PDA

View Full Version : Do you sometimes think that female singers are USING gays to get sales?

leglion
28-02-12, 21:14
I sometimes get this feeling. Like nicki minaj, back in her mix tape days she had some homophobic lyrics. Now she can't get enough of her "ken dolls"... Am I the only one that noticed this sort of stuff?

Mikky
28-02-12, 21:20
Using gays? That just sounds ridiculous and paranoid. Sure, I have no doubt that they purposely try to appeal to a gay audience, but I wouldn't say they "use" us.

Weemanply109
28-02-12, 21:20
I sometimes get this feeling. Like nicki minaj, back in her mix tape days she had some homophobic lyrics.

Omg! Source? :eek:

I do think this applies to GaGa, tbh.

leglion
28-02-12, 21:24
Using gays? That just sounds ridiculous and paranoid. Sure, I have no doubt that they purposely try to appeal to a gay audience, but I wouldn't say they "use" us.
But if they're homophobic or don't genuinely like gay people then they are using them...
Omg! Source? :eek:

I do think this applies to GaGa, tbh.

I'll message you when I find the song again. It should be in my YouTube history.

Lenochka
28-02-12, 21:42
Lady GaGa... that is all.

Though she does care about the gays, she definitely does this whole "THANK GOD n' TEH GAYSS!!11" thing more than she use to.

Killercowz
28-02-12, 21:43
Wait, I'm confused.

You don't like Nicki Minaj and bash her raps but you seem to reference her a lot and listen to her material? :p
Interesting.

Anyway, of course I think female singers do that.
It's how they can appeal to a wider mass.

They use gay guys and girls to listen to their music and attract straight boys with their sex appeal.
It's been that way a long time. :)

leglion
28-02-12, 21:50
Wait, I'm confused.

You don't like Nicki Minaj and bash her raps but you seem to reference her a lot and listen to her material? :p
Interesting.

Anyway, of course I think female singers do that.
It's how they can appeal to a wider mass.

They use gay guys and girls to listen to their music and attract straight boys with their sex appeal.
It's been that way a long time. :)

I don't listen to her per se, but I try to give each artist a chance with each song. If I don't like it, I never listen to it again. I still haven't found anything by nicki that I like.

Killercowz
28-02-12, 21:58
I don't listen to her per se, but I try to give each artist a chance with each song. If I don't like it, I never listen to it again. I still haven't found anything by nicki that I like.
Oh I see.
Interesting.
:D

benjamin_2010
28-02-12, 22:24
Wow, this is a really interesting idea..

I think Lady Gaga definitely capitalized on the recent sort of "gay movement" but I think she genuinely wants to help, and I think she just took a political stance and rode it out. Did it make her more popular? Probably. But do I mind? Not at all.

As for Nicki Minaj, I have always had a hard time putting her and gay together. She seems like she might be in it for the attention aspect, but I also don't see her as homophobic (anymore). I have no doubt she might have been in the past, but hey, it was kind of a thing 10 years ago to call everything "gay". Even I did it!

leglion
28-02-12, 22:29
I found a song of hers that has homophobic lyrics. Its called dead wrong.
"I'm flyer than a maggot I'm on some ****
First they love you then they switch, then they switch like faggots"
This song is saying that being gay is a choice but this isn't the one I'm referring to. The other one was saying all gay men are effeminate. In that song she also used the word faggot.

larafan25
28-02-12, 22:30
Nope.

Dark Lugia 2
28-02-12, 22:33
It is possible for homophobic views to genuinely change after being educated on the matter.

leglion
28-02-12, 22:36
I don't know, the way nicki minaj is doing it just seems fake. Plus acting bisexual to appeal to a male audience isn't really helping her case.

Weemanply109
28-02-12, 22:48
I found a song of hers that has homophobic lyrics. Its called dead wrong.
"I'm flyer than a maggot I'm on some ****
First they love you then they switch, then they switch like faggots"
This song is saying that being gay is a choice but this isn't the one I'm referring to. The other one was saying all gay men are effeminate. In that song she also used the word faggot.

I'm losing respect for her. :rolleyes:

Chocola teapot
28-02-12, 22:53
Not anymore than they're 'using' the rest of the general public for sales.

Encore
28-02-12, 23:42
Most pop artists, some more than others, have a sense of what the demographic groups they can "snatch" from the market and focus the marketing around their music in those groups. It's nothing new. It's no different than boys bands capitalizing on pretty faces to sell music, which was a widespread phenomenon when I was a kid.

TippingWater
29-02-12, 00:09
Do you sometimes think that female singers are USING gays to get sales? Yup.

Gamd1011
29-02-12, 00:41
Yes

jajay119
29-02-12, 00:51
Not really, but some singers such as Kylie Minogue, GaGa and Madonna know well who their fan base is and cater to that which can sometimes look like pandering.

Camera Obscura
29-02-12, 00:59
Most pop artists, some more than others, have a sense of what the demographic groups they can "snatch" from the market and focus the marketing around their music in those groups. It's nothing new. It's no different than boys bands capitalizing on pretty faces to sell music, which was a widespread phenomenon when I was a kid.

What boy band doesn't prey on a little girl's insecurites? All you need is a pretty face, some basic music/singing skills, and lyrics that go like "Oh baby you're the only one for me" and every 12 year old girl will be worshiping you at your feet. :vlol:

MattTR
29-02-12, 02:41
Nope, but I hear everyone saying this and it makes me mad. Why would us gays be a good marketing strategy in the first place anyway? :p

EmeraldFields
29-02-12, 03:14
^Because gays are often loyal fans and have a larger disposable income to spend on music, concerts, and other items.

leglion
29-02-12, 03:19
And to add on to that, gaining them as fans is as simple as repping LGBT in many if not most cases.

Tyrannosaurus
29-02-12, 04:58
Maybe this is why Diamanda Galas looks like a drag queen in most of her pictures. I hear she has a huge gay following.

Admles
29-02-12, 07:05
"USING" them? I doubt it

Capitalising on their gay fan base? Hell yes

Lara Croft!
29-02-12, 10:11
Singers do whatever their managers and publicist tell them. If they tell them to go on a show about AIDS and talk about gay gays, they will do it. Every artist that belongs in a major record label, has as his/her primary goal to sell to more and more people. The gay community is a huge amount of the population, so it's pretty obvious that many pop singers, like Lady Gaga, try to focus on them. I wouldn't say that they are "using" them, unless we accept that term for all consumers regardless of their orientation. Of course the artists may truly support what they are saying to the public, but that is not always the case.

Jester Head
29-02-12, 10:33
They are marketing themselves to gays and capitalizing from them, yes. But that's the point of marketing anyways, so I don't see what the matter seems to be.

jackali
29-02-12, 10:37
Of course they do. Any musicians, female or otherwise, use their fans to get sales. They target their music at an audience so that audience will buy it. That's how the music industry works. :confused:

Admles
29-02-12, 10:59
Of course they do. Any musicians, female or otherwise, use their fans to get sales. They target their music at an audience so that audience will buy it. That's how the music industry works. :confused:
Exactly.

At the end of the day, they are in this for the money. Whatever sells, they'll do that.

scremanie
29-02-12, 11:26
No.