PDA

View Full Version : What's the most underrated film in your opinion?

Greenapple968
26-02-12, 00:12
For me it would have to be Duell, 1971 film directed by Steven Speilberg. It deserved a lot more credit than it got.

Mad Tony
26-02-12, 00:13
Thought you left?

Anyway, for me I'd say the American version of Godzilla is pretty underrated.

Greenapple968
26-02-12, 00:16
Thought you left?

I did. But a couple people sent me private messages on youtube asking me to come back and so I did.

TRULuverzz
26-02-12, 00:17
Legends of the Fall

jajay119
26-02-12, 00:20
The Haunting (1956 version), Enough starring jennifer lopez, Gothika starring Halle berry.

Weemanply109
26-02-12, 00:26
Gothika starring Halle berry.

This, so much! Omg, I love that film.

AmericanAssassin
26-02-12, 00:32
Anyway, for me I'd say the American version of Godzilla is pretty underrated.
I agree, actually. It's pretty great. :tmb:

Gothika starring Halle berry.
This one was great, too. :D

As for me, Burlesque! :mis: Audiences loooooved it, but critics weren't too nice. :p

Encore
26-02-12, 00:40
Guy Ritchie's Revolver. I'll never understand why so many people hated it.

Oh... and Constantine. Definitely Constantine. That movie was awesome and badass from start to finish yet it never got any love from audience or critics. Guess it's just me!

Shark_Blade
26-02-12, 00:59
As for me, Burlesque! :mis: Audiences loooooved it, but critics weren't too nice. :pI agree with this. **** the critics they don't know ****.

Scorpio1991
26-02-12, 01:07
Super Mario Bros, my favorite movie based off a video game

Ora Dagger
26-02-12, 01:20
About Schmidt
Lars and the real girl

Encore
26-02-12, 01:26
^ I loved Lars and the real girl. It's such a sad movie.

t-raider26
26-02-12, 01:27
The Kingdom

_Awestruck_
26-02-12, 02:04
Girl, Interrupted comes to mind but it's been a while since I've seen it. I might need to rethink saying that. :p

Shark_Blade
26-02-12, 08:19
Super Mario Bros, my favorite movie based off a video gameAbsolute gem.:tmb:

Young Luigi and Princess Peach are pretty hot. I'm glad she went with Luigi than 40 something Mario, that would've been awkwardly wrong and paedophilic. And gross.:p

Bomb Fighter
26-02-12, 08:46
I agree with this. **** the critics they don't know ****.

As for me, Burlesque! Audiences loooooved it, but critics weren't too nice.

So TRUE!
And as for me also Spice World. And Coyote Ugly, my all time fave!

Oh, and AmericanAssassin, your avatar :cln:. Simply beautiful!

Nemo_91
26-02-12, 09:50
Sucker Punch. Sure, it wasn't film of the year material (not by a long shot) but I thought it was actually really entertaining and interesting.

BrandonFlowers
26-02-12, 10:10
The Haunting (1956 version), Enough starring jennifer lopez, Gothika starring Halle berry.

Oh God yes, that film kicks ass, literally. :p

scremanie
26-02-12, 10:27
Silent Hill.

LaraDuh
26-02-12, 12:01
Catwoman...

who am i kidding that movie was awful.

leglion
26-02-12, 12:05
Catwoman, Gothika, Skin, AI, and B.A.P.S.

scremanie
26-02-12, 12:14
Catwoman was pretty overrated, actually....

remote91
27-02-12, 05:38
I enjoy Reefer Madness The Movie Musical a lot.

It's got some amazing songs and I don't feel like many people know about it!

Kristen Bell, Neve Campbell and Ana Gasteyer all star.

benjamin_2010
27-02-12, 06:04
As for me, Burlesque! :mis: Audiences loooooved it, but critics weren't too nice. :p

I can agree with that one, I really liked it (come on, it's Cher and Christina) and most people I know really like it too. Dunno why it wasn't received very well by the critics.

Girl, Interrupted comes to mind but it's been a while since I've seen it. I might need to rethink saying that. :p

I wanna see that one, isn't it one of Angelina's first films?

My choice would be the original Poison Ivy with Drew Barrymore and Sarah Gilbert. Drew looks so fabulous in the movie, and even though I don't like who they cast as the father, it's still pretty good in my opinion. (But it's honestly not like oscar worthy or anything)

fYoQXPHGlWI

Linoshi Croft
27-02-12, 07:01
Sucker Punch.

Lenochka
27-02-12, 07:25
B.A.P.S.

Love that movie! :D

ozzman
27-02-12, 10:34
Red Cliff
RgDYRVJQh3k
Resident Evil 2-4

Rosaly
27-02-12, 10:47
Batman returns, Sucker Punch, Catwoman

Sir Croft
27-02-12, 13:45
House of Wax. I mean, come on! Did you see how Paris Hilton died? Hilarious stuff!

Alive_and_Funky
27-02-12, 19:00
Control. It's actually a well-respected film, but I still feel that it deserves even more acclaim and recognition (the latter I especially feel it is particularly lacking) than it gets.

I Love You Phillip Morris is another film I can think of. It's very funny and nicely shot too.

Nemo_91
27-02-12, 19:07
House of Wax. I mean, come on! Did you see how Paris Hilton died? Hilarious stuff!

I love that film!!

TR-Freak
27-02-12, 20:04
Premonition with Sandra Bullock.

ozzman
27-02-12, 20:25
^ just saw that today on tV

ajrich17901
27-02-12, 20:33
Possession (2009)
The brotherhood of war

Ora Dagger
27-02-12, 20:36
Another one would be Sugarland Express with Goldie Hawn. It's old but I really liked it.

and Dear lemon Lima I adore that film

Legend 4ever
28-02-12, 12:37
Silent Hill.

Absolutely. It's my pick for best video game adaptation.

There are a lot of movies I consider to be underrated but that's mostly because those movies were not supposed to be accepted by everyone to begin with.

Heartbeats and I Killed My Mother come to mind, but those are indie, art films, and although critically acclaimed, they don't have a huge following and haven't made much money.

Death Becomes Her, When A Stranger Calls (remake), The First Wives Club, Andrzej Zulawski's Possession, most of Dario Argento's apart from Suspiria (most people haven't even heard of Suspiria and that's why I think it's underrated, but it's a cult movie so there are those who claim it's overrated within the group of people who have seen it) movies are all very underrated IMO.

cezy rockeru
28-02-12, 12:38
Definitely Silent Hill, people who hear about it are like "Oh, well, another horror movie with no story and crap effects". Bitch, watch it first, and then comment.

Zelda master
28-02-12, 13:58

As a horrormovie, no.
As a comedy, hell yes! :p

Batman returns
Couldn't agree more, my favorate movie of the bunch, although a tad despicable to. The penguin was just discusting, and I loved every second of it :p

peeves
28-02-12, 17:54
Halloween 5 the Revenge of Michael Myers.

Linoshi Croft
28-02-12, 17:57
I agree with Silent Hill.

BtoFu
29-02-12, 01:53
Oh... and Constantine. Definitely Constantine. That movie was awesome and badass from start to finish yet it never got any love from audience or critics. Guess it's just me!

Love that movie too. Sticking your feet in basins of water and staring at cats to get to Hell. Too weird and cooky.

Off the top of my head

Strange Days
The Doom Generation
The Seventh Curse
Knock Off
Drag Me to Hell
Chaos
Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid
Lars and the Real Girl
The Mist
Blue In the Face
An Autumn's Tale
Mystery Train
Dr. Terror's House of Horrors
Out of Sight

Mikky
29-02-12, 01:56
Definitely Silent Hill, people who hear about it are like "Oh, well, another horror movie with no story and crap effects". Bitch, watch it first, and then comment.

I agree with Silent Hill.

Preach it, gurlfriends.

Yeah, that's the only one I can think of. I loved it so much.

Tyrannosaurus
29-02-12, 05:09
Anything by Ralph Bakshi, especially Fritz the Cat, heavy Traffic, Coonskin, Hey Good Lookin', and Wizards. Bakshi's movies could rape Disney's movies to death.

Passion of the Christ: Good god. Why is this movie called a "snuff film" or a "slasher movie" when it's clearly far more ambitious than any of that, both artistically and thematically? The people who described this movie as such literally did not know what it was they were looking at. Why is it that I Spit on Your Grave has a higher rating at Rotten Tomatoes, being defended as a "feminist movie" or somesuch nonsense? Truly depressing.

Conan the Barbarian (1982): This is a great movie, filled with philosophical layers, and one that taps deeply into the mythic structure to deliver a powerful story. It's also beautifully shot, and it has one of the best orchestral film scores ever written. For some reason, though, people only seem to fuse this in their memory with the painfully inferior and stylistically hollow second film, and call it campy or stupid, which it isn't to the degree they seem to think it is.

William Goldman deserves a special place in hell for saying that "Subtext is important unless you're writing the script for Conan the Barbarian." Maybe it's because he thinks he's above the material. He certainly was when he wrote The Princess Bride (which is really about Goldman's lamentation for lost youth and idealism, or at least the book is). Conan the Barbarian, by contrast, actually has the courage of its convictions, and you just don't see that in too many movies these days.

Brotherhood of the Wolf: How many sexy, blood-soaked action movies can you think of that are set during the 18th century? None!

The Fall: This is a fantastically photographed and richly realized fantasy that does everything Suckerpunch tried and failed to do. And the story is quite moving, too.

Sucker Punch.Easily Zack Snyder's worst movie. Watch The Fall.

The Doom Generation
Awful movie that deserves to be forgotten.

voltz
29-02-12, 05:55
Big Trouble in Little China.

BtoFu
29-02-12, 06:43
Awful movie that deserves to be forgotten.

If Jimmy Duval, Rose McGowan and Slowdive are considered to be a bad combination then I don't wanna be right.

Linoshi Croft
29-02-12, 06:59
Easily Zack Snyder's worst movie. Watch The Fall.

I disagree :)

Tyrannosaurus
29-02-12, 09:22
If Jimmy Duval, Rose McGowan and Slowdive are considered to be a bad combination then I don't wanna be right.

It's wasn't the actors who made the movie bad, it was Araki's atrocious script and pretentious style.

Soul
29-02-12, 09:26
4 rooms :D

BtoFu
29-02-12, 11:35
It's wasn't the actors who made the movie bad, it was Araki's atrocious script and pretentious style.

Don't really get what's pretentious about genial satirisation of Gen X culture. Kevin Smith's done it forty times over and people love that junk. I mean if you're thinking Araki's got sum'n serious to say by having a decapitated head puking everywhere and Holy Mary going you know where then uh....I dunno. No doubt it thinks it's being kinda clever here and there, but all I know is it's good stuff when you're blazing.

Tyrannosaurus
29-02-12, 20:32
But Kevin Smith at least has an attitude and opinion toward his subject. Araki is distant from the material, so he hovers away from its implications. It's narrative dishonesty.

BtoFu
01-03-12, 00:30
I have to wonder how detached you can be when you write, direct and edit your own movies. Can't say I'm sure what narrative dishonesty is supposed to mean: you're talking as though films aren't designed to manipulate the emotions of the audience to reach a desired effect. Insincerity is rife in studio pictures. Anyway I like the movie - not as much as Mysterious Skin but ya know. :tmb:

Encore
01-03-12, 01:27
Big Trouble in Little China.

One of my all time favs. :D

voltz
01-03-12, 01:56

I just did some digging and realized the Blu-Ray version is the Special Edition with all bonus features. Sweet eh?

Too bad I like the DVD cover better. :(

Carbonek_0051
01-03-12, 18:10
The Last Airbender, and pretty much anything M. Night has done.

voltz
01-03-12, 23:40
Dune.

Yes it's officially underrated. Check box office....

Encore
01-03-12, 23:51
I agree with The Last Airbender. I loved it, even thought the producers butchered what could have been a much better movie.

I also want to add Tintin to the list. Didn't get any love from critics, audiences or awards shows, but I thought it was really fun and enjoyable. Tintin himself looked adorably cute.

Carbonek_0051
01-03-12, 23:53
I agree with The Last Airbender. I loved it, even thought the producers butchered what could have been a much better movie.

Yup, and M. Night got a lot of the hate for it. Only thing I blame M. Night for is the script, it was so up and down. One minute the script was really good, the next it was off. The acting wasn't as bad as people make it out to be either, it's pretty much the same level of acting I got from Star Wars. So I was content.

King.Louie
02-03-12, 00:02
The Lovely Bones.

Yes there was key scenes missing from the movie but all in all it was a great film. Very emotional, suspenful, and tragic.

musicmaestro10
02-03-12, 01:10
Silent Hill

Blade Trinity

TRLegendLuver
02-03-12, 01:16
The Illusionist, directed by Neil Burger. That is my favorite movie of all time and it has, amazing, award-winning actors in it like Paul Giamatti, Edward Norton, Rufus Sewell, and it didn't sell that much as it should have. It deserved so many awards but I think only got nominations. It had incredible acting, so many amazing plots, a gorgeous music score by Philip Glass. It's so disappointing that it didn't do better.

Catapharact
02-03-12, 01:30
GATTACA. Hands down.

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/15700000/Gattaca-Poster-gattaca-15743375-300-426.jpg

Amazing cinematography. Amazing script. Amazing set design and backdrop. There were times where the acting could be a bit better but considering the flow of the script and the conflicting ideals and drama between the protagonist and the anti-hero supporting actor (Jude Law) was amazing.

Really like this movie.

jajay119
02-03-12, 02:50
The Help is an absolutely amazing film. I can't express how much I enjoyed it. It's immediately one of my favourites.

leglion
02-03-12, 02:54
Catwoman was pretty overrated, actually....

Not from what I'm seeing. This post can be used as an example strangely enough.

Also, Obsessed ft. Beyonce knowles.

CiaKonwerski
02-03-12, 02:56
A few movies that most people probably do not know about, and also a few that I feel deserve more attention than received.

http://www.dvdactive.com/images/news/screenshot/2011/6/forgetmenot2d.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/f7/Long_kiss_goodnight_ver1.jpg/215px-Long_kiss_goodnight_ver1.jpg
http://rpmedia.ask.com/ts?u=/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/3a/Flipped_poster.jpg/215px-Flipped_poster.jpg
http://www.comingsoon.net/gallery/64740/Extremely_Loud___Incredibly_Close_2.jpg
http://www.movie-list.com/posters/big/zoom/panslabyrinth.jpg

Carbonek_0051
02-03-12, 02:57
Pan's Labyrinth is far from underrated, I've never heard a single bad word about it.

jajay119
02-03-12, 02:58
It's also the best selling hispanic film in the US having grossed $38 million in that territory alone. So, yeah, pretty popular.

CiaKonwerski
02-03-12, 02:59
Pan's Labyrinth is far from underrated, I've never heard a single bad word about it.

In my opinion it isn't really known by a lot of people, at least here, hence why I think it is underrated. It was never really advertised and most people that I speak with do not want to watch it because it is in Spanish. From where I'm from I would consider it underrated.

It really depends on where you live and how much it is advertised etc. The first film I posted may have been popular in London, where it is set, but here in the U.S. I doubt many people have heard of it.

robm_2007
02-03-12, 03:03
The Help is an absolutely amazing film. I can't express how much I enjoyed it. It's immediately one of my favourites.

That's not underrated.

Carbonek_0051
02-03-12, 03:04
It's also the best selling hispanic film in the US having grossed $38 million in that territory alone. So, yeah, pretty popular.

Exactly, and I am sure it won awards as well.

jajay119
02-03-12, 03:05
That's not underrated.

It only released last year and I haven't seen or heard of it anywhere before having to watch a clip of it for a lecture yesterday. So, yeah, for me it is.

CiaKonwerski
02-03-12, 03:06
I agree that I think it was very popular in the eyes of everyone who actually saw the film yes, but underrated also mean to underestimate. As I said from where I'm from I only know of a couple people who have seen it. I wish it had been more advertised around here.

Carbonek_0051
02-03-12, 03:07
Still not underrated in my eyes. So I disagree.

robm_2007
02-03-12, 03:07
It won 3 out of its 6 Oscar nominations, 3 out of 8 BAFTA nominations, etc. I think it did pretty well.

Catracoth
02-03-12, 03:08
There are a lot of underrated films out there.
It's impossible to choose one.

I'll say Hard Candy since that's one of my favourites and a majority of people I know either didn't like it or won't give it a chance.

robm_2007
02-03-12, 03:11
I still need to watch that. It sounds disgustingly good.

Catracoth
02-03-12, 03:12
I thought it was fantastic.
Somewhat slow-paced in the beginning - which is to be expected from a psychological film - and then it opens up after the first twenty minutes or so.

CiaKonwerski
02-03-12, 03:20
Another. Definitely cannot choose just one. :p
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTM1MTYzNjA3M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjk2NTE4Mg@@._ V1._SY317_CR3,0,214,317_.jpg

voltz
02-03-12, 06:57
Some new ones on the list.

Appleseed - This was obviously the next step in anime and 3D animation in Japan, but it hasn't gone beyond this aside from Final Fantasy: Spirits Within (another underrated) and a few straight to DVD's in the U.S.

The Perils of Gwendoline in the Land of the Yik-Yak - Based off an earlier comic on the Adventure's of Gwendoline. The film is very adult (more then a number of bear breasts, thongs, etc), but it has gathered a rather lucrative cult following in film circles.

Hamburger: The Movie - It's generally 80's style raunchy comedy about a group of people who get enrolled into "Burger University" so they can earn a degree for serving the fast food industry (LOL!) serving the Buster-Burger-Franchise!

"Put those cookies back, mother******!!"

Zapped - Another 80's style raunch comedy where a lab accident leads to powers of mind over matter (telekinesis) and all kinds of mischief occurs. See this for the legendary Star Trek spoof and the possessed talking dummy.

Yes I highly recommend these if you haven't seen them already. I'm pointing at you noobs born in the 90's and later. ;)

Edit: I forgot to point out Gwendoline is NC-17, please view responsibly kids! :pi:

michaeldt
02-03-12, 07:36
Single white female

Shark_Blade
02-03-12, 09:48
Some new ones on the list.

Appleseed - This was obviously the next step in anime and 3D animation in Japan, but it hasn't gone beyond this aside from Final Fantasy: Spirits Within (another underrated) and a few straight to DVD's in the U.S.
The graphic is definitely good, using pixel shading technique (and normally I'm against that thing :p).

But in terms of story, I felt it's a bit underwhelming. Action wise: it's great, definitely.

Nerd For Life
02-03-12, 13:19

Mine too! Big Trouble in Little China is amazing.

I think Breakfast on Pluto is underrated.