PDA

View Full Version : School Help Needed - Photography, Design, or Illustration?

Tombcool
25-01-12, 21:01
Hi everyone!

As some of you know, I just submitted my application to transfer to different art schools. But I am having trouble accepting the right program for me...

Just to give you a bit of background, my main interest is photo manipulation, but I love doing it in a way that mixes style and realism while maintaining an interesting concept...

My recent photo manipulation work has allowed me to use photographers to take (stock) photos of models in the position I want, the makeup I want, and the wardrobe I want giving me full capability of the concept I will be executing.

I also do a bit of drawing in my manipulation work when it comes to blending, lighting, and parts of the models I use.

Some of my manipulations can be viewed here (http://www.modelmayhem.com/808565).

However, I do not know what my style of art falls under most likely and what type of program will benefit me the most and my future career.

The programs I applied to were (university followed by program):
OCAD (Ontario College of Art and Design) - Graphic Design (4 years - degree)
Sheridan & York Joint - Design (4 years - degree)
Sheridan - Photography (4 years + work internship - degree)
Sheridan - Illustration (4 years + work internship - degree)
Sheridan - Art Fundamentals (1 year and then apply to Illustration)
Humber - Graphic Design (3 years - diploma)

My goal is to be able to do artwork for musicians as well as hollywood movie posters.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! :jmp:

moodydog
25-01-12, 21:21
I never took Photography, but Design encompasses an element of photography. Looking at the work you do, it seems very graphic, and influenced by the Gothic era.
Design... do you mean Graphic Design, because illustration is a form of graphic design which illustrates a written text or idea, like the illustrations in a book. Covers for a film or game will illustrate the story or the character descriptions.
I think Graphic Design is more to do with advertisement, or to inform...

I would recommend either illustration or Graphic design. Whatever one you take, you will be awesome at, if that's you skill level. But I would say the Graphic Design gives you more of a freedom to think outside the box a little, and be a little bit more creative. :)

Dingaling
25-01-12, 21:26
The best thing to do would be to get in touch with the university administrators that deal with the courses you're looking at and ask them for what course would be best suitable for what you want to do. You have 4 Sheridan University programs listed there so it'd be worth at least calling them up and asking them since, from the looks of it, you're favouring them anyway.

If the Uni. is worth its salt they'll spend a little time talking to you and helping you out anyway.

Tombcool
25-01-12, 21:51
^^

That's funny because the university professors did not know whether my work was either (best suited for) design, photography, or illustration.:p

Quasimodo
25-01-12, 21:58
I think it depends on what you want to do with the program. It seems to me that a design program would give you a flexible base of theory you could apply toward any visual art. If you're wanting to get into a program that makes you more competitive in a particular job market, the programs with internships sound like a way to go.

Tombcool
25-01-12, 22:11
I think it depends on what you want to do with the program. It seems to me that a design program would give you a flexible base of theory you could apply toward any visual art. If you're wanting to get into a program that makes you more competitive in a particular job market, the programs with internships sound like a way to go.

I never took Photography, but Design encompasses an element of photography. Looking at the work you do, it seems very graphic, and influenced by the Gothic era.
Design... do you mean Graphic Design, because illustration is a form of graphic design which illustrates a written text or idea, like the illustrations in a book. Covers for a film or game will illustrate the story or the character descriptions.
I think Graphic Design is more to do with advertisement, or to inform...

I would recommend either illustration or Graphic design. Whatever one you take, you will be awesome at, if that's you skill level. But I would say the Graphic Design gives you more of a freedom to think outside the box a little, and be a little bit more creative. :)

Thank you for taking the time to help me.:)

Both of you mention the direction as to where I would like to head. I edited the bottom of my first post, and basically said I would like to do movie posters as well as artwork for bands, and possibly novel covers. :) I would also like to send out messages with my artwork (so concept work)... I would like to do more, but I do not know what the step would be after that.

@moodydog, Design is also more broad @ Sheridan and York, where you design 3D products. Not what I am interested in...

moodydog
25-01-12, 22:24
Thank you for taking the time to help me.:)

Both of you mention the direction as to where I would like to head. I edited the bottom of my first post, and basically said I would like to do movie posters as well as artwork for bands, and possibly novel covers. :) I would also like to send out messages with my artwork (so concept work)... I would like to do more, but I do not know what the step would be after that.

@moodydog, Design is also more broad @ Sheridan and York, where you design 3D products. Not what I am interested in...

Movie posters and artwork for bands, definitely do either Graphic design or Illustration. As a course, I don't think it really matters too much, both will probably get you to the same point. Can you post the courses so I can have a good look at them? :)

EDIT Oh I see you already have posted the courses, I will look at them now and tell you which one I would go for :)

^^

That's funny because the university professors did not know whether my work was either (best suited for) design, photography, or illustration.:p

Hmm, that's because it probably fits in all three. Do the one you like the sound of the most.

Tombcool
25-01-12, 22:29
Yup!

Here is Illustration @ Sheridan:
http://www.sheridancollege.ca/programs%20and%20courses/full-time%20programs/programs%20a-z%20index/bachelor%20of%20applied%20arts%20-%20illustration.aspx

Graphic Design @ OCAD:
http://www.ocadu.ca/Page941.aspx

Photography @ Sheridan:
http://www.sheridancollege.ca/programs%20and%20courses/full-time%20programs/programs%20a-z%20index/applied%20photography.aspx

moodydog
25-01-12, 22:39
Yup!

Here is Illustration @ Sheridan:
http://www.sheridancollege.ca/programs%20and%20courses/full-time%20programs/programs%20a-z%20index/bachelor%20of%20applied%20arts%20-%20illustration.aspx

Graphic Design @ OCAD:
http://www.ocadu.ca/Page941.aspx

Photography @ Sheridan:
http://www.sheridancollege.ca/programs%20and%20courses/full-time%20programs/programs%20a-z%20index/applied%20photography.aspx

I would personally go for either the Graphic Design or the Illustration. Both look like good courses (I wouldn't do a photography course, but that's just me, as I like to have a hand made element, and only use photographs as the base for my work, and then work on top of the photographs.)

In something like Graphic design, you really can do whatever you want to do. There isn't really any boundaries unless you go far out of the requirements. You can do a canvas painting if you wanted to, but usually it needs to have a form of text/ typography. Like the name of the band, or some sort of advertisement/ promotional aspect.

Illustration doesn't have to involve text. Its usually just imagery to describe text.

Like I said before, it doesn't matter too much... I would expect both to be roughly similar. And I imagine you could produce roughly the same type of work in either.

Larapink
26-01-12, 00:57
Honestly if anything my experience at University has taught me is to one thing is just to choose the course that you are most interested in what you reflects what you would like to do in the future. :tmb:

Also it would be helpful to you if you visit the Universities you like and some perhaps your not interested in that much as visiting these Uni's will mean a bit more than just reading up on them on their websites.

I study a similar academic degree, well in BA (Hons) 3D Games Art - (The Art & Animation behind video games) at University. But I also have experience in Photography & Film Production as well. The industries we are working now to get into they are vast and you can go anywhere with your degree. You don't have to stick to what you may have learned with your degree if you have other interests in the industry for example film production you can also get in to the industry if you have experience with you. As this industry is the most exciting & inspiring.

What will help you the most in the Photography, Graphic Design & Illustration industries is to put together a portfolio showcasing your best & interesting work. Start building this portfolio now, try to include a wide variety in artwork anything from Photographic works, Sketches, Digital Work (Photoshop..) and Creative Projects. What also might help you out is to create a Deviant Art account this will help you to get your work seen & possibly you may get critique that will help you to improve your work. You may want to consider creating a website, and you could try to find some work experience in a Graphics/Illustration or Photography company and you could build up your CV & Business Cards this will help to create a professional employment package from there start small but eventually your work will get recognised. :) Sometimes you may get negative feedback but never let this get to you the industry is tough but always have a thick skin. As it will only make you stronger and you will be able to achieve your dreams that much more. Always make sure your are current with your ability and always see how you can push your work to get better than how you are currently. This will be a rewarding experience as you will see how far you are now compared to when you started!

Keep visiting art museums as this will keep you inspired!

As a general thing about University is that the career information will probably discussed with you in lectures. As University is a professional environment.

All I will say choose what you are truly interested in and also make sure your work covers a vast ground in the subject you choose.

I would like to say Good Luck to you! :tmb:

I hope this helps you. :) :hug:

pekirock
26-01-12, 03:09
I would say with something based on Photography, but if youre interested in exploring something new then why not go towards something like illustration or art fundementals? I guess its all up to you

I actually applied to all of those except Humber, so if you end up getting in those we might see each other! :p
The only program thats the same as mine is Sheridan for Illustration (I actually live like 20 mins walking distance from Sheridan lol)
:)

OH and did you check out Concordia in Montreal? I heard they had an amazing art program! The only downside is that its very competative

moodydog
26-01-12, 09:20
why not do an Art Foundation? ALWAYS the best choice even if you are sure where you want to go.

Avalon SARL
26-01-12, 19:47
I think Either Design or Illustration

You designs are nice, I did not know what they really are :p except that they all included women and to tell you the truth I hated the way you are depicting them, still they are very well done
:)

Tombcool
11-03-12, 21:02
Thank you guys for your advice and encouragement. :)

I just finished my interviews for OCAD's Photography and Sheridan's Photography program. I learned those are the best routes for me now as both programs incorporate manipulation in their degrees.

At OCAD, I can even minor in a drawing/illustration if I wanted to.

Profs really liked my work. :)

Aphrodite22
11-03-12, 22:24
Thats hard. But what sounds best is the OCAD. :)