Tomb Raider - 9\10

Lara Croft - 10\10

ajrich17901
21-01-12, 23:17
Tomb raider - 7
Lara - 4

Spong
22-01-12, 00:58

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn125/tearaine/ico1p2015.jpg
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn125/tearaine/ishadow-of-the-colossus.jpg

Absolutely spot on :tmb:
I'd add this to the list though...

http://i.imgur.com/i3WX0.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/fqrs8.jpg

:tmb:

JsotoTRSaga
22-01-12, 07:00
:rolleyes: My Gawd... i don't like when people keep Begging for Tomb Raider to become a game with no story at all... and then they even dare to say they prefer another Character than Lara Croft :/

just*raidin*tomb
22-01-12, 07:11
Tomb Raider- 10
Lara Croft- 8

Lara croft is definitely not my reason for playing, but as a character she adds a lot to the overall experience because she's so ****ing awesome.

I might as well pop in this convo, but I've played several games that were fun with hardly any narrative-driven story. Limbo is an excellent example. That game is amazing. When it was over I wanted so much more. I think the "story" though, was that the boy was trying to find his sister, but that was almost irrelevant. The game was about creepy places, disturbing noises/happenings, and puzzles. Oh goodness those chain saws freaked me out so bad for some reason.

Evan C.
22-01-12, 14:02
10-10

Lara Croft and Tomb Raider is for me today what Indiana Jones was and is for many archaeologyst. I even saw a documentary a few years back on History Chanel once about how many people decided to study archaeology because of Indiana Jones, and I toughted..."Yeah, I can see me on a same documentary but with Tomb Raider and with me on it" :p

I can assure there's no other person on the planet who feels the same that I do for this franchise, even I don't collect figures or cosplay Lara Croft: I ****ing live it.

Afonya
23-01-12, 10:29
On a scale of 1 to 10, how crazed are you about the general idea of what you do in all Tomb Raider games?

Hmm, I can't say I'm really crazed about the new TR games, but when talking about the classics, I'd say 10 :p I think that some of my friends are getting bored of me talking about Tomb Raider so much. :D

On a scale of 1 to 10, how crazed are you about who Lara Croft is as a character?

Again, when talking about the classic Lara, well, I love her :D She's not perfect, she has made a lot of mistakes (in the games, lol) but I just love the character. So I'll say 10, I can't think of TR games without Lara at all.

tampi
23-01-12, 12:08
I believe that through the years I have become more supportive of Lara Croft. The character. It is not that she seeks or live adventures in tombs, but that she is there.
Tomb Raider? Tomb Raider is the game, the stand in where she is.
But this view is changing, apparently.

Lara Croft 10
Tomb Raider 9

Rai
24-01-12, 01:20
For me, gameplay is more important than Lara so Tomb Raider = 10

But: Tomb Raider and Lara are synonymous. I can't imagine Tomb Raider without Lara and Lara, as a female protagonist was part of the reason I chose to play Tomb Raider in the first place. I like learning a little about Lara and love a good story to go along with the gameplay. Who Lara is and seeing and learning why she does this, is intriguing as is simply seeing this character go through so much just to get the artefact in the end is a part of the experience. They go hand-in-hand, imo. So Lara gets an 8.

If it wasn't Lara as the lead, it could be Zoe Carter from Ipswich on a mission to prove herself/running away from a bad upbringing, but fell into Tomb Raiding and became infamous as a adventurer, but ultimately, she'd still be a strong female lead who'd end up doing the same stuff within the games as Lara does. But then this thread would be about TR and Zoe :p. Not entirely sure what my point is exactly, maybe to show that Lara is not quite as important as the gameplay, as long as there is an interesting character and story there. *shrug*.

LaraDuh
24-01-12, 02:03
http://a.yfrog.com/img704/166/image0werwe00944copy.jpg
everytime i play one of the games i look like this. (bottom pic)

MiniZee
24-01-12, 13:36
Personally speaking, game mechanics aren't enough to keep me interested in a game. I'd say story and characters are the reason I care about the gameplay. (Even a traditional sort of platformer like Ms. Splosion Man has an incredibly entertaining story). I enjoy a good story and video games can deliver these sometimes even better than films or books, considering they're interactive experiences.

I do feel attached to Lara as a character and have no need to "imprint" myself on her and pretend I'm scaling a mountain. Like it or not, she's a prescribed character. She's also the reason I played through some of the poorer releases. I hope she's finally done justice in the new game.

If I wanted to feel like it was me who was going through the experience, I'd play Mass Effect (which I also love).

So, to answer the question: Tomb Raider - 7, Lara Croft 8 (going on past releases).

...I think. It's difficult to put numerical value to such a thing.

_KC_
24-01-12, 14:40
LOL those are some truely terrifying pictures of Lara.

I'm 110% Croft mad. Not a day goes by when I don't think about Tomb Raider or Lara croft.

In regards to which I prefer, it's hard to say... I initially liked Tomb Raider because it was a brilliant game, not because it had Lara Croft in it. I was a bit shocked to see her being sold as a sex symbol...
Regardless of marketing, I LOVE Lara Croft and Tomb Raider, and cannot imagine one without the other. Blates.

CORE:
Tomb Raider 10/10
Lara Croft 10/10

Crystal:
Tomb Raider 8/10
Lara Croft 8/10

Carbonek_0051
24-01-12, 17:46
Tomb Raider - 10

Lara Croft - 7