PDA

View Full Version : Time to Occupy Universities

Solice
01-03-12, 02:00
I just got my tuition bill, one class is now almost $3000:look::eek:.

I am not looking for sympathy, I work full time and can pay as I go. Also, I only have five classes left to finish my grad degree. But I am thinking of the multitudes of undergrads who need 120 hours or more credits to just get their first college degree.

Schools have been jacking up tuition times squared for many years, counting on students to get ever increasing loans to attend. And these loans are scary; you can't go bankrupt to get rid of them, and if you can't pay, the interest mounts up. A student would be better off getting a loan from the Godfather.

I must say, these Uni's are clever toads. They employ six figure professors, masquerading as social do-gooders (like Bill Ayers), to convince students with huge tuition debts and grim prospects for a career that it's the Wall Street bankers that are to blame for their plight. I don't know if any Occupiers have picked up on this yet, let's hope so. Uni is one big swindle that has stayed out of site.

Here (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/22/college-debt_n_471023.html?ref=college#s73160&title=Jennifer_Dessinger_34) is a regular segment on the Huffington Puffington Post that tells the story.

voltz
01-03-12, 02:05
You know..... I've been asking myself what exactly is all that money going to?

Unnecessary programs? Pocketed expenses? What?

Alpharaider47
01-03-12, 02:09
:vlol: I pay $20,000 for 3 quarters. But I feel like I'm getting what I pay for. We have top notch professors(unless you're in the Chem or Math department) and my Uni is pretty well known and liked abroad. I've gotten a number of field school opportunities from being a student here. I'm also able to finally study Archaeology (my major).

It sucks that it's so expensive, but that's the cost of education these days. There are some decent loans out there, which are very flexible and affordable- I've had to get a few. And there are a ****load of scholarships, you just have to actually get out there and look. I would rather that people not occupy colleges, because even if they lower tuition rates, that money has to be made up somewhere. I would much rather pay a lot of money and get an excellent education with a number of privileges like I do here, than pay a smaller amount for a second-rate education with no amenities. Some schools are definitely more expensive than they need to be (I'm looking at you, California), but there quite a few that are affordable and top notch.

Ikas90
01-03-12, 02:09
You're better off working at McDonald's. At least you won't get into massive debt that way.

It's hard to get the job you want, even after obtaining a degree.

Alpharaider47
01-03-12, 02:12
You're better off working at McDonald's. At least you won't get into massive debt that way.

It's hard to get the job you want, even after obtaining a degree.

I think that that really depends on the job you want though.

voltz
01-03-12, 02:18
But really, are you sure you're able to land a career in that field? One of the worst mistakes when taking further education is wasting time on a subject and realizing there's nothing to make the most of it.

benjamin_2010
01-03-12, 02:24
I don't know. Yes, the prices are extreme, even at state universities. But the solution is not to work at McDonalds lol. There are a lot of things you can learn by going to college; I used to be quite anti-university, in lieu of being a student at one. However, now that I am halfway through earning my bachelor's degree, I think it'll be worth it in the long run.

It is a deathwish in some sorts, though. College debts cannot be forgiven under any circumstances (at least in the U.S.). If you get a federal loan from the government, they will get that money somehow. They'll come after your possessions, house, etc. if they must. =/

Idk. I wish it wasn't so expensive but what are you going to do? I don't think any of the occupy protests have been extremely successful. Are there any left?

Alpharaider47
01-03-12, 02:29
But really, are you sure you're able to land a career in that field? One of the worst mistakes when taking further education is wasting time on a subject and realizing there's nothing to make the most of it.

Well I don't think anything is certain. But there are quite a few career fields where having a degree will get you a lot farther than if you don't.

I just think it's foolish to write off higher education simply because it's expensive and you may or may not get the job you want. College/University is not just about education and careers. There's a lot that you can learn by simply attending, that goes far beyond what classes you're taking. I think that going to college and uni has been one of the best choices that I've made. I've already made excellent contacts in my career field and have a very good shot at getting a job right off, but I've also had my eyes opened and my horizons broadened beyond the scope of school. I've learned a lot of helpful life lessons by being here. Things that working at McDonalds is not going to teach you.

TombRaiderFan.
01-03-12, 02:36
I applied for FAFSA but even that is sometimes not enough to cover insane costs, specially in my state! Plus, if your family makes over 100,000 they think you're rich or something...it's frustrating

benjamin_2010
01-03-12, 02:46
Where I live, if your family makes $100,000 a year it's like the equivalent of getting $1,000,000 a year (apparently). My mom just did mine for me today but I don't think I got any assistance last year, so not expecting any next year.

TombRaiderFan.
01-03-12, 03:01
Well here in California cost of living is way higher than most other states. ><

benjamin_2010
01-03-12, 03:05
Yeah I feel like it would be semi-difficult to get by on $100,000 in California (at least the parts I'd wanna live in).

Ok that's not totally true. I bet it's not that bad. But where I live you could have a pretty privileged lifestyle if you did things right on a $100,000/year salary.

TombRaiderFan.
01-03-12, 04:26
We get by well because we're pretty conservative with our spending, plus the fact we live in the suburbs of LA county where houses are not as ridiculously expensive. But that's the main problem when you transfer to an university, they're usually in major cities where rent is just extremely high...add that to the expensive tuition and you're going to find yourself having one meal a day lol.:hea: The system in the US is badly funded, we subsidize the **** out of oil and spend billions in war and nation-building overseas but let education slip. :(

scoopy_loopy
01-03-12, 07:05
Holy crap! $3k for ONE class? XD That's almost what I pay for my entire semester. !

Greenapple968
01-03-12, 11:32
You know, in a lot of people's minds University is overrated and a waste of time because a lot of people with degrees end up with average jobs, minimum paid jobs or even no jobs, but not always. Do you know roughly what job you want to do and will the degree course set you up for it? If not then I really don't see the point. The only reason why I've applied for University is because it will perfectly set me up with what I want to do.

Cochrane
01-03-12, 11:49
Wow, those are extreme prices. And to think that the students here went on the streets to protest tuition fees of 500€ per semester (they have since been abolished again).

igonge
01-03-12, 12:03
Come to Scotland to study, we don't have tuition fees for University here :p

Seriously, when I hear about people paying so many $$$$$$$ for tuition fees, it makes me faint. SO MUCH MONEY! :yik:

Mad Tony
01-03-12, 15:14
Makes me laugh when people here protest about 9,000 a year fees (which are perfectly manageable thanks to the student loan system).

Greenapple968
01-03-12, 19:07
Makes me laugh when people here protest about 9,000 a year fees (which are perfectly manageable thanks to the student loan system).

They'll still have to pay it back though. :)

Mad Tony
01-03-12, 19:20
They'll still have to pay it back though. :)Really? Wow, I never knew that...

:rolleyes:

Of course they have to pay it back, I was just pointing out that high fees don't hinder students because of the student loan system.

lara c. fan
01-03-12, 19:44

Something else to consider is part-time. My PSHCE teacher has actually done his studies while not using any loans by just doing it part-time and working at a job. He's going for a PhD now, I think.

moodydog
01-03-12, 20:05
Really? Wow, I never knew that...

:rolleyes:

Of course they have to pay it back, I was just pointing out that high fees don't hinder students because of the student loan system.

Its just another bundle to the oven of loans and payments we are going to be paying back throughout our working career.

I am really happy, I just got accepted into Surrey for engineering. :D

benjamin_2010
02-03-12, 00:23
Something else to consider is part-time. My PSHCE teacher has actually done his studies while not using any loans by just doing it part-time and working at a job. He's going for a PhD now, I think.

Part time? That would take twice as long though.. No way I could do that. Especially if you're going for a PhD, that would take like a decade to get it all done. no way Jose!

TRfan23
02-03-12, 00:39
They'll still have to pay it back though. :)

Only if you get over around 21 grand a year (it's actually slightly more than that but I don't remember the exact value). If you get less than that amount then you don't pay it back, but the chances of you never paying any of it back is literally zilch, unless you're a smart sneaky lazy 'benefit scrounger'... :pi:

Either way if you don't pay it all back within 15 years it gets scrapped ;)
At the end of the day it just means you'll be in debt for longer, the amount you pay back each month if I'm not mistaken isn't that much so it's not like you're going to be poor :tea:

Hence why I have no problem with the tuition fee raise here in the UK ;)

lara c. fan
02-03-12, 00:43
Hence why I have no problem with the tuition fee raise here in the UK ;)

It's a pain in the arse... But it's a manageable one. :p

jajay119
02-03-12, 00:45
I just got my tuition bill, one class is now almost $3000:look::eek:.

I am not looking for sympathy
Is that for a full year? That's not bad at all. I have payed 3000-3300 (roughly $6000) a year for the past 3 years, and next year I'll be paying 9000 (roughly $18000). I'm just glad we have maintenance and tuition fee loans here so we don't have to kill ourselves working to pay for it now.

Mad Tony
02-03-12, 00:46
Is that for a full year? That's not bad at all. I have payed 3000-3300 (roughly $6000) a year for the past 3 years, and next year I'll be paying 9000 (roughly $18000).The fee hike won't apply to you, unless you're starting a new course?

jajay119
02-03-12, 00:47
Yes I am.

Mad Tony
02-03-12, 00:48
Oh ok. I'm really lucky with my course because I got in just at the right time.

jajay119
02-03-12, 00:51
Well to be honest, I may be paying 9000 next year, but it's only a one year course being a PGCE. I class myself lucky that I will have got my main 4 year degree before the hike.

Reggie
02-03-12, 00:54
I would protest - not because of the money but because of the way I've been treated by my University.

jajay119
02-03-12, 00:59
^I can sympathise with this. To me, the most outrageous thing is not the price hike in itself but the fact that some universities, like mine, will still be offering the same sub-standard service for triple the price I'm not happy with paying now. If they offered a service that was worth 9000 I would have no qualm with paying it.

LaraCablara
02-03-12, 01:23
My college cried they have no money.

Built a chic new cafeteria with WIDE screen televisions and state of the art everything over the winter break.

:confused:

Yet lets completely ignore the broken escalators.

scoopy_loopy
02-03-12, 05:07
Well to be honest, I may be paying 9000 next year, but it's only a one year course being a PGCE. I class myself lucky that I will have got my main 4 year degree before the hike.

Yeah but you're in the UK, technically you don't have to pay at all until you meet an income requirement. Really unfair to bitch about your circumstances when Americans have it so much worse. :p

Solice
02-03-12, 05:50
Holy crap! $3k for ONE class? XD That's almost what I pay for my entire semester. !

My school is actually relatively inexpensive compared to other private grad programs. Carnegie Mellon and U Chicago are over 5K. Also, a number of MBA programs have reached 100k.