PDA

View Full Version : Fasting

CiaKonwerski
29-02-12, 03:42
Have you ever attempted to fast before, if so how well did it go? Would you ever try it? For spiritual or other reasons.

My sister fasted once. I think I may begin tomorrow. Perhaps not full on fasting (cutting food and drink), but I might try to cut food and drink water.

TRULuverzz
29-02-12, 03:45
I've fasted before because I grew up in a muslim family. Even though I'm no longer a muslim, I still fast considering I still live with my mother xD

EmeraldFields
29-02-12, 03:48
I've had to fast 24 hours before surgery, but other than that, no.

CiaKonwerski
29-02-12, 03:50
I've fasted before because I grew up in a muslim family. Even though I'm no longer a muslim, I still fast considering I still live with my mother xD

Is it...healthy?

voltz
29-02-12, 03:52
I imagine fasting for diabetics is a real @^$%#! :(

Ikas90
29-02-12, 03:59
I have fasted before. I grew up in an Orthodox Christian family, and our usual time for fasting is Easter. Fasting can be good for the soul and body, but I believe you can and should do it at any time of the year you please. Even multiple times.

CiaKonwerski
29-02-12, 04:00
I have fasted before. I grew up in an Orthodox Christian family, and our usual time for fasting is Easter. Fasting can be good for the soul and body, but I believe you can and should do it at any time of the year you please.

So it isn't unhealthy to fast? Are there any sort of measure to take before fasting?

Ikas90
29-02-12, 04:10
So it isn't unhealthy to fast? Are there any sort of measure to take before fasting?

I wouldn't say unhealthy. Unless you're depriving yourself of that food for extended periods of time. In ways, it can be beneficial by giving your body a break from certain nutrients if you're having too much of it. Like chocolate; if you have it every day, you would think it would be healthy to stop eating it for a while, wouldn't you?

Tombraiderx08
29-02-12, 04:12
I've only ever done it before bloodwork :p

TRULuverzz
29-02-12, 04:30
Is it...healthy?

I'm not sure but I don't think it affects out heath, we usually eat again in the evening contrary to what some people may believe :)

aktrekker
29-02-12, 07:01
If done properly, fasting can detoxify the body, help with weight loss, help prevent degenerative mental problems like Alzheimer's, and possibly increase your lifespan.
http://www.webmd.com/diet/fasting
http://articles.latimes.com/2009/feb/02/health/he-fasting2
http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/exchange/node/1834
http://w.nwpf.org/News.aspx?Item=3941

Admles
29-02-12, 07:03
Is it...healthy?
Yeah, just don't over do it.

Human bodies can go a while without food; it's one of the reasons we store body fat. Just make sure you don't do it for too long, and when you are ready to come off it, don't stuff your body with crap.

Oh, and keep up your water intake.

Goose
29-02-12, 08:17
I'd say its best to stick to the 3 squares a day of good food, with the 5 fruit n veg, right amount of water, maybe go as far as the 5 smaller meals a day doctors say is best for our health.

Why 'detox' when you can just not over do toxins in the first place.

Archetype
29-02-12, 08:59
Yeah... I do it every now and again to spend long periods of time praying.

It's great.

Cochrane
29-02-12, 09:05
In the sense of not eating before a medical procedure and similar, sure. But that's not really the point of the thread, is it?

Our ethics class had a project a while back where each student went without something (it was up to us what specifically) for I think a month, and at the end we wrote an essay about our experience. I didn't, wrote an essay explaining why, and got the german equivalent of an "A". But that teacher was a bit funny anyway. :D

So no, I never fasted or refused anything I'd normally do/use/take for spiritual reasons. I never really saw the point.

klona
29-02-12, 10:40
I'm muslim, and I fast. :D

Zelda master
29-02-12, 12:01
I imagine fasting for diabetics is a real @^$%#! :(

Well those people (if they are muslim, and if it's type 1) are not even allowed to participate, if you have an illness that might pervent it in any way you shouldnt participate. I used to do it every year, but last year I skipped due to very strong headache's and I had to take pills along with food so I skipped a year. If my head will be all fine this year I will do it again for a month, but seeing how my head is still pounding quite often I doubt it will happen again...

Is it...healthy?
As long as your not overdoing it, yes. There are ofcourse people that stuff themselfs to the max in the morning and in the evening, that's unhealty ofcourse. But if even normally in the morning and evening, it's healty and has many upside's :)

CiaKonwerski
29-02-12, 13:23
So...I have not eaten anything yet today. I am a bit confused. I thought fasting consisted of not eating or drinking anything. However, I am only drinking water (which from another source I read was okay). But then some of you talk about eating a little something at night when fasting. So you can eat food, like raw vegetables or something later in the day, and that's it? Is that still considered fasting?

Liara
29-02-12, 13:28
I grew up in an Orthodox Christian family, and our usual time for fasting is Easter.
Same here, though I can't say I've fasted for spiritual reasons, mostly because my folks said we should do it as a family and whatnot. It doesn't agree with me, though. If I skip eating meat for a few days I start feeling lightheaded, weak and basically go into zombie mode. Though, being anemic all my life might have something to do with that. :pi:

I am a bit confused. I thought fasting consisted of not eating or drinking anything.
There are different kinds of fasting, from what I know. You can either go without food or water or, what's more common around here, just not eat meat and dairy.

patriots88888
29-02-12, 14:02
My body (and mind) are used to only 1 meal/day so (according to what some in this thread have described as fasting) I do it every day. There have been times (about a half dozen or maybe more) where I have gone up to 3 days without anything besides water. It was more for personal reasons/choice than anything spiritual.

Zelda master
29-02-12, 15:20
So...I have not eaten anything yet today. I am a bit confused. I thought fasting consisted of not eating or drinking anything. However, I am only drinking water (which from another source I read was okay). But then some of you talk about eating a little something at night when fasting. So you can eat food, like raw vegetables or something later in the day, and that's it? Is that still considered fasting?

Depends in the Islam your not allowed to drink, I'm not sure about judism, but I think it's not allowed for them either.

TRfan23
29-02-12, 15:39
365 days worth of Ramadan would probably somewhat solve the obesity problem in the UK :mis:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fasting is good for you providing you do it right, I've never done it but I like the sound of it tbh :tmb:

Avalon SARL
29-02-12, 15:41
I am Muslim and I fast.

Aside from the benefits of fasting (Ask the doctors about that); fasting also plays a role in reminding people of the very poor people and those who barely have a piece if bread to eat or a cup of water to drink;

that is why when we break the fast at every sunset we thank GOD for the very wonderful boons He bestowed upon us.

And one of the very main rules during Fasting is that we have to remind ourselves that Fasting is not to cut eating and drinking, but it is to stop saying bad words and hurting other people and talking nonsense

Mad Tony
29-02-12, 15:41
Depends in the Islam your not allowed to drink, I'm not sure about judism, but I think it's not allowed for them either.Not even water?

That's pretty dangerous.

Avalon SARL
29-02-12, 15:43
Not even water?

That's pretty dangerous.

Why would it be dangerous...

Depending on the season, it may be on the longest day for about 15 hours.

In the end it is a test.

How can fasting be Fasting if you will be able to drink water :confused:

Mad Tony
29-02-12, 15:44
Why would it be dangerous...

Depending on the season, it may be on the longest day for about 15 hours.

In the end it is a test.

Ho can fasting be Fasting if you will be able to drink water :confused:I was asking if not even water was allowed, hence my "that's dangerous" comment if that is indeed the case.

If water is allowed then fair enough, although I still don't think it's all that good for you.

Avalon SARL
29-02-12, 15:49
I was asking if not even water was allowed, hence my "that's dangerous" comment if that is indeed the case.

If water is allowed then fair enough, although I still don't think it's all that good for you.

I hope you are not mixing Christian way of Fasting with Muslim way of fasting.

We break the fast every sunset, but we are allowed to eat and drink. our day/night become normal like any other day and we can still eat and drink up till dawn till when the first prayer starts.

People always wake up before the prayer by an hour and have something to eat and drink and then pray and fast, so basically everyone can endure it.

Unless someone is sick; people with diabetics or other diseases, or those who have certain conditions and need to take medication are forgiven and they can fast again when they get better at any date they choose :)

Zelda master
29-02-12, 15:49
Nope even water aint allowed, and it shouldn't be to dangerous. Depending on where and when you are fasting the days can be a challenge but it shouldn't be dangerous. And even if your body absolutely need it you can ofcourse eat and drink, there are always some exceptions (sickness, medication, etc). But if you eat and drink because you want to and break the fastingm then you have to redo the day :)

Mad Tony
29-02-12, 15:50
I was only asking a question! I wasn't mixing anything.

And yes, I know how Muslim fasting works.

Nope even water aint allowed, and it shouldn't be to dangerous. Depending on where and when you are fasting the days can be a challenge but it shouldn't be dangerous. And even if your body absolutely need it you can ofcourse eat and drink, there are always some exceptions. But if you eat and drink because you want to and break the fastingm then you have to redo the day :)To be fair that's pretty dangerous.

Avalon SARL
29-02-12, 15:54
I was only asking a question! I wasn't mixing anything.

And yes, I know how Muslim fasting works.

To be fair that's pretty dangerous.

What is dangerous about it:confused:

It has been going since the dawn of humanity

Mad Tony
29-02-12, 15:56
You don't think depriving yourself of water for half a day for a month is dangerous?

I think if people who want to do it that's fine, I'm just giving my opinion on that particular kind of fasting.

Moosey
29-02-12, 16:05
I'm jewish, but not really religous because my dad's a christian, so we fast only once a year. I usually eat or drink something if i'm not feeling well.

larafan25
29-02-12, 16:06
I've had to fast before going to the dentist.

Avalon SARL
29-02-12, 16:16
You don't think depriving yourself of water for half a day for a month is dangerous?

I think if people who want to do it that's fine, I'm just giving my opinion on that particular kind of fasting.

It has been happening for hundreds of years and no one has ever experienced such dangerous things. It is called perseverance and patience; it is a test; if you are not sick, you have to pass the test

Mad Tony
29-02-12, 16:19
It has been happening for hundreds of years and no one has ever experienced such dangerous things. It is called perseverance and patience; it is a test; if you are not sick, you have to pass the testErr, just because it's been happening for hundreds of years doesn't mean it's not dangerous.

I'm not saying that only fasting is dangerous (not all forms of fasting are dangerous anyway), just that going without water for that long is dangerous.

Catapharact
29-02-12, 16:25
Fasting has been a win/lose experience for me personally since I suffer from a mild case of hypoglycemia. So I need to clear up with my doctor first before going about doing it for a month. But the deed is not mandatory on those who are unable to fast due to medical, physical and mental complication.

What I find ironic is that students and workers who were fasting were actually noticeably more efficient in their tasks as compared to their counterparts. Amusing to say the least.

Mad Tony
29-02-12, 16:32
What I find ironic is that students and workers who were fasting were actually noticeably more efficient in their tasks as compared to their counterparts. Amusing to say the least.Perhaps that's more to do with the people themselves than the fasting? From personal experience I'm terrible at doing any kind of work if I'm not properly fed.

Avalon SARL
29-02-12, 16:34
Fasting is a very beneficial thing for the body;

it is like cleaning your house from filth;

As to what Madtony is saying, I don't find any sense in it.

This year we fasted for over than 12 hours and I am agricultural engineer I have worked in the agricultural fields underneath the sun since 7 am up till 6 pm and i had not suffered of anything at all; I was very active actually

Perhaps that's more to do with the people themselves than the fasting? From personal experience I'm terrible at doing any kind of work if I'm not properly fed.

Rule number one in Fasting: Intention

Mad Tony
29-02-12, 16:35
Fasting is a very beneficial thing for the body;

it is like cleaning your house from filth;

As to what Madtony is saying, I don't find any sense in it.

This year we fasted for over than 12 hours and I am agricultural engineer I have worked in the agricultural fields underneath the sun since 7 am up till 6 pm and i had not suffered of anything at all; I was very active actuallyI never said all fasting was bad, all I'm saying is that not drinking anything from sunrise to sunset every day for a month is pretty dangerous. You may not have suffered but that doesn't mean it's not dangerous.

Catapharact
29-02-12, 16:41
I never said all fasting was bad, all I'm saying is that not drinking anything from sunrise to sunset every day for a month is pretty dangerous. You may not have suffered but that doesn't mean it's not dangerous.

No, you would be in the wrong there since on average, you need about 8 glasses of water per day. Depending upon the task that you are involved in, it shouldn't be all that dangerous since it only lasts till sunset. You just have to make sure that you have ample intake of electrolytes early in the morning.

If you are a construction worker for instance or are involved in a job that has tremendous physical strain on your body, then by default, you are exempt from fasting.

And at anytime through out the day, if there comes a period when you feel complications arising from lack of hydration, etc. you are allowed to break your fast and drink, eat, etc.

Avalon SARL
29-02-12, 16:43
I never said all fasting was bad, all I'm saying is that not drinking anything from sunrise to sunset every day for a month is pretty dangerous. You may not have suffered but that doesn't mean it's not dangerous.

Well, maybe you have a point, but I don't think it is something to lay much focus on, because it is very minor and ..

Other days we fast for less than 10 hours; it is all a means of passing the test in a matter of respect and love to GOD;

It is all an intention to do something

Mad Tony
29-02-12, 16:49
No, you would be in the wrong there since on average, you need about 8 glasses of water per day. Depending upon the task that you are involved in, it shouldn't be all that dangerous since it only lasts till sunset. You just have to make sure that you have ample intake of electrolytes early in the morning.

If you are a construction worker for instance or are involved in a job that has tremendous physical strain on your body, then by default, you are exempt from fasting.

And at anytime through out the day, if there comes a period when you feel complications arising from lack of hydration, etc. you are allowed to break your fast and drink, eat, etc.I don't think having lots in the morning can necessarily prevent dehydration.

Also, I know if complications do arise then you are to break the fast but what if people chose not to? All I'm pointing out is that it can be dangerous to go that long without drinking.

Well, maybe you have a point, but I don't think it is something to lay much focus on, because it is very minor and ..

Other days we fast for less than 10 hours; it is all a means of passing the test in a matter of respect and love to GOD;

It is all an intention to do somethingI'm not so sure it is minor.

And yes, I know people intentionally do it. I acknowledged this in a previous post.

Catapharact
29-02-12, 16:56
I don't think having lots in the morning can necessarily prevent dehydration.

Also, I know if complications do arise then you are to break the fast but what if people chose not to? All I'm pointing out is that it can be dangerous to go that long without drinking.

Tony... Have a read:

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Health/20110715/water-drink-advice-mccartney-110717/

Seriously... This is a case of Fact vs. Opinion here. And your opinion is wrong.

And if they choose not to, then they are by default breaking a creed of their own religion that states that you have to be kind to your own body since its a gift from God. So they are not doing themselves any religious favours by intentionally placing harm on their bodies without getting any gain out of it.

The spiritual side of fasting is to remind ourselves that there are those unfortunates out there who are starving and thirsty WITHOUT end. We get to break our fast at sunset... They don't.

You are not doing yourself any spiritual benifit from passing out through dehydration or lack of nutrients.

Cochrane
29-02-12, 17:04
365 days worth of Ramadan would probably somewhat solve the obesity problem in the UK :mis:

From what I hear, at least in Turkey, food consumption actually goes up during Ramadan, because the breaking of the fast at the end of the day becomes a huge feast. I'm not sure whether that really matches the intentions of Ramadan…

Mad Tony
29-02-12, 17:07
Tony... Have a read:

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Health/20110715/water-drink-advice-mccartney-110717/

Seriously... This is a case of Fact vs. Opinion here. And your opinion is wrong.

And if they choose not to, then they are by default breaking a creed of their own religion that states that you have to be kind to your own body since its a gift from God. So they are not doing themselves any religious favours by intentionally placing harm on their bodies without getting any gain out of it.

The spiritual side of fasting is to remind ourselves that there are those unfortunates out there who are starving and thirsty WITHOUT end. We get to break our fast at sunset... They don't.

You are not doing yourself any spiritual benifit from passing out through dehydration or lack of nutrients.Hey, I never said I subscribed to the view that you needed at least 8 glasses of water a day.

My opinion is simply that not drinking water from sunrise to sunset for an entire month can be dangerous. That's all. I never said fasting in general was dangerous nor do I think those who do fast are risking their lives (or anything as drastic as that).

Zelda master
29-02-12, 17:14
From what I hear, at least in Turkey, food consumption actually goes up during Ramadan, because the breaking of the fast at the end of the day becomes a huge feast. I'm not sure whether that really matches the intentions of Ramadan…

Which is something that's not supposed to be done, that's what the Eid Al-Fitr (Sugarfest) is for. Yes eating with family and friends after you may start eating is great and that's what you are supposed to do, but you're not supposed to make a giant dinner out of it. That would sort off defeat the purpose of fasting wouldn't it..?

Catapharact
29-02-12, 17:28
That would sort off defeat the purpose of fasting wouldn't it..?

Well not exactly if that dinner happens to encompass a lot of members from the whole community together :p.

I have this habit of doing a huge Iftar dinner during Ramadan on a bi-weekly basis in my house (both formal and informal) with my neighbors, co-workers and friends and what I have personally observed is that non-Muslims in particular always look forward to the big feast :p.

So in a way, it brings the whole community together and breaks up any unwarranted misconceptions about different faiths and beliefs. Well that and I get to try out new dishes and see if they win over the guests :p.

Reggie
29-02-12, 17:59
Is it against the rules to just eat while its dark and sleep when its daytime? You could just have breakfast when the sun goes down and have your dinner at 3am or something like that :p

I do believe 8 glasses of water is optimum for the human body but the point of fasting like this is not for health but for the spirit and religion itself. So I respect that while getting really thirsty isn't good for you, there's a perceived good reason for doing so (I say perceived because I'm not religious myself).

Dark Lugia 2
29-02-12, 18:01
Fasting is healthy as long as it is done properly. If it wasn't healthy then it wouldn't be advised before some blood tests.

I see Ramadan as a bit over the top because you can't drink water, but I respect why Muslims go along with it. Though most Muslims over here seem to defeat and miss the point by eating as much as they can after fasting, a lot of people here actually gain weight during Ramadan, despite knowing the religion says not to :/
I used to fast with my family but don't anymore as my high metabolism means I lose so much weight and I need water all day long for my eczema.

Reggie
29-02-12, 18:09
I can't see how fasting is healthy - at best, 'not unhealthy' if you get what I'm saying.

The body is scientifically proven to function at its very best on six small meals a day + at least 8 glasses of water throughout that time.

The reason those people are gaining weight is because the pattern of fasting and then eating loads makes the body go into fat storing mode as a means of survival as the body thinks it must now store nutrients as fat reserves.

Btw I'm not saying Muslims shouldn't fast or am casting judgement on their religion in any way, just don't agree with the notion that fasting is healthy - especially when it comes to no water.

patriots88888
29-02-12, 18:24
Many things can be seen as potentially dangerous/harmful... such as snowboarding, skiing, mountain climbing, etc... but peeps choose to do them anyways (for whatever their personal reasons for that are). So I don't really see much point in mentioning that (in reference to water/fasting) other than to state the obvious.

amore-guy
29-02-12, 18:33
One of the mostimportant points is that, food is also poisonous (In a way), the body will need a break from time to time if you know what I mean. This is why fasting is considered a way to purge your system:)

Reggie
29-02-12, 18:39
Many things can be seen as potentially dangerous/harmful... such as snowboarding, skiing, mountain climbing, etc... but peeps choose to do them anyways (for whatever their personal reasons for that are). So I don't really see much point in mentioning that (in reference to water/fasting) other than to state the obvious.
Because I didn't agree with a lot of comments saying its an outright healthy thing to do. I'm just posting my opinion because well...its a forum? (You were the one saying peeps shouldn't be afraid to say what they think am I right?). Never said it was dangerous, I said it is at best, 'not unhealthy'. Fasting appears to me, to be neutral on the body if done right (and without health defects) and yes, purging/detoxifying is a valid reason on health grounds - although a month is unnecessary for that purpose alone.
One of the mostimportant points is that, food is also poisonous (In a way), the body will need a break from time to time if you know what I mean. This is why fasting is considered a way to purge your system:)
Fair enough. You don't need a month to do that but point taken. :)

Tombcool
29-02-12, 18:41
I do not like fasting, I do not do it anymore...I gain a ton of weight.

jackles
29-02-12, 18:42
I imagine going without water in the day is not so different than not drinking at night-time.

We have little kids who fast at school and it can be hard for them as their friends are obviously not so we arrange for them to spend their breaks in a quiet area if they want....of course some choose not to, but the option is there. (or they fast alternate days) All of them get up early to eat breakfast before sun rise and have big meals at sunset.

Personally I can understand fasting for religious reasons but if I was detoxing then I would make sure that I was drinking juice and water unless it was for medical reasons.

NRO.
29-02-12, 18:43
I tried, but ended up binging on Kinder Bueno shortly after. xD

StefanJ94
29-02-12, 18:48
Every time there's fasting I seem to ruin it first thing in the morning. :vlol: But it's not like I did it intentionally...and it's not like I care about it :o I eat what I want to. It's hard to get me off my daily dose of sweets and candy and more sweets :o

Mad Tony
29-02-12, 18:53
Because I didn't agree with a lot of comments saying its an outright healthy thing to do. I'm just posting my opinion because well...its a forum? (You were the one saying peeps shouldn't be afraid to say what they think am I right?). Never said it was dangerous, I said it is at best, 'not unhealthy'. Fasting appears to me, to be neutral on the body if done right (and without health defects) and yes, purging/detoxifying is a valid reason on health grounds - although a month is unnecessary for that purpose alone.Agreed. This thread is about fasting and people are simply giving their opinion. I don't see the problem.

Zelda master
29-02-12, 19:02
I do not like fasting, I do not do it anymore...I gain a ton of weight.

Then I assume you were one of those that would stuff themselfs in the morning and evening :p

patriots88888
29-02-12, 19:29
Because I didn't agree with a lot of comments saying its an outright healthy thing to do. I'm just posting my opinion because well...its a forum? (You were the one saying peeps shouldn't be afraid to say what they think am I right?).

Sure, I would agree with that. I just happen to think that the more interesting aspect to this topic/discussion is why peeps (those who do so for spiritual reasons) choose to do so regardless of any (potential) risk to their health. I believe it speaks quite resoundingly of their devotion to their particular beliefs.

Never said it was dangerous, I said it is at best, 'not unhealthy'

Well, that is playing the semantics card at its finest there. (Fasting is) 'At best, not unhealthy' isn't really any different to (fasting) 'can be potentially dangerous/harmful' (to the body). :p

Reggie
29-02-12, 19:50
Sure, I would agree with that. I just happen to think that the more interesting aspect to this topic/discussion is why peeps (those who do so for spiritual reasons) choose to do so regardless of any (potential) risk to their health. I believe it speaks quite resoundingly of their devotion to their particular beliefs.

Well, that is playing the semantics card at its finest there. (Fasting is) 'At best, not unhealthy' isn't really any different to (fasting) 'can be potentially dangerous/harmful' (to the body). :p
That's fair enough - I know there is often a religious aspect to fasting and I agree it does say a lot for someones devotion to their beliefs and that's commendable. :tmb:

I've studied a mixture of philosophy, linguistics, foreign languages and English over the years, if there's one thing I've learned its that making a semantic distinction in debates can be vital i.e. say what you mean, mean what you say. :D

Catracoth
29-02-12, 20:43
I think I may begin tomorrow. Perhaps not full on fasting (cutting food and drink), but I might try to cut food and drink water.

For what purpose...?

benjamin_2010
29-02-12, 23:32
I wouldn't ever fast. I'm too busy eating tons and tons of unhealthy things.... :pi:

Life's too short. Eat whatever you crave while your metabolism can handle it. :)

Alpharaider47
29-02-12, 23:57
I've fasted for blood work and during stressful times, but other than that I tend not to. I don't have any particular interest in fasting, I'm not terribly religious these days, but things could change someday. We'll see :p

In general I think it's an interesting practice. Probably develops/fosters some good self control :p

voltz
01-03-12, 00:09
I'm trying to remember the last time when I went without eating for the day just because I didn't feel hungry.

CiaKonwerski
01-03-12, 03:27
For what purpose...?

Multiple reasons really, to detox my body, knowing that there are others who are unable to have food and I at times feel guilty eating a lot of it, weight loss, and kind of spiritual reasons I suppose.

Catracoth
01-03-12, 03:28
Multiple reasons really, to detox my body, knowing that there are others who are unable to have food and I at times feel guilty eating a lot of it, weight loss, and kind of spiritual reasons I suppose.

Lord, I'm definitely gluttonous then. :o

CiaKonwerski
01-03-12, 03:31
Lord, I'm definitely gluttonous then. :o

Haha. I want to try and focus more on other things, because it seems as if people spend a lot of time eating. Eating happens all throughout the day while doing other tasks. I want to focus my attention on more tasks and not take as much time to relax and eat, as I said, because there are those who do not get that luxury. I want to see if perhaps I will become more spiritual when I do do this. I went all day without eating until tonight, where I ate a tomato and something my father cooked, a low helping. Tomorrow however I wish to not eat at all and just drink the water again.

tampi
01-03-12, 11:05
I have tried fasting voluntarily and forcibly. The most useful conclusion I can get both circumstances is that it is an effective method of cleansing the body.

TRfan23
01-03-12, 22:56

Okay it's just that I've never seen a fat Muslim before XD

Even though they only do it for a month not for 365 days :p

Nerd For Life
02-03-12, 13:12
No. I can't function if I'm hungry.

scion05
02-03-12, 14:10
If you're doing it to lose weight it can likely lead to eating disorders. Cass Elliot apparently died because of her fasting caused the heart attack that killed her. Not a good idea.