PDA

View Full Version : Report: Bethesda Working On Elder Scrolls MMO

lcroft_lc
16-03-12, 06:27
http://media1.gameinformer.com/imagefeed/featured/bethesda/elderscrolls/elderscrollsvoverflow/skyrim0401-610.jpg

According to a report just published, Bethesda is creating an MMO based on the Elder Scrolls universe.

The website Tom's Guide has published an article (http://www.tomsguide.com/us/ZeniMax-Bethesda-Elder-Scrolls-Online-MMO,news-14481.html) claiming that an Elder Scrolls MMO is in production, citing an anonymous industry source. The source also told the site that the game would take place a millennium prior to the events of Skyrim, and the author speculates that this would place it in the "Second Era" of Elder Scrolls. This would mean the MMO takes place hundreds of years before any game in the series.

The article gives a few more details on the purported MMO, including the plan to have "three playable factions," each represented by an animal -- lion, dragon, and bird of prey.

The article goes on to speculate that it will be shown at the upcoming E3 and at Quakecon 2012.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/03/15/report-bethesda-working-on-elder-scroll-mmo.aspx

Larson_1988
16-03-12, 06:29
Actually, this sounds wonderful. :D Maybe this will be a way for Bethesda to use all lands of Tamriel in one game? :whi:

TippingWater
16-03-12, 07:01
Sounds great, this could be really successful if it will be released on PS3 and Xbox360 or maybe they are planning to wait for next gen consoles, ether way I cannot think of many cross platform MMO games :).

oocladableeblah
16-03-12, 07:08
This should be awesome cause it should work different from WOW so hopefully it can compete. That's if they continue with the first person view and don't switch to something more WOWish.

Catracoth
16-03-12, 07:22
Wow.

scoopy_loopy
16-03-12, 07:31
Wut.

Jester Head
16-03-12, 09:34
Dislike. MMOs suck, and the last thing we need is for Bethesda to become the new Blizzard, and focus most of their effort on the MMO, neglecting the main series.

TRLegendLuver
16-03-12, 09:39
Dislike. MMOs suck, and the last thing we need is for Bethesda to become the new Blizzard, and focus most of their effort on the MMO, neglecting the main series.

I respectfully disagree. MMOs are creative and fun for me, personally. I play DCUOnline a lot and I really enjoy the leveling up system, the stylization, the ideas, the missions, quests, characters, ideas, etc. MMOs can be tons of fun if they are made the right way.

I think that the Elder Scrolls could have an excellent MMO if it's done properly. :)

Jester Head
16-03-12, 10:10
I respectfully disagree. MMOs are creative and fun for me, personally. I play DCUOnline a lot and I really enjoy the leveling up system, the stylization, the ideas, the missions, quests, characters, ideas, etc. MMOs can be tons of fun if they are made the right way.

I think that the Elder Scrolls could have an excellent MMO if it's done properly. :)

My main problem is the time (and most of the times, money) consuming character of the format, and also the fact that it becomes a repetitive experience after a couple of dozens of hours.

Besides, like I've said, if a developer focus most of their effort on the MMO because it's an easy source of revenue (see Blizzard with WoW), their main series will suffer, and that's the last thing we need now. Even if MMOs suddenly become a lot better than they have been in the past decade, we still need the traditional single player RPG.

The idea of a massive multiplayer RPG is great. The executions haven't been, at least so far.

moodydog
16-03-12, 10:18
I don't like MMO's, but I like Elder Scrolls. This may entice me if the MMO side of it is just an addition to the game, and nothing else is degraded.

TR FAN 18
16-03-12, 11:03
Urgh... the thing I hate about MMOs is the monthly subscription. I don't want to pay 10 every month to play a game! :hea:

Liara
16-03-12, 11:26
I hope Bethesda won't end up focusing on raking in the money. Because I really hated it when Blizz stopped making Warcraft games once WoW popped up. I still want my Warcraft 4 with a proper story that doesn't involve hoards of everyday players taking down gigantic characters like Arthas. That's not good storytelling.

Jester Head
16-03-12, 11:39
I hope Bethesda won't end up focusing on raking in the money. Because I really hated it when Blizz stopped making Warcraft games once WoW popped up. I still want my Warcraft 4 with a proper story that doesn't involve hoards of everyday players taking down gigantic characters like Arthas. That's not good storytelling.

Exactly!

And I'd really love to have Warcraft 4, too. The problem is that WoW messes up the whole WC lore and canon. They need to find bigger and better enemies, afterall. Even if a WC4 happens, it'll have to be centuries before/after all the other games, simply because WoW is changing too much concerning characters, factions, territories, etc... Either that, or making WoW non-canon.

Sir Croft
16-03-12, 12:47
I'd rather have a multiplayer feature in Skyrim, just so I could have a friend join me.
Not the entire world.

scoopy_loopy
16-03-12, 12:49
I guess this also means we won't be seeing the next Fallout for another million years. :(

Sir Croft
16-03-12, 12:50
I guess this also means we won't be seeing the next Fallout for another million years. :(
Oh my God, I hadn't thought about that. Why Bethesda?! I miss the Wasteland! :(

xXhayleyroxXx
16-03-12, 12:55
I'd rather have a multiplayer feature in Skyrim, just so I could have a friend join me.
Not the entire world.

This. Or some sort of online feature -- this does sound interesting though :p

Carbonek_0051
16-03-12, 12:56
Not the entire world.
I agree.
I think the mentioned somewhere they have two teams, I could be wrong though.

Sir Croft
16-03-12, 13:08
^I hope so, I don't want my Fallout 4 delayed because of some MMORPG.

Carbonek_0051
16-03-12, 13:10
Well I know they have mentioned multiple times they want to turn Fallout into one of their franchises like Elder Scrolls, and I know they were looking to hire for a new game, so chances are Fallout 4 will happen even with this happening.

Miharu
16-03-12, 15:34
The thing about the MMO is, they could be using a different studio and another crew will be maintaining the game. While the rest work on the rest of the Elder Scrolls/fallout franchise. :)

larafan25
16-03-12, 16:11
Ew...an MMO? That means other people, in mass amounts! D:

Onlyyynnn wai.

JK This sounds interesting and I'd probably buy it if it's good like the series, having big open worlds, etc...

Weemanply109
16-03-12, 16:12
This "MMO" better not be a basic WoW clone. :ohn:

Miharu
16-03-12, 16:33
This "MMO" better not be a basic WoW clone. :ohn:

It's Bethesda. They are the innovators. :)

Sharon_14
16-03-12, 16:42
Good. I disliked the idea that a game like Skyrim is a single-player game.

Megalith
16-03-12, 17:39
Crappy PS3 version confirmed.