PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Can we have a "like" button?

KC Mraz
23-02-12, 02:14
That, essentially. It does exist for the software we use, before someone asks. There's a free and paid version, actually (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=243510).

I know, I know, "this is not Facebook" but there are a lot of posts that I find funny or that I agree with, but I don't want to reply with only "lol" or "this is true" because that looks, well, lazy. I feel a like button would solve this, and I've read this idea around here before so I know I'm not the only one. I don't mean a reputation system, or 'thumbs up' and 'thumbs down' buttons, just "like".

So, can we? Please, Justin?

Shark_Blade
23-02-12, 02:16
No, this is not Facebook.

leglion
23-02-12, 02:16
Too much drama and bias.

Stevo505
23-02-12, 02:19
I'd be fine with that as long as it doesn't come with a rep system. We don't need that kind of trouble here.

Mikky
23-02-12, 02:20
I always thought about this and would love it, but I didn't actually think it would be possible with this forum, but looking at that link, it looks like it's very possible, so... Hell, yeah! :D

But no "dislike" button, because that could end up with people abusing it and it wouldn't be very nice if people kept disliking someone's posts, tbh. :/

KC Mraz
23-02-12, 02:21
I'd be fine with that as long as it doesn't come with a rep system.

Of course, I wouldn't like a reputation system either. Only one button: "Like", nothing else.

larafan25
NO.

This is Tomb Raider Forums not Silent Hill!!1! :mad:

On a more serious note, why the hell not?

Chocola teapot
I guarantee that people would go out of their way to dislike/ not like a person's posts, regardless of content, as a means of getting at them.

A new breed of cliques could be formed by abuse of the ranking system.

Of course, I wouldn't like a reputation system either. Only one button: "Like", nothing else.

Unless ofcourse it was... as simple as this, people wouldn't have to sift through crap to find the good stuff. :p

remote91
23-02-12, 02:22
The forum could definitely do with having some new features to keep it fresh.

sheepman23
23-02-12, 02:23
NO.

... And this is one of those posts that I would "like." :p

I think it would be good, actually. It would save us the trouble of making a whole new post just to say that we agree with a post... just as long as it doesn't turn into a rep system, then it's fine IMO. :tmb:

Giraffe3
23-02-12, 02:36
I would be twice as scared to voice my opinion. Besides, it would promote spam and I think this forum doesn't need any more of that. :rolleyes:

Gracious Days
23-02-12, 02:41
I would be twice as scared to voice my opinion. Besides, it would promote spam and I think this forum doesn't need any more of that. :rolleyes:

Wouldn't it do the opposite? Less posting for the sole sake of agreeing and not really adding anything to the discussion.

I like the idea of a 'Like" button. :p

larafan25
23-02-12, 02:41

It would decrease the amount of simple responses such as

"lol"

":vlol:"

"this"

"this"

TRexbait
23-02-12, 02:43

"lol"

"this"

"this"
This... basically.

I've seen situations where a simple "like" or "+1" button could work. Just as long as no "dislike" or "-1" button comes along with it.

Giraffe3
23-02-12, 02:46

"lol"

"this"

"this"

I meant like anyone could just "dislike" anything for no reason and get away with it. I didn't really mean spam.

tomblover
23-02-12, 02:49
I just knew the first reply would be what it is. :vlol:

Honestly though, I find myself wanting a feature like this more and more as the days go by. :p

EmeraldFields
23-02-12, 03:00
We still haven't gotten the forum update we were supposed to get six months ago, what makes you think we could get something like this? :vlol:

remote91
23-02-12, 03:02
Just a simple button to put a youtube link in and have an automatic video come up would make me happy..

Killercowz
23-02-12, 03:39
We still haven't gotten the forum update we were supposed to get six months ago, what makes you think we could get something like this? :vlol:

There, I just liked the comment. :p

Quasimodo
23-02-12, 04:29

The forum update will be unlocked at the precise moment Crystal reveals the identity of Lara's new VA*.

*soon.

MyRaider4Life
23-02-12, 04:45
How about a no. n.n

Ceamonks890
23-02-12, 04:47
No thanks. Leave that feature on Facebook and YouTube. We don't need that kind of stuff here.

b.gluch
23-02-12, 05:27

*Likes* :tmb:
---

i agree, its a great idea, there wouldnt be anymore posts like ''+1'', ''this'' or ''lol''... not that they r much of a probleme imo. but i guess it can be annoying sometimes... even i do it. but yeah... no rep system with it please if it ever happens :p

Spong
23-02-12, 07:27
What's in a word? Quite a lot it would seem. I'm a member of a couple of forums where this feature is used, but they don't use the word 'like' when you hit that button at the bottom of someone's post. They use the word 'thanks' instead, which I think would be much more apt.

Not that it really matters, it's hardly a feature I find myself cursing over because TRF doesn't have it.

Lukass
23-02-12, 07:49
There has been opened thread about this some time ago and there's still no "Like" button, so I think it won't happen now.

tlr online
23-02-12, 07:57

I'm open to suggestions.

robm_2007
23-02-12, 08:01
That really would not make people flock here, nor convince the current members to stay :pi:

"lol"

"this"

"this"

Actually, that would be a good reason to have it...
Just as long as no "dislike" or "-1" button comes along with it.

Why not? Are we so sensitive, that we can't handle people disliking our posts? It's not like if I posted something, and I have more "Dislike" points than "Like" points, that it is any less valid because of it.

I mean, I know if it was anonymous, people who dont like you so much might go out of their way to dislike everything that you (general) wrote; the same with your friends blindly "liking" something that you have said.

Come to think of it, it would be stupid to have either and I really dont think this place needs more drama, Just think of all the bitching people would do when they declare that they are not liked enough on the forum, because no is giving them positive attention with the new system. The same with friends lists, I doubt that anyone who has more than 30 people on their lists regulary talks to half of them (myself included). And post counts, people dont really use those to make themselves look cool anymore, but we dont need more popularity contests in this place.

EscondeR
23-02-12, 09:18
No. We have enough spam crap already.

Spong
23-02-12, 10:21
I'm open to suggestions.

Sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads. Or a forum update. Whichever is easier for you really.

*waits for sharks to appear*

:p

EscondeR
23-02-12, 10:28
:vlol:

Scorpio1991
23-02-12, 10:32
Goodbye ban hammer, hello sharks with lazers :p

TRULuverzz
23-02-12, 10:36
Uh... No thankyou :)

Sir Croft
23-02-12, 10:39
Sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads. Or a forum update. Whichever is easier for you really.

*waits for sharks to appear*

That's gold! :vlol:

I still suggest the spoiler tags that actually hide the content between them. I remember I suggested it back when the Game Informer teaser showed up. :pi:

moodydog
23-02-12, 10:49
I have an idea, why don't we migrate the whole forums to Facebook. :whi:

EscondeR
23-02-12, 10:52
Why don't we migrate all spam and social net crap lovers to Facebook :mis:

TRULuverzz
23-02-12, 10:55
Why don't we send Facebook to oblivion :rolleyes:

moodydog
23-02-12, 10:55
Why don't we migrate all spam and social net crap lovers to Facebook :mis:

Because then Tomb Raider Forums will actually become functional again. :mis:

Spong
23-02-12, 10:58
I still suggest the spoiler tags that actually hide the content between them. I remember I suggested it back when the Game Informer teaser showed up. :pi:

Good call :tmb:
Some proper spoiler tags would be excellent, the white text thing is such a cheap workaround.

klona
23-02-12, 11:08
Thumbs up and down are better IMO. :p

Avalon SARL
23-02-12, 11:20
What?
Well, I guess many will just stop replying and just press like; and then we will have others demanding for a DISLIKE button

cezy rockeru
23-02-12, 11:22
yes, we can.

no, we don't want.

sheepman23
23-02-12, 11:35
I'm not really understanding those who say it would add to the spamming: wouldn't it do the opposite? :confused:

Posts like: "LOL" and "this" and ":vlol:" and "exactly" and ":tmb:" would be eliminated. It would reduce a lot of the spam, which I would like. :)

EscondeR
23-02-12, 11:42
Posts like: "LOL" and "this" and ":vlol:" and "exactly" and ":tmb:" would be eliminated.

Do you really believe? 0.o

sheepman23
23-02-12, 11:44

Well, I certainly wouldn't be making any more posts like that if I could just "like" it instead. Saves me the trouble of having to make a new post. :p

I don't know if that applies to everyone else, of course, but I would take advantage of it.

Lukass
23-02-12, 12:10

I do.

tomblover
23-02-12, 12:45

As do I. :p

In any case, a "like" button would hardly contribute to the so-called "amounts" of spam on this board. It's just a number at the bottom of a post -- what's the big deal? :vlol:

EscondeR
23-02-12, 14:08
It's just totally dumb.

ultima espio
23-02-12, 14:16
It's just totally dumb.

You don't like it because it will cut down some spam, then you won't get the joys of going through posts and editing them:ton:

Lukass
23-02-12, 14:47
You don't like it because it will cut down some spam, then you won't get the joys of going through posts and editing them:ton:

:vlol: I was about to say that...

ajrich17901
23-02-12, 14:47
We should have a suggestions thread for the forum, it really could do with some new features and an optional layout that isn't so plain. :pi:

Legend of Lara
23-02-12, 15:09
an optional layout that isn't so plain. :pi:

We've had those. They all went away eventually. I remember most vividly a "blue pearl" theme and an Xbox 360 theme. The latter had some... mixed reception.

Seth94
23-02-12, 15:30
Simple answer: No. :)

tomblover
23-02-12, 15:33
It's just totally dumb. What a solid and logical argument for not including a feature like this. :tmb:

NRO.
23-02-12, 15:40
It will turn into an asskissing contest very fast. ._.

tomee
23-02-12, 15:45
Why? It definitely wouldn't increase them.
I guess it's true though. Maybe it's better to stay like this.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
23-02-12, 16:02
I already know everyone likes my posts. There's no reason to rub it in... :p

tomblover
23-02-12, 16:03
It will turn into an asskissing contest very fast. ._. As if TRF wasn't this already. :p I mean, really? :vlol:

ShadyCroft
23-02-12, 16:03
No

[/thread]

NRO.
23-02-12, 16:06
As if TRF wasn't this already. :p I mean, really? :vlol:

It is, but it's invisible. It will be more visible with this system and people will ragequit because they aren't popular.

Carbon
23-02-12, 16:07
Instead of a 'Like' button… I think it would favour us more if we had a Kudos button. IMO.

Because i'm kind of sick of people joining here just to hang around the Open Chat thread… I mean, is the word Tomb Raider still bloody noticeable? GTF! :')

ultima espio
23-02-12, 16:10
Instead of a 'Like' button… I think it would favour us more if we had a Kudos button. IMO.

Wouldn't that be exactly the same, only using a different word?:o

tomblover
23-02-12, 16:10
It is, but it's invisible. It will be more visible with this system and people will ragequit because they aren't popular. I guess so, but y'know... perhaps you (as in, people in general) should stay off the internet if you have issues with not being "the cool kid" around. :p

I don't think its name would mattter, to be honest... :p It's basically conveying a sense of agreement either way, so yeah. :vlol:

trfanX34
23-02-12, 16:11
I don't want to see TRF full of "Thumbs up if..." posts :I

Carbon
23-02-12, 16:11
Kudos = You Agree

Like = You like

Two different things where i'm from :wve:

tomblover
23-02-12, 16:19
I don't want to see TRF full of "Thumbs up if..." posts :I Just ban those like you would ban anything else on this forum. :p

Kudos = You Agree

Like = You like

Two different things where i'm from :wve:

Same for where I'm from, but "liking" something usually means that you agree with it. ;) In fact, a "like" button would be more flexible since it means different things to different people. :p

EmeraldFields
23-02-12, 16:26
IMO, the only features which I think would be useful would be buttons for YouTube videos and spoilers, especially since were going to be getting a lot of new information regarding the new game in the coming months.

SkyPuppy
23-02-12, 16:37

this.

Carbon
23-02-12, 16:37
IMO, the only features which I think would be useful would be buttons for YouTube videos and spoilers, especially since were going to be getting a lot of new information regarding the new game in the coming months.

"Like" :p

ultima espio
23-02-12, 16:38

Thumbs up if this doesn't bother you

3:tmb:

Dark Lugia 2
23-02-12, 16:46
As much as I love Facebook, something like this can cause uneeded drama. You'll just get every friend of said member liking their posts all the time.

Sir Croft
23-02-12, 16:48
I do!

Quote this post if you agree!

Weemanply109
23-02-12, 17:03
I do!

Quote this post if you agree!

:vlol:

I know forums that make use of this feature, it's really good. ;)

Kelly Craftman
23-02-12, 17:05
Is it not already? :confused:

Yes. *like*

Carbon
23-02-12, 17:14
But really, I think an update is in order first, after all it's July 2011… wait.

tomblover
23-02-12, 17:16
You'll just get every friend of said member liking their posts all the time. As if you wouldn't get your friends to comment on your post, anyway. :p

I do agree with the spoiler tag idea, and the quick button for YouTube videos. :tmb:

strawberry22
23-02-12, 17:44

Pretty much this. Sorry EscondeR, but this all the way :pi:

Anyway, I would like a 'like' button for TRF. The forum does need something to spice itself up :jmp: and as addictive as the forums is, it can sometimes be, how can I put this 'boring'? I still don't think it will make any difference to the spam though. Spam is something that comes back over and over. I would expect that people would still be reply to messages with "+1" "this" "LOLZ" and ":vlol:"

EscondeR
23-02-12, 18:05
Sorry EscondeR, but this all the way :pi:

Like if I gave a damn... 0.o

strawberry22
23-02-12, 18:56
Like if I gave a damn... 0.o

Whatevah :ohn: Like....I can just see you crying in your chair right now all like "ZOMG NOBODY LIKES ME LOLZ!!!!11111one11!!!!!!!!!" :ohn: Just kidding

EscondeR
23-02-12, 19:14
As I've said: "Like if I cared a tiny bit..."

tomblover
23-02-12, 19:20
Mind the white text, Mr. All-Seeing-Eye. :p

Admles
23-02-12, 19:30
Eh, a like button is a waste of time / space.

I'd rather see the time between searches reduced instead of a like button.

patriots88888
23-02-12, 20:36
Meh, I don't really care either way. I can see pros and cons for both having and not having it.

Because i'm kind of sick of people joining here just to hang around the Open Chat thread… I mean, is the word Tomb Raider still bloody noticeable? GTF! :')

What's wrong? Aren't you getting enough action in the TR sections? :tea:
TRF is so much more than just Tomb Raider. -_-

benjamin_2010
23-02-12, 20:52

Meeeee freakingggg tooooo

But I'd really like a "like" button :)

sheepman23
23-02-12, 20:53

That's probably the only downside I could see of it. Of course, there's already a lot of that, so it's not like it'll be totally different. :p

KC Mraz
23-02-12, 21:01

I have an even better idea: both!

sTDqc6FylNc

:}hello friend
23-02-12, 21:26
I go to forums that have "Like" buttons. They're really cool, and I don't see anything wrong with them.

Paddy
23-02-12, 21:34

Much prefer that idea to a 'like' button.

voltz
23-02-12, 21:39
Much prefer that idea to a 'like' button.

Much like stroking someone's e-pen if I'm not mistaken?

Paddy
23-02-12, 21:40
I just hate the 60 second wait between searches, I don't see a like button being any better for the forum, if anything it could add to an already drama friendly place. lol

musicmaestro10
23-02-12, 21:55
I've had a meriad of dislikes on Youtube. It is hurtful and pointless and noone realizes how nasty it is when they press it. A post lacking likes could be the same. NO!!!

patriots88888
23-02-12, 22:05
I've had a meriad of dislikes on Youtube. It is hurtful and pointless and noone realizes how nasty it is when they press it. A post lacking likes could be the same. NO!!!

I believe the fundamental problem with having such a feature is the lack of reason(s) why posts were liked or not. A forum's greatest asset is communication between its members and I don't see a simple like button helping any in that department.

Paddy
23-02-12, 22:09

People have disliked uploads of mine as well, I don't really care a great deal that they do but I think to dislike because its not something you agree with is a bit silly. You can like the video whilst disagreeing with an opinion.

musicmaestro10
23-02-12, 22:38
I didn't mind until I was systematically disliked on a virtual duplicate of the same video.

Love2Raid
23-02-12, 22:46
I think a like/dislike system wouldn't add much else than drama to a forum such as this one, so no.

Someone mentioned spoiler tags. Very good. I saw that they have 'spoiler buttons' at Eidos Forums now, they really work well. I don't understand why we can't have the same on TRF. It's quite important in my opinion and the 'white text' method of hiding text does not suffice. You can still read it and way too often do people quote it... >_>

Encore
23-02-12, 23:29
I don't see the use for this kind of function on a basic forum.

The likes and dislikes are more of a way to express your opinion on something that doesn't really require any more participation that that. If you see a nice picture of someone's dog, you don't really need to comment "Hey, what a cute dog". You can just push that like button and be done with it.

But the forum is supposed to be more than just.... well.... posting stuff. You post opinions. And if you see someone else's opinion and you disagree or agree with it, the best you can do is to actually WRITE something about it. That's the whole point.

Now... I'm aware that a LOT of people are starting to lose track of this. Many threads in this forum have become little more than "walls". People just post stuff. And there's little to no interaction. I'm guessing the reason someone wants a "like" function is because this is the kind of forum they want to be in. A place where people post stuff, with no more conversation beyond "That's cool" or "That's not cool".

Unfortunately this type of thread was allowed to flourish so there's not much we can do about it at this point. But introducing a "like" function would be like saying "yeah, that's the kind of forum we want here". I wouldn't be happy about it.

EscondeR
24-02-12, 05:31
^ Couldn't say better myself :tmb:

skylark1121
24-02-12, 05:32
NO.

Ummm... Contradictions? :vlol:

To be honest, no. I wouldn't care for one. :)