PDA

View Full Version : Music site RnBXclusive shut down by SOCA

TR FAN 18
15-02-12, 17:13
Music site RnBXclusive.com has been shut down by the UK's Serious Organised Crime Agency (Soca).

A takedown notice warned visitors who have used the site to download music they could face up to 10 years imprisonment and an unlimited fine.

Soca said music posted on the site was "stolen from the artists" and may have "damaged careers".

A man has been arrested for fraud and bailed pending further enquiries, police told the BBC.

"Soca targets organised criminal enterprises profiting from the exploitation of the UK public and legitimate businesses," the agency said in a statement.

"Much of the music offered for download by the RnBXclusive.com website was illegally obtained from artists, leading the industry to attribute losses of approximately 15m per year to the site's activity."

Soca added that the action was part of a wider operation combating illegal uploading of copyrighted material online, with several sites being targeted using "varied techniques".

Some industry observers believe the action is a fresh sign that British authorities are stepping up efforts to stamp out online piracy.

However, Loz Kaye, leader of the Pirate Party UK, said he disagreed with the nature of the closure.

"The explicit threat to visitors of the site and take down notice is alarming.

"The claim that the information gathered can be used to identify visitors and their location, followed by a statement that Soca has the capability to monitor, investigate and inform visitors internet service providers of apparent 'infringements', making visitors liable for prosecution seems extreme and unduly threatening."

RnBXclusive.com also ran Twitter and Facebook accounts which remain accessible - although links posted on both services are now inactive as a result of the main site's takedown.
'Monitor and investigate'

On Facebook, fans of the website reacted angrily to the closure.

"Screw Soca!" one user wrote. Another added: "Am I the only one scared of this 10 year jail and fine?"

Police told the BBC they would not comment on whether any of the site's users were currently being pursued.

The website, which is registered to an address in Leicester, was unreachable on Wednesday.

The Soca message, which is now displayed to all visitors of RnBXclusive, displays the user's internet protocol (IP) address, which can be used to identify people online.

The notice warns that Soca has "the capability to monitor and investigate you".

"Members of the public can become facilitators of organised crime by obtaining property or services from its perpetrators," a Soca spokesman said.

"Soca is committed to raising awareness of this threat, its potential consequences, and the steps people can take to avoid involvement."

Last month, officials shut down MegaUpload - one of the world's biggest file-sharing sites. Its owner, Kim Dotcom is being held in New Zealand having been denied bail.

Source: BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17039722)

I have never heard of this site but the threat of 10 years in prison for downloading files from that site sounds really serious. :eek:
It's scary that they can display YOUR IP address on there.

afzalmiah
15-02-12, 17:20
Woah thank God I didn't download music from there! :yik:

NRO.
15-02-12, 17:20
What the hell is SOCA?

tomblover
15-02-12, 17:21
Eh.

You'll get more time in jail for stealing an artist's music than killing them, these days. :rolleyes:

Zelda master
15-02-12, 17:21
Why the hell do people download crappy quality music..? :p

trfanX34
15-02-12, 17:22
What the actual ****. 10 years in prison? That's ridiculous.

TRULuverzz
15-02-12, 17:22
SOPA was gone, now there's SOCA. You've got to be kidding me.
And the 10 years imprisonment, :eek: they're like ****ing extremists or something!

klona
15-02-12, 17:23
What the hell is SOCA?

SOPA rip offs.
Much worse.

Phlip
15-02-12, 18:12
This is pretty scary...

lara c. fan
15-02-12, 18:13
SOPA rip offs.
Much worse.

Much worse in that they take down organised crime? Sons of bitches!

Legend of Lara
15-02-12, 18:13
Shut.

Down.

Everything.

also pirates lrn2 torrent

Tombraider95
15-02-12, 18:24
SOPA?
ACTA?

Now SOCA?

http://i54.************/x2rkts.jpg

Weemanply109
15-02-12, 18:28
****. I've downloaded a few tracks with their site tagged in it, though I'm unsure of how I originally obtained them...

Avalon SARL
15-02-12, 18:29
Never heard of them and I don't download music anyway

tomee
15-02-12, 19:51
SOPA, PIPA, ACTA, SOCA...

http://0.tqn.com/d/webtrends/1/0/J/A/-/-/y-u-no.png

jajay119
15-02-12, 20:14
A. What the hell is SOCA and why have we never heard of it? SOPA and ACTA are everywhere.

B. What is an 'unlimited fine'?

C. 10 years in prison? You can get less for murder and other crimes.

4. Why go after this, relatively unknown site, when there are other much more priminant ones?

All sounds a bit fishy to me.

tomekkobialka
15-02-12, 20:29
Ridiculous. The UK should really go get a sanity check.

lara c. fan
15-02-12, 21:12
SOCA are the Serious Organised Crime Agency. They do a lot of other stuff, such as taking down human trafficking, drugs, gun crime, fraud and money laundering. I just basically took that from the website.

This is the first time I've ever actually heard of them taking down a music-sharing website. :p

lord gaga
15-02-12, 21:14
Just a fun fact
In trinidad (where i'm from) SOCA is a type of music that plays around carnival time which is next week so its weird that i hear about this now!

Tombraiderx08
15-02-12, 21:15
Looks like we'll be hearing from Anonymous again, lol

Weemanply109
15-02-12, 21:54
^Hopefully. I actually agree with Anonymous on most cases. Atleast their intentions are good.

Ridiculous. The UK should really go get a sanity check.

So everyone in the UK is insane now?

Erm, I just realised I used to frequent that blog that was taken down and I've downloaded tracks from them before, but it was long ago. So..

Apathetic
15-02-12, 21:55
Of course, another act which I'd assume only benefits the rich greedy individuals or corporations while robbing practically innocent people of their rights.

Larapink
15-02-12, 21:55
I don't care, since I never used that site in the first place! :p

Ward Dragon
15-02-12, 22:12
SOCA are the Serious Organised Crime Agency. They do a lot of other stuff, such as taking down human trafficking, drugs, gun crime, fraud and money laundering. I just basically took that from the website.

This is the first time I've ever actually heard of them taking down a music-sharing website. :p

Interesting. Maybe the website was run by mafia or something like that.

Mikky
15-02-12, 22:33
I never used the site, so it's no biggie for me. :p

But 2 sites being taken down in just 2 (or whatever) months? What could this mean for the future of the interwebz? :pi:

Summer B
15-02-12, 22:35
Never heard of them and I don't download music anyway
Neither do I... well, unless it's through iTunes, Amazon or Play - uh, that's not illegal too is it!?

Ward Dragon
15-02-12, 22:48
Neither do I... well, unless it's through iTunes, Amazon or Play - uh, that's not illegal too is it!?

I don't know what Play is, but iTunes and Amazon are definitely legal :)

Summer B
15-02-12, 22:58
I don't know what Play is, but iTunes and Amazon are definitely legal :)
Play is play.com - an online store like Amazon and iTunes.

Cool tho'. :)

God Horus
15-02-12, 23:02
This SOCA stuff is ridiculous! :hea:

tomekkobialka
15-02-12, 23:07
So everyone in the UK is insane now?

Yes, of course that's what I meant. :ton:

I think it's SOCA just showing the badass boys that they are and trying to say "don't mess with us, SOPA may be dead but we are going to show those Americans what we're made of". Yeah right. :rolleyes:

lara c. fan
15-02-12, 23:46
Interesting. Maybe the website was run by mafia or something like that.

It's certainly something to look in to... I wouldn't have thought that SOCA would get involved in taking down a music sharing site, but that's that, I guess.

I still don't get why everyone is instantly comparing them to SOPA because of this. This kind of thing has been going on for a long time... Don't people remember stuff like the various sites that hosted TV shows and movies being taken down long before SOPA? Maybe SOPA just drew everyone's attention to it or something.

Legend of Lara
15-02-12, 23:48
SOCA is just one letter off SOPA so it had to happen.

lara c. fan
15-02-12, 23:52
SOCA is just one letter off SOPA so it had to happen.

Hmm... :p

Spong
16-02-12, 04:17
What's with everyone in this thread constantly asking what SOCA is? Did none of you bother to read the first line of the article? It's the Serious Organised Crime Agency, a public body set up by the British Government to investigate...wait for it...serious organised crime. This particular story just happens to involve some dodgy website offering illegally obtained music, but people seem to have latched on to that and are assuming SOCA is something to do with the net and copyright infringement, like it's some variant on SOPA. It isn't.

scoopy_loopy
16-02-12, 06:40
Pfft. What a joke. Go after the ringleaders and site owners, but going after the consumers of this stuff is stupid.

cezy rockeru
16-02-12, 07:16
Soca said music posted on the site was "stolen from the artists" and may have "damaged careers".

yeah, the poor artists lost ~some dollars that would've been used for buying another car.

like ten weren't enough.

Ward Dragon
16-02-12, 08:08
What's with everyone in this thread constantly asking what SOCA is? Did none of you bother to read the first line of the article? It's the Serious Organised Crime Agency, a public body set up by the British Government to investigate...wait for it...serious organised crime.

I'm still having trouble seeing what this website has to do with organized crime though, unless my earlier guess was right and it's run by the mafia or funding terrorism or something like that. In my mind, serious organized crime specifically has to do with people getting murdered, assaulted, extorted, etc. Piracy really doesn't have anything in common with that.

tampi
16-02-12, 08:38
I prefer to whistle my own songs even at the risk of sounding stupid.
My country's version of all these corporations came to be a den of opportunists who stayed with the money for their own benefit.

Spong
16-02-12, 08:51
I'm still having trouble seeing what this website has to do with organized crime though, unless my earlier guess was right and it's run by the mafia or funding terrorism or something like that. In my mind, serious organized crime specifically has to do with people getting murdered, assaulted, extorted, etc. Piracy really doesn't have anything in common with that.

I'd say it's probably more about the scale of the crime rather than the actual crime itself. Given the "SOCA targets organised criminal enterprises" description and the fact that the site was apparently raking in 15m a year, I'd say it must've been a large-scale operation that took some serious organisation. Who the people behind the organisation/fraud are, or what they're doing with the money, is neither here nor there really.

Johnnay
16-02-12, 08:52
SOPA was gone, now there's SOCA. You've got to be kidding me.
And the 10 years imprisonment, :eek: they're like ****ing extremists or something!

SOCA is an organisation in the UK. it isnt a ACT Like SOPA, PIPA, ACTA...

Looks like we'll be hearing from Anonymous again, lol

this.

i have never even been on this website in my life so yeah... lucky

Miharu
16-02-12, 10:27
Never heard of the website or SOPA or SOCA. >_<

Legend of Lara
16-02-12, 10:40
Never heard of the website or SOPA or SOCA. >_<

Never heard of SOPA? It was practically all the internet could talk about last month.

Weemanply109
16-02-12, 20:41
What's with everyone in this thread constantly asking what SOCA is? Did none of you bother to read the first line of the article? It's the Serious Organised Crime Agency, a public body set up by the British Government to investigate...wait for it...serious organised crime. This particular story just happens to involve some dodgy website offering illegally obtained music, but people seem to have latched on to that and are assuming SOCA is something to do with the net and copyright infringement, like it's some variant on SOPA. It isn't.

This. :rolleyes:

Ward Dragon
17-02-12, 00:43
I'd say it's probably more about the scale of the crime rather than the actual crime itself. Given the "SOCA targets organised criminal enterprises" description and the fact that the site was apparently raking in 15m a year, I'd say it must've been a large-scale operation that took some serious organisation. Who the people behind the organisation/fraud are, or what they're doing with the money, is neither here nor there really.

But the article didn't say that the site was taking in 15m a year, they said that's what the music industry claims they lost as a result of the site. They probably just looked at how many songs got downloaded and then multiplied that number by the average cost of a CD to get their total losses, and I'm sure they claim Youtube is costing them even more than that.

Anyhow, I think that there's either something else going on here aside from what got reported in the story, or else this really doesn't seem like "serious organized crime" to me.