PDA

View Full Version : What's your preferred OS?

jajay119
04-02-12, 15:12
Today, is the day I got my new laptop. For ages I have wanted a Macbook because I love their design, but I couldn't justify the price for something I only wanted, not needed. But my netbook seems to have been getting slower and less efficient by the day. So, I finally took the plunge and bought a new laptop that had clearly been designed to be like the Macbook Air, without the expensive price tag. The only probem? It runs on Linux-Ubuntu. Now, knowing Linux is pretty small compared to MS and Apple I was rather hesitant but after some extensive reading on Ubuntu, I decided to go for it. I've never really liked MS operating systems and Linux seemed to be a perfect crossblend of the two. I have to say, on the whole, I'm not disappointed with how user-friendly and fast Linux is to used compared to Xp, Vista or 7. Although OSX is still just that little bit faster. The only problem? Lack of Apple support for i-Tunes. But that is easily remediable via some Linux homebrew or Virtualbox which will allow me to run xp as if it were an application, instead of an OS.

So, It seems to me that everything in like comes down to a brand war.Now, I'm not calling anyone here a fanboy. But, it's, pretty much, safe to say that everyone has their preferred operating system for their different products. So, my question is. What is your favourite operating system for;

A)Your computer
B) Your mobile

I'm loving Ubuntu, but I will say that Apple OS is still top dog, if I'm to get another Laptop in the future (which will most probably be when I'm full employed, hopefully) it will be a Mac. But Windows definitely comes third in this race for me.

Having only used Blackberry OS and iOS for phones, I have to say iOS wins again due to it's ease of use. But, of course, I have not tried Android or Windows (which probably won't ever happne :p).

Your thoughts?

lcroft_lc
04-02-12, 15:14
I was in love with Windows XP once then I switched to Windows 7. Now its the best OS I have ever seen. :)

Larson_1988
04-02-12, 15:15
Windows XP was my preferred one, until i installed Windows 7, :jmp:

TRULuverzz
04-02-12, 15:16
A. Windows 7
B. iOS (Had blackberry's but they're horrible compared to iPhones!)

Mikky
04-02-12, 15:21
Windows 7. And I don't have a mobile.

Gladous
04-02-12, 15:29
Windows 7
Droid OS

:D

sandygrimm
04-02-12, 16:21
Windows XP! :wve:

Cochrane
04-02-12, 16:23
Apple all the way, with Mac OS X and iOS.

Windows looks as if it could be an okay second choice in both areas. I use Windows 7 for gaming, and it does what it is supposed to, but overall, it is a bit more hassle and a lot less fun than Mac OS X. I've seen phones with Windows Phone 7, and it looks very nice - Metro is definitely one of the more interesting design languages today. Of course, it lacks good app support, which is not so nice. I could probably find replacements for all apps I regularly use on iOS, but on iOS, I can choose between, say, five different Twitter or Google Reader clients, which is a luxury I don't want to miss.

I've used Linux for two different development projects this semester at my university, and it, too, does what I asked of it. I've tried installing Ubuntu on my MacBook Pro for one of them, which was a major hassle and in the end did not work (I'm sure it would have if I spent more time googling for solutions, but I don't think that should be necessary for a modern operating system). The new Ubuntu HUD interface is really weird. It's interesting, but I'd have to spend more time with it to see whether it is really a good idea. All other Linux interfaces I've used were basically just copies of Windows and/or Mac OS X and felt rather bland.

I really do not like Android, although it seems I'll be doing a lot of development for it for my master's thesis. It just looks worse, there are no software updates (and speaking from a developer's perspective, it is absolutely horrible that you can't rely on Android 2.3 being available) and it simply does not offer any clear advantage over iOS when it comes to usability. A deal breaker for me, although this is rather esoteric, is the horrible, horrible support for C and C++ (which I had to use because the code was already there and I didn't want to rewrite it all in Java). It is supported, in theory, but this support is experimental at best.

Rosaly
04-02-12, 16:25
Windows 7 :)

lcroft_lc
04-02-12, 16:36
Windows 7. And I don't have a mobile.

Wut! :eek:

trfanX34
04-02-12, 17:17
Windows 7, Android.

Saman
04-02-12, 17:19
Well I'm still using Windows XP or better said prefer to use it! But for gaming I use to be Windows 7, from those games are better running with Direct X 11, but I'm not gaming that much, I want a simple and fast OS that is I need to do my tasks with the computer, just like windows XP!

Plus I have linux suse on my second drive too, some times I've switch to penguin! Feeling great you know, but I can't stand with the linux, so backing to windows.

AmericanAssassin
04-02-12, 17:20
I don't know that they're my preference, but I use Windows 7 and whatever my Blackberry operates with. :p

KC Mraz
04-02-12, 17:32
I use OS X ("Lion"). Ever since I changed to it I don't think I'll ever use Windows as my main OS again. The attention to detail is impressive, and the way trackpad gestures are built into the system make me almost impossible to want any other OS. I'd miss them too much.

As for mobile, I really like Android (version 4, "Ice Cream Sandwich"). It's snappy, it's very good looking, battery life is great, and the app selection keeps growing and growing. I've gotten used to a 4+ inch display that a lot of Android devices have, in comparison every on-screen detail on the iPhone look tiny to me.

lara c. fan
04-02-12, 17:35
Computer: Windows 7. Mac's look nice, but pricing would require me to sell my body for extended periods of time.

Phone: Android. I just prefer Android in this case, though iOS looks nice. :D

Legend of Lara
04-02-12, 17:43
A. Windows 7. I think it's lovely.
B. My phone is too old for that.

Weemanply109
04-02-12, 18:08
Windows 7. ;)
Android (Even though I don't own one).

moodydog
04-02-12, 18:22
Windows 7
I don't own an OS phone. I have an older one.

jajay119
04-02-12, 18:41
Wow, a lot of MS love going on here. That's quite refreshing to see, to be honest, many of my friends are Apple elitists, so I was expecting much more Apple favouritism :)

I'm not surprised to see no one said Linux. Like I said, it's got a pretty small user base, only 20 million or there abouts. But I'm really liking it. It's so flexible because it's open source. Of course there must be downsides, which I am yet to discover as only 12 hours as a Linuxee!

Zelda master
04-02-12, 18:55
I use Windows 7 on PC, but I loved the Developer release of 8, looking forward to that one.
Mobile is Android, but it's somewhat of a mixed blessing, it's easy and costemizable. But this in turn can make the platform unstable, but I still perfer that above the tight grip Apple has on iOS or Blackberry which in general just sucks :p

Weemanply109
04-02-12, 18:56
I was expecting much more Apple favouritism :)

What exactly does Apple's OS' offer for the average PC user that Windows doesn't?

Cochrane
04-02-12, 19:08
Wow, a lot of MS love going on here. That's quite refreshing to see, to be honest, many of my friends are Apple elitists, so I was expecting much more Apple favouritism :)
I think most people don't actually love Windows, it's just what they are used to. They don't care about alternatives, are scared of the effects of trying (e.g. potential data loss) or simply don't want to spend the money for an Apple computer. So Windows is all they ever try, and so they say "that's what I like best!"

Mac OS X isn't for everyone, of course, but I think many, many people would be happier with it, they just have never given it a try.

I'm not surprised to see no one said Linux. Like I said, it's got a pretty small user base, only 20 million or there abouts. But I'm really liking it. It's so flexible because it's open source. Of course there must be downsides, which I am yet to discover as only 12 hours as a Linuxee!

Give it time. :D

trfanX34
04-02-12, 19:12
^ I have given a try to Mac OSX and Linux, and they're both pretty good, but I prefer having full compatibility with all kinds of software and data, and I get that with Windows.

Weemanply109
04-02-12, 19:15
Exactly, Windows is compatible with far more formats. It's more accessible.

Let's not forget that you can play games on Windows.. Even though Mac's can too, the library of games available to the OS is very limited.

tomekkobialka
04-02-12, 20:14
1. Windows 7
2. Nokia 3310 :wve:

Johnnay
04-02-12, 20:38
PC: Windows 7..XP...2000...Vista

Mobile

iOS: pure, beautiful and simple. Android is very horrible. I can write so much negativity about it

Draco
04-02-12, 20:39
Android, Id use it on my PC if I could.

trfanX34
04-02-12, 20:40
^ You actually can install Android on PCs AFAIK, but it's awful.

Mobile

iOS: pure, beautiful and simple. Android is very horrible. I can write so much negativity about it

Like, for example? I'm curious :I

maximum_123
04-02-12, 20:42
I agree completely with Cochrane.

I've been using OS X and iOS for years now and they're by far the best in my own opinion, for stability especially.

Windows 7 is also the best Windows OS and WP7 looks really nice too, so I'd choose that as my next phone if I had to, but there also is a worrying lack of support with Apps there too, it'll only get better though, of course. After that I'd have to say Blackberry and I don't get on well with Ubuntu/Linux and I don't see the point, either.

And finally, Android. Which is, well. Um. I don't like that. At all. I've used 4 Android phones before at points where I broke my iPhone because I'm a literal phone killer and they've been the most horrible experiences of using a phone ever. I basically just stopped texting too when I had an Android as they were so awful for that and incredibly laggy. I used to type real quick too which confused the phone and the autocorrect bar disappeared and the phone couldn't keep up so all I'd really type would be 'cxsqnnf' or something.

So yeah, Mac OS X and iOS.

TRULuverzz
04-02-12, 20:42

Mobile

It's not horrid, but I do agree with you there, Android phones are not my cup of tea, iOS rules :rolleyes:

MyRaider4Life
05-02-12, 02:52
The best Windows PC is an Apple Mac, as I like to say. :3 Although, I still have a ****ty Windows PC. :I

PC: Windows 7
MOBLIE: iOS ...but I'm moving to Android in a few days.

Lara's Nemesis
05-02-12, 03:01
Still on XP, as long as it works and I can get online and access my docs then I'm not too bothered about upgrading.

matrix54
05-02-12, 03:30
I'm torn between the stability of XP and the ease of 7, and the Protection of Mac. :vlol:

Larapink
05-02-12, 04:25
I mainly use Windows Ultimate 7 x64 for my 3D/post production film work & my pc gaming on.

I have used mac's before, but currently I don't own a mac. So Windows is my preferred OS, I can only fully do my creative work on a windows computer. :tmb:

sierra xb
05-02-12, 06:23
I'm on XP and have no plans to upgrade. I don't do anything complicated with my computer, so if it works, it works.