PDA

View Full Version : Which Tomb Raider had the best swimming segments?

Ward Dragon
20-02-12, 06:46
Poll requested by King.Louie :)

robm_2007
20-02-12, 06:47
Where is this supposed poll?????
:mad:

:pi:

I think I'll say AOD. At least, I really like the swimming animations and such in that game. Least favorite would be TRU (the standard swim animations are bad, but the Med Sea segments are very good), even though that is not what this thread is about.

Ward Dragon
20-02-12, 06:48
Where is this supposed poll?????
:mad:

:pi:

That didn't take long :p After I submit the thread I get taken to the poll screen and then I have to type in the question and the choices.

Catracoth
20-02-12, 06:53
I voted Angel of Darkness.

leglion
20-02-12, 07:00
Definitely Underworld. The swimming segments were very fleshed out when compared to the other games and it consists of more than just finding a switch or finding your way to the other end without running out of breath.

TRULuverzz
20-02-12, 07:08
Angel of Darkness :tmb:

Shark_Blade
20-02-12, 07:11
I'd go with TR2.

Reason: 40 Fathoms level.

ajrich17901
Oi, voted for 2 by accident wanted to vote AOD >.<

Lukass
Underworld.

Spong
20-02-12, 07:16
TR1 :yah:

Orionvalentine
20-02-12, 07:18
TR2! 40 Fathoms was one of the scariest levels ever :cln:

Plus... dat wetsuit

sandygrimm
20-02-12, 07:29
I'd go with TR2 and 5 those claustrophobic agoraphobic levels under the ocean! And Venice! :)

scoopy_loopy
20-02-12, 07:59
AOD's were both novel and challenging. Many of the underwater areas were also stunning.

!Lara Croft!
20-02-12, 08:01
AOD's swimming controls and animations are unsurpassed. I just wish there were more areas to use them.

Stevo505
20-02-12, 08:10
Underworld takes this one. It was a relief not to be stressed out over needed air the whole time. The underwater control was done very well, and actually better than normal on-land control IMO. The underwater environments were beautiful and the puzzles were good.

MyRaider4Life
20-02-12, 08:20
Is there even a reason to ask? TR2 hands down.

Reggie
20-02-12, 08:53
AOD's were both novel and challenging. Many of the underwater areas were also stunning.

AOD's swimming controls and animations are unsurpassed. I just wish there were more areas to use them.
Both of these say exactly why AOD has the best swimming sections in my opinion. The controls felt so right and so responsive - after the rigidity of AOD's usual moving around, its a relief when there are swimming sections. :p The enemies, traps and puzzles faced underwater and the areas flooded out like Tomb of Ancient, Hall of Poseidon, Vault of Trophies and other parts of the game all looked visually stunning as well.

jonathanrij
20-02-12, 09:03
The Angel of Darkness, for the reasons stated above :p.

Melonie Tomb Raider
20-02-12, 09:36
TR2, bar none. :tmb:

Caesum
20-02-12, 09:42
While I love TRAOD swimming controls, because they were very responsive as opposed to the classic serie(and CD's as well), I'll vote for TR2. This thread is about the best segment and I really love Maria Doria levels. :D

Yet I'm glad that TRAOD and TR2 both have same number of votes. Finally some thread in which TRAOD(<3) isn't insulted by everyone. :D

noonbob
20-02-12, 11:21
TR2 :yah:

i also really like AOD :D

TRU i didn't like :pi:

BrandonFlowers
20-02-12, 11:24
Underworld :D

sheepman23
20-02-12, 11:31
It's unusual to see me picking AoD in a poll, but it's true - AoD's swimming controls (and segments) are one of the best things about the game. All you have to do is play the opening of the Vault of Trophies, Neptune's Hall, or the exit to the Tomb of Ancients to see how much fun swimming is in AoD. :tmb:

I almost wanted to pick TR2, though. Although the controls are the exact same as the other classics, there are a lot of great swimming segments in the Maria Doria section. :D

Vinkula
20-02-12, 11:40
TR2 definately :tmb: Maria Doria levels, ah!

Nenya awakens
20-02-12, 12:32
I'm gonna vote for tr2 because even though tr1 had the better locations and atmosphere I'll never forget being dumped in the bottom of the ocean and having to swim around trying to find which direction to go, atmosphere was incredible. The only one of crystals games I enjoyed swimming in was underworld and that was because I love exploring the ocean. Well... I say exploring... :p

tomblover
20-02-12, 12:38
TR3 (including TLA) for me. :p

jajay119
20-02-12, 12:39
Tomb Raider 2: Starring Lara Croft

and

AOD

Afonya
20-02-12, 13:01
I voted Aod, but TR2 and TRU also had nice swimming segments. Aod has so pretty animations.

Phlip
20-02-12, 13:14
TR1 had a perfect ratio of land to water, the swimming sections never felt out of place or dragged on.

peeves
20-02-12, 13:18
Tomb Raider 3

LNSNHGTDS
20-02-12, 14:52
Oh my god, I'm the only one who voted Legend :p !

Well, that's because I haven't played the classics and I never managed to reach places with water in Chronicles or Angel of Darkness.

One is sure, Underworld was NOT that.

Edit: I'm almost sure I read "Swiming Controls" O_____O ... something's wrong with me...

Anyway, although I haven't played, I have seen so I guess that I would have TRIII, hey TRF admin. , you should definately include an option to chnage your votes in polls for stupid people like me who misread the title or change their mind later :p .

AmericanAssassin
20-02-12, 14:56
I'd go with TR2.

Reason: 40 Fathoms level.
This.

CiaKonwerski
20-02-12, 14:58
I voted Tomb Raider 1-It was new and different for a lot of games during that period. I still remember losing oxygen and getting extremely confused of what to do and where to go. Constantly dying haha. It was fun and one of the main reasons I would go back to replay it. Swimming around Croft Manor or diving into that little water hole in Vilcabamba.

Seth94
20-02-12, 15:23
AOD without a doubt. :)

Andes
20-02-12, 15:32
The Angel Of Darkness narrowly pips the rest, for the supremely atmospheric Research Centre / Vault Of Trophies section, and never forgetting the escape from the mind-blowing Tomb Of Ancients, a bit much after the toils with Brother Obscura, thank you very much.

The Sanctuary Of The Scion in Anniversary is a close second, though tbh they're always great, even when diabolical as in Lud's Gate, or trying to return to the Russian submarine. I still remember the delight upon merely jumping into that first pool in Vilcabamba and being able to effortlessly guide Lara through the water, with (at the time) lush graphics to match every move.

Also loved Helheim, exploring such a beautifully realised location whilst not in a blind panic for air was a nice twist.

Swim on...

KurtisLonely
20-02-12, 15:39
voted for AoD, but TR2 was my second choice.. was a difficult pick :(

King.Louie
20-02-12, 15:41
Thanks again Ward Dragon for the poll. :)

I chose Tomb Raider 2 because the swimming segments in that game were very fleshed out and i actually enjoyed the swimming. Also i loved the the different palletes of colors Core used for different levels. ex: Venice was a murky green and the Maria Doria levels had some great blues.

nick styger
20-02-12, 15:42
TR1 Vilcabamba...oh the terror and the excitement and the frustration and the trying again.......But the best underwater swim ever. Loved the different tunnels and the up and down and which way to go and the running out of air...very tricky in the beginning. But then I just love TR1 anyway.

Spong
20-02-12, 15:46
Glad to see TR1 procuring a few more votes. While the swimming was the same in terms of control for all the classics, it's levels like The Cistern or sections like the statue room beneath the sphinx in Sanctuary of the Scion that capture my heart :tmb:

sheepman23
20-02-12, 16:17
Hmm... I think I have two separate opinions on this.

If we're going by how fun swimming is, then AoD probably wins. The control mechanics suck for AoD in general, but they got swimming 100% correct. And the underwater environments are very detailed, too. The Vault of Trophies comes to mind here, as well as the brilliant Neptune's Hall. :D

On the other hand, in terms of memorability, TR2 wins. I speak mostly from the Maria Doria sections; the countless underwater sequences are so claustrophobic and really creepy - the beginning of 40 Fathoms is ace. :tmb: The sharks really help that matter, too, it's just so daunting when you know that they're right behind you. :eek: Swimming doesn't control as well in the classics, but there are quite a few undeniably great underwater moments.

As a side note, The Lost Artifact has one incredible underwater level - Sleeping With the Fishes. That is the ULTIMATE underwater experience, IMO. :tmb:

EscondeR
20-02-12, 16:31
TR3 and LA.
I'm judging by difficulty and challenge, not only atmosphere BTW.

tomee
20-02-12, 16:32
Underworld for me.

It actually had some nice puzzles. And you could explore a really big area.
The anims sucked though. :pi:

larafan25
20-02-12, 16:33
Underworld by a landslide.

sheepman23
20-02-12, 16:34
TR3 and LA.
I'm judging by difficulty and challenge, not only atmosphere BTW.

True... TR3 does have some difficult swimming bits.

*thinks back to Lud's Gate and RX Tech Mines* :eek:

tomee
20-02-12, 16:48
*thinks back to Lud's Gate and RX Tech Mines* :eek:

RX tech mines

It doesn't occur to me. :confused:

Unless you mean the swimming sequence near the end. That was quite tricky, but because you gotta figure out the order of the tracks first. :p

Mikky
20-02-12, 16:52
Ah great, another "What's your favorite TR?" thread. Awesome. :D

I really didn't know which to choose, so I just chose Underworld since that has those nice, extended underwater sections with infinite breath.

LaraCablara
20-02-12, 18:02
Who seriously voted for Tomb Raider 3 :p.

I play all the games fairly from beginning to end, but for Tomb Raider 3 I always level skip when I get up to Luds Gate. The water section is garbage.

Kelly Craftman
20-02-12, 18:05
AoD, that level in the sewers :eek: I thought I was a gonna.

Alpharaider47
20-02-12, 18:07
Underworld's more fleshed out swimming sections were pretty nice in my opinion. Nice atmosphere, a little action here and there, some interesting underwater puzzles and fetching to-dos. Animations weren't the greatest, but I can overlook that due to atmosphere and practicality of swimming in the game.

EscondeR
20-02-12, 18:22
I play all the games fairly from beginning to end, but for Tomb Raider 3 I always level skip when I get up to Luds Gate. The water section is garbage.

Not all already :p

Hmpf... TR3 is srs bsns! :ohn:

nick styger
20-02-12, 18:23
TR1 :yah:

My feelings exactely

Oh and I forgot to say about TR1 the Mosaic pools patterns are unforgettable

peeves
20-02-12, 18:25
Boo frickity hoo! Underworld is beating TR3! :mad: :hea:

TheRCroft
20-02-12, 18:27
Tomb Raider Underworld.

Legend of Lara
20-02-12, 18:32
Legend because I'm trolly and don't really remember any of the other ones.

Except for Trunderworld, but that was the worst game. :'(

Ora Dagger
20-02-12, 18:39
AOD. The part with the swim suit and the big statues.

EscondeR
20-02-12, 19:01
* 3 spam posts removed.

Mikky, peeves, keep it at least civilized :mis:

xXhayleyroxXx
20-02-12, 19:02
Underworld.

Your_Envy*
20-02-12, 19:03
AOD. The part with the swim suit and the big statues.

I agree. My second choice would be TR2. :D Underworld's camera just sucks and it ruined everything for me. :pi:

nick styger
20-02-12, 19:03
Can I protest the removal of posts. I wanted to show my wife this thread. I thought they were very good natured and funny and not in the least offensive. At least to me.

peeves
20-02-12, 19:08
Yes to TR6 NO to TRU.

EscondeR
20-02-12, 19:10
Peeves, you have already voted... and voiced your POV. Thank you.

SkyPuppy
20-02-12, 19:12
Legend. :)

Laras Boyfr.
20-02-12, 19:21
Why do we need even a poll for this? Even me as an hardcore AOD fan cant deny that TR2 has the best swimming environments :o

larafan25
20-02-12, 19:23
Why do we need even a poll for this? Even me as an hardcore AOD fan cant deny that TR2 has the best swimming environments :o

Because everyone has different opinions and it's not just about environments.

peeves
20-02-12, 19:24

Well as a TR6 fan i chose TR3 but TR4, and TR5, and TR6 were good too. TR1 and 2 were ok.

Linoshi Croft
20-02-12, 19:26
AOD.

Underworld sucked ass, so I don't get why people liked them ;_; There was too much of the boring deep sea diving and not enough general swimming IMO.

larafan25
20-02-12, 19:29
AOD.

Underworld sucked ass, so I don't get why people liked them ;_; There was too much of the boring deep sea diving and not enough general swimming IMO.

I personally liked it because...

A. The puzzles were cool to do underwater, especially in the Arctic Sea

B. The environments were nice a big, lots to explore, and nice looking IMO

C. The traversal in and out of water in those air pockets within the tower in the Arctic Sea was nice and very atmospheric IMO.

I also felt the swimming controls were pretty good, and I liked that you could move up or down using the camera direction.

peeves
20-02-12, 19:31
I personally liked it because...

A. The puzzles were cool to do underwater, especially in the Arctic Sea

B. The environments were nice a big, lots to explore, and nice looking IMO

C. The traversal in and out of water in those air pockets within the tower in the Arctic Sea was nice and very atmospheric IMO.

I also felt the swimming controls were pretty good, and I liked that you could move up or down using the camera direction.

The controls in underworld sucked whether it was on ground or underwater.

Vinkula
20-02-12, 19:32
^ This isn't about controls, peeves.
--

Now I'd love to change my vote for Underworld too D: Agh.

Linoshi Croft
20-02-12, 19:33
I prefer areas where I have a mixture of land and water instead of been thrown in the water for a long section of time...gets boring quickly.

lord gaga
AOD had the best swimming control but not much swimming areas! Thats why i voted for Tr2. The deck=sex

larafan25
The controls in underworld sucked whether it was on ground or underwater.

I felt the controls were fine, however I was playing with a comfy controller on PS3, keyboard and mouse guys probably had a tough time.

Of course I'd say that AOD's controls sucked, however they weren't half bad on PC.

BrandonFlowers
20-02-12, 19:35
AOD.

I thought TR2 and AOD had too much general swimming :p I loved the deep sea bits in Underworld, hunting for treasures in the Med was amazing for me, but I am a bit of a weirdo :p

XianWarrior
20-02-12, 19:35
I voted Tomb Raider II, as although most of the swimming sections in TR I were beautifully done (the Vilicabamba pool, Tomb of Tihocan tunnels and the Sanctuary of the Scion cavern just to name a few) they can't beat the feeling of swimming in the deep ocean with a killer Shark on your behind, or with any enraged exotic marine wildlife hunting you down (Barracudas, Catfish, harpoon divers etc. :D
Thinking of swimming in TR III either reminds me of freezing to death in Antarctica, drowning in Madubu Gorge or getting frustrated in Lud's Gate, so that one is out for me... Tomb Raiders IV and V I don't really associate with water so can't think all that much although I may be missing some good parts. :o

Avalon SARL
20-02-12, 19:36
I wanted to vote for TR2 but TRU had my final decision

TheRCroft
20-02-12, 19:36
I loved the deep sea bits in Underworld, hunting for treasures in the Med was amazing for me, but I am a bit of a weirdo :p

Then that makes us two weirdos, because I loved that too :p

Linoshi Croft
20-02-12, 19:37
I thought TR2 and AOD had too much general swimming :p I loved the deep sea bits in Underworld, hunting for treasures in the Med was amazing for me, but I am a bit of a weirdo :p

First time yes. Replays...not so much. Just annoyed me more than anything.

jarekhanzelka
20-02-12, 19:38
TR III, for the same reason EscondeR's already pointed out.

leglion
20-02-12, 19:43
AOD.

But, but, but... That is swimming. Plus you only really dived until you reached the sea bottom. That's where the combat, exploration, and puzzle solving began.

sheepman23
20-02-12, 20:39
I cannot fathom how Underworld is getting so many votes. Sure, some of the areas are impressive, like at the beginning of Helheim, but once the graphical appeal wears away it's just a lot of boring swimming.

Unless you mean the swimming sequence near the end. That was quite tricky, but because you gotta figure out the order of the tracks first. :p

Yup, that's it. Still gives me nightmares to this day. :p A good challenge, though.

Anyway, I stick by my opinion that Sleeping With the Fishes is the best underwater TR level ever. :tmb: (Except its game isn't even in this poll :pi:)

BrandonFlowers
20-02-12, 20:40
Then that makes us two weirdos, because I loved that too :p

:hug:

First time yes. Replays...not so much. Just annoyed me more than anything.

I still enjoyed it, I made up imaginary stories :p

Vinkula
20-02-12, 20:46
I still enjoyed it, I made up imaginary stories :p

That does scare me :pi:

BrandonFlowers
20-02-12, 20:47
That does scare me :pi:

No its all very fun. Sometimes Lara has lost a contact lense, so she has to re-trace her steps :D

(i'll stop now)

Weemanply109
20-02-12, 20:50
Underworld.

Phlip
20-02-12, 20:55
While the swimming was the same in terms of control for all the classics

And AoD.

Though the controls are **** in TR1 for swimming since if you're a certain length from an item on the floor, you have a choice of a tiny swim forward by a few inches or a whole swimming animation. Thankfully in TR2-6 they allowd her to stop mid-animation.

sheepman23
20-02-12, 21:05
Though the controls are **** in TR1 for swimming since if you're a certain length from an item on the floor, you have a choice of a tiny swim forward by a few inches or a whole swimming animation. Thankfully in TR2-6 they allowd her to stop mid-animation.

Ugh, that's dreadfully annoying, I agree. I forgot about it until you said something...

Seth94
20-02-12, 21:10
I'm kind of surprised how TR2 is in front. :) I mean, there are only really the Maria Doria levels that provided a great amount of swimming, and seeing as though the animations and 'style' is the same as TR3, I don't see how it stands out so much. :confused:

sheepman23
20-02-12, 21:16
I'm kind of surprised how TR2 is in front. :) I mean, there are only really the Maria Doria levels that provided a great amount of swimming, and seeing as though the animations and 'style' is the same as TR3, I don't see how it stands out so much. :confused:

Yeah, but what swimming parts of TR3 (or any of the other classics, for that matter, disregarding Sleeping With the Fishes... which the majority of the forum has not played :() are as memorable as the Maria Doria levels, which had shivers going down our backs while we were being chased through deep, dark waters by great white sharks? I think that's the reason behind a lot of the votes for TR2, and it makes sense. :D

OK, there's Lud's Gate, but that's not memorable in a good way... :pi: :p

Seth94
20-02-12, 21:19
^ Yeah but after a few replays those sharks are just 'another enemy' in the game. :p Still, the atmosphere I agree is great in those levels, but does that necessarily mean the swimming parts are good? :)

sheepman23
20-02-12, 21:23
^ Yeah but after a few replays those sharks are just 'another enemy' in the game. :p Still, the atmosphere I agree is great in those levels, but does that mean the swimming parts are good? :)

Well, atmosphere contributes tremendously to gameplay in my eyes, so yeah. I mean, it wouldn't have been as memorable if it was all bright and sunny, and little schools of fish were swimming by happily... instead, we got a dark sea bottom, huge sharks, giant eels, and an old rusty ship... :D

Seth94
20-02-12, 21:36
Well, atmosphere contributes tremendously to gameplay in my eyes, so yeah. I mean, it wouldn't have been as memorable if it was all bright and sunny, and little schools of fish were swimming by happily... instead, we got a dark sea bottom, huge sharks, giant eels, and an old rusty ship... :D

Yeah, I suppose you're right. Still think AOD has better swimming sections though. :D

King.Louie
20-02-12, 22:02
I would of picked Underworld but i didn't find the swimming fun. She had an oxygen tank on in 95% of the game. There was no panic that she was ever going to run out of breath.

Giraffe3
20-02-12, 22:09
This one is tough...I think its either 2 or AOD. I will have to go with AOD because there were tasks in the water to accomplish, especially in the "Aquatic Research Area." It was a race against that mutant, not just sharks that if you were stupid enough to get close to, would take some damage from you opposed to one bite, your dead!:p

Seth94
20-02-12, 22:10
I take it the underwater maze is the reason for no TR4 votes. :p

sheepman23
20-02-12, 22:12
I would of picked Underworld but i didn't find the swimming fun. She had an oxygen tank on in 95% of the game. There was no panic that she was ever going to run out of breath.

Exactly. Swimming in Underworld wasn't swimming, it was deep sea diving... :p

I take it the underwater maze is the reason for no TR4 votes. :p

I swear, I'm the only one who actually liked that maze... :vlol:

Atleast I could see where I was going. *cough* Lud's Gate *cough* :pi:

Sir Croft
20-02-12, 22:14
TR3. i

Seth94
20-02-12, 22:14
I swear, I'm the only one who actually liked that maze... :vlol:

Atleast I could see where I was going. *cough* Lud's Gate *cough* :pi:

I loved the underwater maze as well. It provided a great challenge, and I didn't find it too frustrating at all. :D

And like you said, the rooms were light enough to see where you were going. :tmb:

Light a Flare
20-02-12, 22:16
Minus marks for TR3 due to the currents in India. I would have liked to go swimming there :p

Draco
20-02-12, 22:30
TR2, that part of the game actually evoked an emotional response.

t-raider26
20-02-12, 22:32
Chronicles. That stupid robot suit was the WORST. I would have said AoD, but there was that unlimited breath glitch so that made up for the crappy controls.

sheepman23
20-02-12, 22:34
Chronicles. That stupid robot suit was the WORST. I would have said AoD, but there was that unlimited breath glitch so that made up for the crappy controls.

This is a poll for the best swimming segments, not the worst... :p

Although I agree, Chronicles is probably the worst when it comes to swimming. Or maybe Legend.

t-raider26
20-02-12, 22:35
Oh my god, I definitely read the title wrong. :pi:

peeves
20-02-12, 22:36
This is a poll for the best swimming segments, not the worst... :p

Although I agree, Chronicles is probably the worst when it comes to swimming. Or maybe Legend.

No the worst for me is legend and underworld.

sheepman23
20-02-12, 22:43
^ Legend and Underworld pretty much take "worst of" in every category for you, doesn't it? :p

Oh my god, I definitely read the title wrong. :pi:

No worries. :vlol:

peeves
20-02-12, 22:46
^ Legend and Underworld pretty much take "worst of" in every category for you, doesn't it? :p

No worries. :vlol:

Yes.

TheBigCobra100
21-02-12, 00:25
I can understand why people might vote for TR2 as it had a part dedicated to being underwater, the Wetsuit and it was one of the 5 Classics.

I loved the TR2 underwater levels (still do) but I voted for TR3 as I think it is more challnging and there were different types of water (rapids, waterfalls etc).

sierra xb
21-02-12, 05:11
i haven't played TR 1-6 yet so i have no way to judge them, but from the rest i picked Underworld simply because i loved the environments

jarekhanzelka
21-02-12, 15:12
Underworld's swimming parts get more love than TRIII? That's just heartbreaking...

TippingWater
21-02-12, 15:41
Tomb Raider 2 (Dagger of Xian) obviously :p .

patriots88888
21-02-12, 15:52
IDK, can't decide... I enjoyed all the swimming segments in the TR games. I always find them to be the one of the best parts of the games. All I can say with any certainty is that The Last Revelation had the most challenging swimming segment (I'm referring specifically to the Underneath The Sphinx level).

strawberry22
21-02-12, 17:43
I couldn't decide between TR2 or TR6. But the sea levels of TR2 were my favourite, and Lara is just.....*drools* :p So yeah, TR2 it is fer meh. I do love the swimming sections of TR6 though :o

herothing
21-02-12, 17:47
TR2 - 40 Fathoms is unstoppable! :)

Lara Croft!
21-02-12, 23:45
TR2. Just delete all other options.

Rai
22-02-12, 00:55
I don't know. What do I base it on? Difficulty? Length? Locations? They're all so different :p.

leglion
22-02-12, 01:02
I don't know. What do I base it on? Difficulty? Length? Locations? They're all so different :p.

I based mine on fun. :p That's what makes a good game right?

sheepman23
22-02-12, 01:18

Good point. There are really a lot of different interpretations one could have for "best" swimming segments...

If I'm going by how fun swimming is in general, then AoD.
If I'm going by how memorable the swimming segments were, then TR2.
If I'm going by how challenging they were, then TR3.
If I'm going by how expansive the underwater environments are, then TRU.