PDA

View Full Version : Any replacements for Tomb Raider?

Dustie
01-04-12, 15:47
Pardon my ignorance, but I just haven't been into games for the past few years, so I don't really know what's been out on the market (or what's coming out), but I was wondering if there's any game or games that could work as a replacement for Tomb Raider? Current games, that is. Something that provides the same thrills and excitement. I know Uncharted and Prince of Persia are still out there, but anything else?...

robm_2007
01-04-12, 15:48
Assassin's Creed is sorta Tomb Raider-ey.

larafan25
01-04-12, 15:49
This may sound odd, but the Batman Arkham games have nice exploration, Batman Arkham City has some platforming too, and you can explore a city as Catwoman (i you get the DLC). Pretend it's Lara? :/

matrix54
01-04-12, 15:49
Unearthed: Trail of Ibn Buttuta (http://www.unearthedgame.com/)

:p

jajay119
01-04-12, 15:54
It depends what you consider to be 'Tomb Raider'. If we're talking strictly about the platforming gameplay then games like:

Assassin's Creed
Prince of Persia
Mirror's Edge
I Am Alive
Enslaved

would work well. But if you want the locations then Uncharted or Uneathed (which matrix has linked above) would be good choices.

tr fan 4 ever
01-04-12, 16:32
Unearthed: Trail of Ibn Buttuta (http://www.unearthedgame.com/)

:p

:vlol: LOL! Fake uncharted!

lcroft_lc
01-04-12, 16:44
There is a Tomb Raider copy-paste game found in the market which is called Uncharted. There are already three Uncharted titles out. You can try them.

And games which are TR alike:

Assassin's Creed franchise
Prince of Persia: Ghost of the Past (2008)
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Mirror's Edge (First person view though)

sheepman23
01-04-12, 16:49
Go with the Assassin's Creed franchise. :tmb: I've only played ACII and Brotherhood, but I loved them both. They have a lot of similarities to the TR series, but also have many differences (the open world style is the biggest one).

FloTheMachine
01-04-12, 16:49
Hm.

Resident Evil 5 (Playing as Jill Valentine always made me feel like Lara) :p
Bayonetta (which is weird, but it reminded me of TR xD)
andddd....

Mirrors Edge, but its been said before. :)

MyRaider4Life
01-04-12, 16:52
There is a Tomb Raider copy-paste game found in the market which is called Uncharted.

Um... yeah, sure.

Jami393
01-04-12, 16:59
It has been said before but, Mirror's Edge.

Tony9595
01-04-12, 17:27
A game like TR? I know of one that has a female character as the protagonist, there are lots of puzzles to solve, many places to explore, look around in the environment to learn about the civilization that used to live in the ruins you're going through, add to that some epic boss fights, enemies and multiple weapons. Sounds good? Then give a try to the Metroid Prime series! :tmb:

Shark_Blade
01-04-12, 17:43
Sly Cooper series.

He's a thief just like Lara. And he's agile and acrobatic-ish.

sandygrimm
01-04-12, 18:15
Resident Evil, Portal
IMO

Diablo_Rosso
01-04-12, 19:40
It's literal replacement for Sony is Uncharted. Sony payed for console exclusivity for TR2 and 3. They also helped market the games.

domino92
01-04-12, 19:54
None, unless you count the literal butchering of clever puzzles and well designed levels that Uncharted boasts.

Larson_1988
01-04-12, 20:08
Sly Cooper series.

He's a thief just like Lara. And he's agile and acrobatic-ish.

Oh gosh yes! I got Sly 1 for free on PSN seeing as i'm a PS+ subscriber so i own it for a year. :) I'm also tempted on getting that HD collection. :)

And that turtle is just adorable. :vlol:

oocladableeblah
01-04-12, 22:00
Love love love Sly Cooper. Sly still have some of the best gameplay I have seen in a game, it's just so smooth. Great platformer, the HD collection is definitely worth it, and there is a new one on the way.

It would also help to know what specifically about TR you are looking for. Exploration? old tombs? platforming? All of the above?

Tombraiderx08
01-04-12, 22:22
The adventure and exploration aspects of Castlevania Lords of Shadow reminded me a bit of TR :p

Zebra
01-04-12, 22:25
I think gameplay-wise, Mirror's Edge is the closest you're gonna get to a modern version of the classic Tomb Raider games. Sure, it's a first-person game but it's got the same kind of challenging platforming and only relatively little combat.

Carbonek_0051
01-04-12, 22:26
...butchering of clever puzzles and well designed levels that Uncharted boasts.

Oh wow, we actually agree on something.

Larson_1988
01-04-12, 22:27
Love love love Sly Cooper. Sly still have some of the best gameplay I have seen in a game, it's just so smooth. Great platformer, the HD collection is definitely worth it, and there is a new one on the way.

Nice, :D Can't wait for it.

just*raidin*tomb
01-04-12, 22:41
Assassin's Creed can be Tomb Raider-ish at times. It has that sense of discovery and exploration at least (along with killing a lot people):

Gs2qYNT_yBw

Pietras
01-04-12, 23:19
Go with AssCreed and Batman Arkham series, don't bother with Uncharted.

ozzman
01-04-12, 23:53
Devil May Cry series
Resident Evil 5
Hydrophobia felt very TRish too

Carbonek_0051
01-04-12, 23:54
Go with AssCreed and Batman Arkham series, don't bother with Uncharted.

This.

just*raidin*tomb
02-04-12, 00:04
But Uncharted series is a great imo. It doesn't really play like a Tomb Raider game though.

jarekhanzelka
02-04-12, 00:33
The last couple Indiana Jones games are very similar. I also can't recommend Divinity II: Ego Draconis enough. Yes, it's an open-world RPG, but it's rich on really challenging puzzles and even memory tests (literally), and it has a handful of purely platforming sequences which feel a lot like those from the classic Tomb Raiders. It's a win win situation. :p

Carbonek_0051
02-04-12, 00:40
The last couple Indiana Jones games are very similar. I also can't recommend Divinity II: Ego Draconis enough. Yes, it's an open-world RPG, but it's rich on really challenging puzzles and even memory tests (literally), and it has a handful of purely platforming sequences which feel a lot like those from the classic Tomb Raiders. It's a win win situation. :p

You like Divinity II & Two Worlds II, and question my taste? http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae35/Lara_Super_Fan/e47.gif

jarekhanzelka
02-04-12, 01:46
Wait, you're actually going to hate on Divinity II now as well? Don't even try...:p

I can only presume you've played the X360 version anyway. :whi:

SkyPuppy
02-04-12, 01:51
Devil May Cry series
Resident Evil 5
Hydrophobia felt very TRish too

wat.

matrix54
02-04-12, 01:54
It gets REALLY tomb raider for a few chapters. Very short lived though.

larafan25
02-04-12, 01:56
Oh yeah, and the zombie-things with the masksn in that temple are scary as Hell.

matrix54
02-04-12, 02:02
Scary... sure. :p

larafan25
02-04-12, 02:05
They scared the crap out of me. So tall, so quick. I couldn't get away from them. D:

matrix54
02-04-12, 02:10
What you described is tension. :p

Shark_Blade
02-04-12, 02:20
^What he described is a fear of tall people. :p

Oh gosh yes! I got Sly 1 for free on PSN seeing as i'm a PS+ subscriber so i own it for a year. :) I'm also tempted on getting that HD collection. :)

And that turtle is just adorable. :vlol:

It makes me warm and happy to see Sly Cooper fans. :p
And yes, Larson. Get the HD Collection. It provides much larger screen view (so you can see more areas on your left and right screen compared to the PS2 version), pretty graphic, smooth controls and excellent gameplay. A must buy.

larafan25
02-04-12, 02:21
What you described is tension. :p

Yes, that's what it was.

But it was scary too...

Shark_Blade
02-04-12, 02:23
^Dude, you need to play REmake.

Now that's scarier than RE5.

matrix54
02-04-12, 02:30
Yes, that's what it was.

But it was scary too...

You weren't scared.
Fear would cripple you as a human being. :p

Dustie
08-04-12, 13:44
I was thinking about something that plays like Tomb Raider all the way through, meaning gameplay, movement, puzzles, adventure, etc. I know that pretty much means Tomb Raider and nothing else, but I thought I'd ask.

As for Mirror's Edge, I've never played it, but I've seen trailers and it looks nothing like Tomb Raider. Perhaps it might be like it in terms of jumping and running, but it seems they rather have nothing else in common.

Strangely though, that fake Uncharted game, Unearthed, seems like something I could try :p Seriously though, I'd be amazing if we could get a company like that to make us a Tomb Raider clone with modern graphics and a full-fledged level editor, so we didn't have to stick to old Tomb Raider games...

Barry Matharoo
08-04-12, 14:55
Hmm interesting suggestion!! Considering the game will not sell we can buy the engine real cheap!!!
Lets start a petition and a fund!!

Seriously I looked at the videos of Ibnbatuta and Graphics & Voice acting were good. But they seriously need to fix the controls and animations.

I think assassins creed kind of gives me the same feeling as TR especially brotherhood with their lair of romulus levels.
And hydrophobia was also Kind of like TR if u are into water levels.