PDA

View Full Version : The Next PlayStation is Called Orbis, Sources Say. Here are the Details.

lcroft_lc
28-03-12, 14:55
http://kotaku.com/5896996/the-next-playstation-is-called-orbis-sources-say-here-are-the-details

Legend of Lara
28-03-12, 15:09
Sony has no plans to offer backwards compatibility for its existing catalogue of PS3 games.

If you buy the disc, it must be locked to a single PSN account

Don't think you can simply buy the disc and stay offline, though; like many PC games these days, you'll need to have a PSN account and be online to even get the thing started.

it's believed used games will be limited to a trial mode or some other form of content restriction, with consumers having to pay a fee to unlock/register the full game.

This is all so stupid it just has to be fake.

Sony, darlings, if you're actually doing this, I quit.

tombraidergale
28-03-12, 15:15
^ Your avatar actually fits your post XD

Anyway, this really sounds fake. Sony isn't THAT stupid, removing PS3 backwards compatibility would surely cause a huge backfire on them. And that thing about constant online... this is a console, not a PC. It's already a hassle on PC, I think that using this on consoles would be terrible :p

Zebra
28-03-12, 15:23
Why would it backfire on them? They removed the PS2 backwards compatability from the PS3 and most people were fine with that.

Diablo_Rosso
28-03-12, 15:34
If the next PlayStation doesn't use the Cell processor then BC isn't happening.

klona
28-03-12, 15:43
http://kotaku.com/5896996/the-next-playstation-is-called-orbis-sources-say-here-are-the-details

FAKE. :ton:

jajay119
28-03-12, 15:45
Orbis Vitae. I like that, it's very creative on Sony's part if this is true.

Also, the whole no backwards compatibility and locking to disk is no surprise. Sony have 3 consoles under their belt now so backwards compatibility is something that will probably be phased out now. And whether we like it or not, I think restrictions of use on games is the future. I like the idea that if you buy a physical version of the game that you could be entitled to the downloadable version free too though.

ajrich17901
28-03-12, 15:46
Not reading any of this nonsense, we won't be seeing the next Playstation for awhile anyway.

Spong
28-03-12, 15:48
Why would it backfire on them? They removed the PS2 backwards compatability from the PS3 and most people were fine with that.

You sure about that? I can recall thousands of PS3 owners being outraged when the backwards compatibility was removed, and I can speak of friends who decided against buying a PS3 because of it.

Not that I expect backwards compatibility from any of the next-gen machines. The tech seems like it's just too complicated and expensive for it to be viable.

interstellardave
28-03-12, 15:52
It's on now. This follows the rumors (that we all didn't really take to heart) that the next xbox would restrict used game play. To me it makes sense only if both companies do it. If only one tries this they will fail by comparison to the one that doesn't. If both plan on doing it then I feel it's much more likely that it will actually happen.

Bye bye used games.

ajrich17901
28-03-12, 15:53
It's on now. This follows the rumors (that we all didn't really take to heart) that the next xbox would restrict used game play. To me it makes sense only if both companies do it. If only one tries this they will fail by comparison to the one that doesn't. If both plan on doing it then I feel it's much more likely that it will actually happen.

Bye bye used games.

And goodbye Gamestop, Gamecrazy etc..less jobs =_=

Alex Fly
28-03-12, 15:53
Interesting stuff, thanks for posting.

Hope everything isn't true there because :

Won't be backwards compatible with PS3 games.
Will lock new games to a PSN account as an anti-used games measure.

No, thanks. :wve:

jajay119
28-03-12, 15:54

Do they not sell new games and consoles etc too?

lara c. fan
28-03-12, 15:56

They won't really make enough money off of that to stay as they are. The used games business basically keeps most game stores afloat.

ajrich17901
28-03-12, 15:56

There main money comes from used games.

Zebra
28-03-12, 15:58

Not really. Used games can still be sold. The difference is that you would have to pay a fee to actually play the full game if you buy it used. I would imagine stores like GameStop would start selling used games along with a PSN card to pay the unlock fee.

jajay119
28-03-12, 16:01
There main money comes from used games.
Well then they will just have to adapt. Shops for games existed long before the preowned market, there is no reason why they shouldn't exist after so long as they can contend with the online retailers.

interstellardave
28-03-12, 16:09
With used games being reduced to mere demos then you'd get even less in trade-in value than you do now because retailers would have to sell them at a greatly reduced rate right from day one. At a certain point I'm not sure it would be worth it to trade in your games... and that would kill the market too.

Not everyone buys used games... but they may trade in their games towards buying new ones. Are these companies overlooking that fact? New game sales will undoubtedly be reduced as a result of this.

Jami393
28-03-12, 16:23
I thought Sony had money issues that would interfere with the making a new console?

Sir Croft
28-03-12, 16:27
^I don't think halting the PS4 development would actually help them. New tech interests investors.

Well, as most next-gen rumors, this is probably fake. But I like the name.

Phlip
28-03-12, 16:27

Wow at all of those stupid points... I would actually stop gaming if **** like this ever happened.

interstellardave
28-03-12, 16:29
Well, just like I said when the xbox rumor came out... there's a chance that both companies are floating these ideas out there, just to see what response they'll get. They might back off if they sense too great of a backlash.

larson n natla
28-03-12, 16:32
It sounds a little sketchy but the backwards compatibility makes sense to me.

They would continue to ship the PS3 alongside this Orbis and introducing backwards compatibility would make sales for the PS3 in the years following the release of the console plummet. Sony always said that the PS3 would have a 10 year lifespan don't forget so support should continue until 2016.

igonge
28-03-12, 16:56
Boooooooooo!! :mad:

xLara_Nathanx
28-03-12, 16:58
Orbis? That sounds awesome! :jmp:

jackali
28-03-12, 16:59
I'm finding this hard to believe, frankly. They'd lose quite a sizeable lot of potential customers by forcing you to be online to play.

*laralover*
28-03-12, 16:59
This sounds stupid. Considering i always wait for games to get cheap before buying. If this became real id say :cen: you to new games!

Jester Head
28-03-12, 17:01
If those turn out to be correct, I'm not surprised, honestly. All of those make sense, considering how the industry has been acting for the latest couple of years.

One more reason to ignore non-portable console gaming, I guess.

Catracoth
28-03-12, 17:09
I smell fakeness.

Diablo_Rosso
28-03-12, 17:11
This ain't happening.

Spong
I'm finding this hard to believe, frankly. They'd lose quite a sizeable lot of potential customers by forcing you to be online to play.

You mean like the PC market? :p

MiCkiZ88
Technically it sounds fantastic, but locking games for one psn account sounds rubbish. That would mean I would have to buy the same game twice if I wanted to play on my profile and gather trophies or play online rather than on my bf's. Pure rubbish.

TRhalloween
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/208/e/0/this_is_a_load_of_barnacles____by_no0dle23-d41w1ge.png

Catracoth
28-03-12, 17:12
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/208/e/0/this_is_a_load_of_barnacles____by_no0dle23-d41w1ge.png

:vlol:
Yes!

Zebra
28-03-12, 17:14
Technically it sounds fantastic, but locking games for one psn account sounds rubbish. That would mean I would have to buy the same game twice if I wanted to play on my profile and gather trophies or play online rather than on my bf's. Pure rubbish.

That's the only thing I don't like. For example, if my brother buys a game and I want to play it with my PSN account, I won't be able to.

TRfan23
28-03-12, 18:51
I'm not going to trust any source besides Sony based on what the PS4 Hardware will be like, including any features :p
Why? Because I don't like the sound of the information in this source etc etc etc...

Any ways, onto why I really wanted to post in this thread:

For those of you who own a PS3, try out some of these gimmicky things out :)

http://www.edepot.com/playstation3.html#Super_Secrets

Especially the first paragraph, make sure to have a duster if you're PS3 is a dust magnet like the majority XD

If you already haven't and don't know about this that is ;)

b0bb13
28-03-12, 19:04
Wow, okay. So going by the rumours, Microsoft and Sony want to lose all of their customers by adding/removing all sorts of idiotic crap/lovely things no/every one wants in their unannounced consoles, while Nintendo don't seem to be changing much with the Wii U, except for that travesty they call a controller. Yayyy~

Any ways, onto why I really wanted to post in this thread:

For those of you who own a PS3, try out some of these gimmicky things out :)

http://www.edepot.com/playstation3.html#Super_Secrets

Especially the first paragraph, make sure to have a duster if you're PS3 is a dust magnet like the majority XD

If you already haven't and don't know about this that is ;)

You do realise that these gimmicky things can break your PS3, right? I'm especially referring to the fan test.

Ceamonks890
28-03-12, 19:29
Wow, are Sony and Microsoft trying to get themselves bankrupt, with these console suggestions(Well Sony, at least?)

-No backwards compatibility(not even with PS3 games:eek:)
-Not being able to play used games properly(which is unfair, since new games are very expensive to buy here in New Zealand:mad:)
-All your stuff locked to one PSN/Xbox Live account(No, just no:mad:)

This has fail written all over it. They need to reintroduce backwards compatibility for PS1, PS2 and PS3 games on PS4 and not introduce these ridiculous counter-measures, otherwise I fear they're be seriously out of pocket and loyal customers(including me.)

Phlip
28-03-12, 19:31
You mean like the PC market? :p

How? If anything there will be more PC gamers because it's easier to stay connected on a PC.

TRfan23
28-03-12, 19:33
You do realise that these gimmicky things can break your PS3, right? I'm especially referring to the fan test.

:eek:

I've done it like 3 sequential times :hea:

Either way my PS3 still seems to work fine at this very moment... :pi:

Spong
28-03-12, 21:05
How? If anything there will be more PC gamers because it's easier to stay connected on a PC.

Have you seen how popular the 'always on' DRM is with PC gamers? Pretty much everyone who uses a PC to play games hates it, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's led to an increase in pirating and/or hacked .exe's on PC.

Phlip
28-03-12, 21:07
Have you seen how popular the 'always on' DRM is with PC gamers? Pretty much everyone who uses a PC to play games hates it, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's led to an increase in pirating and/or hacked .exe's on PC.

Yeah but if it happens on consoles as well, logically surely people would be more inclined to game on their PC's out of convenience since they're already internet connected.

Spong
28-03-12, 21:24
Yeah but if it happens on consoles as well, logically surely people would be more inclined to game on their PC's out of convenience since they're already internet connected.

No, people would be more likely to turn to piracy in order to eradicate such restrictive DRM. PC players already don't like it, the fact that PCs are usually always online means nothing, it's not a convenience at all.

Phlip
28-03-12, 21:24
No, people would be more likely to turn to piracy in order to eradicate such restrictive DRM. PC already players don't like it, the fact that PCs are usually always online means nothing, it's not a convenience at all.

Well it's easier to pirate games on a PC isn't it, so even still more PC gamers? :o

Spong
28-03-12, 21:28
Well it's easier to pirate games on a PC isn't it, so even still more PC gamers? :o

Yeah, but not in the way devs & publishers want them to be. Look at Ubi and their awful track-record for strangling DRM. I've seen countless people say that they've resorted to illegal downloads purely because the games are hacked and don't require them to be always online. Piracy has skewed in recent years because of it, it's no longer about people just wanting stuff for free, a good portion of them are now doing it to get out from under a publisher's thumb.

Phlip
28-03-12, 21:31
Yeah, but not in the way devs & publishers want them to be. Look at Ubi and their awful track-record for strangling DRM. I've seen countless people say that they've resorted to illegal downloads purely because the games are hacked and don't require them to be always online. Piracy has skewed in recent years because of it, it's no longer about people just wanting stuff for free, a good portion of them are now doing it to get out from under a publisher's thumb.
I know this. I'm just saying yeah, people will want to pirate for those reasons, and it's far easier on PC and because of that the PC market will surely go up?
Yeah, but not in the way devs & publishers want them to be.

Pardon? :confused:

Spong
28-03-12, 21:35
Pardon? :confused:

I was just saying there'll be more PC gamers, but not in the way devs & publishers want because the gamers will be Jolly Rodgering their games.

Billy959
28-03-12, 21:45
hope is fake,I want ot keep my PS3 forever,I'm not ready for a PS4!

StefanJ94
28-03-12, 22:33
You know how many PC users there are that buy the game and still use a hacked executable to avoid all that bull**** the developers are forcing on them? :D

CLF
29-03-12, 00:18
Who is actually looking for a PS4 right now? (Besides IGN, who can't seem to shut up and stop poking sticks at nothing) The PS3 era is nowhere near over.

Shark_Blade
29-03-12, 00:25
Orbis sounds lame. :pi:

Activate game by getting logged in your SEN account online? Lame.

If it's true, au revoir Sony.

Legend of Lara
29-03-12, 00:27
Y'know, if PSN goes down, which it frequently does, TOO BAD LOL YOU DON'T GET TO PLAY 8D

Sir Croft
29-03-12, 01:27
Oh, it sucks, doesn't it? Before this, console players couldn't care less about Ubisoft's ****ty treatment to PC players by demanding internet connection while playing (I remember some supporting their decision, actually). The good thing is that it was only Ubisoft and a few other games for us. The bad thing is that Sony and Microsoft might force this for all games.

Catracoth
29-03-12, 01:38
I think what I'm most annoyed with is the account restrictions. So, that means no more renting video games for PS4 and no selling games. GameStop's going to take a hard hit with this.

voltz
29-03-12, 01:49
At least they won't have the industry's back to ride on anymore. 95-98% profit per title? My god man....

But used games are still a major part of the picture. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the link needed to get the next videogame crash started (god knows we're probably overdue for one).

Sir Croft
29-03-12, 01:52
If, at least, they cut the prices. But chances are new games will be even more expensive. :rolleyes:

voltz
29-03-12, 01:55
They'll never cut them.

I'll be worried if certain titles lose market support and end up in the hands of Ebay's price gougers.

Catracoth
29-03-12, 01:58
I don't know. I'm still skeptical on this console nonsense. I mean, I like buying preowned games because I can get them at a cheaper price than brand new, and if I'm unsatisfied, I can return the game within 7 days. That's how I do gaming, and if the Playstation 4 legitimately follows through with this, it looks like I'm going back to being a strict Xbox gamer. I don't even want to think about the possibility that Microsoft might follow in Sony's footsteps.

Sir Croft
29-03-12, 02:03
If one of them doesn't, the other one won't either. But, chances are they're throwing these rumors about as a less direct way to say "Hey, Microsoft, we think this might be a good idea! Wanna join?". And then both of them announce said "features".

voltz
29-03-12, 02:08
They could also be testing the waters on consumer reaction. This is a considerably worse spot compared to the likes of PSPGO where $ony thought they could just pull a fast one and expect us to go ga-ga, meh, not a big deal over it.

just*raidin*tomb
29-03-12, 02:12

Holy ****. It better be fake. If its not, the future of gaming doesn't look promising for me.

larafan25
29-03-12, 02:14
Me and Microsoft have already made exclusive DLC arrangements, so IDC Sony.

just*raidin*tomb
29-03-12, 02:16
What if you don't have any internet connected to your PS3 yet you still have a new game? Can you even play it?

I mean this would just be stupid.

Tombraiderx08
29-03-12, 02:17
I'm all about the Latin but it's becoming a bit overdone :p

larafan25
29-03-12, 02:17
I think you needed an Internet connection to play any of Unreal Tournament 3, if I remember correctly.

Catracoth
29-03-12, 02:19
What if you don't have any internet connected to your PS3 yet you still have a new game? Can you even play it?

Good point.

Legend of Lara
29-03-12, 02:19
The name reminds me of this (http://blazblue.wikia.com/wiki/Novus_Orbis_Librarium) hurr durr

Catracoth
29-03-12, 02:21
The name reminds me of this (http://blazblue.wikia.com/wiki/Novus_Orbis_Librarium) hurr durr

RFZrzg62Zj0

loljk

scoopy_loopy
29-03-12, 02:41
Dear Sony, why the hardon for latin lately?

SkyPuppy
29-03-12, 02:50
RFZrzg62Zj0

loljk

i lol'd.

seriously, if this is true, then i'm done with gaming for good.

aussie500
29-03-12, 02:57
Wow, are Sony and Microsoft trying to get themselves bankrupt, with these console suggestions(Well Sony, at least?)

-No backwards compatibility(not even with PS3 games:eek:)
-Not being able to play used games properly(which is unfair, since new games are very expensive to buy here in New Zealand:mad:)
-All your stuff locked to one PSN/Xbox Live account(No, just no:mad:)

This has fail written all over it. They need to reintroduce backwards compatibility for PS1, PS2 and PS3 games on PS4 and not introduce these ridiculous counter-measures, otherwise I fear they're be seriously out of pocket and loyal customers(including me.)

Sony get nothing from the sale of used games, so I doubt they will feel out of pocket if the only way you are going to be playing the full game is to buy it new. It all seems likely to me except the release date. Even if they are releasing prototype development kits now, that does not mean the PS4 is coming out next year. Each generation it takes longer to make the games, they want good launch titles 2014 seems more likely.

This will not affect me at all, I buy my games new anyway, all my next gen consoles are online when I play, and I have NO INTENTIONS (at the moment) of buying any more next gen consoles. I have plenty of games to play, enough to keep me happy for decades. I will retire from gaming long before I run out of games to play for the 7 consoles I already own. Gaming is for the young and if even an oldie like me can manage to have the consoles online I see no reason why the younger generation with all their online gadgets cannot.

SoupCard
29-03-12, 03:27
I was hoping the PS4 would be backwards compatible. That's a bummer if this is true.

Locking out used games is pretty smart, but really annoying.

Catracoth
29-03-12, 03:37
Locking out used games is pretty smart, but really annoying.

How is it even smart?

SoupCard
29-03-12, 03:53
How is it even smart?

Because they force people to buy the game new, not used where developers see none of the money. And I doubt the backlash from the fans for adding something like this will be substantial enough to make a difference in their sales, so that's why I think it's smart. I'm not saying I agree with it.

scoopy_loopy
29-03-12, 03:58
^ I think it will hurt the sales tbqh. People realising they're going to be forced to spend $100+ on each new game instead of what it would cost pre-owned... well I can see it turning off parents for one thing.

Shark_Blade
29-03-12, 04:02
Like Soupcard said, developers wont get any money for pre-owned games. Only the people who buy it new is injecting sales into their pocket.

By implementing this, the people who buy pre-owned will have no choice but to buy new games. This will boost sales. It is smart in term of business perspective.

just*raidin*tomb
29-03-12, 04:12
Even if it doesn't hurt Sony's sales, what about game retail stores like Gamestop? A lot of their sales rely heavily on used game purchases. I've gotten a lot of my games from there for about 15 to 30 dollars cheaper because I can't afford to pay full price for games. Although...as long as there are still price drops I'm not particularly partial to the idea. I just think its unnecessary and it seems greedy to me.

TRLegendLuver
29-03-12, 04:33
It's completely bogus and utterly fake. The whole entire article is ridiculous. Sony may not be the brightest crayon in the box, but their certainly not the stupidest.

Shark_Blade
29-03-12, 04:37
Even if it doesn't hurt Sony's sales, what about game retail stores like Gamestop? A lot of their sales rely heavily on used game purchases. I've gotten a lot of my games from there for about 15 to 30 dollars cheaper because I can't afford to pay full price for games. Although...as long as there are still price drops I'm not particularly partial to the idea. I just think its unnecessary and it seems greedy to me.

Time changes the way people do business, nothing is always constant and stable.

So if it does happen like that, gamestop and other companies like it will have to reimagine itself, change the way it does things. Maybe sell new games only, etc.

Sony wouldn't care, they have to prioritze their own profit and security first.

Spong
29-03-12, 12:05

It might remind you, maybe. But no one else :p

Legend of Lara
29-03-12, 12:08
It might remind you, maybe. But no one else :p

No one else here. Ididn'tnoticeituntilsomeoneelsepointeditout.

Spong
29-03-12, 12:11
No one else here.

Define 'here', I assume you mean this planet :ton:

Ididn'tnoticeituntilsomeoneelsepointeditout.

And you have the audacity to call yourself a fan!? You should be ashamed of yourself :smk:

Legend of Lara
29-03-12, 12:13
Define 'here', I assume you mean this planet :ton:

No, by "here" I meant your mom's house.

HIGH-FIVE.

ANYONE?

NO?

OKAY.

Chocola teapot
29-03-12, 12:22
Of the next gen consoles, I'm planning on buying the PS4.

Orbis sounds... Eh.

If the rest of the news is true, I kindaaaaa don't mind, I like to buy my games new anyway.

Zebra
29-03-12, 12:23
It seems like people haven't read the article properly. It doesn't say that you can't sell, buy or play used games anymore. It only says that, to get full access to a used game, you will have to pay a one-time fee. Depending on how much unlocking the full game is actually going to cost, selling and buying used games might still be profitable.

Sir Croft
29-03-12, 12:24
Basically, it's the online-pass but with more limitations.

Legend of Lara
29-03-12, 12:25
Of the next gen consoles, I'm planning on buying the PS4.

Orbis sounds... Eh.

If the rest of the news is true, I kindaaaaa don't mind, I like to buy my games new anyway.

That's what you say ~now~, but you'll prolly jump ship to Nextbox once they announce exclusive DLC for TR Overworld.

>:I

Zebra
29-03-12, 12:27
Actually, I think this is better than the stuff some publishers are doing right now. I find it annoying to be forced to download half the game even though I have bought it new. This way people who buy a new game at least don't get "punished". The only thing I dislike about this new system is that a game will be tied to one PSN account.

Chocola teapot
29-03-12, 12:29
That's what you say ~now~, but you'll prolly jump ship to Nextbox once they announce exclusive DLC for TR Overworld.

>:I

I didn't even buy the Underworld DLC. ;D

Spong
29-03-12, 12:33
It seems like people haven't read the article properly. It doesn't say that you can't sell, buy or play used games anymore. It only says that, to get full access to a used game, you will have to pay a one-time fee. Depending on how much unlocking the full game is actually going to cost, selling and buying used games might still be profitable.

This :tmb:

Catracoth
29-03-12, 12:36

So what? It's still stupid.

Miharu
29-03-12, 12:54

^^This. Oh whatever, I'm playing videogames less and less, so I don't think it will affect me much, I'm content with the PS3/360 games I've got. :)

But the lack of backwards compatibility and the fact you can only play games on one PSN account then have to be charged is fricken-retarded.

Oh and online sounds stupid too, I mean yeah this is a generation where almost everyone has an internet connection, but I don't know it's just.

Everything about the Orbis is just ... >_<

Catracoth
29-03-12, 12:55
Orbis is just an all around fail, and it hasn't even been released yet.

dream raider
29-03-12, 13:13
Orbis is just an all around fail, and it hasn't even been released yet.

Seems that way, doesn't it? So disappointing.

Spong
29-03-12, 13:21

So buying games cheaper, and not having the dev/publisher/platform holder see any of the money, is all that matters to you? :confused:

An attitude like that will see gaming collapse far quicker than the 'pre-owned lock' strategy both MS and Sony have been contemplating for their next machines. I occasionally buy pre-owned games and it genuinely irks me that the money goes nowhere but into the pockets of the stores, the people who made the games and machines I play them on see none of it. But your opinion implies that doesn't matter. If we all took the same stance, we can kiss goodbye to the pastime we all love so much.

peeves
29-03-12, 13:22
I've heard news about Orbis and it sounds so stupid because you can't play certain games on Orbis such as TR6.

Legend of Lara
29-03-12, 13:27
I've heard news about Orbis and it sounds so stupid because you can't play certain games on Orbis such as TR6.

You already can't play that on PS3. :/

(unless you have an old one)

ajrich17901
29-03-12, 13:28
First I was against this...then I realized I hardly ever buy a game used O_o so I guess I'm for this after all. lol
Gamestop hates me, they always try to make me buy used but I refuse.

Zelda master
29-03-12, 13:36
I'm amazed how negative people here are actually towards the rumors of the new Playstation :p

ajrich17901
29-03-12, 13:37
I'm amazed how negative people here are actually towards the rumors of the new Playstation :p

I'm not lmao

Spong
29-03-12, 13:47

I think it's more that one aspect about pre-owned games that's annoying people.

Pietras
29-03-12, 14:10
The worst part? It's most likely legit since Sony has Orbis website for developers... http://orbis.scedev.net/

Which probably mean the rumors about new Xbox curring of used games is also true. Next gen gonna be even more anti-consumer than this one yay...

Legend of Lara
29-03-12, 14:11
I think it's more that one aspect about pre-owned games that's annoying people.

It's less that for me and more locking games to single PSN accounts, always having to be online, no PS3 BC, etc.

Spong
29-03-12, 14:13
It's less that for me and more locking games to single PSN accounts, always having to be online, no PS3 BC, etc.

Having games tied to one account wouldn't bother me, nor does the lack of backwards compatibility. But the 'always on' thing is crappy, not to mention what you brought up yesterday about the potential problem of the network going down.

Miharu
29-03-12, 14:42
The backwards compatibility is a big thing for me considering I spent so much on PS3 games in the first place, if I was ever to get a Playstation Orbit then one of my consoles would have to go out the window.

As I said though, I don't think I will get a PS4 or the new Xbox. I'm not playing games as I used to. So it would be no big loss for me. :) but still annoying. >_>

Zebra
29-03-12, 14:52

So what? That's completely different to "it won't let you play used games anymore" and that's what many people thought it said. I thought someone should clear that up but, apparently, I was wrong :rolleyes:.

Dark Lugia 2
29-03-12, 14:57
Lol, people said all sorts about the PS3 when rumors started and it still sold well.

Console gamers will succumb to the next-gen of consoles even if Sony and MS impose these new restrictions, unless they move to PC. How else will they get their next-gen gaming fix?

Zelda master
29-03-12, 15:11
Lol, people said all sorts about the PS3 when rumors started and it still sold well.

Console gamers will succumb to the next-gen of consoles even if Sony and MS impose these new restrictions, unless they move to PC. How else will they get their next-gen gaming fix?

The only reason why it sold halfway decent was the pricedrop to 300,-, before hand the system was quite litterly doomed at the pricepoint that it was at...

Dark Lugia 2
29-03-12, 15:14
Really? I remember it was selling like hot cakes when it came out here :o

Zelda master
29-03-12, 15:19
No the PS3 started getting off once the price came down to 300,- before that it was selling very poorly actually :)

Dark Lugia 2
29-03-12, 15:26
Ah ok, must be my memory :o

interstellardave
29-03-12, 15:39
People don't even have to want to buy used games to be affected by this... they may just want to trade in games to defer some of the cost of buying new ones. That will be hampered even more than it is now, if used games become little more than demos because trade in value will be next to nothing.

I think developers should get into the used game business if they want a piece of the action and then MS and Sony won't have to take these actions.

Spong
29-03-12, 15:41
I think developers should get into the used game business if they want a piece of the action and then MS and Sony won't have to take these actions.

Aren't some devs doing that already with the passes that come bundled with some new games?

Sir Croft
29-03-12, 15:42
^Games with online features, yes. But some are even blocking actual game content through the codes, like Arkham City (Blocked Catwoman chapters).

Spong
29-03-12, 15:50
^Games with online features, yes. But some are even blocking actual game content through the codes, like Arkham City (Blocked Catwoman chapters).

I originally did say 'online passes', but I deleted the 'online' before I posted because that obviously doesn't apply to every game :p

Again, I don't have a problem with blocking content that way really. It's ironic you mention Arkham City, it's a game I want and I've seen plenty of pre-owned copies, but I know about the blocked content so I've not bought it. Instead, I'm just waiting for the game to pop up in a sale.

EDIT
Some sketches, titled as "Illustrations & Sketches for new PlayStation Orbis features" reportedly show a possible peripheral linked to the new machine. They were posted on a design website and then promptly taken down again. Full story at Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/5897139/sketches-of-playstation-orbis-features-surface-then-disappear). These are the images...

http://i.imgur.com/1znrp.png

http://i.imgur.com/rQM4p.png

DragonSlayer
29-03-12, 18:17
If this were true removing backwards compatibility would be a very stupid thing to do and would quite possibly be the kiss of death to sony because no one would buy something that refuses to let them play their PS3 games.

oocladableeblah
29-03-12, 19:13
As long as I can buy physical copies of games I am fine with the locking it to my account.

The only problems I have with this is the online required bull****, it's like steam, I shouldn't have to be online to play game that are single player. I also don't like lack of backwards compatibility. I'm sick of having to hook my ps2 up just to play a ps2 game, I just don't bother anymore.

idk why they can't just put an emulator of a ps1/2/3 on the next console.

OR

If I own a physical copy of a ps1/2/3 make it so some way I can scan the barcode and then that unlocks a copy on my psn account that I can have digitally.

lara c. fan
29-03-12, 19:17
A PS3 emulator will take up what's known as a "****-ton of power". If Sony are indeed going for an AMD and not a Cell, then they won't have anything near the same internal workings as the Cell, and I highly doubt that either the AMD processor could emulate the Cell or that Sony would stick a Cell chip on the board for PS3 BC. :p

oocladableeblah
29-03-12, 19:19
Okay well maybe not a ps3 emulator, but a ps1/2 one should be fine :p

Edit- as much as we can complain about this anti piracy stuff, we also have to blame ourselves. If people wouldn't pirate movies, music, or games. Then companies wouldn't have to create these systems to try and prevent it. As far as buying used games... well that's a grey area I guess, cause not everyone can afford new games. Though idk how much piracy goes on with console games, I mainly just here about it for PC games.

Alpharaider47
29-03-12, 21:47
Considering how the PS3 fared against the PS2... Good luck with that Sony :whi:

voltz
29-03-12, 22:26
Considering how the PS3 fared against the PS2... Good luck with that Sony :whi:

At least it was better then the way Micro$oft handled XBOX vs 360. (Hint: XBOX was pulled from market.)

As long as I can buy physical copies of games I am fine with the locking it to my account.

http://www.winningprogressive.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/mister-money-bags.jpg

AmIright?

Legend of Lara
29-03-12, 22:44
Edit- as much as we can complain about this anti piracy stuff, we also have to blame ourselves. If people wouldn't pirate movies, music, or games. Then companies wouldn't have to create these systems to try and prevent it. As far as buying used games... well that's a grey area I guess, cause not everyone can afford new games. Though idk how much piracy goes on with console games, I mainly just here about it for PC games.

None of this is because of piracy.

It's just greed and laziness.

Alpharaider47
29-03-12, 23:07
At least it was better then the way Micro$oft handled XBOX vs 360. (Hint: XBOX was pulled from market.)

The xbox 360 is... what's that called...? Backwards compatible :whi: in most cases

voltz
29-03-12, 23:19
The xbox 360 is... what's that called...? Backwards compatible :whi: in most cases

Nope, it's emulated. Poorly in some cases...

oocladableeblah
30-03-12, 04:12
None of this is because of piracy.

It's just greed and laziness.

If no one pirated or even bought used games, why would they need to do this? I agree it has to do with greed.

Just trying to put another side to the discussion.

aussie500
30-03-12, 06:43
If this were true removing backwards compatibility would be a very stupid thing to do and would quite possibly be the kiss of death to sony because no one would buy something that refuses to let them play their PS3 games.

I doubt not having backwards compatibility would make that much difference to most gamers. It is only a recent thing that cheapskates demanded they be able to play games from a previous console on a newer one. It was never going to last. You buy the new console to play new games, you want to play old ones you keep your old console same as you had to when gaming first became popular. Or just wait for them to develop some hand held gadget that will play PS3 games and they will make you buy yet another version of the games you already own.

robm_2007
30-03-12, 06:47
I doubt not having backwards compatibility would make that much difference to most gamers. It is only a recent thing that cheapskates demanded they be able to play games from a previous console on a newer one. It was never going to last. You buy the new console to play new games, you want to play old ones you keep your old console same as you had to when gaming first became popular. Or just wait for them to develop some hand held gadget that will play PS3 games and they will make you buy yet another version of the games you already own.

I think that that makes sense. I mean, I already have a PS3, and don't plan to get rid of it (I still have a PS2 :p). People should just keep their old consoles in order to play the old games; even still, the PS3 is worth keeping, as the games age really well.

Having said that, I would really like if the PS4 was BC. It would reduce clutter and make the investment of the new console worth it more.

Catracoth
30-03-12, 06:48
I doubt not having backwards compatibility would make that much difference to most gamers. It is only a recent thing that cheapskates demanded they be able to play games from a previous console on a newer one.

It's not a matter of being "cheap."
I enjoy the backward compatibility so I don't have to have three Playstation consoles wired into my television. Same goes for the two Xbox consoles.

Alpharaider47
30-03-12, 06:54
Nope, it's emulated. Poorly in some cases...

And still better than Sony's. Having *something* is better than nothing.

aussie500
30-03-12, 07:30
It's not a matter of being "cheap."
I enjoy the backward compatibility so I don't have to have three Playstation consoles wired into my television. Same goes for the two Xbox consoles.

In which case you will probably be one to save clutter and buy digital versions of your old games to play on the latest mini gadget. :p Sony is encouraging people to buy PS1 games and they have not sold a PS1 for years. They will continue to support the retro gamers, so long as the retrogamers are willing to buy digital versions, and yet something else to play them on.

I will put up with the clutter of sticking to my old consoles.

jackali
30-03-12, 09:23
In which case you will probably be one to save clutter and buy digital versions of your old games to play on the latest mini gadget. :p Sony is encouraging people to buy PS1 games and they have not sold a PS1 for years. They will continue to support the retro gamers, so long as the retrogamers are willing to buy digital versions, and yet something else to play them on.

I don't mind the clutter, and I do think it's good that they're trying to support the ability to play older games still...
But my problem is that they expect you to buy a game you've already bought to get the digital version. I know there wouldn't be an easy system to put in place to change it, but I would love to be able to send them proof of ownership in order to not have to buy a game I already own.

interstellardave
30-03-12, 11:19

Digital versions of old games would be great... if the options were far more numerous. There are so many old games (probably 99.9% when you think about it) that are not available for download on PSN, XBLA, and the Wii Store--and never will be.

Even the worst videogame store you can find has copies of older games on hand that can only be purchased on disc or cartridge. And most are only used at this point too. Apparently these console companies want to make retro gaming impossible unless you actually do own all the older machines and are willing to hook and unhook them on a regular basis.

Agent 47
30-03-12, 23:18
I don't have a problem with Sony potentially giving it's next console a name as there comes a point when using a number gets old :pi:

Also they're in a no win scenario anyway..

Folks moan it won't have B/C
Folks moan because it does have B/C but the price is too damn high because of said B/C

I say screw B/C and release the product as cheap and competitive as you can get away with. Let the moaners moan. Those who want one will buy one those that don't won't. Same applies to the next Xbox too. :D

robm_2007
31-03-12, 07:31
I'm certain that they will make more than one version at launch, they could just make one of them be non-BC and another BC.

Ceamonks890
31-03-12, 08:11
One can only hope. I actually want to be able to play my old games on the PS4/Orbis:mad:

Dream_Raider
31-03-12, 10:08
And here I just got my PS3.... :/

Shark_Blade
31-03-12, 10:23
I think I'll wait for the Orbis Slim or something.

My fat PS3 died because of Uncharted 3! Suffice to say, it's coding was mainly for the slims, hence many fat PS3 shutsdown and died due to that fiasco. It's all over ND forum.

Never again.

dream raider
01-04-12, 11:08
Not including Backwards Compatibility is STUPID. They lose sales that way. Someone whose first console is the PS4, and wants to buy and play a PS3 game, wouldn't be able to! They lose customers that way! Also when I got my PS3, I discovered PS2 games which I wanted to play but wasn't able to because of no BC. Why punish us this way? It seems completely pointless to me.

trfanX34
01-04-12, 11:16
Not including Backwards Compatibility is STUPID. They lose sales that way. Someone whose first console is the PS4, and wants to buy and play a PS3 game, wouldn't be able to! They lose customers that way! Also when I got my PS3, I discovered PS2 games which I wanted to play but wasn't able to because of no BC. Why punish us this way? It seems completely pointless to me.

It makes the production of the console cheaper, among a lot of other reasons.

Shark_Blade
01-04-12, 11:31
Not to mention it promotes ongoing sales of PS3 even when Orbis is launched.
More money for Sony.

Shark_Blade
01-04-12, 11:32
Not to mention it promotes ongoing sales of PS3 even when Orbis is launched.
More money for Sony.

jajay119
01-04-12, 11:50
First world problems much? Backwards compatibility is a creation of the last 20 years. When i bought a sega saturn i didn't care that i couldnt play my mega drive games on it, like wise with the Dreamcast and the Gamecube. Why? Because i wanted to play the games made for that console. Saying 'people won't buy it' because there is no backwards compatibility is stupid, they will because they have with the PS3 and if Sony, MS and Nintendo all remove BC from their consoles then people have no choice but to accept it. The gaming world existed before BC and with the increase of digital media and HD rereleases it will exist after it.

Phlip
01-04-12, 13:50
I think there's definitely no excuse whatsoever to dis-include PS1 and PS2 emulation, which costs nothing. Even though Sony have proved they're abhorrent at emulating their own systems, they need to find a way to actually improve it.

jajay119
01-04-12, 14:15
It clearly does cost something otherwise they wouldn't have disincluded the PS2's emotion engine hardware from later PS3 models when they wanted to cut production costs. Whether people believe it or not Sony do not do things to annoy their customers.

The main reason why Sony should stop including BC is because this is their 4th console. They cannot go on forever incorporating past technology into their current consoles, it would be costly and impractical. By the time that the next generation comes, prices of PS3s could be well below 100 even less if you buy preowned which is what people will do. Given the rumours that MS are preparing to release another revision of the 360 which is set to cost around or less than $100 I do not believe they will include backwards compatibility in their next console either (they didn't even include full BC in the 360 for original xbox games). They will introduce a cheaper model of the 360 that people will not have a problem buying when their new consoles come, or release HD re-releases like we have seen towards the latter end of this gen.

FloTheMachine
01-04-12, 14:31
I wonder why the PS3 stopped the feature where you couldn't play PS2 games but you can play PS1? Odd. :pi:

jajay119
01-04-12, 14:42
As far as I know, it is because the PS3 plays PS1 games using software emulation entirely. The PS2 games need software and hardware support. The harware was cut from later PS3 models.

Tear
01-04-12, 14:59
^ A shame, really. :/

jajay119
01-04-12, 15:01
Well, surprisingly, I have just read an article with an interview with one of Sony's employees who stated that the removal of PS2 support from PS3 models was less about saving money and more about getting entry level gamers attracted to the PS3 games instead of PS2 games. If true then that just highlights an even higher chance for no BC next gen. I think that it is something that people are going to have to get used to, to be honest.

trlestew
01-04-12, 16:48

Yeah...

This can't be real.

MaRas
01-04-12, 21:06
I'm going to miss BC a lot - I used to play lots of Xbox games on 360 - Morrowind, Splinter Cell etc. I also have a large collection of PSX games on PS3. Very often they are more fun than the current big titles.

I believe Sony will let us play the games we bought on PSN though.

just*raidin*tomb
01-04-12, 21:25
I'm going to be really sad when this generation starts dying. I know things have to keep moving and I'm willing to accept there won't be any backwards compatibility, but it's just been such a great generation imo. It would be sad to see it go SO quickly it feels like. I feel that developers are only just beginning to use this generation fully. There's still so much room for developers to actually create more great games now that it seems most of the technical issues with the PS3 have "solved" if you will.

Atlantisfreak
02-04-12, 19:35
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1222124p1.html

i dunno what to think of this. :pi: Let's just hope nothing in the op is true :)

Agent 47
02-04-12, 20:34
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1222124p1.html

i dunno what to think of this. :pi: Let's just hope nothing in the op is true :)

Thanks for posting :)

I think before we the gamers get up in arms about what the next gen consoles can and can't do we need to wait for official word from the manufactureres.

Speculation is fun but getting irritated by products that don't exist yet is foolish. Lets wait until Sony & Microsoft confirm what their new consoles can do before we get angry based on rumours :D

Phlip
02-04-12, 21:17
It clearly does cost something otherwise they wouldn't have disincluded the PS2's emotion engine hardware from later PS3 models when they wanted to cut production costs. Whether people believe it or not Sony do not do things to annoy their customers.
They stopped including software compatibility so people would continue buying PS2's so Sony could make money, and probably because they were able to sell PS2 games via PSN like now.
Well, surprisingly, I have just read an article with an interview with one of Sony's employees who stated that the removal of PS2 support from PS3 models was less about saving money and more about getting entry level gamers attracted to the PS3 games instead of PS2 games. If true then that just highlights an even higher chance for no BC next gen. I think that it is something that people are going to have to get used to, to be honest.

I personally believe he was talking horse****.

I stand by what I said about there being no excuse to put in good software compatibility.

Sir Croft
02-04-12, 21:39
"We think the PS3 will last ten years..."

Yeeeeeah...

Agent 47
02-04-12, 21:51
"We think the PS3 will last ten years..."

Yeeeeeah...

Any reason to doubt it wont :confused: *looks at PS2 - the console that wont die*

voltz
03-04-12, 00:53
Unless they want to repeat Micro$oft, we can still run PS3 for another 2-3 years before they decide it's time to hack off all services, retail, etc.

Of course every game is going to have a superior port one way or another.

voltz
06-04-12, 00:02
Patcher has his opinion on the matter. Link (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/341908/retailers-wont-stock-ps4-if-it-blocks-used-games-says-pachter/)