PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever hold your opinions back on TRF?

Phlip
02-02-12, 16:48
Like ever, for fear of coming across badly or getting into an argument? :o

TRULuverzz
02-02-12, 16:49
Nope, I'm a pretty straight forward person :)

xXhayleyroxXx
No, never :p

Poke Warrior
Ermm yes... or well, I try to anyway.....

benjamin_2010
02-02-12, 16:50
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m256/phms2010/GIFS/6.gif

TRLegendLuver
02-02-12, 16:51
I do sometimes. Otherwise it's like a gaining up brigade against the common opinion/idea. Pretty ridiculous, actually.

Mad Tony
02-02-12, 16:52
Yes.

Legend of Lara
02-02-12, 16:53
Nope! Fortunately (?), my opinions rarely matter and don't get any more controversial than "I do not like Oblivion".

:/

Larapink
02-02-12, 16:54
Sometimes I am like..

http://i40.************/33u79mg.gif

http://i40.************/29vnqma.gif

Then afterwards I am like..

Just got to put the eagle hood up and carry on walking!

http://i44.************/2rw8134.gif
^#SWAG

---

In other words, I try to avoid arguments on TRF. Life is too short, to focus on what someone had said against you.

Rai
02-02-12, 16:55
No, I don't hold my opinions back, but I try to be careful how I express myself.

klona
02-02-12, 16:57
No, I don't hold my opinions back, but I try to be careful how I express myself.

This. :)

patriots88888
02-02-12, 16:57
Sometimes I'll just say what the hey. Some things are simply too trivial to bother with.

ajrich17901
02-02-12, 17:00
I'm blunt, if people don't like what I write just ignore it. Not gonna hold back my opinion for anyone.

robbie_rawr
02-02-12, 17:09
dizzydoil will shout at me if I argue. :p

jarekhanzelka
02-02-12, 17:12
Every day. If I actually always wrote exactly what's on my mind, or confronted each member I desire to confront, I would've been banned a long time ago.

Phlip
02-02-12, 17:13
Every day. If I actually always wrote exactly what's on my mind, or confronted each member I desire to confront, I would've been banned a long time ago.

You can still do that, just don't like, insult them. :o

sierra xb
02-02-12, 17:14
I guess it depends on the subject. For some things I'll say exactly what i think, but for others, not so much.

Lately I've been feeling like doing this...

http://i.imgur.com/xoJnB.gif

Alpharaider47
02-02-12, 17:18
Nope. I used to, but nowadays I don't give a flying **** about rocking the boat or not :) What's the worst that could happen?

robm_2007
02-02-12, 17:19
No.
I hate Lady Gaga gifs. There, I didn't hold anything back.
Yes.

:vlol:

:pi:
---
I think it depends on the conversation and person. I try not to get into a heated argument, unless I know that I will win :pi: I mean, I sometimes type a post, only to not submit it. I know my limits (most of the time), and often will just not bother with something that it said and let it be. But, I do say what's on my mind, but I never really exclude any opinion if I really think it's necessary that I share it.

EmeraldFields
02-02-12, 17:22
Yes, but mostly because I can't be bothered to argue with someone.

I found that discussion (and fights! :D) are more interesting when you don't feel attached to either side and can just watch people go back and forth.

jarekhanzelka
02-02-12, 17:29
You can still do that, just don't like, insult them. :o

I'd be holding my opinion back if I didn't insult them.

Mad Tony
02-02-12, 17:30
:vlol:Did I say something funny? :confused:

robm_2007
02-02-12, 17:34
Did I say something funny? :confused:

I was laughing cuz you are very open with your opinions and I thought you were being facetious about holding them back :pi:

Phlip
02-02-12, 17:35
Did I say something funny? :confused:

It was funny for me because of the way you so bluntly said yes. 'cause in MGC you bitch about normal GC. XD

Mad Tony
02-02-12, 17:45
I was laughing cuz you are very open with your opinions and I thought you were being facetious about holding them back :pi:Trust me, I'm not.

It was funny for me because of the way you so bluntly said yes. 'cause in MGC you bitch about normal GC. XDEven in MGC I'm not that open with my opinions.

Phlip
02-02-12, 17:46
Trust me, I'm not.

Even in MGC I'm not that open with my opinions.

What's stopping you?

Mad Tony
02-02-12, 17:47
What's stopping you?Because I don't want to take Spong's title of TRF's most miserable member away from him.

Serious answer: It wouldn't really add much to the discussion.

tomee
02-02-12, 17:49
sometimes yes.

For example now I would, since there's already a new topic.
But I wanted to rebel just for once. :vlol:

dizzydoil
02-02-12, 17:53
All the time...

Catracoth
02-02-12, 18:09
Holding your opinions back will get you nowhere. You just sometimes need to learn how to voice them and know to whom you're voicing them. You might just be wasting your time if the other person is either a troll or known to not take opinions well.

Kelly Craftman
02-02-12, 18:11
I do hold my opinions back because I don't want to create drama. Drama is the last thing TRF needs.

Legend of Lara
02-02-12, 18:41
Because I don't want to take Spong's title of TRF's most miserable member away from him.

Don't talk smack about my Spongy Dongy, you idiotic failure of a human being! :mad:

/notserious

Zelda master
02-02-12, 18:43
Nope if I know that my opinion will start a flame war (Resident Evil topic about Revelations being exclusive), then that doesn't hold me back from starting one http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc405/ePape88/gniffel.gif

Greenapple968
02-02-12, 19:08
I do hold my opinions back. I only show my true colours when somebody winds me up for long enough.
To be honest I don't really care what society makes of me; other's opinions don't cross my mind and I know when I'm right and wrong.

Mikky
02-02-12, 19:10
Only about the people. :p

tomekkobialka
02-02-12, 19:10
I do hold my opinions back. I only show my true colours when somebody winds me up for long enough.

You mean...green? :whi: Or do you turn red when you get angry?

I used to be quite reserved and tried to see everything in a good light when I first came on this forum, but now I tend to be pretty straight-forward. :)

Kelly Craftman
02-02-12, 19:12
I just think when you say an opinion and someone is offended. People forget what an opinion is sometimes.

Matie
02-02-12, 19:24

This applies to what I do as well.:p

StefanJ94
02-02-12, 19:25
Only if I'm too lazy to post it. I don't give a **** if I cause drama or if I offend someone with it. :)

larafan25
02-02-12, 19:26
I don't really hold back my opinions...because I don't think my opinions are...bad...

I don't try to hurt people though.

Killercowz
02-02-12, 19:27
I do hold my opinions back because I don't want to create drama. Drama is the last thing TRF needs.

That.

Quasimodo
02-02-12, 19:41
I'll put forth an opinion right now that may cause some drama.

Something I've been seeing that I don't think is conducive to a thriving discussion forum is this victim complex people sometimes develop. Maybe their opinion isn't popular and they can't handle criticism, or they don't have the energy to defend it - whatever. If it's cramping your style so bad to "hold back your opinion", why whine about it?

The problem with this attitude, IMO, is it is like such members are indirectly asking the rest of us to change to suit their tastes. They're like that friend or SO who is clearly butthurt because of something you said or did, but they won't tell you what it was. It's maddening and it's unproductive.

larafan25
02-02-12, 19:48

Something I've been seeing that I don't think is conducive to a thriving discussion forum is this victim complex people sometimes develop. Maybe their opinion isn't popular and they can't handle criticism, or they don't have the energy to defend it - whatever. If it's cramping your style so bad to "hold back your opinion", why whine about it?

The problem with this attitude, IMO, is it is like such members are indirectly asking the rest of us to change to suit their tastes. They're like that friend or SO who is clearly butthurt because of something you said or did, but they won't tell you what it was. It's maddening and it's unproductive.

Holy **** yes!

Then there are people who complain about the quality of a section, or don't post in it because they say they'll just be ignored.

I was talking to a friend the other day who had just gotten accepted into college, and she was telling me how bad her mark was and that they may reject her because of it, and everything she said was negative, and I would sort of leverage that with something positive, but she'd just deny the possibility flat out, to the point where the conversation was just stalling.

I feel like people need to post their opinion and post in order to be heard and in order to change stuff they don't like.

Of course if you think it may upset a person on a personal level, if it's something specifically about them, then perhaps don't say it? Or just don't discuss it publicly? IDK.

TheRCroft
02-02-12, 19:57

This.

Larapink
02-02-12, 20:00

Everything you said here is so true. :tmb:

Especially such members telling me to change to suit their tastes - this happened to be a few times. I'm not changing. I am who I am, I can #fangirl as much a I like about a game I'm not afraid to admit it.

Quasimodo
02-02-12, 20:09

Drama is conflict. Conflict drives stories...so why not discussions?

I think TRF could use more drama, in a way. Lately it looks as though many are avoiding real discussions and would rather post in threads where you don't really need to interact with others, like "Your Mood/Purchase/Gear Grinders."

Conflict in a discussion doesn't necessarily have to mean drama - you can be passionate about your opinion on an issue without things becoming personal. Sometimes, however, the issue in a discussion can be personal. I think it's still possible to discuss even that without a huge meltdown.

Greenapple968
02-02-12, 20:09
You mean...green? :whi: Or do you turn red when you get angry?

I used to be quite reserved and tried to see everything in a good light when I first came on this forum, but now I tend to be pretty straight-forward. :)

Best apple pun I've heard so far! :D

larafan25
02-02-12, 20:10

I think TRF could use more drama, in a way. Lately it looks as though many are avoiding real discussions and would rather post in threads where you don't really need to interact with others, like "Your Mood/Purchase/Gear Grinders."

Conflict in a discussion doesn't necessarily have to mean drama - you can be passionate about your opinion on an issue without things becoming personal. Sometimes, however, the issue in a discussion can be personal. I think it's still possible to discuss even that without a huge meltdown.

I agree with that too. O.O

TRfan23
02-02-12, 20:14
Yes I do. I also have a habit of pretending to agree with certain people on here as well, just to not get on their bad side ;)

Killercowz
02-02-12, 20:16
Yes I do, I also have a habit of pretending to agree with people on here as well, just to not get on their bad side ;)

If you disagree with someone, say it.

Apathetic
02-02-12, 20:16
Yes I do, I also have a habit of pretending to agree with people on here as well, just to not get on their bad side ;)

You shouldn't do that.

Ikas90
02-02-12, 20:54
Nope. Even so, I will have no problem listening to other people's rebuttals. It's how you learn. I make my posts, knowing that my opinions can possess imperfections. The reason I debate is not so much so I can push my beliefs forward, but rather, so I can have the chance to grow and learn from whatever argument is taking place.

TRLegendLuver
02-02-12, 20:56

You really shouldn't do that. It will make you look as a liar (which is lying, pretending to think something when you say something) and a hypocrite if you're "opinion" changes suddenly. It's not wise.

Draco
02-02-12, 21:48
I hold back, yes. But because I tend to get banned if I don't, not for any other reason.

Kelly Craftman
02-02-12, 22:01

I haven't seen one of those conflicts in a while. I just think TRF needs to cool down for a bit and then maybe the arguing can begin again.

Gracious Days
02-02-12, 22:20
Quite often. I'm not a confrontational person, and a lot of people seem to get very hostile or sarcastic and that is pretty much an immediate turn off to not want to continue discussing anything.

In many other things I simply feel my opinion's too ignorant to say anything worthwhile. This mostly applies to something like the debate section.

tomblover
02-02-12, 22:36
It wouldn't seem so, but sometimes. :p

Greenapple968
02-02-12, 22:50
Quite often. I'm not a confrontational person, and a lot of people seem to get very hostile or sarcastic and that is pretty much an immediate turn off to not want to continue discussing anything.

In many other things I simply feel my opinion's too ignorant to say anything worthwhile. This mostly applies to something like the debate section.

Your opinion is valid as long as you speak it. An opinion doesn't overrule an opinion, though factual information might. I hate confrontation too, sadly I get dragged into arguments too often.

b.gluch
02-02-12, 22:52
sometimes the right words just dont come to mind so i give up halfway thru my sentence :/ i wish i was smarter xD

TRexbait
02-02-12, 22:53
I try to not come off as offensive. That's as far as I go.

Draco
02-02-12, 23:00
Your opinion is valid as long as you speak it. An opinion doesn't overrule an opinion, though factual information might. I hate confrontation too, sadly I get dragged into arguments too often.

Well, you do it to yourself really. It always takes two to tango.

Cochrane
02-02-12, 23:07
I hold back all the time. If I posted every snide remark that comes to my mind when reading thread titles, I'd probably be the most hated member of this forum. :D

In general, I don't hold back with my opinion, but I do try to hold back with the way I say it. If I call someone an idiot, then I only look back and the other person will get angry. If I instead try to find out why they believe what they do, then I can learn more about them and get a better understanding of the world - or, if all else fails, make better insults in the future.

It takes the most effort to hold back with comments about how something pointless is pointless. Obviously, such a comment is always pointless in itself, but it can sometimes take real work.

Quasimodo
02-02-12, 23:09
I didn't know Cochrane had a sassy side! :D

moodydog
02-02-12, 23:42
Only when I am not confident in those opinions. When I am fully aware that someone can and will hammer me down in an argument, I tend to hold back. I also don't try and start an argument, though if I am in one, I will try and hold my own.

Eddie Haskell
02-02-12, 23:59
If I decide to post in a thread where personal opinion is required I speak my mind, all the time attempting to do so in a manner that is most innocuous and respectful. However I make it a point to avoid posting in such threads that either I don't know or care about, and for an old man like me in a forum full of kids it's a significant number of them.

And I found out a long time ago in here that I was often misunderstood, so I found it was best to just stay out of most discussions, particularly when they involved members that were many years my junior. I disdain and avoid arguments, but I relish respectful discussion. And thankfully there is more than enough of that.

Sir Croft
03-02-12, 00:02
Sometimes I do, for different reasons.

Chocola teapot
03-02-12, 00:03
Yes.

As much as I would love to call people out publicly, I'd probably get banned.

Encore
03-02-12, 00:24
Yes. A lot.

Gracious Days
03-02-12, 00:37
An opinion doesn't overrule an opinion, though factual information might.

That was basically my point. People base their opinions on what they know about a given subject, but when you know very little I think it's a little foolish to throw your hat into the ring.

Keeping quiet like I often do doesn't mean I think lesser of myself, it's just about having tact and a good knowledge of what I'm talking about.

Romantics Inc.
03-02-12, 00:46
Nope, never.

Do I ever voice them? Sometimes.

voltz
03-02-12, 00:48
The sec I say something negative, people tend to get all pivy and derail the thread over it.

I just love the mayhem I cause. :)

larafan25
03-02-12, 00:49
The sec I say something negative, people tend to get all pivy and derail the thread over it.

I just love the mayhem I cause. :)

Same, i no frum experience.

Paddy
03-02-12, 00:51
The second you disagree with the majority they are all over you. That is funny more then anything.
Like me with TR 1 and me not being as big a fan of it as everyone else, I prefer TR 3. That ages ago stirred a hornets nest, I got a giggle out of it when all I did was state my opinion lol

larafan25
03-02-12, 00:53
The second you disagree with the majority they are all over you. That is funny more then anything.

The only reason "they are all over you" is because they are they and all. As in there's more of the majority than there are of you so it's more likely that you're going to get ten responses telling you otherwise.

Paddy
03-02-12, 00:56
The only reason "they are all over you" is because they are they and all. As in there's more of the majority than there are of you so it's more likely that you're going to get ten responses telling you otherwise.

So basically I could decide to troll them if I really desired to and it would get the results? Their very stuck up attitudes can be used against them easily lol
Weakness with being a majority who stick stubbornly to a mindset.

larafan25
03-02-12, 01:04
So basically I could decide to troll them if I really desired to and it would get the results? Their very stuck up attitudes can be used against them easily lol
Weakness with being a majority who stick stubbornly to a mindset.

That may be a weakness...but in the end when they're the majority, you're just going to end up looking like a troll for trolling. :pi:

Encore
03-02-12, 01:06

Yeah but I fail to see the point. What do they expect, that they can convince you to change your mind?

And let me say right now that the "benefits of a good discussion" cliche is bull****. We all know most arguments on the internet are not discussions. They're people expressing their views in turn, which is something very very different. Hardly anyone on the internet even gives a **** about the other person's opinion - they already made their mind on this issue and that issue, and they just enter a "debate" so they get a chance to WIN it.

That's why we have this attitude of repeatedly hammering one's POV over someone else. It's really just a way to try and express some sort of superiority, so that if they other person gives up, they end up feeling like they won something. As pathetic as this sounds, I honestly believe a LOT of people - on this forum and elsewhere - do it.

larafan25
03-02-12, 01:11
Yeah but I fail to see the point. What do they expect, that they can convince you to change your mind?

IDK.

I expect that I can convince people why multiplayer should be in TR, but more so I'm usually just defending against the arguments as to why it apparently can't. I think most of the time my own opinion can be a compromise, or I may be preaching a compromise solution to the difference of viewpoints.

But TBH lately people just haven't bothered replying to the posts with beef, where the points truly are.

And let me say right now that the "benefits of a good discussion" cliche is bull****. We all know most arguments on the internet are not discussions. They're people expressing their views in turn, which is something very very different. Hardly anyone on the internet even gives a **** about the other person's opinion - they already made their mind on this issue and that issue, and they just enter a "debate" so they get a chance to WIN it.

But it's fun.

That's why we have this attitude of repeatedly hammering one's POV over someone else. It's really just a way to try and express some sort of superiority, so that if they other person gives up, they end up feeling like they won something. As pathetic as this sounds, I honestly believe a LOT of people - on this forum and elsewhere - do it.[/QUOTE]

I think you should wait, wait for some crazy-ass heated debate (they're never that heated) in the TR section, then step in and ask where it's going and why.

That's probably the best time to answer such a question.

Spong
03-02-12, 01:21
That's why we have this attitude of repeatedly hammering one's POV over someone else. It's really just a way to try and express some sort of superiority, so that if the other person gives up, they end up feeling like they won something.

I bet leglion's ears are burning right now.

Paddy
03-02-12, 02:25

That's why we have this attitude of repeatedly hammering one's POV over someone else. It's really just a way to try and express some sort of superiority, so that if they other person gives up, they end up feeling like they won something. As pathetic as this sounds, I honestly believe a LOT of people - on this forum and elsewhere - do it.

As do I. Superiority over a simple opinion is everywhere.

TRL2009
03-02-12, 02:47
Never! you gotta tell em bitches how its done around here sumtimes! <3

domino92
03-02-12, 02:48
No I don't hold back, but that doesn't mean I'll always POST my opinion. If there's something I know will cause an argument or there's just idiotic people around who I know will be dicks and try to tear apart my post, then I figure what's the point and just don't post. But if I do then Ill try my best to be 100% honest.

TRfan23
03-02-12, 14:15
If you disagree with someone, say it.

You shouldn't do that.

You really shouldn't do that. It will make you look as a liar (which is lying, pretending to think something when you say something) and a hypocrite if you're "opinion" changes suddenly. It's not wise.

Only just saw these.

I've been doing it in the past 2 years (approx), and no one's battered an eyelid ;)

Either way I shouldn't have generalized, I should have made it more clear. I don't do it with everyone on here, I do it with certain members that I'm afraid to disagree with. Therefore my 'opinion' will never change ;)

But since I've admitted this, I may bring forward my true opinions. It's just so easy to pretend that you agree with someone, that way you're not going to end up possibly arguing with them and then possibly fight :)

Phlip
03-02-12, 14:27
Only just saw these.

I've been doing it in the past 2 years (approx), and no one's battered an eyelid ;)

Either way I shouldn't have generalized, I should have made it more clear. I don't do it with everyone on here, I do it with certain members that I'm afraid to disagree with. Therefore my 'opinion' will never change ;)

But since I've admitted this, I may bring forward my true opinions. It's just so easy to pretend that you agree with someone, that way you're not going to end up possibly arguing with them and then possibly fight :)

Anyone who starts an argument over you having a different opinion is a twat. Though debates and discussions can happen over them, which should be fine. :)

You should be true to yourself and stick by your opinions.

Jester Head
03-02-12, 14:36
Yes, because some people can't take an opinion well, because I'm not bothered enough to post it, and because I sometimes come off as aggressive/don't have many "popular" opinions.

Nemo_91
03-02-12, 15:59
Yes and no. :p

jackles
03-02-12, 16:05
Yes because I am aware of my 'role' in the open forums.....Plus I usually can't be arsed to argue. Once my mind is made up then bitching at me isn't going to change my mind. Reasoned debate might. :)

No when I am being 'me' ( you should be able to tell the difference) ;)

Weemanply109
03-02-12, 16:18
Like ever, for fear of coming across badly or getting into an argument? :o

A lot, sometimes I just want to express my opinion and I type a full paragraph, but I decide that it might cause too much trouble and I just erase it.

I'm always real at most times, unlike a few members here, I voice my opinions and don't just jump on bandwagons either. I like what I like cause I like it. Nothing else, If someone wants my opinion to, I try and be as honest as possible without sounding too offensive if it's a negative one.

the ancient
03-02-12, 16:20
Not really, not that my opinion is that usefull :p

But I don't really care if people who live on the other side of the planet don't like me or don't agree with everything I say, so yeah, if you got a problem just say it? xD

Killercowz
03-02-12, 19:45
Only just saw these.

Don't be afraid to express yourself, if someone wants to argue with you because of your opinion do this:

A) Don't respond to them
or
B) Defend yourself

Option A works wonders. :D

Snazabaz
03-02-12, 19:57
I hold back from saying quit a lot on here. Mainly because if you say anything negative towards the 'popular' (:rolleyes:), then you become new enemy number 1 for just being truthful

AmericanAssassin
03-02-12, 20:05
I used to be very blunt on here, but it got me involved in too much drama, so now I do hold back a little.

MiCkiZ88
03-02-12, 20:08
Most of the time yes, because there are few members who just will continue on arguing and ignoring the parts where I prove them wrong.

larson n natla
03-02-12, 20:11
Sometimes. Some members have a tendency to snap at you for saying what you think.

moodydog
03-02-12, 20:13
Your opinion is valid as long as you speak it. An opinion doesn't overrule an opinion, though factual information might.

The best saying ever;

'You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.'

herothing
03-02-12, 20:14
Yes. Text is easily misinterpreted compared to the word of mouth. And also I don't like to be nasty unless somebody is trolling, then it's ok :p

Sometimes. Some members have a tendency to snap at you for saying what you think.

People on here have a tendency to be very biased and not listen to any opinions. This seems to be happening more often, also.

Linoshi Croft
03-02-12, 21:21
Yes, some people on here are very overpowering...So, I'm sometimes put off inputting or saying much more because they tend to fire you down right away...and basically say their opinion is fact out of thin air :p

Kelly Craftman
03-02-12, 21:32
Im actually scared of some of the members here :p

CosmoCroft
03-02-12, 22:01
Since I can't do it a lot in real life. I don not hold back here.

TRLegendLuver
03-02-12, 22:13

Me too Kelly. Some of them are actually quite frightening, but I'm sure it's a common misconception and in person, they're quite the push-overs. :p

Weemanply109
04-02-12, 19:00
A few members are very argumentative and never back down.

Though, I guess that could be seen as a good thing from some people's perspectives.

Carbonek_0051
04-02-12, 21:10
Yes, yes I do.

:vlol:!!!!! Who the hell am I kidding? No, I really don't.

robm_2007
04-02-12, 21:18

Yes, yes I do.

:vlol:!!!!! Who the hell am I kidding? No, I really don't.

He's talking about you, Nate. You should confront him.
---
I think that I might hold back my opinion of a member, but not an issue of something. I would not go around telling people that they are a dumb little chonch unless absolutely necessary, but I would give my opinion on controversial topics like, abortion, the death penalty, or whatever.

Greenapple968
04-02-12, 21:19

Though, I guess that could be seen as a good thing from some people's perspectives.

It can. From my perspective it's a good thing.

Carbonek_0051
04-02-12, 21:24
He's talking about you, Nate. You should confront him.
Nah, people just mad brah.

Quasimodo
04-02-12, 22:22
I think that I might hold back my opinion of a member, but ...I would not go around telling people that they are a dumb little chonch unless absolutely necessary

There's a good one. Where do you draw the line? Is it ethical to let stupid people run around totally oblivious that they're stupid?

I think usually what happens is people try to ignore it for a while, then eventually erupt on teh stupid/annoying one.

Carbonek_0051
04-02-12, 22:23
You all are too soft.

Lenochka
04-02-12, 22:27
Yeah, all the time tbh. I find myself typing out really long replies to people and then deciding to just never post it. Sometimes I think just venting on something by typing it out is all that needs to be done instead of dragging things out and starting trouble.

sierra xb
04-02-12, 22:32

I have seen that more than a few times

same here...

TombRaiderFan.
04-02-12, 22:36
Going through this thread. I feel like post people that said yes happen to be the biggest trolls. Ironic much? :p

I only hold back if I don't give a ****. If I do care to debate then I will do so. Sometimes I'll hold back when the person I disagree with is someone I happen to be friends with.

patriots88888
04-02-12, 22:43
Sometimes I'll hold back when the person I disagree with is someone I happen to be friends with.

And why is that? Are you afraid by doing so it might place unnecessary strain on the friendship?

TombRaiderFan.
04-02-12, 22:49
And why is that? Are you afraid by doing so it might place unnecessary strain on the friendship?

It depends on how well I know a friend. Sometimes you lack the confidence to say things because that trust ins't there just yet. I don't know...it's complex, sometimes I'll even avoid saying things to friends because I know it's a topic they really hate to talk about.

Let's put it this way: If I think the topic for argument is trivial stuff then I won't bring it up. If the topic has to do with advice for them because I know they're doing something wrong then I'll most likely say something.

Why you ask me this, it forces me to think deeply!! :mad: lol

patriots88888
04-02-12, 22:54
It depends on how well I know a friend. Sometimes you lack the confidence to say things because that trust ins't there just yet. I don't know...it's complex, sometimes I'll even avoid saying things to friends because I know it's a topic they really hate to talk about.

Let's put it this way: If I think the topic for argument is trivial stuff then I won't bring it up. If the topic has to do with advice for them because I know they're doing something wrong then I'll most likely say something.

Why you ask me this, it forces me to think deeply!! :mad: lol

Very good... and it's my job (well, sort of anyways). :p

jonathanrij
04-02-12, 23:01
Yes, quite often. I just don't like the confrontation. But sometimes I'm able to put that aside and speak my mind.

I've been doing that more recently.

Encore
04-02-12, 23:16
There's a good one. Where do you draw the line? Is it ethical to let stupid people run around totally oblivious that they're stupid?

They won't know it just because you tell them... Most of the time, your attempts to bring out the illogical side of their reasoning are either completely ignored (as if you've never written it), or seen as if you're pushing your "beliefs" and disrespecting theirs.

The prime example of this situation is the creationists. There isn't a single shred of evidence to support it. But if you point out this fact you're being intolerant. :/

A person can only be educated if they themselves admit that they have something to learn.

MattTR
05-02-12, 02:18
Yes, because I know some people won't always like what I have to say.. but that goes for not only TRF, but everywhere. You just need to know when the right time is. :D

sierra xb
05-02-12, 06:19
in the spirit of expressing opinions....

They won't know it just because you tell them... Most of the time, your attempts to bring out the illogical side of their reasoning are either completely ignored (as if you've never written it), or seen as if you're pushing your "beliefs" and disrespecting theirs.

The prime example of this situation is the creationists. There isn't a single shred of evidence to support it. But if you point out this fact you're being intolerant. :/

A person can only be educated if they themselves admit that they have something to learn.

enough already with picking on creationists, ok? The other side is JUST as guilty of doing the same thing as you are accusing others of doing.

You don't seem to understand that your kind of attitude contributes to the problem of people not wanting to share their opinons. Using your example, creationists are a bit of a minority...especially in this forum, so because their opinons are vastly different than the mainstream, the majority gangs up on them and tries to make it look like their opinons are stupid and uneducated, instead of just different.

Very few people are going to be willing to share their opinons when the audience is obviously hostile, and unwilling to even consider the possability that the other person's opinion might be valid. I don't think anyone wants to participate in a forum where the general attitude is "you are allowed to have your opinion, as long as it conforms to what the majority of everyone else thinks". Maybe that's not quite how it is, but it is certainly an impression I have felt on here.

SoupCard
05-02-12, 06:54
Oh for sure. This site is much more strict and...friendly then others I go on.

scoopy_loopy
05-02-12, 07:21
8 times out of 10. xD

Greenapple968
05-02-12, 11:10
This may sound a bit sudden. But why should anyone hold their opinions back? It doesn't matter what others think, it doesn't matter what society says, all that matters is what YOU think. We're all entitled to an opinion and we should broadcast it, the opinions of others doesn't overrule your opinion. If I believe something to be true, I make everyone aware of it, I don't care what anybody thinks. I might say something and everybody else might disagree and tbh I couldn't care less, as far as I'm concerned everybody else is wrong. Society is in no position to tell me what's right or what's wrong, I choose for myself based on how I percieve and interpret the World.

Draco
05-02-12, 15:11
This may sound a bit sudden. But why should anyone hold their opinions back? It doesn't matter what others think, it doesn't matter what society says, all that matters is what YOU think. We're all entitled to an opinion and we should broadcast it, the opinions of others doesn't overrule your opinion. If I believe something to be true, I make everyone aware of it, I don't care what anybody thinks. I might say something and everybody else might disagree and tbh I couldn't care less, as far as I'm concerned everybody else is wrong. Society is in no position to tell me what's right or what's wrong, I choose for myself based on how I percieve and interpret the World.

If the entire world thought this way, there would be no society and we would all be living in caves fighting about who gets the biggest one with all the females in it. Extreme intolerance is what you are claiming to have... is that really you?

leglion
05-02-12, 16:02
I try to do so at times. Mainly because I'm not the type of person to let someone tell me any and everything so the thread might turn into a chaotic mess just because of one snide remark from someone that doesn't agree with my opinion.

Dream_Raider
05-02-12, 16:29
Yep lotsa times. Hence the low post count.

Mostly cuz I can never flesh out my opinions to defend in an argument satisfactorily enough online :/

Encore
05-02-12, 17:15
Society is in no position to tell me what's right or what's wrong

Being a part of society grants you the ability to have a decent, secure life, and you can't simply get all the benefits from it, then claim it has no hold over you.

robm_2007
05-02-12, 17:17

I think usually what happens is people try to ignore it for a while, then eventually erupt on teh stupid/annoying one.

I think it depends on the person. If it's someone who is a repeat offender, one who you have talked to before regarding their behavior, then I just let the crowd have them, when they start their act again. As for people who are having an off day once in a while, then I might not say anything, unless they are being rude or spammy all over the place.

In all, I think that there are only a few members on TRF who I actually do not like. There are many people who I have not liked on a certain day, but got over it and probably am on civil terms with them. The thing that I really hate, is when X Member will be acting a fool, and their friends will blindly defend them, and act very biased --- that's when it gets out of hand and erupts into a clash of the members.

I try not to be like that. If someone is being overly stupid, no matter who it is, will I at least want to say something to them about the way they are acting. I mean, even if your friend is having a row with another member, thinking that your friend is the one at fault should not make them think that you all of a sudden hate them.

But, no one is perfect...

Anja
05-02-12, 17:25
I am new and I sometimes do hold back opinions but not very often.I wouldn't wanna fight with people and try to avoid it except if they really get to my nerve (luckily for me that hasn't happen here in TRF cuz people are usually nice )

Encore
05-02-12, 17:30
Oh wow, just as I was finishing my latest post I just noticed a quote by Aristotle on my 2012 calendar right next to the monitor.

Translated to english, it goes more or less like this:

A wise man never says everything he thinks, but he thinks before everything he says.

leglion
05-02-12, 17:44
i think it depends on the person. If it's someone who is a repeat offender, one who you have talked to before regarding their behavior, then i just let the crowd have them, when they start their act again. As for people who are having an off day once in a while, then i might not say anything, unless they are being rude or spammy all over the place.

In all, i think that there are only a few members on trf who i actually do not like. There are many people who i have not liked on a certain day, but got over it and probably am on civil terms with them. The thing that i really hate, is when x member will be acting a fool, and their friends will blindly defend them, and act very biased --- that's when it gets out of hand and erupts into a clash of the members.

i try not to be like that. If someone is being overly stupid, no matter who it is, will i at least want to say something to them about the way they are acting. I mean, even if your friend is having a row with another member, thinking that your friend is the one at fault should not make them think that you all of a sudden hate them.

but, no one is perfect...

omg this!

Jester Head
06-02-12, 08:25

It has nothing to do with opinions/beliefs being right or wrong. It has to do how people react to them. Some people just can't stand your opinon/belief, massive amounts of bottomhurt everywhere, and unnecessary drama, that, most of the time, leads to ad hominem and insults. Discussion like this leads nowhere.

Oh wow, just as I was finishing my latest post I just noticed a quote by Aristotle on my 2012 calendar right next to the monitor.

A wise man never says everything he thinks, but he thinks before everything he says.
Basically, this.

Sir Croft
06-02-12, 14:20

Nice! :tmb:

Carbonek_0051
06-02-12, 14:20

Aristotle should mind his own business! :mad:

Eddie Haskell
06-02-12, 14:33

Yes, but you're not going to get your post count up there in Mad Tony territory if you follow this sage advice.