PDA

View Full Version : Can you go a day without your smartphone/technology?

Ward Dragon
03-02-12, 00:37
Poll requested by sandygrimm :)

Mad Tony
03-02-12, 00:39
Depends what is meant by "technology". Smartphone though? Most definitely, because I don't even have one.

patriots88888
03-02-12, 00:39
Well, it's obvious what I voted.

ozzman
03-02-12, 00:40
yeah, i can go a while without internet/pc, but i prefer either tv or music alot of the time even just a movie player, i like camping over weekends

TRULuverzz
03-02-12, 00:40
I've survived without my laptop for a few days, and having broke my blackberry I managed to live without it but I really want an iPhone 4S. So yeh, I can only survive a short while without technology, let alone internet connection :D

Larapink
03-02-12, 00:41
No I couldn't live without technology even just for a day.

Legend of Lara
03-02-12, 00:42
Maybe I should have picked "a few days" instead of "yes". :/

Anyway, I don't have a smartphone, and I've gone long amounts of time without comparable technology. (computers, phones, games, etc.)

patriots88888
03-02-12, 00:43
No I couldn't live without technology even just for a day.

But what will you do when the apocolypse arrives? Sorry, needed to get that 2012 reference in there. xD

larafan25
03-02-12, 00:43
Yes, I don't even use a cellphone or any device that goes with me.

I just come home to my laptop where all the magic happens. :)

Spong
03-02-12, 00:44
I can quite happily go without it all. I like secluding myself from tech now & again, it's good for the soul :tmb:

Larapink
03-02-12, 00:45
But what will you do when the apocolypse arrives? Sorry, needed to get that 2012 reference in there. xD
It's fine with the 2012 reference. When the apocolypse arrives, I would die then and there. xD

ThatNorskChick
03-02-12, 00:45
Yes. Sometimes I feel better without it.

I ain't got no smartphone, son.

Chocola teapot
03-02-12, 00:46
I think that I could manage quite a while without my laptop, Two Weeks maximum.

I hate my mobile though, I would gladly turn it off forever.

Legend of Lara
03-02-12, 00:46
I ain't got no smartphone, son.

High-five...? D':

ThatNorskChick
03-02-12, 00:48
high-five...? D':

...REJECTED!

Bam!

patriots88888
03-02-12, 00:48
It's fine with the 2012 reference. When the apocolypse arrives, I would die then and there. xD

Aww, that ain't no fun. And I misspelled apocalypse. LOL!

xXhayleyroxXx
03-02-12, 00:49
Damn, I voted for the wrong thing :pi: I was supposed to vote 'Yes'. Realistically, I'd say a few weeks for technology (I don't have a smartphone and don't need one). Only because I'd miss my friends on here/have lots of coursework to do. I'm a bit addicted to the internet and my ps3 ._.

Quasimodo
03-02-12, 00:49
The third option at the moment. I have to check my university email often to keep up to snuff with the teaching program. Before this semester, I could've gone a day or more, easy. *feels like a chain smoker* :p

Paddy
03-02-12, 00:51
Phone yes, anything for music no.

Ward Dragon
03-02-12, 00:52
The third option at the moment. I have to check my university email often to keep up to snuff with the teaching program. Before this semester, I could've gone a day or more, easy. *feels like a chain smoker* :p

Same here :p I don't even have a smart phone. However I do need to check my e-mail several times a day due to my job.

Larapink
03-02-12, 00:56
Aww, that ain't no fun. And I misspelled apocalypse. LOL!
Sadly, my life wouldn't be much use to me without technology. Working in the 3D/Games & Film industries as an artist without a computer or any of the relevant technology there wouldn't be any point in finishing my degree without technology. So yeah I might as well die when if the 2012/apocalypse is upon us. :/ lol
Also I don't function too well without games. :(

My spelling isn't great all the time I blame my Dyslexia sometimes for that. :/

King.Louie
03-02-12, 00:57
My Iphone is crap so a few days or weeks wouldn't bother me.... Well maybe a week :pi:

patriots88888
03-02-12, 01:03
Sadly, my life wouldn't be much use to me without technology. Working in the 3D/Games & Film industries as an artist without a computer or any of the relevant technology there wouldn't be any point in finishing my degree without technology. So yeah I might as well die when if the 2012/apocalypse is upon us. :/ lol
Also I don't function too well without games. :(

I can understand that. But don't you ever wish you could just ditch it all for a few days (if not longer) and just take in nature and enjoy the world as it was before all these gadgets that we have now?

My spelling isn't great all the time I blame my Dyslexia sometimes for that. :/

Don't feel bad, I'm not any better... I blame TRF's lack of a spell checker. :mad:

Alpharaider47
03-02-12, 01:03
I can make basic stone/bone/wood tools and have studied enough to subsist as a (rather clumsy and crappy) hunter/gatherer. So yeah, I can survive without "modern" technology.

Archaeology major is good for something :cool:

Greenapple968
03-02-12, 01:06
Yes.

CiaKonwerski
03-02-12, 01:07
Honestly...technology is getting on my nerves at the moment. I hate how almost everything is done through the internet. I just want to throw it all haha. So yes, I could definitely live without my technology, at least my smartphone and computer.

Nausinous
03-02-12, 01:08
I have an addiction to the internet, so no.

Larapink
03-02-12, 01:10
I can understand that. But don't you ever wish you could just ditch it all for a few days (if not longer) and just take in nature and enjoy the world as it was before all these gadgets that we have now?
I'll admit sometimes I feel like I want to ditch technology for a few days and go travelling around the world since I like adventure and travelling. That would be my way to enjoy the world just to travel. :)

Don't feel bad, I'm not any better... I blame TRF's lack of a spell checker. :mad:
I blame that too, but if you use chrome there is a spell checker included. :D
That's what I use. :)

sheepman23
03-02-12, 01:10
I don't exactly have great internet service since I live in a rural area, which means that sometimes the internet doesn't work. At first I'm a little lost as to what to do (and even worse when we sometimes have power outages in harsh winters, although this winter has been extremely mild so that hasn't happened once yet :p), but I think it's good for us to be free of technology every now and then. I wouldn't want it forever, but it makes us realize just how much stuff we take for granted these days.

I don't actually a phone myself... so that part doesn't really apply to me, but the technology side sure does. ;)

Zelda master
03-02-12, 01:12
Easily... Went to Egypt often enough and we barely had internet there, and using your mobile would cost a fortune, so I would leave that at home... Managed to do up three weeks without before I had to dive into the Internet Cafe... E3 was that week, and I would see the Nintendo pressconference live darned! :p

Cochrane
03-02-12, 01:21
If I have enough books, I probably can, but I really don't want to. Having a smartphone has changed my life in tiny ways, and I've gotten used to having all information I want (even if it is just TRF or Twitter) available whenever I feel like it. That isn't an essential part of my life, but I miss it when I don't have it.

MiCkiZ88
03-02-12, 01:26
If I go on a vacation or to our cottage, sure, I can. few days of relaxing without reading what's going on in the world does wonders.

jajay119
03-02-12, 01:30
I could easily survive without my mobile, which is a blackberry, the only time I have used it at all today in fact was this morning for the alarm function. I haven't called, texted or IMd anyone. To be honest, with the increase of Wifi in public spaces and 3G powered deviced like Ipads I'm more contactable, and often more more quickly so, via facebook than using my mobile.

Encore
03-02-12, 01:31
The fact that the question is formulated with "smartphone/technology" prevents me from replying.

I can spend a long time without my cellphone (which isn't a smartphone btw), but less without my PC, and I can't live without my mp3 player.

musicmaestro10
03-02-12, 01:36
Yes, but not without PSP!

Paddy
03-02-12, 01:47
The fact that the question is formulated with "smartphone/technology" prevents me from replying.

I can spend a long time without my cellphone (which isn't a smartphone btw), but less without my PC, and I can't live without my mp3 player.

Not just me then. Music is something I can't do without, and technology is needed to play it. lol

Encore
03-02-12, 01:51
Not just me then. Music is something I can't do without, and technology is needed to play it. lol

Haha yeah. If I had an orchestra follow me everywhere, then I wouldn't need technology.

Seriously....
That would be awesome....
They'd play the Skyrim theme everytime I got home from work. :cool:

Paddy
03-02-12, 01:54
Haha yeah. If I had an orchestra follow me everywhere, then I wouldn't need technology.

Seriously....
That would be awesome....
They'd play the Skyrim theme everytime I got home from work. :cool:

Or just have Stewie follow someone around with a tuba for amusement. :D
http://cdn4.droidmill.com/media/market-media/com.jarikmudrow.stewiefatguytuba_0.png

Dark Lugia 2
03-02-12, 02:04
Hell no! I dropped my phone in a friends toilet the other week and I was mortified. Emails, texts, phone calls, the internet! I'm so lucky its still working. (posting this on it now)

Ikas90
03-02-12, 02:21
I could probably go a few days. I wouldn't like it, but I'd be able to do it.

I know it would be beneficial. Sometimes, breaks are needed. We use too much technology, and in doing so, we've distanced ourselves from our own natural instincts, abilities and insight into who we truly are.

If someone from 200 years ago were transported into today's day and age, they would not be able to cope with the amount of technology that we have. We've evolved to become more multi-tasked to be able to handle it.

Spong
03-02-12, 02:32
Hell no! I dropped my phone in a friends toilet the other week and I was mortified. Emails, texts, phone calls, the internet! I'm so lucky its still working. (posting this on it now)

Ewwwww!
I hope you cleaned it before you started using it again :p

Dark Lugia 2
03-02-12, 02:35
Ewwwww!
I hope you cleaned it before you started using it again :p

Haha, luckily it was before the toilet actually got used :p

pekirock
03-02-12, 02:35
No, and I dont see why I would have to stop using it either :o

just*raidin*tomb
03-02-12, 02:42
I can quite happily go without it all. I like secluding myself from tech now & again, it's good for the soul :tmb:

That^

sierra xb
03-02-12, 03:26
i checked "a few days" because I didn't see an option for anything longer than that. I've had cell phones but i'm not tied to them, i have a computer and internet, but i can also live with out them for a while. Longest I went with out access to any kind of electronic technology (besides a GPS) was 41 days.

TRexbait
03-02-12, 03:29
Yeah, I can. (I've gone backpacking for several days and on trips where I can't use technology. I do just fine, really get to catch up on my reading :D).

Right now, the most I could go is for a few days. I didn't check email yesterday and what do you know, I got accepted to a college.

All in all, yeah, for a while.

Gracious Days
03-02-12, 03:36
I don't own a smartphone or a cellphone of any kind, so it's a 'Yes' for that. Going without the internet would be difficult but I went without it for about 8 months not too long ago. I just got used to it.

But having no type of technology at all would be painful after a few hours. :p

Uzi master
03-02-12, 03:37

I have no soul! :D

Larapink
03-02-12, 03:43
Or just have Stewie follow someone around with a tuba for amusement. :D
http://cdn4.droidmill.com/media/market-media/com.jarikmudrow.stewiefatguytuba_0.png
:vlol:!!

TR-Freak
03-02-12, 06:02
No.
I actually need music or else I go insane:D

Saman
03-02-12, 06:55
Yes for me actually I can live a day with out technology, nothing would be changed you know, but at over all no, I'll doing tasks in my computer, and probably cell phone or other technology devices.

Take note to now on modern life they are necessary to use and you probably use them little or much on your daily life, like computers, cell phones, and some personal electronic devices, so when you need them, use them, simple.

So I don't choose any option (;

KC Mraz
03-02-12, 06:59
Yes, I could, but I don't want to.

EscondeR
03-02-12, 07:13
Yes. As much time as the circumstances require/dictate.

scoopy_loopy
03-02-12, 07:52
I voted "a few days" ... because I can go ages without charging my iPhone. xD But if "technology" included internet/my pc, then the answer should be 'no'. Because I need the internet like I need air. D:

sandygrimm
03-02-12, 09:34

anything in the PC circle/ internet. I said smartphones since those are geting to be more the it tech, and tablets! :)

this was what I wanted to post in the OP.

We are all in dependency with the internet, if it could it would be hooked interventions. We got smartphones that will take the place of credit cards, PCs, books. We all know texting and driving is dangerous, we also know texting and walking is dangerous, since u may not pay attention and get hit by a car walking threw a red light.
Did u also know all the texting can lead to spinal hunching? Yes you hunch over while you text. You may say it' s not much, but in time it gets worse. Ask any doctor.
But besides this. many kids start to spend more time inside, playing on their x-box, talking online....etc. I admit I'm a hermit too :p. But due to this a lot of people develop a vitamin D deficiency.

Vitamin D Deficiency

If you shun the sun, suffer from milk allergies, or adhere to a strict vegetarian diet, you may be at risk for vitamin D deficiency. Known as the sunshine vitamin, vitamin D is produced by the body in response to sunlight. It is also occurs naturally in a few foods -- including fish, fish liver oils, and egg yolks -- and in fortified dairy and grain products.

Vitamin D is essential for strong bones because it helps the body use calcium from the diet. Traditionally, vitamin D deficiency has been associated with rickets, a disease in which the bone tissue doesn't properly mineralize, leading to soft bones and skeletal deformities. But increasingly, research is revealing the importance of vitamin D in protecting against a host of health problems.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/vitamin-d-deficiency

Apathetic
03-02-12, 09:35
I send several thousand texts a week, I don't think so.

Phlip
03-02-12, 10:24
I could do more than a day, so I voted for a few.

I mean, you're not gonna die suddenly if you can't use some tech. :p

MyRaider4Life
03-02-12, 10:32
Hell no! for me, unfortunately. /no social life

Liara
03-02-12, 10:38
I've had my computer break down before, so I was basically in the dark for about a week at the longest. I can get through it, but I turn very cranky and annoying and all round unpleasant to have around.

I don't actually a phone myself... so that part doesn't really apply to me, but the technology side sure does.
:tmb:

I'd chuck my phone right out the window if I didn't have my folks phoning me all day.

scremanie
03-02-12, 10:45
Nope. My phone is glued to me.

Apathetic
03-02-12, 10:49
I would actually die without my phone. I wouldn't know what to do with myself.

Legend of Lara
03-02-12, 10:50
I send several thousand texts a week, I don't think so.

How's that like? I send maybe two texts a month.

Apathetic
03-02-12, 10:51
How's that like? I send maybe two texts a month.

What do you mean?

If you have T-Mobile you can log on and look at your usage information.

http://oi41.************/zmdw6a.jpg http://oi40.************/143jrzd.jpg

That's a lot of texting.

digitizedboy
03-02-12, 11:03
Well... I can do without phones, I hate phones! The PC however is a different story.

Legend of Lara
03-02-12, 11:11
If you have T-Mobile you can log on and look at your usage information.

http://oi41.************/zmdw6a.jpg http://oi40.************/143jrzd.jpg

That's a lot of texting.

Oh... boy. 16k texts in one month? That's... insane. o_o

Apathetic
03-02-12, 11:28
Isn't it? I wonder how much texts it would be per hour if you did the math and averaged it out.

sandygrimm
03-02-12, 11:33
how many of them texts are actual words or sentences? :pi:

Apathetic
03-02-12, 11:36
I use full grammar in my texts.

sandygrimm
03-02-12, 11:39
no replies simply LOL, or stuff like that? and still so many?

Apathetic
03-02-12, 11:41
Yes!

Actually, I think that message count may include both sent and received texts, so, if you cut it in half I guess it's not that bad.

Shark_Blade
03-02-12, 11:50
Of course. Even if there is no technology at all, I'll find something else to entertain myself.

sandygrimm
03-02-12, 12:13
Yes!

Actually, I think that message count may include both sent and received texts, so, if you cut it in half I guess it's not that bad.

Ah than yes would sound as normal amount :)

Surprising outcome to the poll I must admit! here I thought would be quite the opposite considering so many tech members. Maybe it's the older generation or less financial part that is the one that can go more without?

Shark_Blade
03-02-12, 12:26
^Not really. I have iphone, internet, etc.

Technologies are merely tools. Without them, it's back to basic and we will learn to adapt. In addition, it's good for the mind and soul too getting away from techs/gadgets for a while. It's all in the mindset.

The Great Chi
03-02-12, 12:35
I still have my 1990's mobile flip phone, ala ....Captain Kirk/star trek style.

When I get a call, it has the star trek sound that goes 'breeepkaaaaa' like someone stepping on a cricket, Is that how its pronounced :vlol:

And when everyone looks round to see where this famous noise is coming from, I then dramatically flip my phone open and take on the Captain Kirk stance :D

Other than phoning in and out, it has no other real capabilities.

Though it does have a basic texting system relying on the old ABC, DEF buttons, where you have to press a combination of butons just to get a C, and can take up to ten minutes just to write 'will be home soon' :(

Hence, I do not us texting much.

maximum_123
03-02-12, 12:47
I think I just live on texting. I send at least 30,000+ texts a month, somebody save me and my risk of RSI.

Shark_Blade
03-02-12, 12:52
I think I just live on texting. I send at least [b]30,000+ texts a month, somebody save me and my risk of RSI.

Are you serious? O_o

You should go to TA, for texting addiction.

Tombraiderx08
03-02-12, 12:54
Can I? Yes. Do I want to? Not necessarily :vlol:

The Great Chi
03-02-12, 12:55
Do you know that in the USA, on average thirty people a year are killed directly by being too engrossed on texting that they walk straight onto the road and get hit by a car, bus or lorry.

Also quite a number of distracted people, while texting, also do silly things like walking straight into rivers, fall into a shopping mall waterfall, or just generally fall of the edge of a high ledge. At least they survive to tell about it :D

Zebra
03-02-12, 13:00
A day? Yes. Maybe even a week but certainly no longer than that,

shebj
03-02-12, 13:05
sony ericsson w300i. this is the one I currently have ; got him since 2007 and I hope he will have a long life ; it would be hard for me to part with it... :D

I can't phone with it any more. Well I can call ; but people don't hear me while I can hear them ; but with headphones that problem is fixed :D

I did say I can live without technology ; that would mean; if it's not available ; I'm okay with it ; there has been plenty of times that I did not have a computer or phone in my vicinity ; but if it is around; well... it would be very very hard for me to not use it.

Andes
03-02-12, 13:07
Can I go without my phone? Effortlessly. I've also got a steam-powered thing, more artifact than phone. The texting-setup is so poor there's always a danger that the bloody device is gonna get atomised in frustration long before I've finished trying to 'type' the message. Watching my lad use his new-fangled thing makes my eyes go funny, and he simply doesn't care about the 'spy' software on it, which is happily logging every single thing he does.

Personally I'd be happiest off-grid entirely, high up in the South American spine, little technology except maybe an internet cafe a horse ride away, just so's I could d/l the latest custom level onto my otherwise very stand-alone laptop, and to check on here for help getting through the games. If only, eh?

TombOfRaiders
03-02-12, 17:04
Nope, can't go a single day without it. Honestly. :p

TRLegendLuver
03-02-12, 17:05
I've done it many times. Not a big deal. I just grab a book I like or do some drawing or even write some music.

robm_2007
03-02-12, 17:05
I am not a sadist, but I think that I could manage a few days with no technology. I would still use kitchen appliances and an alarm clock, though.

I have no phone, and would be having internet/game/music/video withdrawals, but I think that I would manage.

Mikky
03-02-12, 17:08
I don't even have a regular phone, let alone a smartphone, lol. :p So yes. And depending on what is meant by "technology", I'm also going to say yes. As boring as it is, I've gone days and weeks without the internet or anything else.
On a side note, I haven't played a video game in over 3 months and it is torture. T_T

Draco
03-02-12, 17:13
Where is the option for 'Yes, and every day after'?

Mytly
03-02-12, 19:07
I don't have a smartphone, so it's perfectly easy to get along without it. I am quite thoroughly addicted to my PC - and to a lesser degree to the internet - and get withdrawal symptoms when away from them :p, but I can certainly manage without them for a few days if I need to.

tomekkobialka
03-02-12, 19:11
I don't have a phone at all and I don't want to get a smartphone because I know I'll be constantly using it...:pi: But I have gone away for many weeks without access to internet and TV, and it's during those times that you realise that reading a book is the best form of entertainment. ;) But then the question is a little ambiguous as technology doesn't have to be electric...

EDIT: Checked 'explanation' post...if we're talking about the PC/internet circle then I can go without it as long as I need to. :)

oocladableeblah
03-02-12, 19:15
I would say a few days. I mean I can read a book or something to entertain me, but after that hell no I couldn't lol. I love technology, and use it all the time.

Rai
03-02-12, 19:55
Damn, I voted for the wrong thing :pi: I was supposed to vote 'Yes'. Realistically, I'd say a few weeks for technology (I don't have a smartphone and don't need one). Only because I'd miss my friends on here/have lots of coursework to do. I'm a bit addicted to the internet and my ps3 ._.

You could go a few weeks without technology even though you're addicted to the internet? Good for you! I'm impressed. :p

I don't have a smartphone, but I couldn't go without my laptop for more than a couple of weeks, I guess. Have done it before when on holiday. But I doubt I'd go the same amount without my kindle.

xXhayleyroxXx
03-02-12, 19:58
You could go a few weeks without technology even though you're addicted to the internet? Good for you! I'm impressed. :p.

Yeah xD I'm only addicted to it when it's there for me to use -- if I went camping or something it would be fine. I'm quite happy just reading a book or painting or writing in place of internet browsing.

Rai
03-02-12, 20:06
Yeah xD I'm only addicted to it when it's there for me to use -- if I went camping or something it would be fine. I'm quite happy just reading a book or painting or writing in place of internet browsing.

I know what you mean. When it's there, you just sort of automatically use it, but if you don't have access, it's like technology, what technology? That's the beauty of mah Kindle though as it's nice and small so can fit in a coat pocket :cln:

BrandonFlowers
03-02-12, 20:08
I know what you mean. When it's there, you just sort of automatically use it, but if you don't have access, it's like technology, what technology? That's the beauty of mah Kindle though as it's nice and small so can fit in a coat pocket :cln:

Technology of the DEVIL! :p

xXhayleyroxXx
03-02-12, 20:11

Yeah! Exactly that xD I don't need technology really, apart from when I need it for research, and I don't really use my phone all too often either. Its my friends that tend to tie me to those xD I quite like escaping technology. And aww :p Kindles seem awesome <3

AmericanAssassin
03-02-12, 20:12
I'd be pretty miserable without my Blackberry, laptop, and Kindle, but I'd survive. I guess...

herothing
03-02-12, 20:12
I can probably stay away from my technology forever, but I can't guarantee I can stay away and still be happy.

Avalon SARL
03-02-12, 20:42
Yes

sandygrimm
03-02-12, 20:49
What would you guys do if there was a solar flare that destroyed the electrical grid? Wiped out satellites? we live in fragile times my firneds! Even a local black out shows how dependant we are!

Love2Raid
03-02-12, 20:55
Sure.

digitizedboy
03-02-12, 21:01
What would you guys do if there was a solar flare that destroyed the electrical grid? Wiped out satellites? we live in fragile times my firneds! Even a local black out shows how dependant we are!

I think that's the point in time they'll start to announce the surpressed "free-energy" they have had and known about for years. lol

Rai
03-02-12, 22:07

Well then you're taking the term 'technology' onto the level of electricity as a whole. True, an oven or microwave is technology too, but they're soo much more important than technology that we use for entertainment, which this thread/poll appears to be geared toward (being that it focuses on smartphones, which don't rely on electricity until you need to charge them up). But yes, it does show how dependent on electricity we are :p. But apparently there are solar flares all the time, so the chances of one shorting the entire electricity grid or wiping out satellites is quite low. Perhaps :pi:. My family went without electricity for a week a few years back thanks to major storms in France shorting the power out. Fortunately we had a gas cooker on hand to heat water and cook with, but the heating was out, so we relied on one gas heater. Let's just say, it was good to have a shower after that week.

I still think it's about ruddy time we found different ways to harness power, I think the shortage of coal is far more of a risk to our supplies than a solar flare. (I could be majorly wrong on this though, my knowledge on these things is lacking :o).

Nemo_91
03-02-12, 22:08
Yes, easily.

Linoshi Croft
03-02-12, 22:12
I don't have one and I don't want one, I find them tedious and to be just a "trendy" thing to have.

patriots88888
03-02-12, 22:22

I think it's safe to say that some would have a much more difficult time dealing with it than others.

CosmoCroft
03-02-12, 22:58
If I have a good book or a sketchpad or something then I could go a good while. But I need music.

the ancient
04-02-12, 15:20
I could go a few days without technology.
If I'm surounded with other people of course...