PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft 'to release Xbox Lite before next-gen console'

lcroft_lc
26-03-12, 15:06
http://cdn.medialib.computerandvideogames.com/screens/screenshot_280135_thumb_wide300.jpg (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/viewer.php?mode=article&id=280135)

100 Xbox 360 supposedly landing next year

Microsoft will release a cheaper 'Xbox Lite' before its true next-generation console launches, it's been claimed.

Infamous Microsoft leaker MS Nerd (http://www.reddit.com/r/casualiama/comments/r4q5l/iama_someone_who_leaks_information_about/?sort=new) suggests we'll see the new ARM-based Xbox 360 model launch in late 2013 at a around 100 / $100, with its next-gen console arriving "later". "At some point after [the Xbox Lite], we'll see a Xbox Next, a true successor to the 360," it writes. "Details about it are very hazy, except that, like the 360, it will do games for core-audiences and the same media apps as the other device, also with Kinect."

The device sounds a lot like Xbox Loop (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/325374/next-xbox-smaller-and-cheaper-than-360/), a codename previously rumoured to be in use internally at Microsoft for a smaller Kinect-focused product set to run on Windows 9.

The same source reported last year: "It will be cheaper than the 360, further enabling Kinect adoption. And it will be far smaller than the 360. It will also demonstrate how Windows Phone could possible implement Win9's dev platform on the lower end."

Microsoft's most recent comment (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/340240/microsoft-no-next-gen-xbox-at-e3/) on Xbox 360's as-yet-unannounced successor is that "there will be no talk of new Xbox hardware at E3 or anytime soon".

[ Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/341406/microsoft-to-release-xbox-lite-before-next-gen-console/favicon.pngTech Radar (http://beta.techradar.com/news/gaming/consoles/xbox-lite-coming-2013-with-xbox-720-to-follow--1073365?) ]

Spong
26-03-12, 15:31
Any scaled-down Xbox will only be worth it if they ditch all the Kinect crap. If any of that is included then the unit will be a waste of money IMO.

Sir Croft
26-03-12, 15:31
Told you, no next-gen before 2014.

Diablo_Rosso
26-03-12, 15:33
Any scaled-down Xbox will only be worth it if they ditch all the Kinect crap. If any of that is included then the unit will be a waste of money IMO.

This will be for Kinect, if anything. It's clear that is Microsoft's focus, no matter how stupid it is.

larson n natla
26-03-12, 19:29
Told you, no next-gen before 2014.

This, though I think they will announce it this year.

Sir Croft
26-03-12, 19:32
I think it's early for an announcement, maybe next year.

jajay119
26-03-12, 19:39
Can't say I'm surprised. It makes sense to get every last penny they can before moving on from this gen. Sony did it with the PS2, and the PSP and I wouldn't be surprised if they unveil a bare bones version of the PS3 at E3 to compete.

Carbonek_0051
26-03-12, 19:43
I wonder if it's going to contain an HDD or what exactly this will have. I have planning on getting a new Xbox.

Also, why all the hate on Kinect? It's actually really neat, I borrowed my brother's for awhile and I actually really want one now. It's not like they are forcing Kinect features into every game.

Larson_1988
26-03-12, 19:51
So, if i read that right. What's the point with a kinec-only Xbox when the 360 supports it fully? I have nothing against Kinect, i find it rather funny to use. Though i don't own a Kinect myself.

jajay119
26-03-12, 19:56
I think the principle in Kinect is really good and what it can be used to do. To be honest I think it's pretty wasted as a gaming peripheral.

Alpharaider47
26-03-12, 23:50
I think the principle in Kinect is really good and what it can be used to do. To be honest I think it's pretty wasted as a gaming peripheral.

Yeah, it's beaten out by the Wii. But, it's made its way into Archaeology as a tool for scanning and creating 3D images of artifacts and sites. There's a lot of potential for the technology :p

Spong
26-03-12, 23:57
Also, why all the hate on Kinect?

Because it's a gimmick, inspired by the Wii (and we all know how popular that console is), and it's aimed at spazzy eight year-olds going hyper on sugar who love waving their arms about. Or overweight mothers who need exercising but can't be bothered to get their fat arses down the gym.

Beyond silly party games and exercise regimes the peripheral has no real use in 'proper' games beyond the voice recognition. If it was any good, the devs would've jumped on it and would be pumping out Kinect compatible games all over the place. And everyone, including hardcore gamers, would own a Kinect.

Carbonek_0051
27-03-12, 00:27
Because it's a gimmick, inspired by the Wii (and we all know how popular that console is), and it's aimed at spazzy eight year-olds going hyper on sugar who love waving their arms about. Or overweight mothers who need exercising but can't be bothered to get their fat arses down the gym.

Beyond silly party games and exercise regimes the peripheral has no real use in 'proper' games beyond the voice recognition. If it was any good, the devs would've jumped on it and would be pumping out Kinect compatible games all over the place. And everyone, including hardcore gamers, would own a Kinect.

Way to generalize. I actually enjoy the Kinect, unlike the Wii at least it doesn't force gimmicks down people's throats and try to force it into where it's not needed. I played Mass Effect 3 with the Kinect and not once did it feel forced. I also have played Disneyland Kinect Adventures which is one of my favorite games of last year. Obviously Bioware saw some sort of potential if they integrated it into Mass Effect 3 a major AAA title. It worked really well and actually got some praise on the Kinect use.

I am a hardcore gamer and I plan on owning a Kinect, I just don't have the cash for one. So that's saying something. There is potential in the Kinect, it's just not being fully explored just yet but it's on it's way.

Spong
27-03-12, 01:18
There is potential in the Kinect, it's just not being fully explored just yet but it's on it's way.

I disagree, there's no potential in motion hardware so long as we're tethered down to looking at a TV. Sure, it's great for jumping up & down on the spot and waving your arms about like a spanner, but how would Kinect work in any 3D world where you have the ability to look around (as in moving your head to survey your surroundings from where you stand)? How would Kinect deal with moving around in such an environment? Would a player have to stand there and march on the spot like an idiot? How would they turn without losing sight of the TV?

The whole thing is fundamentally flawed, which is why devs can't be bothered to make anything more serious for the hardware than the most retarded of games that only appeal to the people I mentioned before.

The voice recognition though, God knows I wish they'd separate that from Kinect and make it a separate peripheral because that on its own has potential (once technology is good enough to deal with accents, something that is still problematic for that aspect of Kinect).