PDA

View Full Version : Wolf Reintroduction to the UK: for or against?

Ward Dragon
27-02-12, 20:57
Poll requested by xXhayleyroxXx :)

Grey wolves were a native species to the United Kingdom before they were hunted to extinction in the 1700s. They are a species which has always faced controversy due to their sometimes aggressive nature and predation to livestock, and the grey wolf now faces further controversy after recent plans to reintroduce this species to the Scottish Highlands. This idea has been met with anger from some of the general public, including farmers who fear for their livestock and those who walk through the country who fear for their safety. However, some people believe it would be great for tourist income, reducing the amount of deer which destroy forest habitats and consequently native species, and restore national heritage. Where does your view stand on this project?

Articles for further reading

BBC: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6310211.stm
Wolves & Humans (organisation): http://www.wolvesandhumans.org/wolve...o_scotland.htm (http://www.wolvesandhumans.org/wolves/wolf_reintroduction_to_scotland.htm)
The Independent: http://www.independent.co.uk/environ...in-806900.html (http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/nature/back-from-the-dead-could-wolves-and-wild-boar-roam-britain-again-806900.html)
ThisisLondon: http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...countryside.do (http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23366553-bid-to-reintroduce-lynx-and-wolf-to-countryside.do)

Optional Survey:

Name (you can put your forum username if uncomfortable with using real name):
Country of Residence:

#1 ~ Do you agree with re-releasing the wolves into the UK?
Yes/No.

#2 ~ Do you have any concerns about wolf reintroductions, if so, what? (If not, leave unanswered)

#3 ~ Do you think there would be any positive benefits from wolf reintroduction into the Uk? If so, what? (If not, leave unanswered).

If you have any other views youd like to share, then please feel free but be aware I may reference you in my work :)

Spong
27-02-12, 21:01
I voted undecided, it was the closest option to "I don't care".

Greenapple968
27-02-12, 21:03
Completely in favour of it. I haven't read any of the links provided, mainly because I don't need to.

Bring back the wolves! :yah:

jajay119
27-02-12, 21:03
The post is a perfect example of why I'm undecided. I never knew that wolves were indiginous to the UK before, and I think it would be nice to see them re-introduced if it could provide them with a place for them to grow and move away from danger of extinction.

But you cannot predict the effect on the local land, animals and people. That's what worries me. What if in a couple of decades they're causing problems?

Mikky
27-02-12, 21:14
I voted "no". Just from what I know (which is what I read in the OP), if they are any danger to other animals and livestock, then I don't think it's worth it. That's just my opinion, though.

That pretty much answered questions 1 & 2 of the optional survey, too.

Cochrane
27-02-12, 21:17
Not sure about the UK, but we are seeing wolves and other predators reintroduced in Germany, partially due to natural migration (wolves are coming back from Poland and moving slowly to the west) and partly due to specific programs (the eurasian lynx is being reintroduced in the Harz mountains, for example). As far as I understand, they are generally well behaved, staying away from humans and eating relatively little, although e.g. sheep may be at risk in some situations. Hunters are not too fond of them, but at least around where I live, they seem to be able to live with the situation. So there is no good objective reason to not reintroduce them.

I'm not sure if there is any outright benefit to reintroducing wolves. All of western europe is defined by biotopes that are horribly broken by humans, but work because humans are actively interfering (e.g. through hunting). They can certainly accept wolves, but I don't think they really need them to cull e.g. deer populations. If there is an advantage, it is more of an "I feel good that we are undoing some damage we did hundreds of years ago" thing, not something really objective.

But: I am scared of dogs, and I see no reason to be less scared of the wild, undomesticated version of dogs. So I say no, do not reintroduce them anywhere except in zoos.

larafan25
27-02-12, 21:40
I voted yes in hopes that the wolves would eat Spong.

Spong
27-02-12, 22:00
^Unless they reintroduce wolves into my lounge, I think the chances of that happening are slim at best. Sorry :wve::ton:

Tony9595
27-02-12, 22:06
I voted no because I don't want Spong to be eaten. :(

Spong
27-02-12, 22:09
^Nawww :hug:

xXhayleyroxXx
27-02-12, 22:16
If you's could avoid the spam please, as I need to print-screen every page for evidence for my dissertation :p Thankyou for the helpful replies <3

Rai
27-02-12, 23:11
Thank you Hayley for this thought provoking poll idea (and WD for posting it of course).

Anyone who saw my (now old) thread on the UKWCT (http://ukwct.org.uk/) knows of my interest in wolves. The more I learn about them, the more interested I become. Wolves are private animals in the most part and are unlikely to approach humans let alone attack unless under threat. Of course there are concerns for human safety and that of livestock, but any reintroduction would be done slowly and address these concerns from my understanding of how it works (which is little). It was great to see wolves in environments that were as close to their natural habitat you can get in captivity, but it is still a shame, imo, that wolves aren't wild in the UK in their actual natural habitats. I'm for reintroduction.

Mad Tony
27-02-12, 23:17
Anyway, I voted no. I read the article (unlike some) but I don't really see how the supposed benefits outweigh the negatives.

Weemanply109
27-02-12, 23:17
I voted undecided, it was the closest option to "I don't care".

:vlol: This.

Sorry Hayley, No offence mean't gal. Luv ya. xoxo

Reggie
27-02-12, 23:39
I voted no because I am very cautious about eco-systems being affected by human interference (through introduction or re-introductions). Reintroducing wolves after more than 300 years could have a dramatic effect on wildlife. I understand there is a potential positive to the eco system being argued but I would need to see more scientific evidence from case studies to prove that.

Until I'm convinced otherwise, I am skeptical enough to vote no.

@Hayley: Are you sure tombraiderforums.com is the right place to source your responses from?
As you can see, some have already skewed the poll by voting 'undecided' as a way of saying 'don't care'. Just be aware of that or factor it into your results - you may need an asterix or three. ;)

Trinity34
27-02-12, 23:45
I am not from the UK but will the wolves have enough habitat to roam? Are they going to be reintroduced into some sort of park where they can be protected? If not, then I would say no because odds are if they were hunted to extinction in the 1700's then it will probably happen today. Plus any livestock that gets killed will definately be blamed on the wolves.

xXhayleyroxXx
27-02-12, 23:45
^ They will have enough habitat to roam -- its completely undisturbed apart from the occassional flock of sheep or farm. Whether or not it will have protection is something that is in debate cuurently. But yes, those are certainly possibilities which may occur.

Thank you Hayley for this thought provoking poll idea (and WD for posting it of course).

You're most welcome, and thankyou for the insightful reply :hug:

@Hayley: Are you sure tombraiderforums.com is the right place to source your responses from?
As you can see, some have already skewed the poll by voting 'undecided' as a way of saying 'don't care'. Just be aware of that or factor it into your results - you may need an asterix or three. ;)

Haha well -- I've gone down many routes of public opinions -- message boards, questionarres, emailing etc -- this won't be the only forum I use but I thought I'd get more varied replies in comparison to those on a pet forum, who are more likely to be bias. That was the theory anyway :p

Chocola teapot
28-02-12, 00:01
Yes. They were here originally, why not? It would increase biodiversity.

The obvious question being, do they pose any harm to us?

The increase in biodiversity and the ecosystem being brought closer to how it was before we interfered.

leglion
28-02-12, 00:04
Yes. They were here originally, why not? It would increase biodiversity.

The obvious question being, do they pose any harm to us?

The increase in biodiversity and the ecosystem being brought closer to how it was before we interfered.

Wouldn't it decrease biodiversity since they've not been part of that ecosystem for a while...

xXhayleyroxXx
28-02-12, 00:09
Wouldn't it decrease biodiversity since they've not been part of that ecosystem for a while...

I don't think so -- they'd control the numbers of red deer which destroy habitat for other native species, which cause others specie's numbers to decrease rapidly. Reintroduction of wolves would naturally cull the deer numbers and allow the habitat to grow back and biodiversity to stabilise, if not improve.

leglion
28-02-12, 00:12
I don't think so -- they'd control the numbers of red deer which destroy habitat for other native species, which cause others specie's numbers to decrease rapidly. Reintroduction of wolves would naturally cull the deer numbers and allow the habitat to grow back and biodiversity to stabilise, if not improve.

But what about predators or parasites of the wolf? Surely they would have went extinct also? (BTW, i voted yes)

xXhayleyroxXx
28-02-12, 00:13
But what about predators or parasites of the wolf? Surely they would have went extinct also? (BTW, i voted yes)

The wolves didn't really have many predators -- just us. I'm not too sure about parasites but that's a good point :p

MiCkiZ88
28-02-12, 00:16
UK is pretty heavily populated and there's barely any proper forest areas for the wolves to hunt naturally, so I'm on the edge with this one. I love animals and I do think we should do everything to preserve life, but I just don't see UK being ideal anymore. Scandinavia is perfect for wolves and lynx for to hunt as its mostly forest.

leglion
28-02-12, 00:16
So to effectively reintroduce the wolf, parasites and predators if there were any need to be introduced also. And even then that doesn't guarantee a successful reintroduction.

Ikas90
28-02-12, 00:28
How are they going to reintroduce the wolves if they've gone extinct, as it says at the beginning of the article? By extinct, I'm pretty sure that means there are NONE left on the planet.

leglion
28-02-12, 00:31
How are they going to reintroduce the wolves if they've gone extinct, as it says at the beginning of the article? By extinct, I'm pretty sure that means there are NONE left on the planet.

The term extinct can also be used to refer to a specific area. As in "Giraffes are now extinct in Egypt" Or "Hippos are now extinct in the Sahara"

TRLegendLuver
28-02-12, 03:37
Yes. :)

TRULuverzz
28-02-12, 03:43
I vote Yes so I can adopt one and make them eat my haters :mis:

Dark Lugia 2
28-02-12, 04:33
What about the effects that this could have on the ecosystem? Wouldn't it be worse if they lead to the decline and possible extinction of other species?

Also, people already complain a lot about foxes and how they find their way into urban areas. I live in a city and I've seen a few on my street and in gardens when the nearest woodland/field is a good while away. Imagine what people would say if the same started happening with wolves?

The idea is nice but in practice it seems like the negatives outweigh the positives imo.

EscondeR
28-02-12, 05:37
@ Greenapple: Do NOT forget about that thread/poll purpose. You can keep your personal... errmmm... stuff to PM. You have one right now BTW.

MiCkiZ88
28-02-12, 08:33
What about the effects that this could have on the ecosystem? Wouldn't it be worse if they lead to the decline and possible extinction of other species?

Also, people already complain a lot about foxes and how they find their way into urban areas. I live in a city and I've seen a few on my street and in gardens when the nearest woodland/field is a good while away. Imagine what people would say if the same started happening with wolves?

The idea is nice but in practice it seems like the negatives outweigh the positives imo.
That's why UK isn't the best place to have wild hunter species anymore because their natural habitat has been reduced to nothing. =/ From what I've seen in UK, it's just fields, fields and a bit of ''forest'' in between. I haven't been to the south west though, and judging from satellite pictures that would be the only ''natural'' area for them to live. So if they do reintroduce wolves, their count would have to be carefully monitored.

I find it sad that most of the forest have been turned in to fields when looking at the satellite photos of Europe :/ Scandinavia and the eastern side are the only green splashes xD

jackali
28-02-12, 10:12
I'm going to say undecided. It's in Scotland, so it doesn't really have much impact on anything this far south.
I don't really see what the reintroduction of wolves will actually bring that can't be done by other means. But also, I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be done.

Nenya awakens
28-02-12, 11:13
I voted yes, I mean they would still be here anyway if it wasn't for us. I do have concerns about them coming in the streets though as fox's do, that could become a problem.

Nausinous
28-02-12, 11:14
Sounds like a great idea.

Cochrane
28-02-12, 11:58
I voted yes, I mean they would still be here anyway if it wasn't for us. I do have concerns about them coming in the streets though as fox's do, that could become a problem.

I don't think that is a serious danger. At least I never heard anything about that from countries where wolves were reintroduced or never went extinct. Wolves travel in packs and have very different hunting behavior from foxes, so they don't have much interest in going into the towns. I wouldn't say that it will absolutely never happen, but it should not be a big problem, if at all.

Nenya awakens
28-02-12, 12:04
But if they run out food and are starving, what is tastier? Bin food or a nice plump human?

StefanJ94
28-02-12, 12:06
I like wolfs, they're cute. :D

Sir Croft
28-02-12, 12:32
Undecided.
On one side, I think it would be great to the environment and biodiversity if wolves were reintroduced, on the other side, I'm worried about the threat they may pose for the people, especially farmers, and the risk of the wolf population growing out of control.

MadCroy101
28-02-12, 12:36
No, as badass as wolves are, humans probably should have no further interaction with them.

cezy rockeru
28-02-12, 13:48
I voted "no". Just from what I know (which is what I read in the OP), if they are any danger to other animals and livestock, then I don't think it's worth it.

This.

igonge
28-02-12, 14:18
Undecided. While I'm all for animals and them living n ****, it sounds like it could be a bad thing for the farmers and walkers and stuff :confused:

jackles
28-02-12, 17:53
Very close poll so far. I am for the wolves myself.

Light a Flare
28-02-12, 18:00
I'm still undecided about this. I can see the benefits it would have to our ecosystems, especially in controlling the number of deer.

On the other hand, regardless of what people say, it will affect farming (particularly sheep) and as such I'm on the fence at the moment. :o

Cochrane
28-02-12, 18:01
But if they run out food and are starving, what is tastier? Bin food or a nice plump human?

First of all: They are not likely to starve. There are still plenty of animals in the forests all around europe. The only problem may be that they compete with licensed hunters. In case of doubt, they will also attack sheep or other domesticated animals that aren't protected properly. Common practice is that the government reimburses the animals owners for such losses.

Second: The average human is twice as big as a wolf, and the wolf has no idea what the human is capable of. The average human also lives in a town that is noisy, smelly and full of things that will kill you and your pack right away if you're not careful. Neither of these things are particularly appealing to a wolf. If anything, you should be scared that they may attack pets that stray too far from their owners. I'm not sure if wolves actually do that, though.

Rai
28-02-12, 19:22

Cochrane gives perfectly good answers to this, but to add, a wolf is highly unlikely to go near anywhere too close to humans let alone attack unless threatened or their cubs are threatened. The wolves are likely to be reintroduced in areas far from towns at any rate.

peeves
28-02-12, 19:41
I voted no even though I'm not from the UK.

Draco
28-02-12, 19:56
I voted yes, even though my opinion doesn't matter at all. The only people who will be negatively affected are the same type of people that got rid of wolves in the first place... so let them get their due.

Trinity34
28-02-12, 23:42
Hmm this is an interesting topic. Seems people still are afraid of wolves even tho its been documented that wolves hardly ever hurt people. Coyotes have been reintroduced where I live and they have come into people's yards and killed pets, usually small dogs are attacked. This might be a territorial thing but the small dogs have been killed and carried off so I guess it was for food but don't know.

Seth94
29-02-12, 00:09
I'm undecided. :)

Orionvalentine
29-02-12, 12:29
No, there are enough animals in this country (the people) that would similarly gouge your throat out and feast on your carcass. Look at Jeremy Kyle... :ton:

tomee
29-02-12, 14:25
While I think I shouldn't be voting, I voted no. I think the only people who should have word on this are the Scottish. And since there are people who fear the livestock, I think it'd be unfair against them.

Miharu
29-02-12, 14:59
I voted no because I don't want Spong to be eaten. :(

Ditto. :)

Alpharaider47
01-03-12, 00:53
I voted yes, and opted to do the optional survey :cool:

Optional Survey:

Name: Charles Allaire
Country of Residence: USA (someday UK... again...) :p

#1 ~ Do you agree with re-releasing the wolves into the UK?

Yes, contingent upon certain things.

#2 ~ Do you have any concerns about wolf reintroductions, if so, what? (If not, leave unanswered)

Yes. While I think that reintroducing wolves would be a neat tourist and heritage deal, I believe that it should only be done if the wolf population can be managed properly. Here in the US not that long ago, Idaho (and a few other states I believe) was selling tags to hunters allowing the wolves to be hunted in order to combat rising population numbers and to keep the animals in check. I'm not sure if something similar would be feasible, but contingency plans should be in place.

#3 ~ Do you think there would be any positive benefits from wolf reintroduction into the Uk? If so, what? (If not, leave unanswered).

Wolves are a natural predator and can keep animal, like deer, populations in check. They are awesome creatures, in my opinion, and are sure to generate some tourist interest. I would also imagine that this would draw some international attention, and might attract fans from countries like the United States. That in turn could generate some income for the UK.

And that pretty much sums up my opinion :D

patriots88888
01-03-12, 07:12

Yes. While I think that reintroducing wolves would be a neat tourist and heritage deal, I believe that it should only be done if the wolf population can be managed properly. Here in the US not that long ago, Idaho (and a few other states I believe) was selling tags to hunters allowing the wolves to be hunted in order to combat rising population numbers and to keep the animals in check. I'm not sure if something similar would be feasible, but contingency plans should be in place.

Yea, that seems reasonable enough to me as well. It sounds to me as if this entire issue was born out of a classic case of overreaction/overkill.

Blackmoor
03-03-12, 19:50
I voted no.

It's a nice idea but I can see problems for both sides - wolves and humans.

FloTheMachine
03-03-12, 22:38
Well. I think they shouldn't have been hunted to extinction in the first place, and they deserve to be at home in England if they were here originally.
But I worry if that will make the woodlands and wild places of England dangerous, because obviously, grey wolves are pretty savage hunters...

I voted yes, because I'm totally against hunting of animals...
So maybe those woodlands shouldn't have been safe in the first place...

Rai
04-03-12, 00:07
^I don't think wolves will be randomly placed in any old random woods or forests where lots of people visit. More than likely wolves will be placed in areas far from towns, in areas perhaps that are already protected/reserved so that wildlife can flourish without human interference etc. And as it has been said, wolves don't randomly attack humans unless they feel threatened. They're shy creatures actually and are likely to stay away form humans by choice.

FloTheMachine
04-03-12, 00:14
They wouldn't be randomly placed, but they're not really reintroducing the species if they're keeping them in captivity, or in reserves.

Rai
04-03-12, 00:24
I didn't say they'd be in captivity, they would be in the wild, but there are reserves aren't there, big spaces of land that humans don't go to, or not often. Areas big enough where if there are man made paths etc, it's still far enough from areas where the wolves would frequent. The woods or forests where the wolves would be reintroduced would be far from towns or villages. So the chances of a human/wolf encounter is greatly lessened. The chances of wondering into wolf territory whilst out on you Sunday ramble would be very low.

moodydog
04-03-12, 00:28
I voted undecided. I think they should be kept in sanctuary's if they are introduced back into the UK.

FloTheMachine
04-03-12, 00:37
I didn't say they'd be in captivity, they would be in the wild, but there are reserves aren't there, big spaces of land that humans don't go to, or not often. Areas big enough where if there are man made paths etc, it's still far enough from areas where the wolves would frequent. The woods or forests where the wolves would be reintroduced would be far from towns or villages. So the chances of a human/wolf encounter is greatly lessened. The chances of wondering into wolf territory whilst out on you Sunday ramble would be very low.

But not non-existent. :p
Don't get me wrong, I want them to be introduced! :D
I just think it seems... perilous.

Rai
04-03-12, 00:54
^Just don't go wondering off the beaten track in the woods at night :whi:. You'll be fine :p

Blackmoor
04-03-12, 10:49
Wasn't there a spate of stories a little while ago about foxes getting into people's house and attacking babies and children, and also sleeping adults?! :eek:

Can only imagine what would happen if a wolf got into someone's house, or a pack of them.

It's bad enough that somewhere there are supposedly wild panther's roaming the woods and fields. :eek: