PDA

View Full Version : Health warning labels on games

Nausinous
21-03-12, 17:31
What the actual ****?

Two U.S. politicians have backed a bill that proposes violent games be labelled with tobacco product-style warning labels.

Virginia Representative Frank Wolf and California Representative Joe Baca have co-sponsored bill H.R. 4202, otherwise known as the Violence in Video Games Labelling Act. Full Article (http://www.edge-online.com/news/us-bill-proposes-cigarette-style-warning-labels-games)

robm_2007
21-03-12, 17:32
I've read about this, and I do not approve. That's really stupid, they should next post warning labels on snack cakes and say that prolonged exposure may lead to becoming a fat ass...

Alpharaider47
21-03-12, 17:39
I've read about this, and I do not approve. That's really stupid, they should next post warning labels on snack cakes and say that prolonged exposure may lead to becoming a fat ass...

D: But, but that would be offensive to the majority of Americans!

interstellardave
When are these morons going to be forced to stop this crap? Seriously... they should be forced to stop already. Their "reasoning" is ridiculous and they want the label to appear on every game rated E or worse, whether it's violent or not? First of all the gaming industry already has ratings--and they are arguably better employed than those used by the film industry. Second, it's not like cigarettes. All cigarettes are harmful to health--that's been proven. Games--even the most violent--have not been proven harmful; and they are certainly not all the same.

Legend of Lara
Video games kill.

One in every five video game contracts cancer.

Video games contain high amounts of silicone.

etc.

Cochrane
21-03-12, 17:41
What worries me isn't this particular bill; I'm sure it will get shot down. But as long as people like that are around, others will go "that's a problem we need to talk about" and propose all sorts of crap, but still feel good about themselves because they found "a reasonable compromise" between the situation today and idiots like those representatives.

DragonSlayer
22-03-12, 16:54
I've been following this story for the last few days, the whole thing is :cen: stupid they should be worrying about real issues like the rise in young kids on drugs and people being killed by knife/gun wielding lunatics instead of focusing on easy/non-important targets.

This :cen: will only stop when gamers are in positions of power, i remember back when GTA4 came out that persistent pain in the backside keith vaz appeared on sky news holding up a newspaper with GTA4 ad in it, he was moaning about the size of the tiny rating label on the ad he said it was far too small and that he wouldn't stop until the rating covered the entire front cover of GTA4.

Videogames need to be defended more and not just by the odd politician like Tom Watson but by gamers who just seem to take criticism of videogames lying down.

Modern Warfare 2 discussed in British Parliment and defended by Tom Watson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw28AS303p4