PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Steve Kordek - the inventor of pinball...

Spong
27-02-12, 11:07
I considered putting this in the videogame board, but pinball, to me, is something which has a far more widespread appeal than that. You don't have to be a fan of videogames to have played and enjoyed a pinball game.

Steve Kordek, the man credited with inventing pinball gaming, has died aged 100. Kordek, of Park Ridge, Illinois, passed away on 19th February, according to a Time report. He designed the two-flipper pinball machine - a standard that remains today - and built over 100 pinball games during a vast, influential career.

Kordek took the six flipper design popular in the 1940s and reduced it to two. His game Triple Action wowed fans upon its 1948 Chicago début and revolutionised pinball gaming. He then added direct-current power to the flippers so a ball could be skilfully and somewhat accurately flipped from the bottom of the playfield to the top.

Kordek also invented the first drop targets and multi-ball play.

His best-known games include the space race-inspired Space Mission, an auto-racing game called Grand Prix, and the poker-themed Pokerino. His final pinball game was Vacation America, a 2003 machine inspired by National Lampoon's Vacation movies.

"Steve's impact would be comparable to D.W. Griffith moving from silent films through talkies and colour and CinemaScope and 3D with computer-generated graphics," Roger Sharpe, author of Pinball! (1977), a history of the industry, told the New York Times.

"He moved through each era seamlessly."

http://i.imgur.com/YPTCR.jpg

From Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-27-steve-kordek-inventor-of-pinball-gaming-dies-aged-100)

R.I.P. to the man who gave so many millions of people around the globe so much fun. I'm sure his legacy, which has already evolved into the digital domain, will live on.

TippingWater
27-02-12, 11:11
Rest in Peace :(.

EscondeR
27-02-12, 11:12
R.I.P.

Not into pinball myself, but still sad :(

noonbob
27-02-12, 11:13
R.i.p :(

TRULuverzz
27-02-12, 11:26
Rest In Peace :(

Sir Croft
27-02-12, 14:40
This man was a genius, seriously. Jesus, the amount of money I made my dad spend on pinball machines...

RIP.

klona
27-02-12, 14:46
Rest In Peace.

lcroft_lc
27-02-12, 14:49
Requiescat In Pace. :(:(:(

Encore
28-02-12, 01:17
Oh my God. This man should have won a Nobel Prize. So many fond memories I have, and now I know who I should have thanked.

RIP.

NCFirebolt21
28-02-12, 01:38
^Exactly what Encore said.

Pinball was one of the first few games I was introduced to, and I still love it. No matter if it's an actual pinball machine or a computer game.

RIP Steve Kordek. :(

Love2Raid
28-02-12, 02:08
Why are you people sad? The guy lived a 100 years and he developed something that people are still enjoying till this date and will keep playing on for years more! What's there to be sad about? :p

R.I.P.

_KC_
28-02-12, 02:14
The guy served a valid purpose. Thank you Mr. Steve Kordek. *goes plays Sonic Spinball*

Eddie Haskell
28-02-12, 02:21
Having been born and raised in the city of pinball, I have been enamored with it since my early youth. Park Ridge is a nearby suburb and actually not too far from me, and my aunt and uncle once worked for Williams here in Chi-town. In my teen years (the early/mid '70's) I played pinball every chance I got (provided I had the dough) in the bowling alley a block from my house. It wasn't easy on a dollar a week allowance, so I mowed lawns all summer to earn enough money for my fun. Oh how I miss those days, and even though most of the bowling alleys and game rooms are now long gone, a good friend of mine still owns a real old-fashioned bowling alley that I visit regularly. And I don't bowl there, my buddy acquired a couple of 70's era machines that I love to play.

And I also maintain a couple of machines in my basement that I adore, one is Tales of the Arabian Nights (quite simply one of the finest games ever produced) and the other is Contact, a game that I played to death back in the 70's. I also have many computer pinball simulations, and one of them includes Tales of the Arabian Nights. If you ever see the software Williams Pinball Classics get it, it's an excellent representation of the real games.

As far as Mr. Kordek, he must have lived a very fulfilling life, at least from an employment standing. Who wouldn't want to design pinball games! And he lived to the incredible age of 100! God bless Mr Kordek, and I for one am very grateful for all the enjoyment that he worked hard to deliver to me.

Spong
28-02-12, 15:01
^An absorbing read, Eddie, I could've happily read more. I was hoping to see you post in here to be honest, call me presumptuous but I figured you'd have something particularly apt to say :D:tmb:

Why are you people sad? The guy lived a 100 years and he developed something that people are still enjoying till this date and will keep playing on for years more! What's there to be sad about? :p

A celebration is what it should be, you're right :)

Eddie Haskell
28-02-12, 19:07
^An absorbing read, Eddie, I could've happily read more. I was hoping to see you post in here to be honest, call me presumptuous but I figured you'd have something particularly apt to say :D:tmb:

It's nice of you to say that, most people want to read less of my work... :o I have noticed in the past that my words tend to put the kibosh on any future posts for some reason.

And I tell you, when you get to be my age you do tend to think back to those wonderful, carefree days of youth. I know it's gonna sound corny, but in my minds eye the sun was brighter, the days were longer and full of exciting things, and the world was a much better place. Everyone should really appreciate and enjoy their youth, because one day you'll wake up with your innocence gone and find that your shackled with the ball and chain of real life and responsibility. And I'll hazard a guess that Mr. Kordek was very lucky to have spent his life crafting games instead of toiling in a stuffy office or shoveling asphalt. In a way he was able to keep some of that youthful spirit in his chosen field.

A celebration is what it should be, you're right :)

Absolutely agree. :)