PDA

View Full Version : Grand Theft Auto (Series)

Catracoth
28-03-12, 17:06
http://i39.************/2cfzmp.png

Grand Theft Auto (commonly abbreviated GTA) is a multi-award-winning video game series created in the United Kingdom by Dave Jones, then later by brothers Dan Houser and Sam Houser, and game designer Zachary Clarke. It is primarily developed by British developer Rockstar North (formerly DMA Design) and published by Rockstar Games. The name of the series is derived from grand theft auto, a term referring to motor vehicle theft.

The series is set in fictional locales heavily modelled on American cities, while an expansion for the original was based in London. Gameplay focuses on an open world where the player can choose missions to progress an overall story, as well as engaging in side activities, all consisting of action-adventure, driving, occasional role-playing, stealth, and racing elements. The subject of the games is usually a comedic satire of American culture, but the series has gained controversy for its adult nature and violent themes. The series focuses around many different protagonists who attempt to rise through the ranks of the criminal underworld, although their motives for doing so vary in each game. The antagonists are commonly characters who have betrayed the protagonist or his organisation, or characters who have the most impact impeding the protagonist's progress.

GTA era
1961 London, 1961
1969 London, 1969
1997 Grand Theft Auto

GTA 2 era
1999 Grand Theft Auto 2

GTA III era
1984 Vice City Stories
1986 Vice City
1992 San Andreas
1998 Liberty City Stories
2000 Advance
2001 Grand Theft Auto III

GTA IV era
2008 Grand Theft Auto IV
The Lost and Damned
The Ballad of Gay Tony
2009 Chinatown Wars

GTA V era
TBA Grand Theft Auto V

Weemanply109
28-03-12, 17:18
Good thread idea. :tmb:

My favourite GTA is definitely GTA: SA and GTA IV. I just think GTA IV lacked proper humour and was too serious and had a crappy protagonist and characters. I hope the next instalment is more laid back.

Catracoth
28-03-12, 17:20
Well I don't think there's anything wrong with having a more serious instalment. I mean, given the theme and setting, it was very fitting. GTA isn't about humour and silliness. That's Saints Row's territory.

Sir Croft
28-03-12, 17:22
Well I don't think there's anything wrong with having a more serious instalment. I mean, given the theme and setting, it was very fitting. GTA isn't about humour and silliness. That's Saints Row's territory.
GTA has always been about humour, silliness and over the top action.

Spong
28-03-12, 17:24
GTA isn't about humour and silliness.

Maybe not overtly, but it was very tongue-in-cheek, which was always its appeal. It never took itself seriously and had an air about it that you were participating in a cartoon parody of real life. GTAIV lost that completely by taking itself too seriously (until TBoGT came along) and is the main reason why people (including myself) dislike it in comparison.

I hope to God GTAV brings back the silliness.

Catracoth
28-03-12, 17:24
GTA has always been about humour, silliness and over the top action.

To a degree.

AmericanAssassin
28-03-12, 17:28
I think a humor level in between San Andreas and IV would be perfect. I liked that they tried for a more serious approach and, in fact, IV is my second favorite installment in the series (only getting beat out by Vice City). I never want humor and silliness at the level of Saint's Row, which to be honest is ridiculous and so stupid that I can't even find it fun. I do not want V to be like that.

Weemanply109
28-03-12, 17:31
This thread has quickly turned into a 'General Saints Row Thread'. :/

What's with all the comparisons? I never meant to that degree, I think that the level of humour in Saints Row shouldn't ever be conveyed into a GTA game, and I think that sometimes the humour in Saints Row is just OTT and not funny, but GTA has always been about humour and action. Like aforementioned.

Sir Croft
28-03-12, 17:32
^Mentioning the game doesn't make it the General Saints Row Thread. Comparisons will be made because the first Saints Row is a shameless GTA rip-off.
To a degree.
Of course, it's nowhere near as over the top as Saints Row, but it lost all its silliness in GTAIV, it was too dark, too grim for a GTA title. And that's only about the story, but the gameplay also had its role in making GTAIV way too serious (Aiming for realism, etc.).

Carbonek_0051
28-03-12, 17:34
Of course, it's nowhere near as over the top as Saints Row, but it lost all its silliness in GTAIV, it was too dark, too grim for a GTA title. And that's only about the story, but the gameplay also had its role in making GTAIV way too serious (Aiming for realism, etc.).

Word.

Catracoth
28-03-12, 18:01

Games evolve, do they not? I mean, while it doesn't stick to the original roots of the previous GTA titles, I don't see any harm in taking a different spin. How else will Rockstar know what works for them and what they could do well if they don't experiment?

Last I checked, GTA IV was very well received and the new mechanics only earned minor complaints. I doubt GTA 5 will go back to the gameplay mechanics of say, San Andreas.

Carbonek_0051
28-03-12, 18:05
And some fans don't like the change. What's the issue?

Last I checked everything critics said were their opinions, not facts.

Catracoth
28-03-12, 18:09
And some fans don't like the change. What's the issue?

Why so hostile?

Weemanply109
28-03-12, 18:12
I don't think Nate's being hostile, he's just stating his opinion. I agree though, Critics opinions aren't really facts though. :o

You're totally right about evolving though, the realistic approach in GTA IV isn't a killer, I just think that the series would be better if it was more humour orientated, however I don't mind if the continue in the same direction. The game was still fun.

Carbonek_0051
28-03-12, 18:13
Why so hostile?

I'm not being hostile, I just don't see why you're so defensive over people not liking the changes made to the GTA formula. http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae35/Lara_Super_Fan/e47.gif

I don't think Nate's being hostile, he's just stating his opinion. I agree though, Critics opinions aren't really facts though. :o
Exactly.
however I don't mind if the continue in the same direction. The game was still fun.
Ballad of Gay Tony was fun. GTAIV & tLatD was not. They bored me beyond belief. I had to push myself through them.

Mad Tony
28-03-12, 18:13
Maybe not overtly, but it was very tongue-in-cheek, which was always its appeal. It never took itself seriously and had an air about it that you were participating in a cartoon parody of real life. GTAIV lost that completely by taking itself too seriously (until TBoGT came along) and is the main reason why people (including myself) dislike it in comparison.

I hope to God GTAV brings back the silliness.Did GTA IV really take itself too seriously though? The in-game world was still full of parodies and jokes.

Carbonek_0051
28-03-12, 18:15
Did GTA IV really take itself too seriously though? The in-game world was still full of parodies and jokes.

Compared to previous games? Yes, it did take itself a little too seriously.

Mad Tony
28-03-12, 18:16
Compared to previous games? Yes, it did take itself a little too seriously.Only compared to the previous games. Even then, I don't think the difference is as big as people make it out to be.

Catracoth
28-03-12, 18:16
I'm not being hostile, I just don't see why you're so defensive over people not liking the changes made to the GTA formula.

I'm not being defensive, I'm just trying to explain that Rockstar needs to dip their toes in other pools to see in what areas they can swim, so to speak.

Spong
28-03-12, 18:17
Compared to previous games? Yes, it did take itself a little too seriously.

That :tmb:
Along with the added realism to the gameplay itself, it turned the driving into a complete chore, it wasn't fun at all.

Carbonek_0051
28-03-12, 18:20
Only compared to the previous games. Even then, I don't think the difference is as big as people make it out to be.
No, it was a big difference. Tbh I didn't feel like I was playing a GTA game.
I'm not being defensive, I'm just trying to explain that Rockstar needs to dip their toes in other pools to see in what areas they can swim, so to speak.
Realism is not a place they should be putting their toes in with GTA.
That :tmb:
Along with the added realism to the gameplay itself, it turned the driving into a complete chore, it wasn't fun at all.
Yup. Driving was AWFUL. It used to be loads of fun. Tbh, they took away a lot of the fun factor in GTA by adding realism.

Mad Tony
28-03-12, 18:22
No, it was a big difference. Tbh I didn't feel like I was playing a GTA game.I don't think it was at all. Silliness and jokes (which were still present in IV anyway) aren't the only aspects of a GTA game.

Carbonek_0051
28-03-12, 18:29
I don't think it was at all. Silliness and jokes (which were still present in IV anyway) aren't the only aspects of a GTA game.
Really? I haven't played all the other games, so I didn't know that. lol

Seriously though, I know this already. But the fun factor was gone, not just the humor. What happened to missions where we flew around a remote controlled helicopter? What happened to the silly over the top fun missions? They all disappeared for "oh so serious" missions. Ballad of Gay Tony at least made an attempt to bring them back (gold missile shooting helicopter anyone? :D), that's what I want to see in GTA again.

Spong
28-03-12, 18:31
What happened to missions where we flew around a remote controlled helicopter? What happened to the silly over the top fun missions?

Sing it :yah:
I still miss the Kill Frenzies :(

Sir Croft
28-03-12, 18:32
Exploration isn't the only aspect of a Tomb Raider game. /logic

Catracoth
28-03-12, 18:32
Realism is not a place they should be putting their toes in with GTA.

Well if one doesn't like the realism in GTA, one can always migrate to Saints Row's territory. :)

Carbonek_0051
28-03-12, 18:33
^That's gotten too over the top. The first one was fun, the second one was borderlining too over the top, the third one just got crazy.

And thanks for patronizing me, Mason. I am expressing what I want back in GTA, sorry if you don't like it.
Sing it :yah:
I still miss the Kill Frenzies :(
Amen, bro! Kill Frenzies need to be back. I also miss those pills that slowed you down. :pi:
Exploration isn't the only aspect of a Tomb Raider game. /logic
+1

Sir Croft
28-03-12, 18:33
Ahh, those pills... It was so awesome to punch hookers to death in slow motion.

Carbonek_0051
28-03-12, 18:35
Ahh, those pills... It was so awesome to punch hookers to death in slow motion.

So I'm not the only one... :pi:

Mad Tony
28-03-12, 18:36
Exploration isn't the only aspect of a Tomb Raider game. /logicThat's absolutely correct.

Carbonek_0051
28-03-12, 18:39
Way to ignore the point I made. :cool:

Mad Tony
28-03-12, 18:41
Way to ignore the point I made. :cool:Yes, because not replying to a post automatically means it was ignored. :rolleyes:

Carbonek_0051
28-03-12, 18:42
Yes, because not replying to a post automatically means it was ignored. :rolleyes:

No, it just means you can't argue my point. http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae35/Lara_Super_Fan/e47.gif

Sir Croft
28-03-12, 18:46
That's absolutely correct.
It is. But, my point is that since exploration was downgraded in recent Tomb Raider games, many fans have been going on and on about how the game are very linear, how they lack hidden areas to explore, etc. It makes the games poor. The same applies to GTA, which is known for over-the-top action, tongue-in-cheek themes and overall silliness in a huge open-world map. These aren't the only aspects of a Grand Theft Auto game, but they're too important for the series to be watered down.

Carbonek_0051
28-03-12, 18:47
It is. But, my point is that since exploration was downgraded in recent Tomb Raider games, many fans have been going on and on about how the game are very linear, how they lack hidden areas to explore, etc. It makes the games poor. The same applies to GTA, which is known for over-the-top action, tongue-in-cheek themes and overall silliness in a huge open-world map. These aren't the only aspects of a Grand Theft Auto game, but they're too important for the series to be watered down.

Word.

Mad Tony
28-03-12, 18:48
No, it just means you can't argue my point. http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc80/Phlip_03/Icons%20and%20Smileys/e47.gifNo it doesn't. You didn't really argue a point, but rather stated what you would prefer to see in a GTA game.

It is. But, my point is that since exploration was downgraded in recent Tomb Raider games, many fans have been going on and on about how the game are very linear, how they lack hidden areas to explore, etc. It makes the games poor. The same applies to GTA, which is known for over-the-top action, tongue-in-cheek themes and overall silliness in a huge open-world map. These aren't the only aspects of a Grand Theft Auto game, but they're too important for the series to be watered down.True, but not everyone thinks they've been watered down that much.

Carbonek_0051
28-03-12, 18:50
No it doesn't. You didn't really argue a point, but rather stated what you would prefer to see in a GTA game.
Actually I did argue your point about how the silliness was still present in GTAIV, and it wasn't. I proved how they watered it down and made it more serious. But okay, think what you want. lol http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae35/Lara_Super_Fan/e47.gif

Mad Tony
28-03-12, 18:51
Actually I did argue your point about how the silliness was still present in GTAIV, and it wasn't. I proved how they watered it down and made it more serious. But okay, think what you want. lol http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc80/Phlip_03/Icons%20and%20Smileys/e47.gifYou didn't prove anything. :confused: To you it may seem really serious but to me it wasn't.

Carbonek_0051
28-03-12, 18:52
You didn't prove anything. :confused:
Lies, filth, and slander.

Weemanply109
28-03-12, 18:56
This thread is the most recent and it's already garnering the most interesting discussion. :vlol:

I agree with Sir Croft's points.

Mad Tony
28-03-12, 19:52
Lies, filth, and slander.:confused:

SoupCard
29-03-12, 03:06
I don't think Rockstar will ever go back to the sillyness of previous GTA's. That said, if I was to make an assumption based on the trailer alone, I'd say the story won't be nearly as gritty or dark as IV's. I'm just going by the different feel of the reveal trailers, the summer environment and the focus on money/wealth.

I do hope the map size and calling V their most ambitious title yet implies more customization/stores, and things that were removed from IV like going to the gym, changing hair styles etc. I personally hope we won't see a return of over the top missions, like flying a remote controlled airplane or breaking into area 51 with a jetpack. If the missions were a mix of IV's and TBoGT's I would be happy.

Carbonek_0051
29-03-12, 03:07
I personally hope we won't see a return of over the top missions, like flying a remote controlled airplane or breaking into area 51 with a jetpack. If the missions were a mix of IV's and TBoGT's I would be happy.
Yeah, let's just change the name of the series while we're at it. http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae35/Lara_Super_Fan/e47.gif

TR freak
29-03-12, 14:04
So much conflict. So many emotions GTA IV brought. Look, Rockstar aren't stupid. Rockstar are well aware many people were disappointed with IV(including myself), and they're well aware why. Expect the fun factor to be back with V. I think it's safe to say GTA V will be a mix of San Andreas and IV. It will have the improvements IV made along with the kind of fun stuff we had in San Andreas. It'll have a really good story, atmosphere and a very immersive world. It will also have the insane crazy fun we all want. In addition to that there will be general improvements to the formula as well. I expect GTA V to bring GTA back with a bang. I expect the greatest GTA ever made and a game that appeals to fans of the PS2 era games and fans of GTA IV.

Spong
29-03-12, 14:09
So much conflict. So many emotions GTA IV brought. Look, Rockstar aren't stupid. Rockstar are well aware many people were disappointed with IV(including myself), and they're well aware why. Expect the fun factor to be back with V.

The thing is though, while the furore about GTAIV was in full flow (not long after it was released), someone from Rockstar (I forget who and can't find a link to the story) went on record telling the fans to essentially STFU and that the game/series was going in the direction they saw fit, not the fans or customers.

TR freak
29-03-12, 14:21
The thing is though, while the furore about GTAIV was in full flow (not long after it was released), someone from Rockstar (I forget who and can't find a link to the story) went on record telling the fans to essentially STFU and that the game/series was going in the direction they saw fit, not the fans or customers.

I'm not sure how true that is, but I'll respond with five words. The Ballad of Gay Tony. If that DLC wasn't an indication that Rockstar were listening, I don't know what is. Obviously due to the fact it was still a part of GTA IV it was limited in exactly how much it could change, but the whole tone of it and the kind of missions and things that were included tells us all that they were listening.

Spong
29-03-12, 14:23
Good point, Ballad certainly lightened the tone of IV, but I think GTAV will be the true litmus test of whether or not Rockstar listened. I'm mainly hoping they've scaled back on the realism when driving, it was horrible in GTAIV, and that includes Ballad.

TR freak
29-03-12, 14:30
Good point, Ballad certainly lightened the tone of IV, but I think GTAV will be the true litmus test of whether or not Rockstar listened. I'm mainly hoping they've scaled back on the realism when driving, it was horrible in GTAIV, and that includes Ballad.

I don't think the driving was bad because it was realistic. I think the driving was bad because it was bad. More realistic than previous games? Yes, but realistic in general? Hell no. The weight was completely wrong and handling was just awkward in general. Not because it was realistic. I think they'll definitely change the handling for GTA V, or at least tweak it quite a bit. It won't be like the previous games though. I think they'll make it easier to turn at high speeds and I think they'll to a better job or getting the weight of vehicles right. Time will tell. I definitely think it will be much better than IV though.

I think "realism" is an overstated thing when it comes to complaints about GTA IV. Many of the problems of GTA IV that people put down to realism are nothing to do with realism. That's just the excuse some people use to defend it and to a degree it's a part of the marketing Rockstar used for GTA IV to explain away the lack of features the game had.

ozzman
29-03-12, 15:51
VC and SA had the best soundtracks

Ozzy was in both :ohn:

Catracoth
29-03-12, 16:42
^ No.

Anyway, as long as they take what made San Andreas so successful and incorporate it into GTA 5, I'll be a happy clam.

ozzman
29-03-12, 18:17
4s soundtrack had stevie nicks and dio however but i like GTA soundtracks over saints row

JasonAW
09-04-12, 01:32
Definitely one of my favourite game series. Vice City is my favourite GTA. Call me weird but I didn't care that much for San Andreas, sure I enjoy driving round the whole map. But it's the gangster theme I didn't care for. Bring on GTA V though.

Larapink
09-04-12, 01:53
^ I agree, Vice City was great and so was San Andreas. I didn't enjoy GTA IV that much to be honest. I'm looking forward to GTA V it looks awesome! :)

JasonAW
09-04-12, 01:56
Oh I'm normally just on IV's multiplayer, ranking up is easier on there. The Ballad Of Gay Tony was more fun and over the top like the older GTA's. I still remember when I was introduced to the game though, I was watching my brother on GTA III (had no idea what it was at the time). But I just thought it was cool, and I was weird since 11 :P

lcroft_lc
09-04-12, 04:15
To me its San Andreas > Vice City > GTA 3 > GTA 2 > GTA IV > GTA 1. :D

Didn't play Ballad of Gay Tony & The Lost & Damned. :(

lcroft_lc
20-01-13, 04:29
GTA 5 PC Version Outed By Amazon

Is Rockstar Games developing Grand Theft Auto V for the PC? Yes, according to Amazon France. The online retailer is now listing a PC version of the open-world crime game.

Amazon France (http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B006ISA6VQ/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1642&creative=19458&creativeASIN=B006ISA6VQ&linkCode=as2&tag=g5-21) says GTA 5 will be playable on Windows XP, Vista and 7. Those are the only details they share. It's just a placeholder page for now.

This is the second retailer to mention a PC version of GTA V. In November, Dutch chain Game Mania listed the port on its advertisement and website (http://www.cinemablend.com/games/GTA-V-PC-Version-Mentioned-Advertisement-49451.html). Game Mania's site still says that the game's coming to PC, in fact, which makes a clerical error seem less likely.

Rockstar previously stated that they're open to platforms other than Xbox 360 and PS3 (http://www.cinemablend.com/games/GTA-5-Wii-U-PC-Versions-Being-Considered-49483.html). The PC seems the most likely choice for a third platform. After all, every major GTA has been released for the PC.

Still, PC gamers might need to wait awhile. The fact that Rockstar hasn't announced a PC version yet means it probably won't arrive in Spring 2013 (http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Grand-Theft-Auto-5-Confirmed-Spring-2013-Consoles-48684.html) along with the console iterations.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/GTA-5-PC-Version-Outed-By-Amazon-51599.html

Sir Croft
20-01-13, 04:36
Yeah, it was pretty much given that a PC version would come months after the console versions. It's the reason I might give in and buy the PS3 version...

lcroft_lc
20-01-13, 04:47
Yeah, it was pretty much given that a PC version would come months after the console versions. It's the reason I might give in and buy the PS3 version...
You got a PS3 too! :pi:

Spong
20-01-13, 04:51
GTA 5 will be playable on Windows XP

XP? So no DX10 or 11 (or whatever they're on now)?

EDIT
Also, I think a mod needs to decide whether this thread or the GTAV Revealed (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=186117) thread should be closed. I thought this thread was the GTAV one and that a ton of posts had been deleted :eek::p

As much as this is the thread for the series, the other thread has been posted in a lot more.

lcroft_lc
20-01-13, 05:17
XP? So no DX10 or 11 (or whatever they're on now)?

EDIT
Also, I think a mod needs to decide whether this thread or the GTAV Revealed (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=186117) thread should be closed. I thought this thread was the GTAV one and that a ton of posts had been deleted :eek::p

As much as this is the thread for the series, the other thread has been posted in a lot more.
This one should be closed. I'm sorry for posting here. Hard to find a thread after re-installing a fresh new Windows in my new HDD. :)

Transferring my post now.

Spong
20-01-13, 05:41
This one should be closed. I'm sorry for posting here. Hard to find a thread after re-installing a fresh new Windows in my new HDD. :)

Transferring my post now.

But this thread covers the series as a whole, the other is just about GTAV. I guess a mod could close this thread and maybe change the title of the other though...

lcroft_lc
20-01-13, 05:55
But this thread covers the series as a whole, the other is just about GTAV. I guess a mod could close this thread and maybe change the title of the other though...
Yes indeed. Very good idea. :tmb: Specially as the OP is also on a vacation. :o

Jami393
29-03-13, 21:04
Does anyone have any tips for driving on GTA IV, because I still can't get used to it?

Carbonek_0051
29-03-13, 21:05
Does anyone have any tips for driving on GTA IV, because I still can't get used to it?
Just deal, because the driving will be awful no matter what. :p

Zelda master
29-03-13, 21:13

Better try getting used to it, it's awfull no matter what...

Jami393
29-03-13, 21:19
Just deal, because the driving will be awful no matter what. :p

Better try getting used to it, it's awfull no matter what...

So really, there is no way to make it any easier.

Zelda master
29-03-13, 21:20
Nope.

Jami393
29-03-13, 21:22
Nope.

Well that sucks. The furthest I got on GTA IV was when I was up to some racing mission for Brucie, and couldn't do it due to the terrible driving.

robm_2007
30-03-13, 02:37

It's hard to get used to, and some people just plain don't get a handle of it, but I loved the way the driving was. What specific problems are you having? Steering, sharp turns, racing without crashing, getting used to the weight and physics of the car in general, etc.

DragonSlayer
30-03-13, 12:08
GTA: Liberty City Stories & Vice City Stories Heading to PSN Next Week
http://www.ps3trophies.org/news/news-9493-GTA--Liberty-City-Stories---Vice-City-Stories-Heading-to-PSN-Next-Week.html

I'm definitely buying these even though the papi don't screech mission in VCS is the most annoying mission in the game.

matrix54
30-03-13, 13:44
Was it worse than flight school (especially on PC, and a few other select missions) from San Andreas?

DragonSlayer
30-03-13, 14:06
Was it worse than flight school (especially on PC, and a few other select missions) from San Andreas?

Yes it was worse, flight school was a walk in the park in comparison, the papi don't screech mission was so irritating, as soon as papi would see an enemy car he would sometimes be dead in 2 seconds, that mission took several attempts before i passed it i tried everything driving very fast trying to outrun the enemy cars and driving very slowly past the enemy cars hoping they wouldn't see me but they would anyway, i forget what i did to pass this mission but i eventually did get past it.

matrix54
30-03-13, 14:11
Sounds like fun times...

Jami393
30-03-13, 14:42
What specific problems are you having? Steering, sharp turns, racing without crashing, getting used to the weight and physics of the car in general, etc.

Most of that actually, especially the whole racing without crashing thing. I actually think I've improved my steering with the cars tbh.

Spong
30-03-13, 17:22
Most of that actually, especially the whole racing without crashing thing. I actually think I've improved my steering with the cars tbh.

Each car is like a box with a heavy weight freely moving around inside it, if you brake sharply, all the weight is thrown forwards and turning while you're doing it is pretty much impossible. Brake first, then turn, then start accelerating as you pull out of the turn. Over time you'll get used to how the weight shifts about with each car and you'll be able to better judge which cars you can throw into a corner and which cars need to slow down beforehand. Maybe it would be good to take time out to drive Blista Compacts around, I think they're the most evenly balanced car in terms of weight and nippiness :tmb:

Jami393
30-03-13, 17:38
Each car is like a box with a heavy weight freely moving around inside it, if you brake sharply, all the weight is thrown forwards and turning while you're doing it is pretty much impossible. Brake first, then turn, then start accelerating as you pull out of the turn. Over time you'll get used to how the weight shifts about with each car and you'll be able to better judge which cars you can throw into a corner and which cars need to slow down beforehand. Maybe it would be good to take time out to drive Blista Compacts around, I think they're the most evenly balanced car in terms of weight and nippiness :tmb:

Thanks for the advice Spong, and I'll try that next time on GTA IV. Can I ask what a Blista Compact looks like in GTA IV?

Spong
30-03-13, 17:40
Can I ask what a Blista Compact looks like in GTA IV?

One of these...

http://i.imgur.com/7zMAbTW.jpg?1

It's a great little car really :tmb:
The weight stays pretty central when you brake/turn, so it doesn't have any real inertia problems and being unable to steer when you brake. It's a pretty good car for throwing into corners.

Jami393
30-03-13, 17:43
One of these...

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/7zMAbTW.jpg?1[/IG]

It's a great little car really :tmb:

I think I've seen one or two of those when I was driving about, trying to get used to it. When I steal one, I think i might store it. It looks slightly different to how it was in the GTA III series, but maybe that's due to graphics. :p

Spong
30-03-13, 17:51
I think I've seen one or two of those when I was driving about, trying to get used to it. When I steal one, I think i might store it. It looks slightly different to how it was in the GTA III series, but maybe that's due to graphics. :p

Blistas are pretty prevalent throughout GTAIV, so if you've not got one in a garage finding one shouldn't be hard. I think they're one of the only cars in IV to really retain the "cartoony" way the cars used to handle in the older games.

Jami393
30-03-13, 18:01
Blistas are pretty prevalent throughout GTAIV, so if you've not got one in a garage finding one shouldn't be hard. I think they're one of the only cars in IV to really retain the "cartoony" way the cars used to handle in the older games.

Cool, so I should have one in no time. Do you recommend any other card that might help me out a bit more with the driving other than the Blista?

Lara's Nemesis
30-03-13, 18:08
Out of the faster cars the Super GT is really solid to drive. There is a garage full of them around the corner from your apartment on the middle island.

http://i49.************/2v9u4i0.jpg

I am one of the people who loves the driving in GTA IV, it really does seem to be a love/hate thing. Spongs advice was good.

Spong
30-03-13, 18:12
Cool, so I should have one in no time. Do you recommend any other card that might help me out a bit more with the driving other than the Blista?

The only other car that really sticks in my mind for going against the GTAIV weight rules is the Super Drop Diamond...

http://i.imgur.com/GpwkkCb.jpg?1

But you only get to use that if you've got the Ballad of Gay Tony DLC.

Jami393
30-03-13, 19:13
The only other car that really sticks in my mind for going against the GTAIV weight rules is the Super Drop Diamond...

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/GpwkkCb.jpg?1[/MG]

But you only get to use that if you've got the Ballad of Gay Tony DLC.

How come you can only get used to it with the Ballad of Gay Tony?

Spong
30-03-13, 19:26
How come you can only get used to it with the Ballad of Gay Tony?

Because it came with that DLC. The main game and two DLC episodes are effectively sandboxed, they're played separately and each has stuff that the other two don't. I'm not sure if Episodes From Liberty City combines the DLCs so that exclusive vehicles/weapons/mingames are available in both. It probably doesn't though.

Jami393
30-03-13, 19:48
Because it came with that DLC. The main game and two DLC episodes are effectively sandboxed, they're played separately and each has stuff that the other two don't. I'm not sure if Episodes From Liberty City combines the DLCs so that exclusive vehicles/weapons/mingames are available in both. It probably doesn't though.

What I thought with at first was that it was a disc containing DLC, but it's actually a full game or two individual games isn't it.

Spong
30-03-13, 20:06
What I thought with at first was that it was a disc containing DLC, but it's actually a full game or two individual games isn't it.

Yeah, Episodes is the two DLC stories in standalone form. The version I have is the original DLC that requires the main game in order to play them.

Jami393
30-03-13, 20:08
Yeah, Episodes is the two DLC stories in standalone form. The version I have is the original DLC that requires the main game in order to play them.

Seeing that there are two versions of the Episodes DLC (one on disc and one as download), I wonder which version will be better to get.

Spong
30-03-13, 20:10
Seeing that there are two versions of the Episodes DLC (one on disc and one as download), I wonder which version will be better to get.

The cheaper one.

Jami393
30-03-13, 20:11
The cheaper one.

Which is?

Spong
30-03-13, 20:13
Which is?

LOL, I don't know. I'd guess the retail version of Episodes is probably cheaper than the digital one though, they usually are.

Jami393
30-03-13, 20:14
LOL, I don't know. I'd guess the retail version of Episodes is probably cheaper than the digital one though, they usually are.

OK.

Jami393
30-03-13, 22:42
@Spong Your driving advice has actually made it slightly easier. I only say slight because I still have to get used it, but it was better than before. Thank you. :tmb:

Spong
30-03-13, 22:52
@Spong Your driving advice has actually made it slightly easier. I only say slight because I still have to get used it, but it was better than before. Thank you. :tmb:

Good to hear :tmb:
Driving in the rain is a different ballgame though, the roads are like an ice rink :eek:

Jami393
30-03-13, 23:09
Good to hear :tmb:
Driving in the rain is a different ballgame though, the roads are like an ice rink :eek:

So now, when it happens through heavy rain on the game, I'll have to get used to driving in those conditions. Oh well, if I stick to your advice, I can pull through in different weather conditions within the game.

Heckler
31-03-13, 03:44
Here (http://gtaiv-skins.blogspot.com/2013/03/tomb-raider-2013-lara-croftdefault.html) is a link to mod that puts 2013 Lara is GTA4! :cln:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-BVUCPkGZrZs/UVX1Vx37T_I/AAAAAAAACLA/MxwbK3Q8bTs/s640/GTAIV+2012-12-19+18-09-48-82.jpg

Jami393
31-03-13, 20:25
^That's quite cool that, too bad I don't have GTA IV on PC, or a computer to actually run the game.

Anyway I have two questions on GTA IV. When does Niko a better phone within the game? Does anyone have any driving advice for any type of bike within the game?

Johnnay
01-04-13, 23:37
http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2013/04/11.jpg

according to IGN this might be the new box art for GTAV

http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/04/01/grand-theft-auto-v-box-art-partially-revealed-by-nyc-mural?utm_campaign=twposts&utm_source=twitter

Sir Croft
01-04-13, 23:57
Cover reveal on a billboard? That's very Rockstar.

Jami393
02-04-13, 03:48
Cover reveal on a billboard? That's very Rockstar.

What do you mean by that?

Sir Croft
02-04-13, 04:10
It's the kind of stuff Rockstar would do.

Jami393
02-04-13, 05:21
It's the kind of stuff Rockstar would do.

What, advertising their games on billboards?

Sir Croft
02-04-13, 05:22
No, revealing the cover on a billboard.

Jami393
02-04-13, 05:27
No, revealing the cover on a billboard.

Why did Rockstar do this with any other GTA game?

Sir Croft
02-04-13, 05:44
Not exactly, it's just a different way to reveal a cover and we know Rockstar likes to escape the norm.

Jami393
02-04-13, 05:48
Not exactly, it's just a different way to reveal a cover and we know Rockstar likes to escape the norm.

What other different things have Rockstar done when revealing stuff.

Johnnay
16-04-13, 06:06
NEW GTA V WALLPAPERS BY ROCKSTAR.

Just released recently

http://www.product-reviews.net/2013/04/16/new-gta-v-wallpapers-from-rockstar/

Johnnay
16-04-13, 08:34
double post accidentally but i was on mobile and hence havent had the time to upload the wallpapers

http://media.rockstargames.com/rockstargames/img/global/downloads/wallpapers/games/v_michael_jetski_1280x800.jpg
http://media.rockstargames.com/rockstargames/img/global/downloads/wallpapers/games/v_franklin_bike_chase_1280x800.jpg

http://www.rockstargames.com/downloads#/?collection=3&series=5481

Jami393
16-04-13, 08:37
How big did Rockstar say the map would be on GTAV? I've actually forgotten so I thought I would ask.

Johnnay
16-04-13, 09:08
How big did Rockstar say the map would be on GTAV?

^GTA 5's map is bigger than GTA 4, San Andreas and Red Dead Redemption combined

Grand Theft Auto 5's Los Santos is bigger than the worlds of Red Dead Redemption, GTA: San Andreas and GTA 4 combined, it has been revealed.

The revelation came via last night's GTA 5 Game Informer blowout, which claimed that, "when you include interior and exterior spaces together, Los Santos is bigger than the worlds of Red Dead Redemption, San Andreas and Grand Theft Auto IV combined, with room to spare."

According to GI, the "expansive environment includes beachfronts, wine country, a large wilderness area surrounding a fully explorable Mt. Chiliad, a Salton Sea region, a military base, and of course the sprawling suburban hills leading up to the bustling urban centre of Los Santos."

"You can even explore the fully detailed ocean floor along the Los Santos coastline."

Game Informer also suggests that GTA 5 combines GTA 4's "densely packed urban environment" with Red Dead Redemption's "large open expanses" and "dynamic encounters".

GTA: San Andreas currently holds the record for featuring the series' largest map, which iGTA5.com states is 13.9 square miles in size.

For all the news from last night's huge GTA 5 blowout, including details on the three new characters and new locations, head through here.

Jami393
16-04-13, 09:40
Well that's going to bring a hell of a lot of exploration to game, which is going to be really good, and then there is the ocean floor to explore also, which make more exploring. I can't wait to play this game.

Spong
16-04-13, 18:55
I'm sure it's a bloated claim. TR9 has a single hub that's bigger than Underworld in its entirety. So yeah...

Either way, GTA has a proven track record with the size of its maps, I don't think anyone has any cause to think it'll be smaller than GTAIV.

Jami393
16-04-13, 19:00
Have Rockstar said anything about any features that are going to be in GTA V?

Spong
16-04-13, 19:10
Have Rockstar said anything about any features that are going to be in GTA V?

AFAIK, they've said nothing beyond being able to swap between the three main characters.

Jami393
16-04-13, 19:12
AFAIK, they've said nothing beyond being able to swap between the three main characters.

I guess they're keeping the features to themselves for now then. It would be interesting to know what they are though.

Spong
16-04-13, 19:15
Rockstar always keep their cards close to their chest, but they can afford to. A game like GTA is good enough that it pretty much feeds itself on the hype created by pure speculation.

robm_2007
16-04-13, 22:02
I'm sure it's a bloated claim. TR9 has a single hub that's bigger than Underworld in its entirety. So yeah...

Either way, GTA has a proven track record with the size of its maps, I don't think anyone has any cause to think it'll be smaller than GTAIV.

That mountain village hub was pretty gigantic, and I can imagine it's bigger than all of TRU, but only if you take into consideration of the draw distance and all that random stuff that you can't physically access.

But they say that the are the interior and exterior spaces takes up is bigger than all those games, so I would not take it literally that the actual map is that size. It's just all the combined accessible areas. But I, too, imagine that they are overexaggerating. There must be some really long load screens >.>

Jami393
21-04-13, 18:28
So I've been looking at the GTA wiki, and I didn't realise how many real people have been in the franchise. I only knew of three which is Lazlow, Rickey Gervais and Katt Williams. I've just found out other real people I know of but not in GTA are Phil Collins, Iggy Pop and Frankie Boyle.

Spong
21-04-13, 19:41
^They're just the tip of the iceberg.

Ray Liotta, Samuel L Jackson, Chris Penn, Omid Djalili, Burt Reynolds, Kyle MacLachlan, Ice T, Shaun Ryder, Axl Rose, Bijou Phillips, Jenna Jameson, Timothy Spall, Gary Busey, Danny Dyer, Wil Wheaton, William Fichtner, Dennis Hopper, Michael Madsen, James Woods, Lee Majors, Joe Pantoliano...

Those are a few more I can think of who have all done VA work for GTA at some point. Everyone wants to be in a GTA game :cool:

Jami393
21-04-13, 19:46
^They're just the tip of the iceberg.

Ray Liotta, Samuel L Jackson, Chris Penn, Omid Djalili, Burt Reynolds, Kyle MacLachlan, Ice T, Shaun Ryder, Axl Rose, Bijou Phillips, Jenna Jameson, Timothy Spall, Gary Busey, Danny Dyer, Wil Wheaton, William Fichtner, Dennis Hopper, Michael Madsen, James Woods, Lee Majors, Joe Pantoliano...

Those are a few more I can think of who have all done VA work for GTA at some point. Everyone wants to be in a GTA game :cool:

I was on about as themselves or a fictional version of themselves. Not them just simply voicing characters.

Spong
21-04-13, 19:47
I was on about as themselves or a fictional version of themselves. Not them just simply voicing characters.

You didn't say that originally :pi:

Jami393
21-04-13, 19:54
You didn't say that originally :pi:

I thought that me saying real people made that clear. I guess not. :p

Spong
21-04-13, 19:56
I thought that me saying real people made that clear. I guess not. :p

I thought you just meant famous people, because obviously everyone involved in making the games is "real" :p

Jami393
21-04-13, 20:07
I thought you just meant famous people, because obviously everyone involved in making the games is "real" :p

True. :p

Johnnay
25-04-13, 19:36
In before lcroft-lc manages to post this:)

Save the date (April 30th) because more than one new trailer for GTA V will be released

http://m.au.ign.com/articles/2013/04/25/new-gta-v-trailer-coming-on-april-30th

http://vr-zone.com/articles/new-gta-v-trailers-coming-april-30th/19810.html

lcroft_lc
25-04-13, 19:50
In before lcroft-lc manages to post this:)

Save the date (April 30th) because more than one new trailer for GTA V will be released

its an underscore ( _ ).

I actually came to post it 3hours ago but my net connection dropped for an hour.

Johnnay
25-04-13, 19:55
^:pi::D

Johnnay
30-04-13, 08:27
reminder lcroft_lc and everyone

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/923013_579757842047880_1859898961_n.jpg

the ****.. 1AM Australian Eastern Standard time.. i'll be sleeping by then

Jami393
30-04-13, 08:56
Is Michael, Franklin and Trevor the three playable characters in GTA V?

Spong
30-04-13, 14:33
^You've posted the same thing twice in two different threads. One of the GTA threads seriously needs to be closed.

Jami393
30-04-13, 14:39
^You've posted the same thing twice in two different threads. One of the GTA threads seriously needs to be closed.

I didn't think people would see it, so I thought I would ask again. Also yeah one of these GTA threads need to close, and I'd say it should be the GTA V thread, and that it all could really go into this thread.

lcroft_lc
30-04-13, 14:51
I didn't think people would see it, so I thought I would ask again. Also yeah one of these GTA threads need to close, and I'd say it should be the GTA V thread, and that it all could really go into this thread.
Definitely this thread since the other thread has 1000 more posts and OP in this thread hasn't been updating necessary information.

Jami393
30-04-13, 14:52
Definitely this thread since the other thread has 1000 more posts and OP in this thread hasn't been updating necessary information.

But this thread would be a lot better on a more general discussion on the GTA series.

Spong
30-04-13, 14:56

If anything, this thread should stay open and not the other one. It's the series thread, not a thread for one game.

lcroft_lc
30-04-13, 14:56
But this thread would be a lot better on a more general discussion on the GTA series.
Keep this for General series discussion, and the other for The Game of the Year 2013 title. ;)

Jami393
30-04-13, 15:00
Keep this for General series discussion, and the other for The Game of the Year 2013 title. ;)

There would still be no point in having two threads for GTA like that. This thread is the better one to stay open seeing like what Spong said, it's for the series, in which GTA V stuff could be posted in.

Sir Croft
30-04-13, 21:20
Trailer is out and it's pretty damn awesome. Can't post here, though. :p

Jami393
30-04-13, 21:28
Trailer is out and it's pretty damn awesome. Can't post here, though. :p

Why not?

Sir Croft
30-04-13, 21:31
It's inappropriate for the PG-13 part of the forums.

larson n natla
30-04-13, 21:34
The trailers are great. I love how Rockstar are delivering three stories from characters from geographically and socially different backgrounds, rather than having one main protagonist follow a rags to riches story.

Jami393
30-04-13, 21:38
It's inappropriate for the PG-13 part of the forums.

They've been posted in the reveal thread.

Sir Croft
30-04-13, 21:41
Well, they shouldn't, it has both swearing and women showing too much skin.

Jami393
30-04-13, 21:43

I didn't think it was that bad.

Spong
30-04-13, 21:47

You mean the characters trailer(s)? I haven't actually watched them yet, even though I was here when they were first posted :p. If they've got swearing and stuff in then they should be blitzed.

robm_2007
30-04-13, 23:06

I already requested that this one be closed, but I have yet to get a response.

That's my reasoning, too.

This thread has a permabanned OP, has barely any activity in compared to the GTAV thread, and this one is younger than the other thread (AFAIK). Just change the title of the other thread to reflect its general discussion of the series (or in any case, steal this thread's title :pi:), and that one can be the thread that stays.

I mean, people have been discussing the whole of GTA in the other thread, while this one is failing in comparison.

TheRCroft
01-05-13, 00:31
I definitely have to get a new computer, this game is looking absolutely amazing! Most antecipated game for sure.

DragonSlayer
01-05-13, 17:08
Grand Theft Auto and GTA 2 Rated by ESRB For PSN
http://www.ps3trophies.org/news/news-9768-Grand-Theft-Auto-and-GTA-2-Rated-by-ESRB-For-PSN.html

Jami393
01-05-13, 17:11
Grand Theft Auto and GTA 2 Rated by ESRB For PSN
http://www.ps3trophies.org/news/news-9768-Grand-Theft-Auto-and-GTA-2-Rated-by-ESRB-For-PSN.html

I wonder why they aren't releasing them for the Xbox.

Spong
01-05-13, 18:23
I wonder why they aren't releasing them for the Xbox.

Because they weren't released on the original Xbox perhaps? MS are a bit weird with their rules concerning what digital games do and don't get released.

Jami393
01-05-13, 18:26
Because they weren't released on the original Xbox perhaps? MS are a bit weird with their rules concerning what digital games do and don't get released.

Well couldn't this also bring a bit of money towards their direction.

Spong
01-05-13, 18:30
Well couldn't this also bring a bit of money towards their direction.

Ultimately, yes. Like I said, MS are a bit weird about it, weird to the point of being illogical and stupid.

Jami393
01-05-13, 18:34
Ultimately, yes. Like I said, MS are a bit weird about it, weird to the point of being illogical and stupid.

Well they've got to stop being weird and allow some of the good games on. I bet this isn't the first time they didn't want a classic game on Arcade.

robm_2007
01-05-13, 23:50
Sony might still have exclusive licensing rights to it. Well, that's assuming GTA 1 and 2 only released on PSX in the past, I'm not sure.

Jami393
02-05-13, 06:53
Sony might still have exclusive licensing rights to it. Well, that's assuming GTA 1 and 2 only released on PSX in the past, I'm not sure.

GTA 1 was released on PC/Dos, PS1 and Gameboy Colour, GTA 2 was released on PC, Dreamcast and PS1.

lcroft_lc
25-05-13, 17:10
Interesting fact:
With the exception of Chinatown Wars, a helicopter appears on the top left of all Grand Theft Auto covers from GTA III onward.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/943207_625115634175033_1557195108_n.jpg
:D

Zelda master
25-05-13, 17:19
China Town was so awesome it just didn't give a crap about that helicopter! :ohn:

Also the GTAIII cover is ugly as sin, I perfer the European one by far.

larson n natla
25-05-13, 17:33
San Andreas has the most iconic cover and will always be remembered as the crowning jewel of the series in terms of popularity and over-all innovation. - :ohn:

... Even though it isn't my favourite in the series

lcroft_lc
25-05-13, 17:36
San Andreas has the most iconic cover and will always be remembered as the crowning jewel of the series in terms of popularity and over-all innovation. - :ohn:

... Even though it isn't my favourite in the series
:eek:

larson n natla
25-05-13, 17:37
:eek:

It's joint with Vice City... all judgement accepted.