PDA

View Full Version : Low IQ & Conservative Beliefs Linked to Prejudice

Solice
27-01-12, 04:55
For the Ditto heads (http://news.yahoo.com/low-iq-conservative-beliefs-linked-prejudice-180403506.html):D

Quasimodo
27-01-12, 05:05
Mmm, dat pop psychology.

sierra xb
27-01-12, 05:33
i have seen alot of reports about studies like this, but this has got to be one of the most idiotic ones that i have seen in a long time. I don't know how large the sample group was for the first study, but the seond one of only around 250 people? That's not nearly enough for as good estimate. In my personal experience, i have known plenty of uneducated people who were liberal AND racist. Racism doesn't seem to have a specific political background from what I have seen in the real world. Liberal and conservative seem to be about equal on that one.

Uzi master
27-01-12, 05:39
The study isn't saying all conservatives and people with low I.Q. are racist, just that it's more likely.

sierra xb
27-01-12, 05:47
^ yeah, i got that part, but when the sample groups are in the low 100's and the world population is over 7 billion, you have to kind of question the results. There are all kinds of outside factors that can be affecting the results, so it is anything but conclusive.

benjamin_2010
27-01-12, 07:25
I guess I don't know many conservatives in my life, but the ones I have met or known in my family seem to always put themselves and their money before everything else. That really bugs me.. I would never put money before fellow humans. Also, the conservative party has been waging class warfare against the poor for years now. They are just present themselves on the whole as a group who never wants to change. Not very conducive to society as a whole.

I know some libs who are racist to an extent, but sometimes it is unavoidable, I think. It's an unfortunate product of growing up in communities where everyone is the same :/ there are some white, black, asian, anyone who could be susceptible of that happening.

TombRaiderFan.
27-01-12, 10:56
Based on the decent amount of conservatives I've met in the last seven years I'd say that there tends to be more racism among them than the independents or liberals I've come across. That's my experience though. However, I know plenty of people who are not one bit racist and are still conservative. The study isn't very conclusive in that respect.

I've even come across homophobic liberals (I know, what?! lol). So...ya.

The study does make an unquestionable finding: racist people are dumb, period! :vlol: (they are, I dare anyone to prove otherwise :p)

Catapharact
27-01-12, 10:59
Oh the LOL-ery at the vagueness of this study :vlol:.

Ironic since people around here had a problem with the study I posted that made the conclusion that women do not find smiling men attractive. Atleast that study has no question and sample bias in it and had a more tangible sample base of over 2000 people :p.

Since when did views like "I would like to work with "such and such" race" and "family life suffers if Mom is working full time" have been branded conservative values? Have these guys been using the American Republicans as their baseline marker for fiscal and social conservatism?

If so... Boy oh boy will I never rely on studies posted by Brock School of Ontario (ironically, it is a school tangibly known for its focus on Liberal Arts ;).)

Mad Tony
27-01-12, 11:34
I tend to take most studies with a pinch of salt. One study says one thing and then another will say another. IQ and intelligence have nothing to do with political beliefs and I think most people recognize that. Same goes for prejudice.

Legend 4ever
27-01-12, 13:48
^Edit: Huh, it's hard for unintelligent people to be open-minded and "get" stuff that's just a little bit different from the norm. Makes perfect sense.

Duh. We don't need a study to know that.

Mad Tony
27-01-12, 13:52
^Edit: Huh, it's hard for unintelligent people to be open-minded and "get" stuff that's just a little bit different from the norm. Makes perfect sense.That makes sense. What however doesn't is that those with low IQs are somehow more inclined to be conservative.

Draco
27-01-12, 15:55
IQ has nothing to do with being liberal or conservative, despite my personal opinion that liberals are wackjob idiots with no sense of perspective anchored in reality. But again, not really related to IQ.

Eddie Haskell
27-01-12, 16:15
It's really not about intelligence, it's about knowledge, diversity and tolerance. I have been around this world many, many times, and have seen people on every side of every issue, and have witnessed the human condition from the lowliest slums to the loftiest penthouse. I have seen people in some countries that would make the KKK look like the Rainbow Coalition. But you know they do not believe that their thinking is wrong, because they are truly ignorant of the world and other people./cultures. This occurs for the most part in homogenous cultures, countries and even in select towns and villages in what would otherwise be a liberal thinking area/country. I could tell you some unbelievably racist stories that would make you sick that were told to me by people who totally believed that they were the truth.

Here in the USA, those who reside in the big cities have a wider (more liberal) view of the world and its people. Simply because they are exposed to the diversity that comes with living next to and coexisting with the various cultures and people from around the world. In many small towns and rural areas this does not exist or is subdued. The citizens of the heavily urban areas learn diversity at an early age, and because their friends, neighbors and shopkeepers consist of a hodge-podge of ethnicity they (for the most part) do not develop a fear of cultural differences or buy into racial or ethnic stereotypes.

leglion
27-01-12, 16:54
Conservatives tend to be more racist... and racists are dumb. I'd say this study is very accurate.

tomblover
27-01-12, 17:01
The results of this research were already proven by common sense... :vlol:

tomekkobialka
27-01-12, 17:03
So just because you're racist means that you're more likely to be dumb? Sorry, but that's just simply not true.

Archetype
27-01-12, 17:05
Conservatives tend to be more racist... and racists are dumb.

And that would be prejudice.

leglion
27-01-12, 17:05
So just because you're racist means that you're more likely to be dumb? Sorry, but that's just simply not true.

Lol yes it is. The whole concept of racism is stupid. You must be very stupid to live by it.

And that would be prejudice.
Not if it's true.

Archetype
27-01-12, 17:14
Not if it's true.

But how do you know it's true?

tomblover
27-01-12, 17:29
But how do you know it's true?
Common sense. Just sayin'.

tomekkobialka
27-01-12, 17:38
Lol yes it is. The whole concept of racism is stupid. You must be very stupid to live by it.

But you don't have to be unintelligent to be a racist. Someone can be extremely intelligent and yet still be a racist because of a past event - I know many intelligent people who are racist, in fact. :p

Mad Tony
27-01-12, 17:39
Conservatives tend to be more racist... and racists are dumb. I'd say this study is very accurate.No they don't. Racism has nothing do with political orientation.

Common sense. Just sayin'.What exactly are you referring to here?

Eddie Haskell
27-01-12, 17:41
No they don't. Racism has nothing do with political orientation.

What exactly are you referring to here?

It depends on how one is using/defining conservative in regards to this issue. It is not just a reference to a political party.

Mad Tony
27-01-12, 17:45
It depends on how one is using/defining conservative in regards to this issue. It is not just a reference to a political party.I never said anything about political parties.

Eddie Haskell
27-01-12, 17:57
I never said anything about political parties.

Correct, I should have said political in general.

leglion
27-01-12, 18:18
No they don't. Racism has nothing do with political orientation.

What exactly are you referring to here?

America was originally a very racist country. Conservatives dislike change and well, conserve. So you do the math on how they tend to be more racist conservatives than liberals. So yes, it does have SOMETHING to do with it whether you want acknowledge that or not. It's common sense and from the posts in this thread, people have seen the same through personal experience.

IMO, you must be stupid if you accept that some race is superior to others because of pigmentation.

Draco
27-01-12, 18:36
I don't know about that, while racism is definitely present in conservative circles, there is plenty of it in liberal circles too. Hell if I was black, I'd hate the way liberals talk down to me.

leglion
27-01-12, 18:40
I don't know about that, while racism is definitely present in conservative circles, there is plenty of it in liberal circles too. Hell if I was black, I'd hate the way liberals talk down to me.

Liberals don't talk down to me.

Mad Tony
27-01-12, 19:30
America was originally a very racist country. Conservatives dislike change and well, conserve. So you do the math on how they tend to be more racist conservatives than liberals. So yes, it does have SOMETHING to do with it whether you want acknowledge that or not. It's common sense and from the posts in this thread, people have seen the same through personal experience.That's a pretty flimsy argument if you ask me. "Conservatives hate change, America used to be a very racist country, therefore conservatives are racist". Your definition of conservative is flawed at best.

IMO, you must be stupid if you accept that some race is superior to others because of pigmentation.Was that directed at me? :confused:

leglion
27-01-12, 19:34
That's a pretty flimsy argument if you ask me. "Conservatives hate change, America used to be a very racist country, therefore conservatives are racist". Your definition of conservative is flawed at best.

Was that directed at me? :confused:

No, it was directed to the posts above yours.

is a political and social philosophy that promotes the maintenance of traditional institutions and supports, at the most, minimal and gradual change in society.

Every definition i can find agrees with my definition sooo. :whi: Is it mine or yours that is flawed?

Admles
27-01-12, 19:40
Conservatives tend to be more racist... and racists are dumb. I'd say this study is very accurate.

Mel Gibsons father......... rabid anti-semite, racist, holocaust denier...... and also a Jeopardy! grand champion......

Mad Tony
27-01-12, 19:41
Every definition i can find agrees with my definition sooo. :whi: Is it mine or yours that is flawed?Your definition was simply "dislike change" when that's not really the definition at all.

leglion
27-01-12, 19:43
Mel Gibsons father......... rabid anti-semite, racist, holocaust denier...... and also a Jeopardy! grand champion......

Knowing interesting facts doesn't exactly prove your intelligence.

Your definition was simply "dislike change" when that's not really the definition at all.
Did i say that was the only thing that defines a conservative? No. I used the one that supported my argument because the rest are irrelevant.

Mad Tony
27-01-12, 19:46
Did i say that was the only thing that defines a conservative? No. I used the one that supported my argument because the rest are irrelevant.Well that was the only "definition" you provided. As I said, it's not even correct anyway. Being conservative doesn't necessarily mean being against change.

leglion
27-01-12, 19:47
Well that was the only "definition" you provided. As I said, it's not even correct anyway. Being conservative doesn't necessarily mean being against change.

But did i say that was the only thing that defined a conservative? That's on you for assuming, no me.

Mad Tony
27-01-12, 19:48
But did i say that was the only thing that defined a conservative? That's on you for assuming, no me.You all but implied it. Normally when people post definitions they post the full one. I take it you cherry picked what you wanted because you knew the actual definition wouldn't fit your argument?

leglion
27-01-12, 19:49
You all but implied it. Normally when people post definitions they post the full one. I take it you cherry picked what you wanted because you knew the actual definition wouldn't fit your argument?

Oh yes, that also explains why i posted a full definition right after that also supported my argument. :rolleyes:

Mad Tony
27-01-12, 19:49
Oh yes, that also explains why i posted a full definition right after that also supported my argument. :rolleyes:Except that it didn't.

leglion
27-01-12, 19:50
Except that it didn't.

Please, elaborate.

Mad Tony
27-01-12, 19:59
Please, elaborate.Your definition that conservatism is a "political and social philosophy that promotes the maintenance of traditional institutions and supports, at the most, minimal and gradual change in society" doesn't mean "dislike change"

leglion
27-01-12, 20:00
Your definition that conservatism is a "political and social philosophy that promotes the maintenance of traditional institutions and supports, at the most, minimal and gradual change in society" doesn't mean "dislike change"

Then why don't they want change to happen(according to the definition)?

Mad Tony
27-01-12, 20:03
Then why don't they want change to happen(according to the definition)?The definition doesn't say they don't want change to happen.

You're looking at this in black and white really (no pun intended). Being conservative doesn't mean being opposed to all change, just like being liberal doesn't mean being in favor of changing everything.

leglion
27-01-12, 20:06
The definition doesn't say they don't want change to happen.

You're looking at this in black and white really (no pun intended). Being conservative doesn't mean being opposed to all change, just like being liberal doesn't mean being in favor of changing everything.

maintenance of traditional institutions and supports

They want things to to stay the same. If it changes it does not stay the same. So therefore they do not want change to happen. They certainly don't want change to happen because they love change. So therefore, conservatives dislike change. You don't even have to look at a definition because the name itself is self explanatory.

Mad Tony
27-01-12, 20:08
They want things to to stay the same. If it changes it does not stay the same. So therefore they do not want change to happen. They certainly don't want change to happen because they love change. So therefore, conservatives dislike change.You're ignoring the entire definition. You're only picking out what suits your argument. Even then, the "maintenance of traditional institutions and supports" doesn't mean being opposed to all change.

leglion
27-01-12, 20:10
You're ignoring the entire definition. You're only picking out what suits your argument. Even then, the "maintenance of traditional institutions and supports" doesn't mean being opposed to all change.

So why do they like little to no change in society? Because they like change?

Mad Tony
27-01-12, 20:12
So why do they like little to no change in society? Because they like change?If doesn't actually say that. It says "minimal to gradual".

leglion
27-01-12, 20:14
If doesn't actually say that. It says "minimal to gradual".

Yes, so they like minimal to gradual change because they like change?

Mad Tony
27-01-12, 20:15
Yes, so they like minimal to gradual change because they like change?This is what I mean by going to extremes.

Yes, in general conservatives will be more reluctant to change. However, that does not mean that they will be against any change what so ever.

leglion
27-01-12, 20:16
This is what I mean by going to extremes.

Yes, in general conservatives will be more reluctant to change. However, that does not mean that they will be against any change what so ever.

Still didn't answer the question. This is what we like to call beating around the bush ladies and gentlemen. It's a simple yes or no question.

Mad Tony
27-01-12, 20:18
Still didn't answer the question. This is what we like to call beating around the bush ladies and gentlemen. It's a simple yes or no question.Your question wasn't a serious question, it was just a silly sarcastic remark.

You accuse me of beating around the bush, but you're doing the same thing. :confused:

leglion
27-01-12, 20:20
Your question wasn't a serious question, it was just a silly sarcastic remark.

You accuse me of beating around the bush, but you're doing the same thing. :confused:

I assure you. It was a serious question.

Mad Tony
27-01-12, 20:23
Well it clearly wasn't, but I've already addressed it anyway.

We're going round in circles here. Why can't you accept that being conservative doesn't mean being against or reluctant to all change?

leglion
27-01-12, 20:24
Well it clearly wasn't, but I've already addressed it anyway.

We're going round in circles here. Why can't you accept that being conservative doesn't mean being against or reluctant to all change?

It was a yes or no question. Either yes or no. Do conservatives only want gradual change because they like change? If yes, how so?

Mad Tony
27-01-12, 20:26
It was a yes or no question. Either yes or no. Do conservatives only want gradual change because they like change? If yes, how so?Would depend entirely on what sort of change.

And once again it's a case of you only seeing things in black and white.

leglion
27-01-12, 20:28
Beating around the bush ONCE AGAIN. That says a lot. I'll take it as a no and i rest my case. Good day to you sir.

Mad Tony
27-01-12, 20:30
Beating around the bush ONCE AGAIN. That says a lot. I'll take it as a no and i rest my case. Good day to you sir.Says the person who completely ignored this:

I didn't even beat around the bush. I answered your question. As I said, stop looking at things in black and white.

Eddie Haskell
27-01-12, 20:48
This exchange is a perfect representation as to why I avoid getting involved in discussions of serious issues in this place.

Reggie
27-01-12, 20:51
Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives.

Read more: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/j/john_stuart_mill.html#ixzz1kh5cdQk2

/thread.

Draco
27-01-12, 20:55
Liberals don't talk down to me.

And you are?

leglion
27-01-12, 21:01
And you are?

Black.

Draco
27-01-12, 21:16
Then you haven't been paying much attention.

leglion
27-01-12, 21:19

Did you really just deny what people did not tell me?
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-fLAMZ1t_bSw/Tx4BL56tp9I/AAAAAAAAAmw/wyMAEkODJ4E/s1600/Crazy.gif

Draco
27-01-12, 21:23
It must be nice to go through life with meme blinders on.

leglion
27-01-12, 21:25
It must be nice to go through life with meme blinders on.

Oh you're serious? lol. You really are telling me if people talked down to me or not. Still hilarious.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lss1g2IlZA1qeqc1x.gif

Quasimodo
27-01-12, 21:26

Any recent examples of how liberals talk down to x minority group?

Draco
27-01-12, 21:29
Have you ever heard a Democrat not suggesting Minority X, Y, or Z shouldn't live on welfare?

Mad Tony
27-01-12, 21:31
/thread.Really Tom? :rolleyes: I thought you were above that.

I've met plenty of stupid people who aren't conservatives. In fact most of the stupid people I've met aren't don't even take any interest in politics at all.

larafan25
27-01-12, 21:32
Vague question for the majoirty...

How does one tell when they've met a stupid person? :confused:

Kelly Craftman
27-01-12, 21:32
/thread.

Excuse me? :p

Mad Tony
27-01-12, 21:35
Vague question for the majoirty...

How does one tell when they've met a stupid person? :confused:It's hard to explain. You usually get a vibe.

Unfortunately many people can't tell the difference between an opinion they strongly disagree with and a stupid person.

Reggie
27-01-12, 21:38
Really Tom? :rolleyes: I thought you were above that.

I've met plenty of stupid people who aren't conservatives. In fact most of the stupid people I've met aren't don't even take any interest in politics at all.
I had a feeling someone would miss the point of that.

The quote argues there's no direct correlation between conservatism and stupidity but that a percentage of stupid people will often opt for conservatism which would skew the results of already dubious test. The occupy movement has gotten a lot of flack lately but let's not forget the tea party's antics - ultimately, all sides of politics can be hijacked by idiots in a democracy.

Mad Tony
27-01-12, 21:40
I had a feeling someone would miss the point of that.

The quote argues there's no direct correlation between conservatism and stupidity but that a percentage of stupid people will often opt for conservatism which would skew the results of already dubious test. The occupy movement has gotten a lot of flack lately but let's not forget the tea party's antics - ultimately, all sides of politics can be hijacked by idiots in a democracy.Of course stupid people aren't more inclined to adopt conservative (or liberal) views. There's absolutely no correlation.

And yes, all sides of politics can be hijacked by idiots.

Reggie
27-01-12, 21:52
http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/tea-party-ted-meme-pro-life.jpg

Said hijackers on the side of conservatism.

http://blogs.westword.com/showandtell/occupy_opt.jpg
Said hijackers on side of socialism.

Maybe taking an international relations module turned me bitter when the lecturer confessed after I questioned him in a seminar in front of everyone that he would have allowed Hitler on his merry way in the name of maintaining a liberal status quo. Politics to me just looks like one giant incoherent noise with a select few powerful people pulling the real strings of power away from the cocophony.

I sound so anti-politics. I'll get over it one day. -_-

Weemanply109
27-01-12, 21:57
^Edit: Huh, it's hard for unintelligent people to be open-minded and "get" stuff that's just a little bit different from the norm. Makes perfect sense.

Duh. We don't need a study to know that.

Preach homie! :tmb:

Disclaimer: This post is resistant to argumentative members, if you disagree, don't inform me, I don't care.

Mad Tony
27-01-12, 21:57
Maybe taking an international relations module turned me bitter when the lecturer confessed after I questioned him in a seminar in front of everyone that he would have allowed Hitler on his merry way in the name of maintaining a liberal status quo.That's strange. I mean, allowing Hitler on his way would hardly have maintained the status quo would it?

My seminar leader for my international relations module was a hardcore socialist from what I gathered.

Reggie
27-01-12, 22:04
That's strange. I mean, allowing Hitler on his way would hardly have maintained the status quo would it?

My seminar leader for my international relations module was a hardcore socialist from what I gathered.
EXACTLY but that's the thing, it was only when Hitler wanted to take his reign of terror to the UK that we changed policy. It was all about appeasement until then and on an ideological level, it was posed that this should continue for as long as balance of power is under threat. No excuse for humanitarianism according to this guy I argued with - was a big enough justification for invasion or intervention.

Mad Tony
27-01-12, 22:06
EXACTLY but that's the thing, it was only when Hitler wanted to take his reign of terror to the UK that we changed policy. It was all about appeasement until then and on an ideological level, it was posed that this should continue for as long as balance of power is under threat. No excuse for humanitarianism according to this guy I argued with - was a big enough justification for invasion or intervention.To be fair the UK intervened when Hitler turned towards Poland, so you're not entirely correct there. We just grew some balls a couple of years late.

Reggie
27-01-12, 22:14
True, I overlooked that. Our intervention was out of an old treaty that itself was born out of a desire to protect the balance of power. I do agree that once the full scale of the nightmarish regime hit home, there was a tangible sense that the country was fighting the ideological fight so to speak. Not just glory as it had been in times gone by.

Dennis's Mom
27-01-12, 22:22
Have you ever heard a Democrat not suggesting Minority X, Y, or Z shouldn't live on welfare?

There's a double negative there, that I think reverses what you meant to say. Are you saying Democrats constantly suggest that Minority X, Y, or Z should not live on welfare?

Has anyone anywhere ever said Minority X should live on welfare?

leglion
27-01-12, 22:34
There's a double negative there, that I think reverses what you meant to say. Are you saying Democrats constantly suggest that Minority X, Y, or Z should not live on welfare?

Not i.

Draco
27-01-12, 23:17

How else would Democrats be elected? They depend on that welfare vote.

TRfan23
27-01-12, 23:19
I'm ignorant of politics indeed, regardless of how you teach me of the subject it'll never make sense to me :(
I just pick the area that I think is right in my point of view :)

But just because my views are centre to right-wing doesn't mean I'm dumb or racist O_o

I personally am Conservative, primarily because I find left-wing views irresistibly cringe-worthy/cheesy and partly due to upbringing.
I'm speaking of socially centre to right-wing here, in fact I'm probably the most right-winged person in my family in that area tbh. Such as my support for Capital Punishment...
I'm no where near right-wing enough though to be considered as a racist, homophobe/anti-gay, anti-feminist or anti anything relating to an innocent minority.

As for me being economically right-wing... I am strict when it comes to money, I associate Labour being too lenient when it comes to money and spend it willy-nilly. The conservatives aren't generally like that from what I've gathered... I have no problem with the rise in student tuition fees, though my brother & sister do.

As for prejudice, everyone prejudges ;)

There's more I'd write but it's late at night, and I might end up writing it in a way that I'd be accused of being a troll.

Eddie Haskell
27-01-12, 23:35
How else would Democrats be elected? They depend on that welfare vote.

Is this a serious response or an attempt at humor?

Draco
28-01-12, 00:03
Is this a serious response or an attempt at humor?

So you think Democrats would still be electable if everyone was doing reasonably well?

Ward Dragon
28-01-12, 00:36
In an attempt to keep the thread from turning into a fight, I'm going to poke fun at an article (http://www.livescience.com/17852-unhealthy-personality-traits-neuroticism.html) that was linked to in the original study from the first post :pi: It listed mental behaviors that supposedly reduce a person's life span, and it said this:

Cynics who tend to be suspicious and mistrustful of others, a character trait that scientists refer to as hostility, may have an increased likelihood of developing heart disease (http://www.livescience.com/11351-top-10-amazing-facts-heart.html). "These aren't necessarily hot-headed people, but people who are more likely to read into people's behavior as some hostile motive," Boyle said during a telephone interview.

I say that cynics are also less likely to go places with strangers and end up getting murdered, so it probably works out in the end XD

Anyhow, my point is that every study has to be limited in terms of what it takes into account because it's impossible to account for everything, so even if the racism study is technically true (which it might or might not be due to the small sample size), there's no way to tell if other factors are involved in the situation. Even if they got the data that they say they got, it doesn't prove that their interpretation is correct or applicable to the population as a whole.

leglion
28-01-12, 00:37
OOO no i hope Spong'll be alright! :( I'll message him asking him the last time he got his heart checked. :)

Mad Tony
28-01-12, 00:43
If Cynicism really was dangerous for you then Spong would've died several times over.

TombRaiderFan.
28-01-12, 00:43
So you think Democrats would still be electable if everyone was doing reasonably well?

Oh stop pretending as if the other side of the aisle gets the most classy and sophisticated voters. Republicans get a **** load of votes from backward thinking evangelists which are fundamentalist--a bad thing in my book. The Republican party would get nowhere without their blind vote.

Eddie Haskell
28-01-12, 00:57

I'm doing more than reasonably well and I have never voted for a Republican in the 30+ years I have voted. And to directly answer your question, it goes without saying.

benjamin_2010
28-01-12, 01:26
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_United_States

Despite rapid economic growth, the South still has persistent poverty, and every Southern state with the exceptions of Maryland, Virginia and Florida has a higher poverty rate than the American average. Poverty is especially prevalent in rural areas. Sociological research has indicated that Southern collective identity stems from political, demographic and cultural distinctiveness. Studies have shown that Southerners are more conservative than non-Southerners in several areas including religion, morality, international relations and race relations. This is especially evident during presidential elections and in religious attendance figures.

Demographically, the South has lower percentages of high school graduates, lower housing values, lower household incomes and higher percentages of people in poverty.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m256/phms2010/GIFS/4.gif

Mad Tony
28-01-12, 01:28
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/southern_united_states2+2=15.

leglion
28-01-12, 01:31
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_United_States

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m256/phms2010/GIFS/4.gif

Yep, that pretty much proves it.

Mad Tony
28-01-12, 01:33
No it doesn't. :hea: Are people honestly this simple and blinkered?

leglion
28-01-12, 01:34

Yes, yes it does.

Archetype
28-01-12, 01:38
Are people honestly this simple and blinkered?

Yes.

Mad Tony
28-01-12, 01:39
Yes, yes it does.Riddle me this then:

Here in the UK the situation is pretty much reversed: the south of the country is more prosperous than the north. The south over here also happens to be the most conservative part of the country. I should also mention at this point that the areas with most racial tensions are almost always Labour controlled. For those who don't know, the Labour party are our dominant left-wing party, equivalent to your Democrats.

What does this mean? Well, not a lot really, except that the poor tend to vote Labour. Of course, going by your logic it would mean that conservatives are in fact not more inclined to be racist. Quite the opposite.

Yes.Seems like it. At this point though I'm starting to think I'm being trolled.

benjamin_2010
28-01-12, 01:40
Are people honestly this simple and blinkered?

Apparently southern conservatives are.
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m256/phms2010/GIFS/meryl-streep-deal-with-it.gif

Mad Tony
28-01-12, 01:41
That's a bit of a broad generalization is it not? I mean, just by looking at this thread it appears a lot of liberals are blinkered and simple too.

Archetype
28-01-12, 01:45
Seems like it. At this point though I'm starting to think I'm being trolled.

It's generalisations and stereotypes. Southern man is right wing, therefore Southern man must be:

a) Stupid
b) Narrow minded
c) Racist

Much like conservatives, liberals are just as likely to tick at least 1 of the 3 boxes.

Uzi master
28-01-12, 01:49

The problem here is you're trying to be too politically correct denying the possibly that anything bad can be correlated to any specific group, like (like as in a simile not literally saying the two are exactly the same as you commonly miss-interpret) saying modern Neo-Nazis aren't bad because they haven't started a holocaust yet.

There not saying every conservtive is dumb and racist, every racist is dumb and conservative or every dumb person is conservative and racist it's saying someone who's one of those is more likely to be more one of the others as well.

Or in other words a poorly educated conservative is more likely to be racist than someone who is a statistical-genius liberal, not that one groups members are always racist and the others is never. Deal with it.

Mad Tony
28-01-12, 01:51
Or in other words a poorly educated conservative is more likely to be racist than someone who is a statistical-genius liberal, not that one groups members are always racist and the others is never. Deal with it.Umm, I never denied this? If we're bringing education into this then of course the poorly educated person (regardless of political orientation) is more likely to be racist.

As for the rest of your post, it was just a jumble, although I don't really see how neo-Nazis fit into this.

benjamin_2010
28-01-12, 01:54
just by looking at this thread it appears a lot of liberals are blinkered and simple too.

Idk about people in this thread, but nobody ever said there weren't any simple minded liberals?

If we're going to go by "looking at this thread" I'd say that liberals are much more keen to admitting faults with their own party, instead of their conservative counterparts who seem to think their party is perfect.

Mad Tony
28-01-12, 01:56
Idk about people in this thread, but nobody ever said there weren't any simple minded liberals?

If we're going to go by "looking at this thread" I'd say that liberals are much more keen to admitting faults with their own party, instead of their conservative counterparts who seem to think their party is perfect.Who thinks their party is perfect? The only person I've seen talk about the parties is Draco and I know for a fact he doesn't like a lot of aspects of the modern Republican party. This isn't even about parties anyway.

My point is that there have been so many people coming into this thread and making ridiculous generalizations and jumping to conclusions.

TombRaiderFan.
Seems like it. At this point though I'm starting to think I'm being trolled.

I lol'd

Draco
I'm doing more than reasonably well and I have never voted for a Republican in the 30+ years I have voted. And to directly answer your question, it goes without saying.

So you admit to being partisan in the way you vote? That sounds rather... closed minded.

benjamin_2010
28-01-12, 01:57
My point is that there have been so many people coming into this thread and making ridiculous generalizations and jumping to conclusions.

But they're researched conclusions, that's the whole point of the thread. :)

tomblover
28-01-12, 02:19
What exactly are you referring to here? That racists are invariably dumb... seriously, when has being close-minded ever done anything for the better of the world? :confused:

AmericanAssassin
28-01-12, 07:07
Is it bad that when I read the title I thought "duh?" To be honest, I've always thought that most conservative beliefs were based on ignorance. (Social issues, specifically.) Plus, I've met waaaaay more prejudice conservatives in my time. Majority of the people I know who come across as open-minded and thoughtful are also liberal. Speaking from experience and opinion.

moodydog
28-01-12, 11:30
Once again, I don't really know anything about conservative views and racism linked to low intelligence, so I don't really have an opinion on this.
Though, I can say, a lot of racist people I have come across were as dumb as ****. :whi:

Having a low IQ does not make you dumb... by the way.
Some people with low IQ's have actually become successful through their ideas and their motivation to make something of themselves.

Mad Tony
28-01-12, 11:55
That racists are invariably dumb... seriously, when has being close-minded ever done anything for the better of the world? :confused:Ok, fair enough. Can't disagree there.

Is it bad that when I read the title I thought "duh?" To be honest, I've always thought that most conservative beliefs were based on ignorance. (Social issues, specifically.) Plus, I've met waaaaay more prejudice conservatives in my time. Majority of the people I know who come across as open-minded and thoughtful are also liberal. Speaking from experience and opinion.That may be your own experience but the fact is you can find ignorant people from all across the political spectrum.

Eddie Haskell
28-01-12, 18:29
So you admit to being partisan in the way you vote? That sounds rather... closed minded.

I am answering this, but since it is way off-topic I'll not respond again.

I agree for the most part with the Democratic party platform, and have felt this way since high school. Until we increase the number of parties to better break down the various elements of what falls (or can fall) under governmental policy, the Democrats best represent my overall values and concepts as it relates. Closed minded? At 52 years of age, and having seen much in my lifetime, I have seen and experienced first hand most sides of every issue that is before us. And since we are faced electorally with what amounts to two very large tents (with an occasional independent twist), one is more or less faced with voting decisions that are not always totally in step with all of ones beliefs. However, from a basic, purely political philosophy angle, I am totally in lockstep with the progressive position.

Draco
29-01-12, 04:54
That is unfortunate, but I guess you can't have two sides without actually having two sides. I just wish the Democrats were more responsible and looked more at the big picture.

Solice
31-01-12, 05:44
i have seen alot of reports about studies like this, but this has got to be one of the most idiotic ones that i have seen in a long time. I don't know how large the sample group was for the first study, but the seond one of only around 250 people? That's not nearly enough for as good estimate. In my personal experience, i have known plenty of uneducated people who were liberal AND racist. Racism doesn't seem to have a specific political background from what I have seen in the real world. Liberal and conservative seem to be about equal on that one.

That is part of the reason I find it humorous, It's a small sampling? Also, a good researcher does not inject their own preconceptions into a study. A bad researcher would say, "I know this is true, I will prove it". It colors the results.

Since the sample was so small and the conclusions fit so neatly into a common stereotype, I think it's likely the results where decided before the study began.

sierra xb
31-01-12, 06:25
That is part of the reason I find it humorous, It's a small sampling? Also, a good researcher does not inject their own preconceptions into a study. A bad researcher would say, "I know this is true, I will prove it". It colors the results.

Since the sample was so small and the conclusions fit so neatly into a common stereotype, I think it's likely the results where decided before the study began.

unfortunately, that is common in alot of research. When I was studying geology at uni, most of the professors/students that were writing papers or working on projects started out with an idea that they wanted to prove, rather than just studying an area and letting the data decide what was going on. Granted alot of projects are problem-solving, but personal bias creeps in to some degree no matter what. Data that supports the theory is used, and data that contradicts it is thrown out or stuck in a footnote.

To me, after reading the report, what i saw was someone who came into this with a pre-concieved idea, and did the minimum amount of work necessary to "prove" their point. That's the other problem with stats...they can be twisted any number of ways to prop up an argument.

Solice
01-02-12, 03:41
True, statistics can be manipulated any way by changing the base line. We see it with the unemployment numbers. One cannot compare todays numbers to those of the past (I am not sure how far back). Because now they consider the 'pool of available jobs' to massage the numbers down.

I also never trust surveys. Lets say someone wants to prove Americans care about the environment, so she goes to a Green Peace rally to do the sampling. The CNN, CNBC and Fox polls are also really laughable.

Alpharaider47
01-02-12, 06:19
That's so funny, I found that high spending and intolerance were linked to Democrats.
Oh yeah, sample size was a class of 30 in Paso Robles, California.

:pi: I can make super schweet surveys too.

D'aw sociology, ain't you special. Anthropology is where it's at. :cool: