PDA

View Full Version : Paid Name Change

Draco
21-01-12, 22:36
I'm not sure what I think about this idea, but I figured I'd bring it up anyway.

The premise is simple:

You pay a fee to have an admin change your name from 'Abcdef' to 'Zyxwvu'.

I have two conflicting opinions on this: In the name of vanity, it should be allowed. Yet in the name of historical continuity and familiarity it should be sent straight to the ninth level of hell... the one reserved for child molesters and people who talk in the theatre.

What do you think?

jackali
21-01-12, 22:39
There are a lot of people I can imagine would be interested in doing something like this. But paying real money? I don't think that a username on any internet forum can be important enough to pay real money to change it. :p That's just my opinion though.

Tony9595
21-01-12, 22:40
Free, maybe. Paid, I'm fine with my current one. :p

I wish someone could fix Sponge's user name though, he forgot to put the "e". :(

Draco
21-01-12, 22:41
Well it is all about the tangible exchange. People usually want to get something for giving something, which is why so few donate. But a tangible exchange would generate more revenue, even if it is barely a dent in the operations budget.

Quasimodo
21-01-12, 22:47
People usually want to get something for giving something, which is why so few donate.
I think people would want something more than a name change, though.

Name changes on a forum can get very confusing unless there's a limit.

patriots88888
21-01-12, 22:47
So how much $ are we talking about here? I mean, what's the going rate for an internet forum username?

Quasimodo
21-01-12, 22:50
So how much $ are we talking about here? I mean, what's the going rate for an internet forum username?

$1 for KittyKat and $500 for Lady Gaga (with a 1 post per day limit)

patriots88888
21-01-12, 22:53
^ Sounds reasonable. :D

Nausinous
21-01-12, 22:54
I'd pay real money to change mine, everyone associates mine with nauseous. When I'd actually named after the bastard child of Calypso and Odysseus :p

Draco
21-01-12, 22:59
I keep getting called a Harry Potter character... never mind that I predate that garbage.

Reggie
21-01-12, 22:59
I'd pay real money to change mine, everyone associates mine with nauseous. When I'd actually named after the bastard child of Calypso and Odysseus :p
^You already changed it once. :p

I would change my username (I go through stages of like/dislike with it)bbut I couldn't be arsed to pay for a name change.

Larapink
21-01-12, 23:01
I use another forum and they allow a name change for free, if you PM a mod. I'm not too sure if our admin TRLOnline will allow this feature.

Greenapple968
21-01-12, 23:01
I'm happy with my username and wouldn't pay to change it, even if I disliked it.

NRO.
21-01-12, 23:35
Still happy with mine. ^_^

But this could be a good idea since the forum doesn't run on fumes.

Mad Tony
21-01-12, 23:36
I keep getting called a Harry Potter character... never mind that I predate that garbage.Actually you don't.

But yeah, I hate the idea of being able to change your name. If people chose a username and then get bored of it/grow to dislike it then that's tough.

Mikky
21-01-12, 23:38
I wouldn't change my username it someone paid me to do it. I love it and always will. :D

TRfan23
21-01-12, 23:40
I would pay to have my username changed.

Mainly because I don't like the fact that I have a Tomb Raider centric username, and to the fact that it has the word fan in it. It makes me feel like I'm some retarded fanboy (no offence to those who get offended by this word) :o

It's one of the reasons why I'm closing many of my online accounts on various websites, doesn't bother me since I don't really use them any more :)

tomblover
21-01-12, 23:52
Seeing as "OMG DONATIONS BEFORE I ACCIDENTALLY THE FORUM PLZ" notifications pop up semi-regularly around here, this seems like a decent feature. :p

Rai
22-01-12, 00:00
I like my username, but I wouldn't pay to change it if I didn't. Not sure I like the idea of paying for anything on a forum that's free to use anyway. Why not have a one time membership fee then? I'm not sure being able to change your name would be enough an incentive to donate really.

I've been on forums before that had a 'once only' policy for name changes, and you had to PM a mod with a reason as to why you wanted to change it. Don't see why that can't be implemented here. But only one change; if you don't like your second name choice, tough :p

@tomblover, OMG...before I do what to the forums?

Legend of Lara
22-01-12, 00:05
I've come to like my username in spite of, or perhaps because of, said name not making a whole lot of sense. :')

tomblover
22-01-12, 00:07
@tomblover, OMG...before I do what to the forums? I don't even know. :vlol:

!Lara Croft!
22-01-12, 00:23
I wouldn't mind changing my name, its too similar to our lovely greek friend.

pEhouse
22-01-12, 00:53
I would love to get a name change as I've been called "peehouse" a bunch of times. Something I didn't consider when I created the name. There's no deeper meaning behind it anyway, just two random letters (yes I was lacking creativity when I registered).
I don't think I would pay real money for it, but I think people who have a good reason should be allowed ONE name change for free.

larafan25
22-01-12, 00:54
I'd find it confusing if people suddenly change their names, but that shouldn't makie this not possible.

Legend of Lara
22-01-12, 00:55
makie

http://i.imgur.com/tu4oO.jpg

TRULuverzz
22-01-12, 00:58
I would love to get a username makeover, Didn't take my time on this one :ton:

Zebra
22-01-12, 00:58
I wouldn't change mine. I like it and I find it confusing when people change their usernames.

tomblover
22-01-12, 01:07
http://i.imgur.com/tu4oO.jpg I love you. :vlol:

Ward Dragon
22-01-12, 01:16
I think it would be too confusing if people could change their user names. Steam has a "view aliases" feature which lists a person's past user names if they change, but it's still kind of annoying and I don't even know if vBulletin has a similar feature.

Spong
22-01-12, 02:48
I'd say I'd rather not allow name changes, purely on the basis of keeping that familiarity.

robm_2007
22-01-12, 03:20
I wonder if it would confuse the search engine? Let's say I try to search for something that Sir Croft wrote (when he used that user name). Then he changes his name to Dame Croft and after his name change, do I look for a specific post that was made by Sir Croft. Would all of the posts that Sir/Dame Croft wrote be changed to have been written by Dame and not Sir? It's damn confusing :pi:

Anyways, I am against it. I dont want people to be up and changing their identity and me not knowing who is who. I think that if you want a new name, just lie to Justin that you forgot your password, so that he can allow you to make a new account (with your desired user name) and then you have your new name :pi:

Phlip
22-01-12, 06:17
I wonder if it would confuse the search engine? Let's say I try to search for something that Sir Croft wrote (when he used that user name). Then he changes his name to Dame Croft and after his name change, do I look for a specific post that was made by Sir Croft. Would all of the posts that Sir/Dame Croft wrote be changed to have been written by Dame and not Sir? It's damn confusing :pi:

Anyways, I am against it. I dont want people to be up and changing their identity and me not knowing who is who. I think that if you want a new name, just lie to Justin that you forgot your password, so that he can allow you to make a new account (with your desired user name) and then you have your new name :pi:

All posts would have the new username. Nothing would be confused at all.

Admles
22-01-12, 06:18
There seriously is no need for this.

Think before you create your username the first time, because you're stuck with it.

sierra xb
22-01-12, 06:18
I would be up for a name change, but not sure i'd want to pay for it

... the one reserved for child molesters and people who talk in the theatre.

what a subtle inclusion of a Firefly quote :tmb:

Saman
22-01-12, 06:33
Well, in my country if you want to change your name, you must be have a right excuse, there is rules about, and to relate of those rules with suffering of many kinda of troubles you can change it, and you may can make it on easy way with bribe!

But in here changing name on base of rules, required some money too ...

robm_2007
22-01-12, 06:35
All posts would have the new username. Nothing would be confused at all.

So what if I search for posts by the previous username? Would the search engine not know what I really meant?

touchthesky
22-01-12, 10:16
I wouldn't pay. I can barely afford to live as it is.

Cochrane
22-01-12, 10:27
Interesting idea, but the problems that apply to changing user names in general (namely, that everybody gets confused) still apply when there's money being charged for it. Plus, I imagine lots of people who are okay with not being able to change the user name right now would scream and complain if it this new feature were available, but only for money.

So what if I search for posts by the previous username? Would the search engine not know what I really meant?

By default it would not know who you meant. Maybe the system can be configured to keep the user name around for a bit, but I guess not.

Vinkula
22-01-12, 10:29
My friend changed her name. Then she got bored of it and changed her name back. But now she uses both. I dunno how shall I call her. (random experience post).

robbie_rawr
22-01-12, 11:12
I'm wanting to change my name so Id be willing. :p

Larson_1988
22-01-12, 11:35
I'd gladly pay to change my username, not exactly a Larson fan nowadays. :hea: :p

dizzydoil
22-01-12, 12:20
I would like this.

moodydog
22-01-12, 12:39
Actually you don't.

But yeah, I hate the idea of being able to change your name. If people chose a username and then get bored of it/grow to dislike it then that's tough.

It would be even more tough if people were allowed to change it and you could do nothing about that. :o

EDIT Dizzydoil I love you Avatar, where do you get it from?

dizzydoil
22-01-12, 12:47
It's one of the pieces from the mourner (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/It%20is%20part%20of%20the%20%22Mourner%22%20series %20by%20Jason%20Shawn%20Alexander.%20Incredible%20 pieces:%20http://jasonshawnalexander.com/jasonshawnalexander/Mourners_series.html) series by Jason Shawn Alexander. Beautiful.

I would charge 5 for a name change and 3 for a title change (like on another forum I visit).

EscondeR
22-01-12, 13:08
*3 posts containing harmful information removed.

Dennis's Mom
22-01-12, 13:16
I keep getting called a Harry Potter character... never mind that I predate that garbage.

Sadly, culture dictates meaning. My husband's nickname for me when we first started dating was "Spammy" which was a Monty Python refernce. After the advent of email, no one even thinks of that skit.

I agree there would be confusion, but no more so than in RL name changes, or even avatar changes. I have to relearn someone's "face" every time they change avies.

Perhaps, were this idea to go forward, there would be an official announcement, and the member would have to agree to post the announcement as his signature line for a designated period of time. Something along the lines of: "Arthur Penis has changed his name. He will be known henceforth as "Art Penis." :D

However, those who undertake a name change should understand that getting the forum admin to make the change is the easy part. Habits are notoriously hard to break, and anyone who undertook a name change should go into the process knowing it will be uphill battle getting the membership at large "trained" to use the new name.