PDA

View Full Version : Man arrested for 4-year-old daughter drawing picture of gun in school

TR FAN 18
01-03-12, 20:25
FRXIYXNLX70

What... the... HELL?! :hea:

Catracoth
01-03-12, 20:29
Parenting.
You're doing it wrong.

matrix54
01-03-12, 20:30
I've drawn guns at school multiple times, and my mother has never been arrested. :confused:

Actually, I've drawn worse, and the only person to get in trouble was me. That's a bit extreme.

irishhips
01-03-12, 20:31
What happeneds if a kid draws Lara Croft with guns at school...will the parents get arrested for that?

robm_2007
01-03-12, 20:34
No. They'd arrest Karl Stewart.
---
Anyways, this is stupid, although, I tend to only read the titles of vids like these, as they usually are self-explanatory. If she drew a picture of a dead dog, would they send Animal Control to his house?

Tiddlyfish13
01-03-12, 20:35
That was definitely the stupidest thing I've heard that police have done. And the school is just as dumb for even reporting it! When I was four, I drew Lara Croft shooting wolves, raptors, T-Rexes, etc. and no one said ****...

Mikky
01-03-12, 20:35
Wow, lol.

Rai
01-03-12, 20:46
I can only assume the school reacted mostly on the girl's word's 'that's my daddy shooting burglars and monsters' (which in my eyes represents his protecting his family, and also the child seeing her daddy as a hero but...). So the school never even phoned the parents first, just went straight to social services? Boy, I got off lightly as a parent, my son was drawing guns and swords and crap throughout his childhood.

Mad Tony
01-03-12, 21:02
I used to draw guns in school all the time. To this day they're the only things I'm remotely good at drawing.

Ward Dragon
01-03-12, 21:10
That sounds like a bit of an overreaction. The police could have at least asked the guy about whether he had any guns, but to jump straight to arresting him and searching his home without any proof is rather extreme.

QiX
01-03-12, 21:21
OK. Kids souldn't be drawing guns at the age of four. But sentencing a father to four years in prison for a drawing made by his daughter in kindergarden? This is as long as what one gets for killing Michael Jackson.

http://i42.************/mv43zm.jpg

tomekkobialka
01-03-12, 21:32
Three words: Such is life. :(

Aphrodite22
01-03-12, 21:34
nnnooooo way O.o

Rai
01-03-12, 21:34
@Qix, the man was released wasn't he?

larafan25
01-03-12, 21:36
Silly.

Weemanply109
01-03-12, 21:37
That's some ****ed up ****. Completely taken overboard, there's no need for it.

irishhips
01-03-12, 21:40
It sounds the police got corrupted by too much power...and can do what ever they want.

QiX
01-03-12, 21:51
@Qix, the man was released wasn't he?

Oh, boy. A misread OP and there I go jumping to conclusions. My bad. Will try not to comment on videos without watching them fully from now on :cln:

Gracious Days
01-03-12, 21:51
"You're being charged with possession of a firearm, this scribble is all the evidence we need." :rolleyes:

People raise red flags before they even know if they really should. If there's some kind of policy with reporting these kinds of things and the teacher has to follow it, then I guess his/her hands are tied, but they really jumped the gun afterward, pun intended.

Ward Dragon
01-03-12, 22:21
"You're being charged with possession of a firearm, this scribble is all the evidence we need." :rolleyes:

People raise red flags before they even know if they really should. If there's some kind of policy with reporting these kinds of things and the teacher has to follow it, then I guess his/her hands are tied, but they really jumped the gun afterward, pun intended.

Yeah, the teacher was probably just following the school's protocol for dealing with situations like that and likely would have gotten into trouble if something happened later on and the school hadn't reported it. The police are the ones who should have handled it differently.

I'm very surprised that they arrested the father immediately without even talking to him first or finding any kind of real evidence that he had a gun (and I'm assuming that he didn't have a gun after all since they let him go). Plus the video makes it sound like they searched his home without a warrant and then got his written permission after the fact, so I would think that's a violation of his rights (although I don't know whether Canada has the same rights as the US).

Uzi master
01-03-12, 22:25
Plus the video makes it sound like they searched his home without a warrant and then got his written permission after the fact, so I would think that's a violation of his rights (although I don't know whether Canada has the same rights as the US).

Nah the police here are just incompetent, when I think of how many cases could've been prevented if they had listened to information they were given, or had gotten more information in the first place... :(

tomb rayder
01-03-12, 22:29
lol wtf? I've drawn guns in school and no one said anything.

scremanie
01-03-12, 22:50
I blame the principle.

patriots88888
02-03-12, 00:24
Thanks for reminding me why I have given up watching these 'news' channels.

Encore
02-03-12, 00:38
Thanks for reminding me why I have given up watching these 'news' channels.

Lol. Tell me about it. Lately I've been hearing way too many news about (what I perceive to be) overzealous law and order agents targeting all the wrong people. I don't get it.

Ikas90
02-03-12, 00:42
I used to draw guns at school. I loved drawing them.

Have I ever used a gun or shot anyone? No. Do I want to? No. Will I ever? No.

XtremeJenn
02-03-12, 02:22
LOL@people being so afraid of guns. People over there act like guns have arms and legs and walk around automatically firing themselves at random people. They're just guns. Inanimate objects. Tools. An axe would do more damage to a human being but people aren't as afraid of them. Or seeing someone holding one.

It makes no sense at all.

QiX
02-03-12, 03:42
LOL@people being so afraid of guns. People over there act like guns have arms and legs and walk around automatically firing themselves at random people. They're just guns. Inanimate objects. Tools. An axe would do more damage to a human being but people aren't as afraid of them. Or seeing someone holding one.

It actually makes sense when the fact brings up the suspition that a 4 yo girl may have seen her father's gun, may have seen him shooting it, thus leaning how to press a trigger to fire it, may have an irresponsible father, since if he allows a child to see his gun, learn how to fire it, probably learn where he keeps it, he may be also neglectful enough to eventually be unaware of her sneaking to the hideout, taking it in her backpack and carrying it to the school and even showing her friends her new finding and, well... You get the picture.

It wouldn't be the first time an "accident" like this would happen. They are police, paranoia is part of their job. It's their duty to expect for the worse.

TippingWater
02-03-12, 04:16
I blame the principle.

This:tmb:.

Uzi master
02-03-12, 04:38

Guns themselves are designed to kill, which makes them more frightening than any other "tool". Seeing as how bullets fly in a straight line at about a thousand KM/H I'd be more afraid of someone with a gun than the axe, with the axe they need to be next to me, and have a good swing. Not to mention someone walking around with an axe is probably doing logging or something, someone walks around with a gun, what purpose could they have that's constructive?

I do think guns are a problem but someone drawing one? that is overreacting. Had they had any proof he had a gun though, that's another story

It actually makes sense when the fact brings up the suspition that a 4 yo girl may have seen her father's gun, may have seen him shooting it, thus leaning how to press a trigger to fire it, may have an irresponsible father, since if he allows a child to see his gun, learn how to fire it, probably learn where he keeps it, he may be also neglectful enough to eventually be unaware of her sneaking to the hideout, taking it in her backpack and carrying it to the school and even showing her friends her new finding and, well... You get the picture.

It wouldn't be the first time an "accident" like this would happen. They are police, paranoia is part of their job. It's their duty to expect for the worse.

Suspicion being a key word, they should have gone through proper procedures if that. Simply asking the girl if her father had a gun in the first place would have solved it. Jumping from a small child's drawing (they do have wild imaginations, whats so far fetched about them imagining their parents fighting off bad guys?) to her bringing a gun to school and shooting up some kids is a step to far.

ajrich17901
02-03-12, 04:38
What happeneds if a kid draws Lara Croft with guns at school...will the parents get arrested for that?

I drew Lara all the time when I was really young in Grade school, I never got in trouble lmao.

interstellardave
02-03-12, 11:35

In your first sentence the words "probably" and "may" are used a combined 5 times. Neither of those words, in any context, should lead to anyone being suspected of anything. They are all inferences made about a drawing made by a child. To go from there to arresting the man and searching his home without a court order... well, I don't need to use the word "may"; that IS an abuse of power.

LNSNHGTDS
02-03-12, 12:36
O_________________________________________________ _____________________O

Say what now?!

This is ridiculous! I've been drawing Ivy from Soulcalibur lately, will my parents be arrested for trafficking?

Nerd For Life
02-03-12, 13:05
Well this is a bit of an overreaction.

tomee
02-03-12, 13:26
More and more ridiculous **** happen these days. What is wrong with people? Seriously? :confused:

Parenting.
Serving and protecting.
You're doing it wrong.

Fixed

QiX
02-03-12, 17:16
In your first sentence the words "probably" and "may" are used a combined 5 times. Neither of those words, in any context, should lead to anyone being suspected of anything. They are all inferences made about a drawing made by a child. To go from there to arresting the man and searching his home without a court order... well, I don't need to use the word "may"; that IS an abuse of power.

They overreacted, obviously. But I do see where they're coming from.

Rai
02-03-12, 18:18

I think the 'problem' in this case wasn't so much that the girl drew guns, but by her saying 'it's daddy shooting burglars and monsters', the teacher, followed by the principle etc must have felt that this meant daddy had a gun (or the insinuation was there). Drawing a fictional character who has guns may not have had the same effect and outcome. Though I can't be certain of that.