PDA

View Full Version : I need help with an anorexic friend.

LadyLaraCroft2
29-02-12, 21:44
My best friend is anorexic and she only eats breakfast and dinner because her mother is around and barfs after dinner. She's been doing this for 2 weeks so far and I've told her mom but she doesn't believe me. I'm trying to help her as much as I can. How long would it be before she dies? I'm really worried about her so I need this as a deadline.

LaraDuh
29-02-12, 21:45
The title is lawl.

Tell that bitches mom straight up that her daughter isnt eating and make your friend say so too.

larafan25
29-02-12, 21:45
I personally don't know.

I could google it.

How much does she eat for breakfast and dinner (even thought she barfs that up)?

edit: Oh, apparently it can take several years...

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_long_can_you_be_anorexic_before_you_die

LadyLaraCroft2
29-02-12, 22:02
I personally don't know.

I could google it.

How much does she eat for breakfast and dinner (even thought she barfs that up)?

edit: Oh, apparently it can take several years...

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_long_can_you_be_anorexic_before_you_die

she eats 5 spoons of cereal with half a cup of milk, sometimes just a banana.
For dinner she eats 3 tbl spoons of rice with 2 tbl spoons of the curry her mom makes.

At least I have some time to help her and I'll do it as quickly as possible.

Lukass
29-02-12, 22:02
This is scary and lol at the title, really.

Tombraiderx08
29-02-12, 22:04
It can vary, i'd think. I had an anorexic friend once, she just didn't want to pms. Having a friend with anorexia is a hard thing to deal with. I hope she gets the help she needs :hug:

Carbon

It's quite serious for the person clearly, and as usual your getting your dig in at people? There's a time and a place.

LadyLaraCroft2
The title is lawl.

why is the title funny?

larafan25
29-02-12, 22:05
why is the title funny?

Because it sounds like you're contemplating something....like killing. It sounds funny.

But I'd tell her parent, so that she can get help.

Cochrane
29-02-12, 22:07
As a general rule, the danger of anorexia is not so much that the people actually starve to death, but that they get other (major) health problems because their body is too weak. A weakened body will not be able to handle illnesses as well; bones can become brittle, the liver may not be able to deal with the toxins that normally accumulate in the bloodstream and stuff like that.

In theory, a human who does not eat anything at all can expect to live about a month at most, as long as she drinks enough. But this isn't the case for an anorexic person, because they typically do take in some very small amount of food. Just not enough to stay healthy.

Carbon
29-02-12, 22:07
why is the title funny?

They don't quite understand that you could be going through quite a hard time, with almost losing a friend to a horrible mental illness… it's really nothing to joke about on a place like this.

Trolls will be trolls.

Lukass
29-02-12, 22:10
They don't quite understand that you could be going through quite a hard time, with almost losing a friend to a horrible mental illness… it's really nothing to joke about on a place like this.

Trolls will be trolls.

Oh, shut up!

LadyLaraCroft2
29-02-12, 22:11

Trolls will be trolls.

It is hard. I'm telling her other best friends. If they r really her friends they'd help me help her.

Carbon
29-02-12, 22:11
Oh, shut up!

I wouldn't throw stones in glass houses Lukass.

SkyPuppy
29-02-12, 22:12
Oh, shut up!

No, he's right, Lukass. I know you probably don't mean bad, but it really isn't something to joke about.

LadyLaraCroft2, I'm sorry to hear about your friend, but I really recommend telling her mother again, or talking to her, like really talking to her about it.

larafan25
29-02-12, 22:13
^Lukass isn't joking about the fact that this girl is anorexic, Lukass is joking about the thread title, it sounds funny. Anorexia is not funny, it sucks. For Carbon to even post that last bit was kind of unnecessary.

It is hard. I'm telling her other best friends. If they r really her friends they'd help me help her.

I think you should tell her mother, if you think she'd be supportive.

xXhayleyroxXx
29-02-12, 22:14
It depends on the person and how severe the anorexia is. I've had mild anorexia before and from experience, all you can do is be there for her. Maybe spend lots of time with her to make her happy -- don't make a big deal out of anything and try not to guilt trip. She really needs medical help but ultimately, its only her who can overcome it herself.

Rai
29-02-12, 22:16
I would think it depends on her weight now. Keep telling her mum and soon she will believe you. Also try telling someone else, like a teacher if you're still in school. Maybe they can have a word with the girl and/or her mother too. Your friend may not want help right now, but it's best to keep trying to nip this destructive behaviour to herself in the bud as soon as possible. This way, the potential damage to your friend's body with excessive weight loss can be lessened. The sooner she gets help, the better. The body can survive on little sustenance for a surprisingly long period of time, with any damage taking time to have noticeable effect.

I hope your friend can get the help she needs soon and I hope she realises what a good friend you're being now. :hug: And Hayley's right, you can be there for her ans try and be supportive about anything that may be troubling her, whilst still letting adults know what's going on.

Carbon
29-02-12, 22:16
^Lukass isn't joking about the fact that this girl is anorexic, Lukass is joking about the thread title, it sounds funny. Anorexia is not funny, it sucks. For Carbon to even post that last bit was kind of unnecessary.

What, and being the second person to joke about the title of a serious thread and tell another member to shut up is necessary?

Don't think so!.

larafan25
29-02-12, 22:17
What, and being the second person to joke about the title of a serious thread and tell another member to shut up is necessary?

Don't think so!.

This is unnecessary, and calling the members "trolls" and giving a reason for what they did is unnecessary. Literally, it's just a funny sounding thread title. That is all.

We should stop though, as we're not adding anything.

Carbon
29-02-12, 22:20
This is unnecessary, and calling the members "trolls" and giving a reason for what they did is unnecessary. Literally, it's just a funny sounding thread title. That is all.

We should stop though, as we're not adding anything.

When did we start? :) Truth hurts, and I was mainly aiming it at Lukass, since he always makes some sort of post that pushes the boundaries a little.

Anyway, contact me via PM if you want to continue this either of you, as we shall stop ;)

Apathetic
29-02-12, 22:27
"I need this as a deadline"

Greenapple968
29-02-12, 22:53
Right, I need to be honest and open.

Being anorexic is incredibly unhealthy and dangerous, but from the sounds of things your friend isn't in a dangerous position, yet.

Have you tried to get her medical help? I really think that is an absolute must. Showing her that you're there for her is vital, but you're already doing that.

Contacting a doctor is the most advisable thing to do from my viewpoint, they can encourage her to eat more and give her the help she needs. I lost a close friend back in June, I really don't want you to go through what I went through.

Encore
29-02-12, 23:13
My recommendation?

Make your friend watch this movie (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0986233/).

benjamin_2010
29-02-12, 23:14
I thought the thread title was funny. It's an odd way of asking such a question lol. Get over it :p

Annyyywayyyy, let's back up. Why is your friend anorexic (she sounds bulemic too) in the first place? I had a relative who was bulemic for a while to quickly lose a lot of weight, it's such an unhealthy way. It can affect your body forever!

Edit:

I don't think she needs a doctor's help. I have had times where I was possibly anorexic (I am already underweight too..) just because I was concerned that I wasn't eating healthy. So I just stopped eating pretty much (so much healthier, right?). Or I would totally lose my appetite and just not really eat anymore. But it was never for very long, you just get hungry eventually. How long has she been doing this? She will either reach a point where she is passing out and decides she wants to change, or her ravenous hunger will finally convince her to eat again.

"I need this as a deadline"

lmao.

LadyLaraCroft2
29-02-12, 23:22
I thought the thread title was funny. It's an odd way of asking such a question lol. Get over it :p

Annyyywayyyy, let's back up. Why is your friend anorexic (she sounds bulemic too) in the first place? I had a relative who was bulemic for a while to quickly lose a lot of weight, it's such an unhealthy way. It can affect your body forever!

Edit:

I don't think she needs a doctor's help. I have had times where I was possibly anorexic (I am already underweight too..) just because I was concerned that I wasn't eating healthy. So I just stopped eating pretty much (so much healthier, right?). Or I would totally lose my appetite and just not really eat anymore. But it was never for very long, you just get hungry eventually. How long has she been doing this? She will either reach a point where she is passing out and decides she wants to change, or her ravenous hunger will finally convince her to eat again.

I'm trying to figure out why and i'm very unsuccessful. She's really worrying me.

Apathetic
29-02-12, 23:24
I'm trying to figure out why and i'm very unsuccessful. She's really worrying me.

How old is your friend?

Dennis's Mom
01-03-12, 00:33
Ok, children, Mommy has changed the thread title so can we all stop pretending that the thread title is the subject of the thread, or that people who comment on the title need to be commented on?

*sigh* I wish I could find it amusing that people think they're solving the problem by perpetuating the problem, but it just makes me a sad panda.

Meanwhile, back on topic . . . .

Anorexia is slow suicide. Literally. Your friend is depressed and needs help. Speak to her mother.

LadyLaraCroft2
01-03-12, 00:41
How old is your friend?

She's 14 and 5'7"

Encore
01-03-12, 02:10
Ok, children, Mommy has changed the thread title

http://i.imgur.com/zJQTMs.jpg

t-raider26
01-03-12, 03:15
Throw cheeseburgers at her until she finally eats one of them.

No but seriously, have you tried talking to her about it? Maybe if you discuss the health risks with her, it could help. Or try and prove it to her mother, so that she can help her daughter?

FourBalls
01-03-12, 04:57
This could be a phase, seeing as it's only been going on for 2 weeks and she's 14. But you need to make sure it doesn't develop into a chronic illness. Try and reason with her, make her see what she's doing to herself. Honestly, getting her to go to a therapist would be a good idea. Although yeah, at the end of the day, it is her that needs to figure things out for herself. Hopefully she does :)

robm_2007
01-03-12, 05:01
If you are in school, tell the school counselor. Tell her parents and siblings. If they don't believe you, ask them why they don't believe you. They might know or suspect it but be in denial.

EscondeR
01-03-12, 05:13
Tell her mother... if she [mother] is stupid enough to listen not, then try somehow show her how her daughter "gets rid of the dinner" - this will kick some common sense in I'm sure.

But the root of the issue is some psychological problem. Does she [your friend] think she is overweight? How much does she weigh being 5'7" tall?
Anyway the root must be eliminated first, otherwise you can't fight the consequences successfully.

@ Encore: What's so surprising? As far as I noticed the thread wasn't moving a mature/civilized/ontopic way before Dennis's Mom stepping in.

TippingWater
01-03-12, 06:27
My best friend is anorexic and she only eats breakfast and dinner because her mother is around and barfs after dinner. She's been doing this for 2 weeks so far and I've told her mom but she doesn't believe me. I'm trying to help her as much as I can. How long would it be before she dies? I'm really worried about her so I need this as a deadline.

That means that she's bulimic.

skylark1121
01-03-12, 06:39
I don't know why some people aren't taking this thread very seriously. :confused:

It's clear that she has a problem. If she is at the early stages of starving herself AND going through Bulimia, it's a big deal.
It may not seem so at first, because the body's first reaction to starvation is actually a weight gain. So, that makes the anorexic person feel as if they're getting fatter (which they are to an extent, but their mind exxagerates it). So, they keep starving themselves, because they don't think they're getting results. When they start to get thin, they don't see it -- that's part of the psychological disease (appearing fatter in the anorexic's eyes than he/she truly is).

Tell her mother. You have to be sure that her mother takes action, because you would be very surprised at how kiniving people with eating disorders can be. I've known a few girls with eating disorders. One of the parents of the girl I knew found out she was bulimic and told her to stop it. They thought she had stopped, but she was secretly throwing up into plastic bags and hiding those bags in the back of her closet. When it came time to weigh in, she stuffed her underwear with rolls of coins and put ankle weights around her thighs under her clothing. No one was gonna look there. Well, she got really sick and had to go to the hospital and nearly died. Then, she had to go to rehab. After she was there for a few months, she came back. She still had an eating disorder. She was hospitalized three times, and has developed a chronic blood disorder from it.

It just goes to show how important it is that this isn't taken lightly. :)

LadyLaraCroft2
02-03-12, 01:49
If you are in school, tell the school counselor. Tell her parents and siblings. If they don't believe you, ask them why they don't believe you. They might know or suspect it but be in denial.

good idea. I've been working on it

Tell her mother... if she [mother] is stupid enough to listen not, then try somehow show her how her daughter "gets rid of the dinner" - this will kick some common sense in I'm sure.

But the root of the issue is some psychological problem. Does she [your friend] think she is overweight? How much does she weigh being 5'7" tall?
Anyway the root must be eliminated first, otherwise you can't fight the consequences successfully.

she won't tell me her weight no matter how much I ask her. She keeps saying she'll tell me when she reaches a "better" weight. I'm going for a sleepover with her and I'm going to tape verything with my phone. It's lense will poke out of my breast pocket so she won't be suspicious. Lordy, this sounds like a spy thing now.

Shark_Blade
02-03-12, 01:53
Anything that'll help will be good I guess.

Good luck with your "spy mission".

robm_2007
02-03-12, 02:55
How long will your phone's recording time last? You might not be able to get anything "incriminating." But it is a good idea.

EscondeR
02-03-12, 06:08
she won't tell me her weight no matter how much I ask her. She keeps saying she'll tell me when she reaches a "better" weight. I'm going for a sleepover with her and I'm going to tape verything with my phone. It's lense will poke out of my breast pocket so she won't be suspicious. Lordy, this sounds like a spy thing now.

Be ready that she will be damn angry with you for that... and telling mom as well.
BUT better save a friend, loose her temporarily even [as a friend] and then talk it with her, than loose her completely [as a living person] :ohn:

LadyLaraCroft2
02-03-12, 12:06
Be ready that she will be damn angry with you for that... and telling mom as well.
BUT better save a friend, loose her temporarily even [as a friend] and then talk it with her, than loose her completely [as a living person] :ohn:

Soooo true. Sleepover's, today. Can't wait.

Nerd For Life
02-03-12, 13:03
Of course people here wouldn't take it seriously. I'm not surprised.

The best you can do for your friend is be there for her. You need to realise that eating disorders are mental illnesses and most people take a while to recover and get over them. I wish her the best and hope she recovers.