PDA

View Full Version : Anyone getting tired of all the reboots?

Ceamonks890
23-03-12, 04:43
Because I am. Most of the time, reboots are unimaginative and just seem to copy/paste a storyline that's been done before(with a few minor details changed from the original.)

I realize some reboots can be good for a franchise(ex: Tomb Raider), but others can really damage a franchise(ex: Spyro the Dragon). There's even been some reboot projects that were being developed, but ultimately abandoned, due to lack of time/enthusiasm to complete it(ex: Thief/Jak and Daxter).

What are your thoughts on the need to practically reboot everything, just to appeal to the masses?

voltz
23-03-12, 04:51
Thank God I'm not alone on this.

ajrich17901
23-03-12, 05:00
Thank God I'm not alone on this.

Far far from it I'm sure, if they would actually take the series to a whole new level I'd be for it, but most reboots just fall into a former shadow of the original game its supposed to be.

Mikky
23-03-12, 05:06
Some reboots are necessary, I think. I mean, imagine if Tomb Raider was still the same today as it were back then? Tank-like movements in this day and age while every other game has up-to-date gameplay and controls? I can't even imagine it. So, yeah, I think some franchises need to be rebooted to keep up to date with gameplay, to keep things fresh and to stand up to competition. On the other hand, though, I do feel like some reboots out there are pointless and make me wonder why the developers thought it was necessary to reboot it. If it ain't broken, then don't fix it, right?

lcroft_lc
23-03-12, 05:15
Some reboots are necessary, I think. I mean, imagine if Tomb Raider was still the same today as it were back then? Tank-like movements in this day and age while every other game has up-to-date gameplay and controls? I can't even imagine it. So, yeah, I think some franchises need to be rebooted to keep up to date with gameplay, to keep things fresh and to stand up to competition. On the other hand, though, I do feel like some reboots out there are pointless and make me wonder why the developers thought it was necessary to reboot it. If it ain't broken, then don't fix it, right?
:tmb:

Ceamonks890
23-03-12, 05:17
@Mikky, I know what you mean, but some series really didn't need some of these drastic changes. Just look at Devil May Cry for example. There was nothing wrong with the series before(besides the abomination known as DMC2). The story made sense and the gameplay was always fun. Dante(the main character), even mocked a giant spider(who was wanting to kill him in the first game), and is even claimed to be one of gaming's coolest characters.

But now, he's become a guy who smokes and is the child of an angel and a demon(the original Dante was born from a human mother and a demon father called Sparda, which is in my opinion, better). I really don't get why they changed his look so much as well:

Original: http://images.wikia.com/devilmaycry/images/6/63/Dante_4.png

Reboot: http://guestcontroller.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/guest-controller-dmc-devil-may-cry-gamescom-art-1-dante_aim_front_bg1.jpg?w=640

Seriously, just why?:(

matrix54
23-03-12, 05:21
I detest reboots. If people didn't like the original, the game shouldn't be forced to change to accommodate a million other people. It the game needs to die, let it die with respect. Update things for the better, not kill off most everything for people who never liked it to begin with.

I'm also tired of HD remakes selling at almost 600% that of what I'd find in the bargain bin. Most of them apply minimal effort to making them look better and it's usually a cash in.

EscondeR
23-03-12, 05:49
Count me in.

The reboots are generally a lame attempt of unimaginative developer (which has taken over) to sell something using others' fame :mis:

@ Mikky: One having tank-like hands can't accomodate to any controls... unless the game plays him through numerous ICs with need to "tap X to..."
Another feels and controls TR1 more fluently than you can TRA :p

Actually bringing Classics controls as a counter argument in any discussion is IMO the lamest of the lame.

Alpharaider47
23-03-12, 06:09
I'm certainly on board, it's annoying not only in games but the movie industry as well :vlol: Has everyone forgotten how to make new/somewhat original material?

I think reboots can be necessary in some cases, or at least can be useful tools to move an older franchise into modern times. On the other hand I think they need to be done well and not multiple times just to keep the series relevant. If the series or subject matter is having a hard time staying relevant then maybe it's best to let it go. You can only reinvent something so many times.

Carbonek_0051
23-03-12, 11:07
@Mikky, I know what you mean, but some series really didn't need some of these drastic changes. Just look at Devil May Cry for example. There was nothing wrong with the series before(besides the abomination known as DMC2). The story made sense and the gameplay was always fun. Dante(the main character), even mocked a giant spider(who was wanting to kill him in the first game), and is even claimed to be one of gaming's coolest characters.

But now, he's become a guy who smokes and is the child of an angel and a demon(the original Dante was born from a human mother and a demon father called Sparda, which is in my opinion, better). I really don't get why they changed his look so much as well:

Original: http://images.wikia.com/devilmaycry/images/6/63/Dante_4.png

Reboot: http://guestcontroller.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/guest-controller-dmc-devil-may-cry-gamescom-art-1-dante_aim_front_bg1.jpg?w=640

There was nothing wrong with the series to YOU. The series slowly was getting stale, and the 4th game was almost as bad as the abomination that is known as DMC2. Not to mention other games were doing what DMC did, but better. Oh and by the way, DmC isn't a reboot. The gameplay is still the same, all they did was redesign Dante. Even if it was a reboot, the series desperately needed one. Dante doesn't look like some cheap character made to cater to the cheese loving group. They completely removed their original idea of a reboot, he doesn't seem to smoke anymore. Also, Dante was one of the coolest gaming characters? lolno. He was a joke.

I don't mind reboots when they are actually good. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow immediately comes to mind. Reboots are necessary when a series becomes stale and needs to regain popularity in the public eye.

Nausinous
23-03-12, 11:09
I detest reboots. If people didn't like the original, the game shouldn't be forced to change to accommodate a million other people. It the game needs to die, let it die with respect. Update things for the better, not kill off most everything for people who never liked it to begin with.

This!

Carbonek_0051
23-03-12, 11:10
Yeah totally! Reboots suck, just look at Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. It turned out to be an amazing reboot, they should have just let the series die so that amazing game didn't come out. Let's ruin the possibilities of getting new games in series that might turn out to be good! lol

Seriously, the whole reboot hate makes gamers look like "elitists". Don't like it, ignore it and enjoy your "classics". No one is forcing you to play them, and if it gets attention to the series I fail to see that as a bad thing.

matrix54
23-03-12, 11:33
This is more or less an argument of respect for the series, as opposed to more games thrown in for the sake of being thrown in. Yeah, if a game is done well, yeah, but why not make a new game to begin with, rather than piggy packing it on the series.

This isn't me looking through "rose colored glasses" - look at the Sonic and Zelda Series - I don't play them, but I know they suffered why too much coming up. People thought sonic should have died a long time ago, but making them, making spin off, doing reboots for the better, and what happens? One good game. Zelda has been rebooted for the Nth time, but the games remained mostly the same.

We aren't elitists, far from - we just call bull**** when we see bull****.

And people who welcome crap like this need to be more critical of the game they play. Developers are like children - they don't learn anything if you don't attempt to teach them anything. Reboots aren't all bad, but a series died, it should remain so, and a new IP should be created, even if it is similar. A good game is a good game - period.

Carbonek_0051
23-03-12, 11:36
You do know the same people who wanted Sonic to die have pretty much took that back right? They actually started making GOOD Sonic games again and people were finally pleased. It's all about trial and error, some reboots don't and some do. Why shut out the possibility of getting a good game in a series again? How does it ruin your enjoyment of a series?

Here's an example, I despise the CoD franchise now. But it doesn't ruin my enjoyment of the older games, and it doesn't mean I want the franchise to die. If they wanted to do a reboot I wouldn't be mad, in fact I might be interested in it again. It's about perspective. While you may hate the ideas of reboots, it actually is a good way to get attention to a dying series and possibly return it to it's glory.

Also, Zelda? Last I checked it's rare Zelda gets a bad game and no one has ever said that series should die. Nor have I heard complaints about rebooting it, because there have been no reboots. :confused:

Sir Croft
23-03-12, 11:39
Batman.

That's all I have to say. If it's broken, then reboot it or let it die, there's no point in keeping a tired formula.

Carbonek_0051
23-03-12, 11:40
Batman.

That's all I have to say. If it's broken, then reboot it or let it die, there's no point in keeping a tired formula.

Good example too. Reboots CAN be good, I don't see reboots as being a bad thing.

Legend of Lara
23-03-12, 11:45
DmC isn't a reboot.

But it is. They're starting a whole new story in a new continuity.

Carbonek_0051
23-03-12, 11:48
But it is. They're starting a whole new story in a new continuity.
They said they aren't ignoring the other DMC games, it's supposed to be an alternate universe, not a reboot. There is no hint at whether or not his past is still different, all we know is he grew up in an orphanage now whether or not he still has a devil & angel as parents is yet to be. Almost verything from their original "reboot" idea was pretty much scrapped. :I

Anyway, let's not turn this into another DmC discussion thread. We have the series thread for that Chris.

matrix54
23-03-12, 11:49
You added stuff to the argument. :vlol:

It's not about enjoyment, it's respect. If they want to make a new game, they can, but they don't need to tag a known franchise to do so. Same with Syndicate.

Zelda... there was a nice period of time where Zelda just could not get it. The on;y problem with Zelda is that they've never really changed anything. They just are. If the series died, I really wonder what will happen.

Carbonek_0051
23-03-12, 11:53
It's not about enjoyment, it's respect. If they want to make a new game, they can, but they don't need to tag a known franchise to do so. Same with Syndicate.Sometimes the name is needed, not just to get sales or bring in a fanbase. But also because certain gameplay elements ARE tied to said series. I can't imagine Castlevania: Lords of Shadows being any other game. The gameplay elements fit the series so well.

Zelda... there was a nice period of time where Zelda just could not get it. The on;y problem with Zelda is that they've never really changed anything. They just are. If the series died, I really wonder what will happen.

Then we probably wouldn't have the games we have now, the Zelda series is a good example of why series shouldn't just drop if they get something wrong. So thank you for backing my original point.

Legend of Lara
23-03-12, 12:00
he still has a devil & angel as parents is yet to be.

They made that up for DmC. His parents were a devil and a human, originally.

k dropping

Carbonek_0051
23-03-12, 12:04
They made that up for DmC. His parents were a devil and a human, originally.

k dropping
Yeah, that's why I said whether they kept that is yet to be seen, pretty much everything else from the "reboot" idea was dropped.

And yes, let's drop it before the thread gets off topic.

jajay119
23-03-12, 12:06
Some series get to the point where they have been going so long and have become so contrived that a reboot is necesary in order for them to still be relevant. Tomb Raider is the latter of these series, Resident Evil is the former and could really benefit from one.

I hate it when series are rebooted, whether it be fully, gameplay-wise or in terms of story, though. But yes, in general, I'm tired of all the remakes of movies and games from long ago just because people today either cannot or simply cannot be bothered to come up with something new.

Alpharaider47
23-03-12, 16:44
Yeah totally! Reboots suck, just look at Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. It turned out to be an amazing reboot, they should have just let the series die so that amazing game didn't come out. Let's ruin the possibilities of getting new games in series that might turn out to be good! lol

Seriously, the whole reboot hate makes gamers look like "elitists". Don't like it, ignore it and enjoy your "classics". No one is forcing you to play them, and if it gets attention to the series I fail to see that as a bad thing.

It's not that all reboots suck, it's that the bads outweigh the goods in many cases. So Castlevania was good, others not so much.

Like I said, if a series requires multiple reboots to stay relevant, it's time for it to go.

Miharu
24-03-12, 03:47
Reboots are half and half for me. They can be done right or wrong. But as many have said, we could be missing out on great games if they don't at least try and reboot it and if it goes horribly wrong then, it's time for the series to be put to rest.

Although I have to say I feel sorry for Capcom, I think they delude themselves by saying the more actiony the Resident Evil franchise becomes the more they'll sell. Rubbish. A good game can sell well regardless of genre, it just has to be executed very well.

robm_2007
24-03-12, 05:43
Capcom is doing what is working, and that is appealing to an audience that favors action and gunplay to the older formula. I am at least grateful that they are humoring us in making RE6 seem horror-ish (in Leon's campaign), although, what we have seen is hardly enough to make a real judgement.

With that in mind, I would LOVE a reboot. Or should I say a deboot? Since they would not need to start all over, just go back to the original style of Resident Evil.

As for other games that seem to be rebooted, without the game actually being rebooted, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I detest what Ubisoft did to Splinter Cell, and (even though I loved TRL), the game was so different that it might have been a new IP. Though, I know that those are subjective, as some people are baffled at how I could think that they were different from the previous games.

Reboots are sometimes necessary, like with TR. Other times, it just seems to be a ploy as people seem to suddenly be fascinated by a series that they never cared about, just because the game is rebooting.
---
I also really hate when people say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Sometimes, things just run their course and fail to evolve, which becomes a hindrance on the series. I'm looking at you, Tomb Raider (even though AOD was a suicide mission :pi:)

cezy rockeru
24-03-12, 06:45
I'm more tired and annoyed by all the "special visions" brought by reboots, and this time in TR too. :I

"shrink to see idkplatform" - Alice Madness Returns

"press idkwhat to see where the enemies are going" - Hitman

"activate survival instinct to see what you have to do" - TR

Why? It wasn't necessary 10 years ago, why would it be now? It just makes the game so much easier and it's pretty stupid.

Phlip
24-03-12, 07:08

Updating controls does not equate to rebooting something. :confused:

But tbh these reboots are annoying, yeah. The last one I heard about, Soul Reaver, seems to be doing so for the damn sake of it. Apparently there was nothing ever really even wrong with the series, yet CD are rebooting it. :rolleyes:

robm_2007
24-03-12, 08:37
I'm more tired and annoyed by all the "special visions" brought by reboots, and this time in TR too. :I

"shrink to see idkplatform" - Alice Madness Returns

"press idkwhat to see where the enemies are going" - Hitman

"activate survival instinct to see what you have to do" - TR

Why? It wasn't necessary 10 years ago, why would it be now? It just makes the game so much easier and it's pretty stupid.

I really hate that, too. It's just another gaming innovation that is popular in a title, which then causes everyone else to use it, too.

Cover System
Regenerative Health System
Mark and Execute/Dead Eye
Slow Motion/Bullet Time
Instinct Mode/Glowing Objects and Enemies

But tbh these reboots are annoying, yeah. The last one I heard about, Soul Reaver, seems to be doing so for the damn sake of it. Apparently there was nothing ever really even wrong with the series, yet CD are rebooting it. :rolleyes:

I have no idea what Soul Reaver is about. Something to do with vampires? Or is that Legacy of Kain? Anyways, I think that they reboot series like that, as it often will be a fresh start for new players to begin the franchise with.

They might not know what the game was about before, so making it a reboot sort of makes it a new series while letting them know that it is based off an acclaimed series that they have never heard of :p Continuing the series will "alienate" gamers who have never played it, and let's face it, there's a larger demographic to gain with a reboot, then the previous demographic who played the previous Soul Reaver games.

But, I think that's the same case with prequels, ala Deus Ex: Human Revolution. You didn't need to have any clue what DX 1 and 2 were about to jump into HR; it was a game that is practically a reboot, while retaining the continuity of the previous games in order to keep the original fans.

Jami393
24-03-12, 08:44
Tbh I don't actually mind reboots.

Survival
24-03-12, 08:56
If most of the series haven't been run to the ground I would agree with you. That said I am not interested in any of the reboots, TR included.

Jami393
24-03-12, 09:00
If most of the series haven't been run to the ground I would agree with you. That said I am not interested in any of the reboots, TR included.

TR's reboot has got to be one of the best reboots I have ever seen.

Survival
24-03-12, 09:03
We barely saw anything from the game in the first place. A video of heavily scripted cave area with some same-old gameplay, some screenshots and one over produced CGI movie. So I think it is understandable to keep one's expectations on a leash :p.

Jami393
24-03-12, 09:05
We barely saw anything from the game in the first place. A video of heavily scripted cave area with some same-old gameplay, some screenshots and one over produced CGI movie. So I think it is understandable to keep one's expectations on a leash :p.

It still seemed really good in my opinion, and also I thought it created a good atmosphere.

Survival
24-03-12, 09:07
Well I am not saying it isn't good, just that I haven't seen anything that would make me interested in the game yet :)

Jami393
24-03-12, 09:08
Well I am not saying it isn't good, just that I haven't seen anything that would make me interested in the game yet :)

Well there is still time to have your mind changed seeing that it won't be coming out till the end of the year.

Survival
24-03-12, 09:09
Well there is still time to have your mind changed seeing that it won't be coming out till the end of the year.

Definitely :tmb:

Shark_Blade
24-03-12, 11:55
TR's reboot has got to be one of the best reboots I have ever seen.

That's exactly how I felt when TR Legend was announced. It looks promising and seems to deliver everything in aces. Turns out it's actually crap covered with shiny plastic.

I just hope TReboot won't be like that.

Barry Matharoo
24-03-12, 14:09
I for one think its time for reboots to be booted :p

But i am really lookin forward to mk reboot [vita], tr reboot and dmc reboot :o

Dennis's Mom
24-03-12, 14:15
I think reboots are foolish. If you can't fix what's wrong with a game without "rebooting" then you need to make a new game.

Reboots are developers simply tricking fans into buying something with a name on box because they're too chicken to start something new.

larafan25
24-03-12, 14:15
Nope, I'm not sick of reboots.

Shark_Blade
24-03-12, 14:23
I for one think its time for reboots to be booted :p

But i am really lookin forward to mk reboot [vita], tr reboot and dmc reboot :o

I gotta agree there, Mortal Kombat reboot (2011) was exceptionally good.:tmb:
Don't know about the vita version though.

voltz
24-03-12, 16:08
I don't fully agree with MK getting the restart like it did. It's real problem is where everything lost base (story-wise) to some characters before Raiden's so-called premonition occurred. (Mileena, Quan Chi for example)

Love2Raid
24-03-12, 17:48
No, I don't mind and I can understand why they're doing it. The only people who might end up being displeased are the hardcore fans who loved and supported the series from the beginning and can't accept certain changes. It sucks for them, but the fact is that they are a minorty... The majority of gamers is young and hesitant to buy the '10th sequel' of a series that they know nothing about. The name will assure the attention of the critics/media (and the hardcore fans of course, regardless of their opinion). And it can turn out really well.

I actually like his look in this picture a lot, I hope they won't make any further changes.

Phlip
24-03-12, 18:01
I have no idea what Soul Reaver is about. Something to do with vampires? Or is that Legacy of Kain? Anyways, I think that they reboot series like that, as it often will be a fresh start for new players to begin the franchise with.

They might not know what the game was about before, so making it a reboot sort of makes it a new series while letting them know that it is based off an acclaimed series that they have never heard of :p Continuing the series will "alienate" gamers who have never played it, and let's face it, there's a larger demographic to gain with a reboot, then the previous demographic who played the previous Soul Reaver games.

But, I think that's the same case with prequels, ala Deus Ex: Human Revolution. You didn't need to have any clue what DX 1 and 2 were about to jump into HR; it was a game that is practically a reboot, while retaining the continuity of the previous games in order to keep the original fans.

I get what you're saying and it's probably the reason, but wow it's incredibly weak. tbh the only excuse I believe there is for reboots is if the series is failing massively. What they could have done with Soul Reaver is remaster the original game (even if they're on PS1, they could easily do it) so anyone can easily get into the series.

lance6439
24-03-12, 18:02
Aeon flux needs a re-boot. :pi:

voltz
24-03-12, 18:41
^
You're on a kick today, ain't ya?

The only reboot that show needs is to pick up where it left off. (i.e. season 4)

lance6439
24-03-12, 18:46
^
You're on a kick today, ain't ya?

The only reboot that show needs is to pick up where it left off. (i.e. season 4)

Not only the show, but another video game + another movie & another entire new series.

Mikky
24-03-12, 18:48

It's definitely an important part of a reboot. I doubt there are any reboots out there that don't have a completely revamped control scheme compared to the previous game.

voltz
24-03-12, 18:52
Not only the show, but another video game + another movie & another entire new series.

Well if by "new", I'd say stay canon with the original show and try to work with an ongoing storyline. Every episode was so separate that Aeon could die and still not care as it was all a crazy "what-if" scenario that we know isn't going to matter the next time it's on.

lance6439
24-03-12, 18:55
Well if by "new", I'd say stay canon with the original show and try to work with an ongoing storyline. Every episode was so separate that Aeon could die and still not care as it was all a crazy "what-if" scenario that we know isn't going to matter the next time it's on.

Yes! This is perfect http://dramadaily.net/forum/images/smilies/eusa_pray.gif

voltz
24-03-12, 19:06
But you know some idiot producer is going to change everything (just like the movie).

lance6439
24-03-12, 19:13
But you know some idiot producer is going to change everything (just like the movie).

as long as Chung lee does the animation. I think I would be pleased :pi: