PDA

View Full Version : Fear of underwater gaming segments.

Lochnessx78
14-03-12, 03:49
Hi all, I have this issue that I want to get people's thoughts on. As you may have guessed from the title, I have this ridiculous fear of "swimming" in or under water in games. I don't mean going into a pool with a copy of Tomb Raider either
:p

I'm talking about controlling a character underwater. For some reason it damn-near paralyzes me. My hands get sweaty, I feel nervous and anxious. It's gotten to the point where I haven't even come close to finishing a game because I got an underwater segment thrown in my face. Truth be told, I've never even touched a TR game for this exact reason. I know I'm not the only one who has this issue either. A simple Google or Youtube search will reveal many people who feel the same way as I do. I just figured this would be a great thread to post if anyone else here has this issue, especially since TR is so heavy when it comes to such segments. Who knows, maybe someone can even help me get over this ridiculous fear.

SkyPuppy
14-03-12, 03:51
i can kind of relate. it doesn't get too bad, thankfully, but it does get to the point where i get a bit freaked out. same thing happens when i watch a movie or tv show as well.

Catracoth
14-03-12, 03:53
I've had a few issues playing some of the classic Tomb Raider games during underwater segments. Not so much the newer ones, although I was a little freaked out playing the first level in Underworld. *shudders* Damn kraken.

Tony9595
14-03-12, 04:01
^ I thought TRU did that terribly. I didn't fear about anything water related in that game, most of the time she had her oxygen tank and that eliminated the feeling of OMG I'm gonna kill her! D:. Plus that tentacle which seems to scare almost everyone was kind of lame to me, I mean, I could see it from far away, it was quite visible! :p

As for the most terrifying underwater moment, hmm... I'll say TR Chronicles, that siren thing that chased you in the Ireland levels was the most OMG NOOO PLEASE NOOOO I DON'T WANT TO DO IT! feeling I've ever had in a game. :vlol:

Sir Croft
14-03-12, 04:03
I swear I read "Fear of underwear gaming segments", which made me go "Wut?".

Lochnessx78
14-03-12, 04:12
^ I thought TRU did that terribly. I didn't fear about anything water related in that game, most of the time she had her oxygen tank and that eliminated the feeling of OMG I'm gonna kill her! D:. Plus that tentacle which seems to scare almost everyone was kind of lame to me, I mean, I could see it was quite visible!

Speaking of Underworld and that tentacle. That first mission in Underworld was the one that gave me the idea to post this thread. I watched my fiance' dive Lara off of her boat into the middle of the Mediterranean and swim straight down what seemed to be about a quarter of a million miles. I was having a mental breakdown, and he's just playing it like "what's wrong?" Made me angry :p

Catracoth
14-03-12, 04:16
^ Sorry about that. :vlol:

Lochnessx78
14-03-12, 04:26
I swear I read "Fear of underwear gaming segments", which made me go "Wut?".

WOW! I read this reply and I was like, "I don't get it, is he making fun of me for having this dumb fear?" I thought you just copied my title. Then after reading it about nine times I realized you typed "underwear" and not "underwater" :vlol:

robm_2007
14-03-12, 06:01
That does seem like an irrational fear, especially if it is in a game and not in real life. But I recall many people being scared of TRU, because of the giant spiders, so I guess it's the same thing in context.

I don't know how you would get over it, other than to traumatize you and make you play through some swimming segments. First, just make her jump in the water, and then you can run out of the room screaming or whatever :pi: --- then gradually make her swim on the surface, and eventually get to making her dive underwater.

But for actual swimming IRL, I would just push you in a pool with a life vest :whi:

xXhayleyroxXx
14-03-12, 06:05
I have this :pi: Its more because of what's in the water though -- I have a phobia of fans/turbines, pool drains and dark water and the Tomb Raider series has a lot of that. If I can't see what's in the water, I'll get a friend or my sister to jump in and have a good look around in the water for me first before I dare play xD

MangelinaJolie
14-03-12, 06:41
I can sympathize with this. The beginning of TRU and the beginning of 40 Fathoms in TR2 particularly made me uncomfortable. I think it's mostly the sharks.

just*raidin*tomb
14-03-12, 06:52
Yes being underwater in some games freak me out. Especially the older Tomb Raiders.

And watching the Far Cry 3 demo with him tied up and sinking to the bottom...that really is terrifying.

b.gluch
14-03-12, 07:01
Truth be told, I've never even touched a TR game for this exact reason.

u saying you've never played any tomb raider game??

Catracoth
14-03-12, 07:36
u saying you've never played any tomb raider game??

No, he's played a couple I believe, just as long as he didn't have to go through any underwater levels.

ajrich17901
14-03-12, 07:42
Never really had a fear of them, I just find them ****ing boring.

Lochnessx78
14-03-12, 07:43
But for actual swimming IRL, I would just push you in a pool with a life vest :whi:

That's the thing though. I have no fear of swimming in real life. Yeah, deep water is creepy, and I wouldn't want to be thrown into the middle of a black lake. The only reason deep water freaks me out a tiny bit in real life is that I'm not sure I know how to swim. If I was certain I knew how to swim I'd be in the water swimming all the time. As for deep pools, I've been in 12ft sections and been fine...holding on to the sides of course.

michaeldt
14-03-12, 07:44
Do you feel the same when watching someone swim in a film?

Lochnessx78
14-03-12, 08:01
Do you feel the same when watching someone swim in a film?

Not at all. Movies or shows with such segments don't scare me one bit. Just to give some better info, I'll give a few examples. One of my all-time favorite games was Oblivion. I was never able to finish the Thieves quest line due to an underwater portion. Even more pathetic; Never finished Donkey Kong Country 64, same reason. Super Mario 64, all Tomb Raider games, Banjo-Kazooie, Majora's Mask, Mega Man Legends, Shadow of the Colossus(UGH, just thinking about that underwater Colossi gives me chills), Darksiders and I'm sure many more I can't even think of right now. I even believe Bethesda trolled me AND ONLY ME in a specific quest in Oblivion. The quest involved retrieving a mans emotions(Fear, Anger, Happiness etc). One of the "items" he lost was his courage... And, because the Universe hates me, Bethesda thought it would be funny to put the mans "courage" at the end of a giant underwater cave system. No joke, it brought me to tears I was so scared.

nick styger
14-03-12, 08:12
Once you've learned to swim it's great.

Shark_Blade
14-03-12, 08:22
I can relate.

wn4-auF2MQs

lord gaga
14-03-12, 10:40
Every time I see a part in TR2 that has me swimming with sharks i save and make a swim for it! I really hate sharks :( (but not the sharks in underworld, they just plain sucked!)

tomblover
14-03-12, 11:41
I absolutely hate the beginning of Bioshock for this reason. It's just you, the black-ass ocean and lots of fire... it's too scary for me. :yik:

SirPlagueRat
14-03-12, 13:06
Am I the only one who actually likes underwater segments? :vlol:
But, uhm, I'm not sure how to help you there, to be honest. It's only water in a game. Are you afraid of water in real life as well? :confused:

WWETombRaider
14-03-12, 14:10
Funny, I was thinking about the TRU level a few days ago. It does bother me a bit when I have swim so deep, but nothing that makes me stop the level. Although, I hate it when there are creatures in the water or when you run out of breath. :hea:

I can relate.

wn4-auF2MQs

That music is so nerve-wracking.

Miharu
14-03-12, 14:13
I can see what you mean, swimming underwater in games can be very tense but sometimes fun, the number of times I jumped back into the water in thailand in TRU or the number of times I went swimming in Skyrim! :D

I have had the feeling where I think: "crap where's the way out" but never got the sweaty palms or stopped me playing the game!

larafan25
14-03-12, 14:58
Well lucky for you the next Tomb Raider game has no underwater swimming sections. :)

Ora Dagger
14-03-12, 15:15
What freaks me out is that you don't know what's down there...

larafan25
14-03-12, 17:36
I think the scariest part for me has never been what's down there but how far it goes, what if I run out of breath? What if I made a wrong turn?

Weemanply109
14-03-12, 18:03
That does seem like an irrational fear, especially if it is in a game and not in real life.

Speaking of irriational fears, I stopped playing Tomb Raider Legend for a month because I have a fear of the camera coming in contact with game entities (Seeing through objects in the game world, basically), one time I was playing it and I ran her into a wall and I could see inside her head... I started shaking and panicking. I had to stop. ;_;

tomekkobialka
14-03-12, 18:10
Speaking of irriational fears, I stopped playing Tomb Raider Legend for a month because I have a fear of the camera coming in contact with game entities (Seeing through objects in the game world, basically), one time I was playing it and I ran her into a wall and I could see inside her head... I started shaking and panicking. I had to stop. ;_;

http://memeorama.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/I-See-What-You-Did-There-Cat.jpg

I've never heard of this problem, or experienced it. Is it linked to you thinking that the character's going to run out of breath? I just trust in Lara that she can hold her breath long enough. :o

ozzman
14-03-12, 18:32
swimming segments do give a sense of tension , hydrophobia being one and TR being the other, i just get this anxious feeling , once i pass it i'm fine

Lochnessx78
14-03-12, 19:39
I've never heard of this problem, or experienced it. Is it linked to you thinking that the character's going to run out of breath? I just trust in Lara that she can hold her breath long enough. :o

It's so difficult to explain to people that just never had the issue before. It'd be as if you have been blind all your life and asked me to describe what a Galaxy looks like. I don't even understand it myself. It's not that I'm afraid my character dies. I think if anything it must be what's possibly in the water. I read an article once stating that the reason people can have such a bad fear of water, is because they have some type of "caveman trait" passed down over centuries that makes us aware that when a human is in water, they are by no means at the top of the food chain. So, they fear it.

trlestew
14-03-12, 19:39
I've never actually been scared of underwater segments. :o In fact, I think they are the most atmospheric areas in a game.

amaris
14-03-12, 21:49
I have this too... Idk why, I just always have. XD

I think it's because just before I got into gaming, I was traumatized by a shark movie... XD
At first it was a bit of an uneasiness that went along with underwater sequences, then as time went on it seemed to just get worse... idk why though. XD TRU's opening made me jump, even though I KNEW the Kraken was there... lol.

Lochnessx78
14-03-12, 21:54
I have this too... Idk why, I just always have. XD

I think it's because just before I got into gaming, I was traumatized by a shark movie... XD
At first it was a bit of an uneasiness that went along with underwater sequences, then as time went on it seemed to just get worse... idk why though. XD TRU's opening made me jump, even though I KNEW the Kraken was there... lol.

See, that's what I'm talking about. As someone who suffers from this down-right stupid fear along with me. Isn't it difficult to explain why you're afraid? You don't know why it terrifies you, it just does. Can't believe someone here on the TRF's of all places shares my fear.

musicmaestro10
14-03-12, 23:36
That is funny but if it scares you it scares you ;)!

voltz
14-03-12, 23:41
The tension for TR's underwater scenes is a little weak for my taste.

musicmaestro10
14-03-12, 23:43
I actually find underwater very relaxing!!!

amaris
14-03-12, 23:46
See, that's what I'm talking about. As someone who suffers from this down-right stupid fear along with me. Isn't it difficult to explain why you're afraid? You don't know why it terrifies you, it just does. Can't believe someone here on the TRF's of all places shares my fear.

Haha, well I'm glad I could sympathize. XD Idk, It's just always been that way... lol Yay I'm not the only one! XD

voltz
14-03-12, 23:46
Did anyone ever play Ecco Defender of the Future? (Dreamcast)

Catracoth
15-03-12, 00:15
Did anyone ever play Ecco Defender of the Future? (Dreamcast)

I've heard of it, but the only game I've played on Dreamcast was House of the Dead. :(

LaraDuh
15-03-12, 00:15
It always scared me in TR1 and even more with the darkness and frogmen in TR2.

Lochnessx78
15-03-12, 00:26
All I know is I'd rather poop out Lego bricks than play Endless Ocean on the Wii. The Duplo Legos. Massive brick sized ones for the toddlers.

Gamd1011
15-03-12, 00:28
I'm always a little on edge when I play the Sanctuary of the Scion level, with the huge statues and the black distance fog...and the alligators... *shudders*

All I know is I'd rather poop out Lego bricks than play Endless Ocean on the Wii. The Duplo Legos. Massive brick sized ones for the toddlers.
*Googles*

:eek:

amaris
15-03-12, 04:58
:eek:

Ok... I wouldn't go that far... but I get your point. XD

QiX
15-03-12, 15:36
I've heard of psychiatrists using videogames and virtual environment experience to help with the treatment of phobias. But if the phobia already refers to a virtual world I just don't know what to say.

Why don't you just force yourself to drown Lara over and over again for a few days. It sounds sadistic, I know, but maybe this is the way to start seeing a virtual death as something natural.

Or virtually natural, I guess :D

tomekkobialka
15-03-12, 16:46
Why don't you just force yourself to drown Lara over and over again for a few days. It sounds sadistic, I know, but maybe this is the way to start seeing a virtual death as something natural.

But I don't think virtual death is the problem. I think it's the fact that (from what I've read on this thread) Lara is located in water, and in water creatures, monsters etc. can move happily in any direction. Which makes Lara completely vulnerable, in a way. Whereas on land, there's always a hiding place of some kind/besides, only flying creatures can move in ANY direction, and flying creatures are usually not so big and frightening anyway. Am I heading in the right direction?

Weemanply109
15-03-12, 17:18
http://memeorama.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/I-See-What-You-Did-There-Cat.jpg

No. :vlol: I'm being serious, I've had it for years, I've refused to play games because of it, it's a real issue.

I actually had a small fear of playing the Underwater sections of Underworld aswell because I was scared that the Sharks would swim through the camera, it's really irrational, I don't know why I'm so scared of it.

tomekkobialka
15-03-12, 17:20
I don't know why I'm so scared of it.

Because you can't control it, my friend. ;)

Lochnessx78
15-03-12, 22:02
Because you can't control it, my friend. ;)

I would have to whole-heartedly agree.

Love2Raid
15-03-12, 22:24
Hmm, no I don't have this problem. I actually really enjoy underwater segments in games. :p
(If the gameplay doesn't suck, that is.)

I must admit that there are quite a few 'jumpy' underwater moments in TR games. That huge shark in the Pharos level of TR4 caught me off guard. :o
You can feel more vulnerable in these parts of games, I think, because you are generally much slower than any potential enemies. You also can't climb anything to get away. Not to mention how tense it can be when the character is running out of air and you have no clue where to go. O_O

domino92
16-03-12, 01:16
I have this ridiculous fear of "swimming" in or under water in games.

Play BioShock.

Mikky
16-03-12, 01:20
You're in luck, then - there's no swimming in the new TR. Woohoo! :D

Lochnessx78
16-03-12, 01:24
Play BioShock.

Actually, i have played both Bioshock games and love them both. Personally, i prefer the first one. No game EVER will be able to match the moment you realize you're just basically a slave. However, the underwater portions in the second one didn't bother me one bit. I think it may be because your movement is so limited.