PDA

View Full Version : Most clever puzzle in the series?

leglion
24-02-12, 01:58
What puzzles do you think were the most clever in the series? One that made you step back and think "wow, why didn't i think of that before?"

For me, Anniversary takes the cake for this one. With the Raft puzzle, Rotating obelisk puzzle, and me considering the centaurs to be a puzzle in a way, the centaurs.

Encore
24-02-12, 02:03
Anniversary????! Seriously??!?

http://i.imgur.com/zJQTMs.jpg

Nenya awakens
24-02-12, 02:04
Lol, Anniversary's puzzles are lame.

Mikky
24-02-12, 02:05
The puzzles in GoL and especially the DLC are just... wow. I can't pick a specific one, but seriously, they're great, smart and very challenging.

The puzzles in the CD trilogy, I have to admit, weren't challenging at all. I hardly ever got stuck on one and they didn't require much thought. :/ But I think the puzzles in GoL certainly made up for that. :D

larafan25
24-02-12, 02:05

http://i.imgur.com/zJQTMs.jpg

Got better? Share.

I'll say GOL plus elements from TR4, but GOL was awesome. CO-OP though.

leglion
24-02-12, 02:06

Because key and lever puzzles are better. :whi: I choose anniversary because it has a good variety of puzzles and they truly had me stumped for a while(the one's i mentioned specifically)

VUga5YrQGuI&feature=related

VofX0YDKgag&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLE7A897B9ADD7DA09

Encore
24-02-12, 02:09
Got better? Share.

I'll say GOL plus elements from TR4, but GOL was awesome. CO-OP though.

Yeah, I have.

All the puzzles in Tomb Raiders 1 to 5.

Unless we're judging fun and not actual challenge? Is that it?

Gamd1011
24-02-12, 02:10
Basically all the puzzles in tr4 :p

Mostly because new mechanics were introduced, like combining items. And it just confused the hell out of me.

larafan25
24-02-12, 02:10
^I think I remember being stuck because of the tiny bit of math involved in TR4, knowing how much to fill certain objects with.

Yeah, I have.

"Most clever puzzle"

But you could be more specific than all the puzzles in TR 1 to 5.

leglion
24-02-12, 02:14
Yeah, I have.

No, we're judging how clever it was. While the cleverness of the puzzle does play in to it's difficulty, it's a different thing all together.

Encore
24-02-12, 02:15
"Most clever puzzle"

But you could be more specific than all the puzzles in TR 1 to 5.

Okay, smart ass.

My personal favorite puzzle was the Masonic Temple in Aldwych.

Legend of Lara
24-02-12, 02:16
I loved that one puzzle in Legend.

Y'know, that one where you have to roll this ball onto this pressure plate and then roll another ball onto another pressure plate and then roll another ball onto another pressure plate and then you have to watch a whole cutscene! :O

leglion
24-02-12, 02:17

Y'know, that one where you have to roll this ball onto this pressure plate and then roll another ball onto another pressure plate and then roll another ball onto another pressure plate and then you have to watch a whole cutscene! :O

Which one was that? :confused:

Okay, smart ass.

Somebody's having a bad day. Go eat some ice cream instead of coming onto an online forum trying to demonstrate how much of a badass you are. Really, no one here did anything to you yet for some reason You've called Larafan25 a smartass and disrespected my opinion.

sheepman23

:vlol: :vlol:

Okay, smart ass.

That puzzle used to frustrate me SO much.

Wait, it still frustrates me. :p

The water scales puzzle in Temple of Horus is probably my favorite - I love logic puzzles like that. :D The dragon tiles in Beneath the Ashes were also really cool, and the Senet puzzle was really unique.

Although I didn't list any, I must say that Anniversary did quite well with its puzzles. They weren't really challenging, but I did think they had quite a few clever ideas, especially with the rafts and the obelisks in Egypt. :)

Mikky

:vlol:!

TRexbait
24-02-12, 02:20
I actually enjoy the labyrinths in the series. Spacial reasoning is really fun for me.

Also, overall, TR4's puzzles were kind of really brilliant.

leglion
24-02-12, 02:21
:vlol: :vlol:

That puzzle used to frustrate me SO much.

Wait, it still frustrates me. :p

The water scales puzzle in Temple of Horus is probably my favorite - I love logic puzzles like that. :D The dragon tiles in Beneath the Ashes were also really cool, and the Senet puzzle was really unique.

Although I didn't list any, I must say that Anniversary did quite well with its puzzles. They weren't really challenging, but I did think they had quite a few clever ideas, especially with the rafts and the obelisks in Egypt. :)

How could i forget that? :D

t-raider26
24-02-12, 02:22
The rotating room in TR4 is one of my favourites :T

larafan25
24-02-12, 02:25
Okay, smart ass.

The room with all of the paintings and curtains?

Encore
24-02-12, 02:26

http://i.imgur.com/RQ2uQs.jpg

The1andOnlyTR
24-02-12, 02:29
In my opinion, the Opera House (TRII) was all one big puzzle. I think that one was pretty fun. I also liked the AoD puzzle with the statues underwater. :)

sheepman23
24-02-12, 02:30
Mazes are the only puzzles I cannot stand. They're boring, frustrating, and confuse the player in so many ways. One might compare it to exploration, but there's a difference between exploring places with distinctive features and exploring a maze with monotonous, indistinguishable walls.

I still cannot stand Caves of Kaliya to this day. For such an amazing game, I hate the concept of that level in all its entirety.

I think Encore is referring to the puzzle right before it, where there are a bunch of buttons that open different doors, and you have to press them in a certain sequence in order to gain access to the temple.

leglion
24-02-12, 02:30
I also think the serpent puzzle in legend deserves a mention. Once i figured out i had to shoot the bells instead of the snake i was smacking my head against the wall the whole day. Like this ---> :hea::hea::hea:

larafan25
24-02-12, 02:31
^That took me months to figure out, mainly because I would just shoot endlessly at the Serpent until I died.

Mazes are the only puzzles I cannot stand. They're boring, frustrating, and confuse the player in so many ways. One might compare it to exploration, but there's a difference between exploring places with distinctive features and exploring a maze with monotonous, indistinguishable walls.

I still cannot stand Caves of Kaliya to this day. For such an amazing game, I hate the concept of that level in all its entirety.

I think Encore is referring to the puzzle right before it, where there are a bunch of buttons that open different doors, and you have to press them in a certain sequence in order to gain access to the temple.

Oh the maaaaaazzze!

I see.

Clever indeed, the maze.

I'm pretty sure I just saved before that, said "**** it" and ran into pressing every button I saw.

Mikky
24-02-12, 02:34
^That took me months to figure out, mainly because I would just shoot endlessly at the Serpent until I died.

Months? Are you exaggerating? :p

sheepman23
24-02-12, 02:35
I'm pretty sure I just saved before that, said "**** it" and ran into pressing every button I saw.

That's what I did, too. :vlol:

In fact, that's what I still do... just when I think I've mastered the symbols on the walls and perfected the sequence, I go down the hallway and see a door closed. :cen:

:p

Oh, Aldwych... how I have such fond memories of that level. Speaking of which, Aldwych classifies as a huge puzzle of its own, and a darned good one at that. :tmb:

leglion
After a few hours i shot the bell. :p

larafan25
Months? Are you exaggerating? :p

Yeah, it took me one month.

That and the Kazakhstan boss.

I didn't play it 24 hours every day though, I got pissed and rage quite for a bit, didn't have Internet walkthroughs, which you probably used. :pi:

Sir Croft
24-02-12, 02:37

Oh, Lord, I can't! :vlol:

Anyway, it's tough to pick one puzzle, but I think the best puzzles are in TR3. I do think some puzzles in GoL were very clever too, not hard or challenging, but smart.

larafan25
24-02-12, 02:37
That's what I did, too. :vlol:

In fact, that's what I still do... just when I think I've mastered the symbols on the walls and perfected the sequence, I go down the hallway and see a door closed. :cen:

:p

I think this type of "one door opens, one closed, **** I'm stuck" puzzle works best with viewer doors and a circular area.

They did this in FFXII and I stopped playing for months because I thought it was a bug. :vlol:

Mikky
24-02-12, 02:40
Yeah, it took me one month.

That and the Kazakhstan boss.

I didn't play it 24 hours every day though, I got pissed and rage quite for a bit, didn't have Internet walkthroughs, which you probably used. :pi:

No, I didn't use a guide for the England boss or the Kazakhstan one. I mean, the England was fairly obvious considering you could aim at the bells with your weapon and the Kazakhstan one... Well, there wasn't much to it, tbh, apart from pressing a few switches and shooting balls (lol). :p

larafan25
24-02-12, 02:41
No, I didn't use a guide for the England boss or the Kazakhstan one. I mean, the England was fairly obvious considering you could aim at the bells with your weapon and the Kazakhstan one... Well, there wasn't much to it, tbh, apart from pressing a few switches and shooting balls (lol). :p

I didn't understand you had to create a forcefield to keep him out, and that first you needed to push him out of the room. THEN GRAB THE SWORD FRAGMENT. O.O

When I found that out, I was like "OMFG WTF OHFBJFWAGV!".

Good times.

ozzman
24-02-12, 03:44
TRA, the sanctuary opening puzzle and the water rooms for me , stumped me for a while

LaraDuh
24-02-12, 12:04
GoL's and TR4's

cezy rockeru
24-02-12, 12:06
The ones in TRL. They're so amazing and difficult, but I managed to do them. :hug:

Vinkula
24-02-12, 12:06
Anniversary had very nice puzzles yes. I like the puzzles in the St. Francis Folly (Poseidon is my fave) and the Egypt ones. Legend had one nice imo, the waterwheel puzzle in Ghana. The Tesla Gun was fun also. I like the Mayan Calendar puzzle in Underworld. Or the big hammer room puzzle in Jan Mayen *_*.

From classics, I like the prayer wheel puzzle (like the whole level of Barkhang Monastery). :)

patriots88888
24-02-12, 12:13
I always liked the 'See No Evil', 'Hear No Evil', 'Speak No Evil' monkeys in The Last Revelation. And how one was 'your buddy' so best not to pump him full of lead. LOL!

BrandonFlowers
24-02-12, 12:24
Anniversary had very nice puzzles yes. I like the puzzles in the St. Francis Folly (Poseidon is my fave) and the Egypt ones. Legend had one nice imo, the waterwheel puzzle in Ghana. The Tesla Gun was fun also. I like the Mayan Calendar puzzle in Underworld. Or the big hammer room puzzle in Jan Mayen *_*.

From classics, I like the prayer wheel puzzle (like the whole level of Barkhang Monastery). :)

I agree with the St. Francis Folly puzzles, I loved them. They are not overly challenging but I thought they were quite clever. I also loved the Mayan Calendar puzzle in TRU too :p

peeves
24-02-12, 13:08
Tomb Raider 4 takes the cake for best clever puzzles. Without no walkthrough on first play of TR4 it'd be really difficult to know what ta do at parts.

tomee
24-02-12, 13:23
TRA.
The cistern puzzle, erm I mean the cistern part of ToT. CD did an amazing job with it. :D

peeves
24-02-12, 13:28
TRA.
The cistern puzzle, erm I mean the cistern part of ToT. CD did an amazing job with it. :D

I didn't think that wasn't no hard puzzle compared to other ones.

sheepman23
24-02-12, 13:34

I agree. :tmb: I thought both of the raft puzzles were quite creative in TRA, despite not being too challenging to figure out.

Spong
24-02-12, 13:37
I've mentioned this before in a thread somewhere, my favourite puzzle is opening the entrance to the Sanctuary of the Scion in TR1 because it's a puzzle that spans two levels :tmb:

tomekkobialka
24-02-12, 15:31
Rotating Room in Burial Chambers, TR4, of course. :D

Seth94
24-02-12, 15:31
Pretty much all the puzzles in TR4 and AOD are amazing. :tmb:

Avalon SARL
24-02-12, 15:53
GOL was smashing...

in the normal gams, TR4 ofourse followed by tomb raider anniversary :)

the ones before tomb raider 4 did not really have puzzles especially tr1, so what we had in tra were amazing, and were alot fun to do :)

LaraDuh
24-02-12, 20:14
What was so hard about anniversary xD

leglion
24-02-12, 20:25
What was so hard about anniversary xD

We're not judging difficulty, we're judging cleverness and creativity. But I do think quite a few puzzles in anniversary were hard. They actually required me to use some logic instead of having to find a key, pressure plate, or lever.

kswoosh
24-02-12, 22:55
Because key and lever puzzles are better. :whi: I choose anniversary because it has a good variety of puzzles and they truly had me stumped for a while(the one's i mentioned specifically)

VUga5YrQGuI&feature=related

VofX0YDKgag&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLE7A897B9ADD7DA09

Watching this just makes me realise how great the graphics are in the LAU.

I've been playing TR1 and 2, and whilst I don't want to enter a gameplay over graphics debate, the graphics aren't fantastic.

For me, I actually seem to remember the Anniversary having some good tasks such as the Obelisk one mentioned. There was another one too, which I think may have been the same level, where you had to get 4 obelisk type things the same height, and hop between them. I don't remember exactly, but I seem to remember it being decent.

TR1, and 2, in my opinion has a lot of 'hunting' for things, without any real 'puzzles' so to speak. I never sat there and thought - I don't know how to work this out, because for the most part, it was just a case of finding what you needed, or where you needed to go.

The tasks in Anniversary were much more like puzzles, thus required working out. TR 1 & 2 just involved finding something, usually a key. Yes, it was difficult, but it wasn't really a case of 'working something out'.

Maybe I'm forgetting some bits, but that's how I remember it.

leglion
24-02-12, 22:57
Watching this just makes me realise how great the graphics are in the LAU.

I've been playing TR1 and 2, and whilst I don't want to enter a gameplay over graphics debate, the graphics aren't fantastic.

For me, I actually seem to remember the Anniversary having some good tasks such as the Obelisk one mentioned. There was another one too, which I think may have been the same level, where you had to get 4 obelisk type things the same height, and hop between them. I don't remember exactly, but I seem to remember it being decent.

TR1, and 2, in my opinion has a lot of 'hunting' for things, without any real 'puzzles' so to speak. I never sat there and thought - I don't know how to work this out, because for the most part, it was just a case of finding what you needed, or where you needed to go.

The tasks in Anniversary were much more like puzzles, thus required working out. TR 1 & 2 just involved finding something, usually a key. Yes, it was difficult, but it wasn't really a case of 'working something out'.

Maybe I'm forgetting some bits, but that's how I remember it.

Lol this is my opinion fleshed out.

larafan25
24-02-12, 22:57
^^I remember it the same, more exploring to find items and less standing around a puzzle thinking it out.

tomee
25-02-12, 07:08
I didn't think that wasn't no hard puzzle compared to other ones.

I was pretty sure.

I agree. :tmb: I thought both of the raft puzzles were quite creative in TRA, despite not being too challenging to figure out.

I must've been a noob. It took me quite a lot of time.

Giraffe3
25-02-12, 16:14
Anniversary had some great puzzles!
The Willard's Lair had some pretty decent puzzles though. I heard Tomb Raider 4 has good puzzles too. And tomb Raider 3, don't even get me started! :cln:

King.Louie
25-02-12, 16:17
I have to agree with Leglion i loved Anniversarys puzzles! :tmb: The chandelier puzzle in TR2 was great also :D

_Awestruck_
25-02-12, 17:31
Okay, smart ass.

Oh good lord..I remember this one..

*shudders*