PDA

View Full Version : GameFly

Nausinous
11-03-12, 11:39
http://videogamerentalsinfo.com/gameflyfreetrial.jpg

Gamespy bought Direct2Drive and renamed it GameFly (What was wrong with the the original name?). This was some time ago but now they're now trying to rival Steam with a new client.

http://store.wired.com/system/photos/medium/Client_Home.jpg?1319760251

I seriously don't see how people are going to switch from Steam to Gamelfy, it's not like you can transfer your purchases and why would you want two separate digital game libraries? Your thoughts? I'm a bit enraged that they got rid of Direct2Drive, twas' such an awesome service.

scoopy_loopy
11-03-12, 11:49
Eugh this is stupid. Steam does a lot for building a community for PC gamers, having all these new clients just fragments it all.

Nausinous
11-03-12, 12:18
Plus this client they've released isn't as efficient as Steam, I bought one game from Direct2Drive and tried to download it from this client but its SO slow. I just wouldn't bother if I were them.

Legend of Lara
11-03-12, 12:44
Wasn't Gamefly already a thing?

Carbonek_0051
11-03-12, 14:16
Wasn't Gamefly already a thing?

Yup, it's a game rental site.

Catracoth
12-03-12, 17:34
GameFly is terrible.
Now they're expanding?
Christ save us.

Nausinous
12-03-12, 18:36
GameFly is terrible.
Now they're expanding?
Christ save us.

Exactly, you should see their 'Steam' client, its terrible!

Catracoth
12-03-12, 19:03
Exactly, you should see their 'Steam' client, its terrible!

I'm not surprised.

Carbonek_0051
13-03-12, 12:12
GameFly is terrible.
Now they're expanding?
Christ save us.

I kind of like GameFly. It's more reliable than Blockbuster.

Catracoth
13-03-12, 19:08
I kind of like GameFly. It's more reliable than Blockbuster.

I found Blockbuster Online to be more reliable than GameFly. :p
At least in my experience. Either way, both services were equally as crappy.

Weemanply109
13-03-12, 19:36
I seriously don't see how people are going to switch from Steam to Gamelfy, it's not like you can transfer your purchases and why would you want two separate digital game libraries? Your thoughts? I'm a bit enraged that they got rid of Direct2Drive, twas' such an awesome service.

I don't understand this segment of your post. Nobody expects their games to be transitioned from one service to another. Also Direct2Drive still exists, it's just renamed. The service is still the same.

A lot of people use separate digital libraries for sales, basically whoever has the lowest price is what people go for.

Tommy123
13-03-12, 20:24
ew gamefly.

Sir Croft
13-03-12, 20:43
Eugh this is stupid. Steam does a lot for building a community for PC gamers, having all these new clients just fragments it all.
They're hopping on the bandwagon, just like EA. The difference here is that EA has the power to say "My games are exclusive to Origin". GameFly doesn't, which means people won't even try it because there's no point.

I don't understand this segment of your post. Nobody expects their games to be transitioned from one service to another. Also Direct2Drive still exists, it's just renamed. The service is still the same.

A lot of people use separate digital libraries for sales, basically whoever has the lowest price is what people go for.
I really don't like having my game library scattered around different services. Every game I buy digitally, I buy through Steam, with the exception of Mass Effect 3 because I had no choice.

Nausinous
13-03-12, 21:31

The following ...

I really don't like having my game library scattered around different services. Every game I buy digitally, I buy through Steam, with the exception of Mass Effect 3 because I had no choice.

Weemanply109
13-03-12, 21:59
The following ...

I don't think that answers it, imo. I know plenty of people that use multiple services. You can't take one persons preference and claim it as fact or a majority opinion.