PDA

View Full Version : Google finally admits it wants to OWN YOU

tlr online
30-01-12, 16:49
Mountain View's Chocolate Factory is putting its vast userbase on notice of major changes to its privacy policies.

Come 1 March the 350 million people worldwide who have Gmail accounts, for example, will no longer be able to use that service in isolation of other Google products they browse to online.

That's because the company's Terms of Service are changing.

Some will argue that Google is merely doing some neat housekeeping by cutting and shutting the majority of its 70 privacy policies into one clean explanation of what will happen with the information users input into the company's array of products.

Others might note that these privacy tweaks are coming ahead of any public antitrust battle Google potentially faces on both sides of the Atlantic where formal regulatory probes of the world's largest ad broker are already well underway.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/01/25/google_shakes_up_terms_of_service/

What do you guys think about this?

patriots88888
30-01-12, 16:53
I'm glad I don't use Gmail or any other services by Google really. I'll only use their search engine but that's as far as that goes. And it's obvious that has been their goal since Google's inception.

xLara_Nathanx
30-01-12, 16:55
o.o That is very creepy. Helloooo? Privacy?

:pi: No seriously though...

NRO.
30-01-12, 16:59
Jesus Google, use lotion next time.

Ward Dragon
30-01-12, 17:04
It was only a matter of time. I stopped using Google a long time ago because I didn't like their privacy policy, and now it's even worse. I've deleted my Youtube account and I no longer have any kind of sign-in for anything related to Google. I don't like the idea of being tracked everywhere I go online.

sandygrimm
30-01-12, 17:05
we always knew it! I never wanted even their chrome! just the engine! but even that's fowl too.

tlr online
30-01-12, 17:05
Over the next few weeks I'm going to be deleting all my Google services too apart from AdSense.

Larapink
30-01-12, 17:08
It's an unsettling feeling that Google & Youtube have changed their privacy policy. To what kind of privacy? Privacy has gone down the drain on the internet.

It's time to delete both my Youtube account & Google account. :pi:

NRO.
30-01-12, 17:10
Over the next few weeks I'm going to be deleting all my Google services too apart from AdSense.

I'm tempted to do that too, but I love YouTube. Despite anything that they did. <3

larafan25
30-01-12, 17:14
Ohmygawd.

Why youtube.

LOADS of music...I couldn't delete that. :(

irishhips
I would love delete my Gmail....but the bastard is connected to my youtube account and I don't lose that!!!

Zelda master
These days everyone can look up almost anything about someone, and companies can do the exact same. I'm not worried, I do think they are taking it a step to far, but you can't change things. This would happen eventually no matter how you look at it, and look at how big Google has become...

klona
30-01-12, 17:15
Can anyone please summarize what's going on with google for me? :D

Liara
30-01-12, 17:17
Even if they're able to keep track of what we're doing online that doesn't mean we'll be singled out. There are thousands of people that use Google, what's the worst they could do?

patriots88888
30-01-12, 17:24
Even if they're able to keep track of what we're doing online that doesn't mean we'll be singled out. There are thousands of people that use Google, what's the worst they could do?

Well, speaking only for myself I wouldn't be happy with anyone tracking my online activity... it's a question of principle for me. I posted a video(s) in MGC on this and I still LOL about that part where the tables were turned on them and they became irate about that. I guess what is good for the goose really isn't good for the gander. Basically, Google wants to sell you everything and anything and will go to any extremes to achieve that.

The Great Chi
30-01-12, 18:31
Removed due to too much info divulged :pi:

You never know who is watching ....google perhaps :yik:

Greenapple968
30-01-12, 18:39
I only use the search engine.

Dark Lugia 2
30-01-12, 18:50
Will I still be able to use my university email then? They use Gmail but the actual email address doesnt have gmail in it. :S

NCFirebolt21
30-01-12, 20:34
****in' ****. It's taken me nearly 5 years to hold my account together against copyright strikes and everything and now Google wants to destroy our privacy. F'n hell.

Larapink
30-01-12, 21:16
Will I still be able to use my university email then? They use Gmail but the actual email address doesnt have gmail in it. :S
Not unless you don't mind your privacy being monitored and stored saved in an area of a corporate building that holds every single detail about you, some where in America. :pi:

Anyway you're better off with Hotmail. :tmb:

Scorpio1991
30-01-12, 21:38
I'm a little confused by this, what is so bad about this?
From what I read all this is doing is combining all your Google accounts into one.
Did I miss something?

Ceamonks890
30-01-12, 22:15
Google invading everyone's privacy!!:yik: As much as I'd like to remove my YouTube account, I just can't. I hope that Google get taken to court for this, because this is a violation of everyone's privacy rights:mad:

scoopy_loopy
31-01-12, 00:27
It's annoying. *sigh*

Johnnay
31-01-12, 00:47
It was only a matter of time. I stopped using Google a long time ago because I didn't like their privacy policy, and now it's even worse. I've deleted my Youtube account and I no longer have any kind of sign-in for anything related to Google. I don't like the idea of being tracked everywhere I go online.

you see, this is why Chrome is ****, exactly the same thing, but hey whatever floats your boat

i wouldnt be Suprised if they did this on Android too.

Draco
31-01-12, 01:07
Since the advent of the 'cookie' there has been no privacy on the internet.

Trinity34
31-01-12, 01:10

Yeah.... I don't know why anyone would think there is ANY privacy on the internet. Just sounds like Google wants to consolidate. Don't the ads on this forum already look at our cookies? Seems like it to me......

Reggie
31-01-12, 01:19
I have wanted to delete my Google account for a while but its tied to my Youtube account. Its almost like blackmail - delete us, lose your online audience. Sucks.

TRLegendLuver
31-01-12, 04:46
So wait, if I use the search that does count or do I actually have to be a member with them?

Tony9595
31-01-12, 05:09
I'm a little confused by this, what is so bad about this?
From what I read all this is doing is combining all your Google accounts into one.
Did I miss something?

That's what I understood as well and I can't see how that's a bad thing at all... :p

I may delete my Google+ account, it's been months since I last checked that thing. I'll still use a Gmail account for my Android though. :pi:

TombRaiderFan.
31-01-12, 05:09
I have a gmail account which is linked to a YouTube account. I don't like any of this. At least I don't own an Android phone or tablet. Too bad I can't delete my gmail account, I have too many important things that I get to that account. :( Oh well, I hope Google doesn't find me interesting enough to stalk me too much. :p

Does using programs such as CCleaner help with this? Supposedly it removes cookies and other things. I've been using it to clear everything after I use the browser and before I turn off my computer but I'm not sure if it has any relevant effect.

TRLegendLuver
31-01-12, 05:13
I made a YouTube account a long time ago and then Google kept pushing me to make an account to synch with the YT one. So if I delete the Google thing that will delete my YT?

voltz
31-01-12, 07:04
I believe you can keep Google, but you can't keep youtube.

TRLegendLuver
31-01-12, 07:09
^ If that's the case, that's ridiculous because I made my YT account way before I was asked consistently by Google to make an account to synch with them. :pi:

TombRaiderFan.
31-01-12, 07:18
You'd have to delete both, right? I can't tell.

Google+YouTube scare me. Out of nowhere the other days I was browsing YouTube and then I see that it somehow figured out who I'm contacts with! So it would show me the videos my friends were checking out. Then I started to wonder if they can see what I've been looking at! :eek: It's just scary man...I don't like it one bit. :(

Lara Croft!
31-01-12, 11:05
I have a SONY Xperia Mini and in order to use 90% of the online sites I need to login with a g-mail account. :hea: Screw you Google. I hate to admit that I love Chrome, Youtube and their search engine of course. :o

Reggie
31-01-12, 11:09
^Just to confirm I had to delete my Youtube account to delete my Google account.

A shame I've lost 120+ subscribers and over 800,000 views across my videos but I won't be blackmailed.

klona
31-01-12, 12:32
I only use youtube, do I have a google account?
What happens to me now? :p

lord gaga
31-01-12, 12:39
OH GOD! I'll need to change to my yahoo email :(. All my teachers have my gmail account and i don't want to delete my youtube! :cen:

jaywalker
31-01-12, 12:58
hm i can see why people would be like `omg` reaction wise depending on how u've used the products before, however since i've been on google almost lock stock for a while now and it powers my phone and the like its kinda like `oh okay` to me.. the info i have on there is the same across them all already so theres no change..

Eddie Haskell
31-01-12, 13:06
I never link any of my various accounts that Google controls. I also never give out any information that is not absolutely mandatory, and for Google they don't even know my real name or much else. Linking stuff together is a recipe for disaster. They try and tell you that linking them is great for you, but really, it's just great for them.

I have many email accounts, and all have a purpose. I keep an old school small paper notebook with all pertinent information inside that shows what is what. My main email address is only linked to my financial stuff, and to my closest personal friends and family.

jaywalker
31-01-12, 13:25
Google have released this today.

http://googlepublicpolicy.blogspot.com/2012/01/changing-our-privacy-policies-not-our.html

explains abit about whats NOT changing..

EmeraldFields
31-01-12, 13:36
Just got done deleting my Google account as well. I didn't really use it much though. Mostly just to view YT video which might be blocked.

MiCkiZ88
31-01-12, 15:10
Aren't some of you going a bit extreme over something that was falsely reported? I'm not going to delete my youtube account just because Google is behind it. Jay's link explains how your private stuff is still private. They are not selling that.

klona
31-01-12, 15:11
^ So nothing is bad after all?

Draco
31-01-12, 15:11
Does using programs such as CCleaner help with this? Supposedly it removes cookies and other things. I've been using it to clear everything after I use the browser and before I turn off my computer but I'm not sure if it has any relevant effect.

All of the collected data is still on their information index servers. So, no matter how often you clean sweep, they still get what they need.

I'm not saying you shouldn't use programs like CCleaner, they do help keep your computer running smoothly, but using them with the intention of hiding your information from The Man, is naive.

The Great Chi
31-01-12, 15:57
Aren't some of you going a bit extreme over something that was falsely reported? I'm not going to delete my youtube account just because Google is behind it. Jay's link explains how your private stuff is still private. They are not selling that.No, but they do give it INSTANTLY to goverment agencies if asked for, so they can see what you are interested in.

When you google anything, it is collated for (if I remember two years) before being deleted.

There are alternative search engines that do not keep your information for so long.

Ward Dragon
31-01-12, 16:02
Aren't some of you going a bit extreme over something that was falsely reported? I'm not going to delete my youtube account just because Google is behind it. Jay's link explains how your private stuff is still private. They are not selling that.

They might not sell the information to their competitors, but they're certainly using private data in order to tailor their ad-spam to people (plus the concerns that were raised in the previous post by The Great Chi). I never used my Youtube account much anyway, or my g-mail for that matter, so I saw no reason to keep those accounts.

I had originally signed up to Youtube with a hotmail account so when I tried to sign into Youtube recently it forced me to connect it to my g-mail account and then proceeded to "recommend" videos based on what I had been browsing outside of Youtube. That's when I deleted the Youtube and the g-mail.

All of the collected data is still on their information index servers. So, no matter how often you clean sweep, they still get what they need.

I'm not saying you shouldn't use programs like CCleaner, they do help keep your computer running smoothly, but using them with the intention of hiding your information from The Man, is naive.

True, but NoScript seems to be effective at blocking google's tracking, assuming that I don't override it (such as to get g-mail working, which was a mistake). I think the responsible script is called Google Analytics, and in any case I don't trust it due to the name, so I've got that script forbidden :p

KC Mraz
31-01-12, 16:14
They're consolidating their services together, I don't see why I should panic about that. They won't have any more data about yourself that they would've had in the first place, except now it'll be recorded in a single pile instead of several separate chunks by service. It's... logical to me.

You can still only use only YouTube, or Gmail; yes, there'll also be a Google+ and Google Wallet, etc accounts ready for you to use but you're not obligated to use them.

MiCkiZ88
31-01-12, 16:40
They might not sell the information to their competitors, but they're certainly using private data in order to tailor their ad-spam to people (plus the concerns that were raised in the previous post by The Great Chi). I never used my Youtube account much anyway, or my g-mail for that matter, so I saw no reason to keep those accounts.

I had originally signed up to Youtube with a hotmail account so when I tried to sign into Youtube recently it forced me to connect it to my g-mail account and then proceeded to "recommend" videos based on what I had been browsing outside of Youtube. That's when I deleted the Youtube and the g-mail.

I can still login with my hotmail account O.o I don't even have a google account xD But I can understand your concern, but I don't see what's the harm with recommendations and using intelligent ad services to keep track on your interests? Thats no invasion of privacy. It's only a program that keeps track of your recent activity and that's it. I doubt google is sending your information to the government unless strictly asked by the FBI.

Tony9595
31-01-12, 18:24
They're consolidating their services together, I don't see why I should panic about that. They won't have any more data about yourself that they would've had in the first place, except now it'll be recorded in a single pile instead of several separate chunks by service. It's... logical to me.

This is what I thought. They'd still get this information without these changes. :p

Jami393
31-01-12, 18:31
So does this mean because I use Gmail, Google will want me to use some of their other services.

tomee
31-01-12, 19:32
Just checked gmail, and it turns out I had an account , I never knew about. It has the same name as my YT account. I remember when it wanted my YT to connect to gmail, but I never made a gmail account. At least I don't remember.

I'm moving to Opera. I loved Firefox, but it randomly freezes when I'm browsing youtube. I'm not so keen on using Chrome anymore.

Larapink
31-01-12, 23:13
Well I have closed my google & youtube accounts. I'm glad I never got a google+ or a gmail account.

Alpharaider47
31-01-12, 23:14
I'm not really surprised, honestly.

KIKO
01-02-12, 15:37
OK what's the fuss all about? Google is just combing every service into one. You sign in you get a youtube channel, a google+ profile... you don't have to use them if you don't want to. Why is everybody suddenly closing all their accounts?

NRO.
01-02-12, 15:39
OK what's the fuss all about? Google is just combing every service into one. You sign in you get a youtube channel, a google+ profile... you don't have to use them if you don't want to. Why is everybody suddenly closing all their accounts?

This.

O.o

lcroft_lc
01-02-12, 16:27
So we can't use existing YouTube account anymore? :confused:

skylark1121
01-02-12, 16:49
I heard someone make a conspiracy theory quite some time ago about Google having 'privacy issues'. Guess they were right. :pi:
Good thing I don't use much by them anyway. :o

KIKO
01-02-12, 16:59
So we can't use existing YouTube account anymore? :confused:

Yes you can

lcroft_lc
01-02-12, 17:06
Yes you can

Ohh thanks God. :D :jmp: :yah:

trfanX34
01-02-12, 17:13
I am pretty confused right now. What's wrong with what Google is doing exactly?

klona
01-02-12, 17:17

I have no idea.
I keep asking people that.
I read about it anywhere, I still don't understand what's wrong.

KIKO
01-02-12, 17:17
^
Google is just combining every service into one. You sign in you get a youtube channel, a google+ profile... you don't have to use them if you don't want to.

Oh and plus, their privacy policy isn't a 100 pages long, it's about 2 pages long now.
Don't worry, they won't be stalking you or selling your user information.

Ward Dragon
01-02-12, 20:30

Google records everything and they've been sued in the past by Viacom to get access to those records. The more they record, the greater the chance of it being used against the users the next time Google gets sued.

Plus by combining all of these different services into one account, it makes security a lot weaker. For example if someone figures out how to get into your Youtube account, then they've got your e-mail, Google+, and everything else that uses the same account. It's more secure to have the accounts separate with different passwords.

NCFirebolt21
01-02-12, 20:38
My Youtube account is linked to my Yahoo email ID and my Google+ account is linked to a separate Google ID. Do I stand at the risk of having all my accounts combined, even though Google+Yahoo are rivals?

Ward Dragon
01-02-12, 20:46
My Youtube account is linked to my Yahoo email ID and my Google+ account is linked to a separate Google ID. Do I stand at the risk of having all my accounts combined, even though Google+Yahoo are rivals?

I had signed up to Youtube using a Hotmail account and what happened was that Google automatically created a Google ID for my Hotmail account complete with its own attached g-mail, a separate Youtube channel for some reason, and I think it might have even had its own Google+.

As long as you use a separate password for you Yahoo e-mail and you never used that password on Google then Google can't access your Yahoo e-mail. But you probably do have a G-mail now associated with that address XD

MangelinaJolie
02-02-12, 20:12
Lovely. Deleted my personal accounts but unfortunately, my college forces us to use Gmail for our school emails. An extremely recent and inconvenient change.

voltz
02-02-12, 20:48
So what if you don't have your personal info on your account? Would you still be in enough shock to delete everything?

I'm just a user name, that's about it. :P

KIKO
02-02-12, 21:30
If you don't understand what Google is doing then you should read this post and not post something about asking what's going on.

What Google IS doing:
1. Re-writting their Privacy Policy (previously 18322139823 pages long, now 2 pages long)
2. Combining services. It means-> If you sign into their services, you're going to have a youtube channel, a google+ profile, gmail, everything in the package just like in McDonald's -> burger, fries and coca cola)

What Google IS NOT doing
1. Selling your personal information (also you should know that internet is ghetto, not a private honeymoon suite)
2. Stalking you. Every time you enter a website, it registers your IP. Do you know how many people have internet? Yeah, millions of IP's. Why would you feel superior as to think Google will actually care to know who you are? You can still watch porn, they don't care. You can still download, they don't care.

Are we clear? Now, go back to what you were doing :ton:

patriots88888
02-02-12, 21:50
What Google IS NOT doing
1. Selling your personal information (also you should know that internet is ghetto, not a private honeymoon suite)

And you are certain of this because? They are telling you so? Would you honestly expect them to tell you anything different?

Perhaps peeps don't like the idea that Google has the ability to do the very things which they don't appreciate being done to them. If they are so harmless in their practices, then why should they become so irate when the tables are turned on them (which has been the case)?

KIKO
02-02-12, 22:02
And you are certain of this because? They are telling you so? Would you honestly expect them to tell you anything different?

Perhaps peeps don't like the idea that Google has the ability to do the very things which they don't appreciate being done to them. If they are so harmless in their practices, then why should they become so irate when the tables are turned on them (which has been the case)?

Well mate the world is full of liars, if you're going to be skeptical about every business, that's your problem.

patriots88888
02-02-12, 22:09
Well mate the world is full of liars, if you're going to be skeptical about every business, that's your problem.

The way I see it (as it relates to this one business), the potential for problems lies with those who are too trusting and uninformed.

Draco
02-02-12, 22:52
Google would lose the vast majority of its revenue if it sold your information.

patriots88888
02-02-12, 23:13
Google would lose the vast majority of its revenue if it sold your information.

Well, according to this site (http://translationmusings.com/2008/09/07/does-google-sell-its-users-personal-data/) that is something which has taken place. So either they aren't losing as much as you suspect or they are really stupid in their business practices.

Cochrane
02-02-12, 23:16
Google does not really need to sell our information. Who would they sell it to? Ad providers, most likely, to increase revenue per ad. But Google is a huge ad provider itself. The user data never has to leave Mountain View, but in the end the result can still be the same as if Google did sell the data.

Maybe Google has no such sinister intentions. Hopefully they don't. But Google is not a friend, it is a company with the express purpose of making money, and a little skepticism does not hurt when looking at that.

Eros5th
03-02-12, 01:25
I only use Gmail. I read the article but I don't get it.

In what way are they changing their privacy? I just read a bunch about being a platform and tracking you while you're signed in. I always sign off right after checking my email so doesn't that make me safe?

Or are they gonna secretly be reading your emails and sending that info around?

Draco
03-02-12, 01:37
Well, according to this site (http://translationmusings.com/2008/09/07/does-google-sell-its-users-personal-data/) that is something which has taken place. So either they aren't losing as much as you suspect or they are really stupid in their business practices.

I can't comment on that, since I have no valid way to know whether that happened or not. And no, no name websites are not valid sources.

Ward Dragon
03-02-12, 01:46
I can't comment on that, since I have no valid way to know whether that happened or not. And no, no name websites are not valid sources.

Google Analytics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_analytics) is advertising software that Google lets other websites use to track visitors to that website, including where the visitor came from to get to that site. It comprehensively collects information across all sites that use Google Analytics, along with any information gained by tracking people while they are signed into a Google account. That information is then used to help the websites tailor their advertising to their visitors.

voltz
03-02-12, 02:04
I usually see that when no-script is actively blocking it.

Ward Dragon
03-02-12, 02:05
I usually see that when no-script is actively blocking it.

Same here. That's how I knew to look it up in the first place :p Got suspicious when it kept showing up on so many sites.

patriots88888
03-02-12, 08:59

According to the German magazine Stern it does. Stern bought several data packets that contained several hundred address lists for 1.50 euros plus value-added tax. For another 12 cents they bought the userís telephone number. They called up the people on the lists (just as an advertiser who buys the information would) and told them everything they knew about them and where they had gotten the information. Needless to say people were pissed.

Whether it's a 'no name' website or not is irrelevant... the author of the website isn't making the claim. They are only providing information from the source which is... Stern magazine. xD

And I can't think of any valid reason why the magazine (nor the author of the website) would make something like that up... I can't see what either would have to gain from that. It appears to me that this is 'scratch my back and I scratch yours', as I'm sure Google sells the personal info. that they do have and buys from others what they don't. It would seem the logical thing to do.

Cochrane
03-02-12, 09:16
Whether it's a 'no name' website or not is irrelevant... the author of the website isn't making the claim. They are only providing information from the source which is... Stern magazine. xD

And I can't think of any valid reason why the magazine (nor the author of the website) would make something like that up... I can't see what either would have to gain from that. It appears to me that this is 'scratch my back and I scratch yours', as I'm sure Google sells the personal info. that they do have and buys from others what they don't. It would seem the logical thing to do.
The original, german Stern article does not actually say that they bought the data from Google. They bought the data from an independent company (Schober) and have no idea where it came from. All mentions about Google appear later, when the article talks about how users are tracked in general. It does not argue that the data they bought came from Google, or that Google sells data at all - it just argues that a lot of people, including Google, are tracking us, and that we may not like the results.

patriots88888
03-02-12, 09:30
The original, german Stern article does not actually say that they bought the data from Google. They bought the data from an independent company (Schober) and have no idea where it came from. All mentions about Google appear later, when the article talks about how users are tracked in general. It does not argue that the data they bought came from Google, or that Google sells data at all - it just argues that a lot of people, including Google, are tracking us, and that we may not like the results.

Perhaps I misunderstoood then but it does go on to say this...

I don’t know about you, but it bothers me that information brokers like Schober and advertisers can buy my information from Google and Gmail.

So it appears to me that Google is selling that information, only indirectly through that independent company. Either way, it's still all the same in the end.

Cochrane
03-02-12, 09:40
Perhaps I misunderstoood then but it does go on to say this...

So it appears to me that Google is selling that information, only indirectly through that independent company. Either way, it's still all the same in the end.

Yes, that's what the blog post at http://translationmusings.com / says, but it's essentially lying (or at least misleading). The original article that they base their blog post on is http://www.stern.de/panorama/datenhandel-verraten-und-verkauft-636773.html (german only). It does say what is in the purple box on the blog, but not in the context of the data sale. Stern just used that specific example (we buy data) to open an article about privacy, user tracking and data sales in general. The Stern article does not say anywhere that Google is actually selling data to others in any way, only that Google is tracking a lot of data and using that to modify their own ad delivery.

Edit: On further reading, I think the blog just misunderstood the article. Still, they got it wrong.

There does not seem to be a good english translation of the original article, and automatic translation tools all suck, so you just have to trust me on that. :D

patriots88888
03-02-12, 09:49
Yes, that's what the blog post at http://translationmusings.com / says, but it's essentially lying (or at least misleading). The original article that they base their blog post on is http://www.stern.de/panorama/datenhandel-verraten-und-verkauft-636773.html (german only). It does say what is in the purple box on the blog, but not in the context of the data sale. Stern just used that specific example (we buy data) to open an article about privacy, user tracking and data sales in general. The Stern article does not say anywhere that Google is actually selling data to others in any way, only that Google is tracking a lot of data and using that to modify their own ad delivery.

There does not seem to be a good english translation of the original article, and automatic translation tools all suck, so you just have to trust me on that. :D

Ah, okay. So this blog is only trying to connect the dots so to speak... and I did misunderstand as I thought they were saying that Stern magazine had made that direct claim that they were buying their personal info. from Google. The title and the first line would seem to indicate that but I guess I've been bamboozled/duped here.

Cochrane
03-02-12, 10:00
Ah, okay. So this blog is only trying to connect the dots so to speak... and I did misunderstand as I thought they were saying that Stern magazine had made that direct claim that they were buying their personal info. from Google. The title and the first line would seem to indicate that but I guess I've been bamboozled/duped here.

I think it's the blog that misunderstood things; just from their text, it really does seem as if Google had sold the data to Schober.

Draco
03-02-12, 15:51
Google Analytics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_analytics) is advertising software that Google lets other websites use to track visitors to that website, including where the visitor came from to get to that site. It comprehensively collects information across all sites that use Google Analytics, along with any information gained by tracking people while they are signed into a Google account. That information is then used to help the websites tailor their advertising to their visitors.

Alright.

Reggie
03-02-12, 17:42
Google records everything and they've been sued in the past by Viacom to get access to those records. The more they record, the greater the chance of it being used against the users the next time Google gets sued.

Plus by combining all of these different services into one account, it makes security a lot weaker. For example if someone figures out how to get into your Youtube account, then they've got your e-mail, Google+, and everything else that uses the same account. It's more secure to have the accounts separate with different passwords.
This is sadly why I had to ditch everything including Youtube.

I had the same accounts for several years and with the new policy, they'd have records on me that would be so detailed about what I look at and do it just wouldn't be right. That's not to say I or indeed, anyone else who wants to reserve some privacy has anything to hide, its the principle of it.

Its just a shame Youtube requires a Google account now. I remember the days on there long before it was taken over.

Chug a Bug
19-02-12, 18:10
I have a gmail account but I only use it to login to youtube since they made it almost impossible to use my old one, but other than it it's dormant. Theres nothing personally identifiable about me, not even my real name...

I do use Chrome browser but I have extentions to erase cookies when I exit and block Google Analytics...

SpArKy
04-03-12, 16:18
What do you guys think about this?
Just opt out, I do hate it though when we are automatically 'opted in' and I do worry for when I get older and my brain can't make these decisions. I'm glad we have the Mental Capacity Act in the UK.

I use Google Search only and my Gmail for random things really that have no meaning to my life lol.

disapearing-boy
09-03-12, 16:39

They want to make more money from advertising. If you watch a video of a certain movie/singer or google someting, they'll talior the advertisements you see based on your interests. This way they'll make more money. Advertisers pay google for every click on their adds.;)

I don't like it but It's not the end of the world.