PDA

View Full Version : Dark Souls confirmed for PC

Megalith
07-04-12, 10:41
Dark Souls (the spiritual successor to Demon's Souls) has been confirmed for PC.I just saw the news at GAF:
Cover of German magazine PC Action, I verified. Thanks to gaffer Anarkin for breaking the news and providing evidence.

Anarkin's report:

"Dark Souls : Prepare to Die Edition" coming to PC. There's a preview in the new PC Action.

New bosses for the PC version everything else is 1:1 from the console version.

Release date is August.

Damn i still haven't played the PS3 version,i'm inexcusable.:vlol:

jarekhanzelka
07-04-12, 10:43
:yah:

Nemo_91
07-04-12, 10:44
I actually can't wait for this. :D

Carbonek_0051
07-04-12, 10:45
I need to get back into it, it pissed me off really bad and I haven't touched it since. :p

By the way, it hasn't been more than three months since the Dark Souls thread (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=178204) has been posted in, and even if it was this is significant news that bypasses the bumping rule.

Nemo_91
07-04-12, 10:48
It pissed you off because it's hard? I've read somewhere it's one of the hardest games ever..? Lol.

Megalith
07-04-12, 10:49
I need to get back into it, it pissed me off really bad and I haven't touched it since. :p

By the way, it hasn't been more than three months since the Dark Souls thread (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=178204) has been posted in, and even if it was this is significant news that bypasses the bumping rule.

I think this information really needed a new thread.
Many pc gamers would have missed these news since they wouldn't care browse a thread about what they thought was a console only game.

Carbonek_0051
07-04-12, 10:49
^That's cool, but there is still a thread for the game and you completely ignored it. This is on topic and significant to the topic so you should have posted it there.
It pissed you off because it's hard? I've read somewhere it's one of the hardest games ever..? Lol.
Pretty much, it's literally the hardest game I've played. It requires a lot of time, patience, and trial & error.

Megalith
07-04-12, 10:51
^That's cool, but there is still a thread for the game and you completely ignored it. This is on topic and significant to the topic so you should have posted it there.

That's cool feel free to update the thread!:tmb:

Carbonek_0051
07-04-12, 10:53
That's cool feel free to update the thread!:tmb:

Already ahead of you. :tmb:

TombOfRaiders
07-04-12, 10:59
I was considering getting this on PC so I could actually record a walkthrough of it using Fraps but since I got my HD PVR I don't see much point since I can just record through my 360. xD Good for those PC Gamers though. :tmb:

Yep, at first it seems that way but after quite a while you get used to how the game works and how you need to approach the game and it isn't that too bad, however, like Nate said it does require a lot of trial and error. :p And the final boss...jeez, it's definitely the hardest boss I've ever come across...

Meh, reminds me that I need to pick up on this game. Left it on NG++ a few months back, need to get those 2 last achievements. >_<

(edit: and I really should've posted this in the main thread... >.<)

lcroft_lc
07-04-12, 11:47
Many pc gamers would have missed these news since they wouldn't care browse a thread about what they thought was a console only game.
:tmb: Totally agreed. That thread wouldn't be visited by PC gamers as like I don't. PC confirmation needs another thread for sure. :)

BtoFu
07-04-12, 18:52
PC gamers have already been dead for a while haven't they? Arf kiddin'. Great news, hopefully they fix the frame rate in Blighttown. Praise the Sun.

Legend of Lara
07-04-12, 19:04
Dark Souls already felt kind of like a PC port, imo. It'll fit right in. <3

Megalith
11-04-12, 18:24
PC trailer:
jzSqBfPQIEk

Nemo_91
11-04-12, 18:26
I need this game in my life.

lcroft_lc
11-04-12, 18:31
Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition lands on PC August 24

:jmp:

RoxasKennedy
11-04-12, 18:48
I want to have babies with this game. <3 JK but srsly, I'm looking forward to this game, I like somewhat hard games.

Sir Croft
11-04-12, 19:06
I certainly wouldn't have seen it! :p
I'll keep me eye on this game, it looks quite good.

Nemo_91
11-04-12, 22:03
The great grey wolf is already my favourite boss. X_X

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/file/view/wolf.jpg/237790427/512x288/wolf.jpg

(Is there such a thing as 'favourite' boss?)

lcroft_lc
15-05-12, 17:27
Box-art revealed:
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/7729/51nlydburqlss500.jpg

Nemo_91
15-05-12, 18:47
^ Are you sure? The official site doesn't show that boxart: http://www.preparetodie.com/en/preorder/ Plus I don't think it'll use Game for Windows after all.

Now that Infinite (and TR) has been pushed back to 2013, I can say that this is probably my most anticipated game of the year. :pi:

cezy rockeru
15-05-12, 18:50
This pleases me.

I wish there was a PC version of Demon Souls too, so I could take everything from the beginning. -.-

Megalith
15-05-12, 19:12
This pleases me.

I wish there was a PC version of Demon Souls too, so I could take everything from the beginning. -.-

Dark Souls storywise has absolutely nothing to do with Demon Souls.

jarekhanzelka
15-05-12, 19:32
Dark Souls storywise has absolutely nothing to do with Demon Souls.

It would still be nice to have them both, though. :3

Nemo_91
15-05-12, 19:33
Keep on dreaming. :p I'm happy we're getting Dark Souls, at least.

jarekhanzelka
18-06-12, 17:58
NO NO NO NO (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/04/17/dark-souls-pc-prepare-to-sigh/) NO! (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/06/07/dark-souls-prepare-to-stutter/)

The interface won’t be redone, keyboard and mouse support will be minimal so gamepads are heavily recommended, and there won’t be new graphics settings. From Software producer Hidetaka Miyazaki is paraphrased as saying the game being “a straight port” was publisher Namco’s decision. There will be new content – enemies and areas and stuff like that – but while welcome I think we’d all agree we’d much prefer a well-optimised PC version rather than extra stuff.

“In terms of the PC version, the quick answer is no, [we won't be fixing the frame rate problems]. Because we wanted to get the PC version out as soon as possible, it’s more strictly a port from the console version. We haven’t been able to step up into doing any specific optimisation for PC.”

This is balanced out, they say, by including a ton of new content – another ten hours or so – seamlessly entwined within the main game. And PC will be getting that a few months before it’s DLC for the consoles. That’s 31st August for us, Christmas for them.

**** you. Just **** you. And **** your new content.

Sir Croft
18-06-12, 18:02
Oh man, watch this game get pirated to death come August.

Nemo_91
18-06-12, 18:03
keyboard and mouse support will be minimal so gamepads are heavily recommended, and there won’t be new graphics settings.

The **** is this ****.

*starts petition*

Ward Dragon
18-06-12, 18:20
NO NO NO NO (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/04/17/dark-souls-pc-prepare-to-sigh/) NO! (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/06/07/dark-souls-prepare-to-stutter/)

**** you. Just **** you. And **** your new content.

I saw that news awhile ago and decided I'm not going to bother with the PC version. I was excited for it at first because I thought it would run more smoothly, look more detailed, and have decent keyboard/mouse controls. But if none of that is true then there's no point for me to buy the game on PC. I'm going to eventually finish my play-through on 360 and then probably never play the game again.

Sir Croft
18-06-12, 18:25
I was actually considering getting it for the 360. Shortly after that, they announced the PC version, so I gave up on the console version and decided to wait for the PC version.
Now I'm not getting either of them.

Nemo_91
18-06-12, 18:25
Processor: 2.6 GHz Dual-Core
Memory: 1 GB (XP), 2GB (Vista/7)
Hard Disk Space: 4 GB
Video Card: 512 MB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850 or higher, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT or higher
DirectX®: 9.0c
Sound: Direct Sound Compatible
Additional: Multiplayer requires microphone headset support

4 GB HD space? Seriously? :vlol:

jarekhanzelka
18-06-12, 18:29
http://www.d22-zone.com/news/dark-souls-on-pc-gets-worse/?cbg_tz=-120

Nvidia GTX 600 cards. Some of the most powerful cards on the planet all of which vary with different power gizmos and what have you, have struggled to run the game even at the E3 demo booth. Players have complained of a “choppy” experience, just like you’ll experience in Blight-town for those of you who have played it already. To put it sweetly, PC Gamers will not enjoy an ideal and smoothly gaming experience because the game has major frame rate issues.

http://imagehost.online-image-editor.com/images/18202750pR4ZX/18202415woU8QF0y.gif

Nemo_91
18-06-12, 18:42
I was soooooo looking forward to this game... :/

Sir Croft
18-06-12, 18:43
The "we're not experienced with PC development" excuse it pretty damn lame. That's what studios that can't create their own IP due to lack of creativity are for. Outsource the port and you might not screw it up completely like you're doing now.

jarekhanzelka
18-06-12, 18:43
I was soooooo looking forward to this game... :/

We can still hope for a decent Dragon's Dogma port. ._.

Nemo_91
18-06-12, 18:46
We can still hope for a decent Dragon's Dogma port. ._.

Didn't the dev say they definitely won't make a PC version?

Dark Souls looks better than DD, IMO.

jarekhanzelka
18-06-12, 18:47
Didn't they dev say they definitely won't make a PC version?

Dark Souls looks better than DD, IMO.

Not that I know of.

Not anymore lol. ;_;

Nemo_91
18-06-12, 18:53
We'll see. Maybe it won't be that bad. (I'm just trying to be optimistic here :pi:)

The new boss:

dPbKOrh5Reg

Sir Croft
18-06-12, 19:01
Could that interface occupy any more screen space?

Nemo_91
18-06-12, 19:10
Could that interface occupy any more screen space?

Ikr? :vlol:

Ward Dragon
19-06-12, 21:04
http://www.d22-zone.com/news/dark-souls-on-pc-gets-worse/?cbg_tz=-120

http://imagehost.online-image-editor.com/images/18202750pR4ZX/18202415woU8QF0y.gif

I'm curious how it runs on a more middle-of-the-road graphics card. I'm thinking maybe they never tested it on high-end cards and/or new drivers messed things up XD

lcroft_lc
20-06-12, 05:56
Processor: 2.6 GHz Dual-Core
Memory: 1 GB (XP), 2GB (Vista/7)
Hard Disk Space: 4 GB
Video Card: 512 MB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850 or higher, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT or higher
DirectX®: 9.0c
Sound: Direct Sound Compatible
Additional: Multiplayer requires microphone headset support

4 GB HD space? Seriously? :vlol:

Skyrim was 6GB. But it had gigantic size of maps and plenty of stuffs to do. If the gameplay is that good I wouldn't mind about graphics. :)

Ward Dragon
21-06-12, 13:25
Skyrim was 6GB. But it had gigantic size of maps and plenty of stuffs to do. If the gameplay is that good I wouldn't mind about graphics. :)

Skyrim is 8 GB if you download the HD texture pack (it's listed as DLC on Skyrim's Steam store page, but it's free). It does improve the game, but I still prefer a lot of the fan-made texture mods (much sharper and better-looking :D).

Anyhow, I agree that 4 GB is really low for a modern game. Most of the recent games I've installed were at least 8 GB, and quite a few are in the 10-15 GB range. I still remember back in the day when it was a lot for a game to be 500 mb :p

jarekhanzelka
21-06-12, 14:04
Skyrim is 8 GB if you download the HD texture pack (it's listed as DLC on Skyrim's Steam store page, but it's free). It does improve the game, but I still prefer a lot of the fan-made texture mods (much sharper and better-looking :D).

Anyhow, I agree that 4 GB is really low for a modern game. Most of the recent games I've installed were at least 8 GB, and quite a few are in the 10-15 GB range. I still remember back in the day when it was a lot for a game to be 500 mb :p

Good times. :')

May Payne 3 is 30 GB. I'm sure Dark Souls will have way more content that MP3 anyway. :pi:

trlestew
21-06-12, 14:07
I think that since games back then had to fit onto a single CD, 500MB out of 700 or so MB made sense.
As tools made assets more detailed and larger, that's when we moved into the GB. Not to mention the popularity of the DVD. Now that's being ditched in favor of purely digital distribution with GB up to 30 as Jarek mentioned.

The 4GB is probably just extreme compression. Or in a worse case scenario, they expect you to purchase the disc and have that read off the non-installed data. :vlol:

Ward Dragon
21-06-12, 14:10
The 4GB is probably just extreme compression. Or in a worse case scenario, they expect you to purchase the disc and have that read off the non-installed data. :vlol:

The 360 version fits on one DVD and can be played straight off the disc, and according to the article the PC version is a straight port with no new higher-res textures or anything like that, so I think 4 GB is probably the uncompressed size.

Sir Croft
21-06-12, 14:10
I think that since games back then had to fit onto a single CD, 500MB out of 700 or so MB made sense.
As tools made assets more detailed and larger, that's when we moved into the GB. Not to mention the popularity of the DVD. Now that's being ditched in favor of purely digital distribution with GB up to 30 as Jarek mentioned.

You raise a good point. Considering how poorly ported the game seems to be, I don't doubt that's going to happen.

Ward Dragon
21-06-12, 14:14
You raise a good point. Considering how poorly ported the game seems to be, I don't doubt that's going to happen.

Well, the 360 version has the option to install it to the hard drive (it just does a disc-check on start-up) so I think they already have the technology to install stuff even if they don't know what a PC is :p

lcroft_lc
21-06-12, 14:27

Maybe this game isn't that big and maybe because you have to die a lot in this game and thus it will increase your gameplay hours. :p

7/8 years ago I played a game named Shade: Wrath of Angels. It was only 200MB but the graphics was very good at that moment and game was pretty big. I never understood how that was possible. :D

Ward Dragon
21-06-12, 14:35
Maybe this game isn't that big and maybe because you have to die a lot in this game and thus it will increase your gameplay hours. :p

It doesn't really have to do with the length of playing time. A lot of a game's file size comes from the textures. Higher resolution textures take up a lot more space. The Xbox 360 textures look fairly low-res to me, and the interview stated that they are using the same textures in the PC version, so I think that's why the game's file size is relatively small compared to other games that have better textures.

jarekhanzelka
09-08-12, 16:58
I think I'm gonna be heartbroken. (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/08/09/hands-on-dark-souls-prepare-to-die-edition/)

Bongo Fury
12-08-12, 03:50
i was kinda interested in this when it was first announced for pc, but after reading a bit about it today...well - no thanks. 1024x720 res up-scaled in all it's blurry glory? not even a pretext of effort put into this at all. shameful really.

jarekhanzelka
12-08-12, 10:52
i was kinda interested in this when it was first announced for pc, but after reading a bit about it today...well - no thanks. 1024x720 res up-scaled in all it's blurry glory? not even a pretext of effort put into this at all. shameful really.

And what a brilliant excuse for it too: "We aren't going to bother making a quality port because we've never made any port until now, so..." ......................

Nemo_91
12-08-12, 10:53
Damn From Software and their lazy asses. All hope I had for this game just vanished.

Megalith
12-08-12, 10:54
And what a brilliant excuse for it too: "We aren't going to bother making a quality port because we've never made any port until now, so..." ......................

I would like to see the link of that quote....

lara c. fan
12-08-12, 10:55
I'm not the only one thinking "texture mods", am I?

Nemo_91
12-08-12, 10:58
Damn From Software and their lazy asses. All hope I had for this game just vanished.

I mean, if they decided to make a PC version then at least make a decent one, god damnit.

jarekhanzelka
12-08-12, 11:11

They didn't use that exact wording but that's been their explanation for how they decided to handle the port. Sorry, can't be arsed with searching it up.

Megalith
12-08-12, 11:35
They didn't use that exact wording but that's been their explanation for how they decided to handle the port. Sorry, can't be arsed with searching it up.

I'm pretty sure they must have said something very different.

And this was indeed their first port.Other companies with much more experience have done a much worse job at ports than From did on their first try.

moodydog
12-08-12, 11:45

I have heard that too. They said something like the graphics isn't really going to be upgraded for the PC since they are new to PC or porting or something like that.

Ward Dragon
12-08-12, 20:24
I'm not the only one thinking "texture mods", am I?

No, but texture mods can't fix issues like lag which are apparently identical in the PC version compared to the console version despite PC's being significantly more powerful. Even if they didn't want to bother redoing all the textures (which they honestly should have done) they could have at least fixed the lagging issues.

jarekhanzelka
13-08-12, 05:56
I'm pretty sure they must have said something very different.

And this was indeed their first port.Other companies with much more experience have done a much worse job at ports than From did on their first try.

Really? From the look of things this is going to be the very definiton of a terrible port. The only thing that slightly holds it up is the new content, but I doubt I'll care about that if it's basically unplayable.

TheCoolJazz
14-08-12, 14:03
Sadly it was confirmed that Dark Souls has quite a lot of locks on it.

30FPS Limit.
1024 x 720 Internal Resolution.

I was hoping for better.

Source (http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/08/09/dark-souls-pc-edition-locked-at-30fps-1024-x-720-internal-resolution/)

Sir Croft
14-08-12, 14:13

30FPS Limit.

I was hoping for better.

Source (http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/08/09/dark-souls-pc-edition-locked-at-30fps-1024-x-720-internal-resolution/)
:vlol:
Oh lord, this is the worst. Port. EVER. This is going to flop so hard, but so hard it isn't even funny. You don't get to treat an entire market like **** and expect Skyrim-like sales.

Nemo_91
14-08-12, 14:17
****! That is all.

jarekhanzelka
14-08-12, 14:26
Not to mention forcing GFWL which, dunno about you, I hate with the greatest passion there is. :)

Sir Croft
14-08-12, 14:28
Not to mention forcing GFWL which, dunno about you, I hate with the greatest passion there is. :)
I don't think there's anyone in this world that doesn't.

jarekhanzelka
14-08-12, 14:35
I don't think there's anyone in this world that doesn't.

You never know. I actually know a person or two who like it. o.o

Sir Croft
14-08-12, 14:38
I think I'll have a minute of silence for those poor lost souls.

Nemo_91
14-08-12, 14:39
I think I'll have a minute of silence for those poor dark souls.

Fixed. :vlol:

Sir Croft
14-08-12, 14:45
:vlol:

moodydog
14-08-12, 14:52

30FPS Limit.

I was hoping for better.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Cry Edition.

TheCoolJazz
14-08-12, 14:53

:vlol: #Died

Nemo_91
14-08-12, 14:54

Pretty much. Although I probably will die because of how bad it is.

Ward Dragon
14-08-12, 19:15

30FPS Limit.

I was hoping for better.

Crap, that's not even 720p. Why would they make it 1024x720 instead of the usual 1280x720? In any case that explains why the Xbox version looks so damned blurry on my screen. I'm definitely not going to bother with the PC version if it will look the same, have the same lag, etc.

Sir Croft
14-08-12, 19:22
Why are they even porting this, really? The result of their... "efforts" will be nothing more than terrible sales, which Konami will then proceed to use as an excuse to never port a game to PC again.

jarekhanzelka
14-08-12, 19:48
Crap, that's not even 720p. Why would they make it 1024x720 instead of the usual 1280x720? In any case that explains why the Xbox version looks so damned blurry on my screen. I'm definitely not going to bother with the PC version if it will look the same, have the same lag, etc.

Because the game will be rendered in exactly the same way as on the consoles, meaning the resolution the console/game can handle. You will be able to set the resolution higher but if you do, it'll just upscale to it from there and make it look like a blurred out ****.

This is a really messed up situation because this year the PC market finally got to a position where it's respected by the devs/publishers and so they make quality ports. And then there's the GFWL...

This is doomed. If even we who've been excited for the game the most are just appalled there's simply no way it can be a success. Unless a skilled hacker takes over and turns it into a PC worthy, playable game (much like with Resident Evil 4, if y'all remember).

Ward Dragon
14-08-12, 22:10
Because the game will be rendered in exactly the same way as on the consoles, meaning the resolution the console/game can handle. You will be able to set the resolution higher but if you do, it'll just upscale to it from there and make it look like a blurred out ****.

But a lot of my 360 games claim to be true 720p. Granted I have no way of telling for sure what resolution they're outputting, but Dark Souls does look blurrier in comparison. I'm kind of surprised Dark Souls' resolution is low even by console standards and yet the game still lags in places.

Nemo_91
21-08-12, 20:54
It actually doesn't look that bad ;_;

F7DFH3BuU7E

Carbonek_0051
21-08-12, 21:08
I miss this game. Think I will buy it again when I get paid. Glad I won't be having any issues though. :whi: Sorry Jarek & Flopmo_91 <3

jarekhanzelka
24-08-12, 00:17
Tried out the "demo" (didn't cancel my preorder or anything so no hard feelings) and while it isn't as terrible as I expected, it's still...really bad. The controls are naturally ****ed up, the mouse support is so minimal it's better to just play with keyboard only, which is basically impossible to do effectively considering the camera controls (although it's possibly possible to set the controls in a way the mouse would actually aid the playing, as opposed to making it worse). The graphics are god awful, it looks roughly the same as if I covered the screen with a wet toilet paper. Thankfully that should be resolved once the resolution fix comes out. It's basically not optimised whatsoever regarding the performace - it would randomly lag no matter what settings I'd use. And the worst of all? The windows cursor is flying across the screen even in fullscreen. Although that could be just this "demo" version.

Played for about an hour and felt well sick. I won't cancel the preorder, but I won't dare play it until some talented fan makes a proper unofficial patch.

Ward Dragon
24-08-12, 01:08
The controls are naturally ****ed up, the mouse support is so minimal it's better to just play with keyboard only, which is basically impossible to do effectively considering the camera controls (although it's possibly possible to set the controls in a way the mouse would actually aid the playing, as opposed to making it worse).

Damn. I hate the camera controls on 360 (the button layout makes it pretty much impossible to adjust the camera while sprinting or dodging) so I was hoping the mouse would alleviate that problem. I kind of gave up hope when they said they weren't going to put any work into the keyboard/mouse controls, but it's still sad to find out that the mouse wasn't used to its full potential because that would have made the gameplay much smoother and more enjoyable.

jarekhanzelka
24-08-12, 09:32
Resfix is out. What difference does it make? See (http://i.minus.com/ibif5N2VH1VNS1.png) for yourself (http://i.minus.com/i83gNNBEplA1X.png). There's absolutely no logic as for why didn't they do this straight away.

Nemo_91
24-08-12, 09:43
Resfix is out. What difference does it make? See (http://i.minus.com/ibif5N2VH1VNS1.png) for yourself (http://i.minus.com/i83gNNBEplA1X.png). There's absolutely no logic as for why didn't they do this straight away.

Holy **** :eek:

jarekhanzelka
24-08-12, 11:19
Know what's funny? The modder made that fix in 23 minutes since the release of the game. 23 minutes. Makes you think just how lazy exactly did they really have to be with the port.

Nemo_91
24-08-12, 11:23
Know what's funny? The modder made that fix in 23 minutes since the release of the game. 23 minutes. Makes you think just how lazy exactly did they really have to be with the port.

Lmfao. That's kinda sad.

Is it really that hard? :pi:

jarekhanzelka
24-08-12, 11:34
Is it really that hard? :pi:

As of right now it's completely unplayable for me since I don't have a gamepad. At least it's pretty to look at now.

Sir Croft
24-08-12, 12:18
Chances are they spent more time trying to integrate GFWL into the game than actually porting it.

Survival
24-08-12, 12:50
GFWL? That is like baking a cake and then ****ting on it :).

Sir Croft
24-08-12, 12:52
Yes, that's exactly what it is.

jarekhanzelka
27-08-12, 10:51
I think I'm going to need a manual for this game. I would gladly just read item descriptions but I can't for the life of me figure out how to make them pop out on the keyboard, so...

Ward Dragon
27-08-12, 15:00
I think I'm going to need a manual for this game. I would gladly just read item descriptions but I can't for the life of me figure out how to make them pop out on the keyboard, so...

Unless they fixed it, the in-game descriptions aren't very helpful (vague or misleading). You'd probably be better off looking up the items on the Wiki:

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/

jarekhanzelka
27-08-12, 15:12
Unless they fixed it, the in-game descriptions aren't very helpful (vague or misleading). You'd probably be better off looking up the items on the Wiki:

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/

Thanks, indeed the ingame descriptions aren't very helpful.

Overall I must say I'm enjoying the game more than I anticipated since know how shoddy the port would be. And the sewers are nothing short of beyond creepy. I'm not a fan of the automatic respawn each time you do anything at a bonfire, I'd rather have it conditional, but that's alright.

Ward Dragon
27-08-12, 16:07
Thanks, indeed the ingame descriptions aren't very helpful.

You're welcome.

Overall I must say I'm enjoying the game more than I anticipated since know how shoddy the port would be. And the sewers are nothing short of beyond creepy. I'm not a fan of the automatic respawn each time you do anything at a bonfire, I'd rather have it conditional, but that's alright.

You can save the game without activating a bonfire (which I didn't know for my first several hours playing the game XD). Any time you manually save or quit the game, it saves your inventory and what you've done (although it dumps you at the last bonfire when you start the game up again).

So don't activate the bonfire unless you actually need to do something with it (or if you want to intentionally trigger enemies to respawn so you can farm).

jarekhanzelka
27-08-12, 16:15
I'd gladly have them respawn after, say, leveling up, but right after dying I'd rather have a moment of peace to recollect what I've lost and have them respawn over time, for example.

Ward Dragon
27-08-12, 16:21
I'd gladly have them respawn after, say, leveling up, but right after dying I'd rather have a moment of peace to recollect what I've lost and have them respawn over time, for example.

So don't die :pi:

Seriously though, dying is inevitable. I think it's part of the "difficulty" to make it so hard to recollect your souls when you die. I tend to play super-cautiously and not rush into anything and I die a lot less than I did at the beginning where I would try to make a mad dash for my corpse to get back the precious precious souls XD

jarekhanzelka
27-08-12, 17:58
So don't die :pi:

Seriously though, dying is inevitable. I think it's part of the "difficulty" to make it so hard to recollect your souls when you die. I tend to play super-cautiously and not rush into anything and I die a lot less than I did at the beginning where I would try to make a mad dash for my corpse to get back the precious precious souls XD

I try my best at being careful but more than a lot of times I've already died by...falling to my death, accidentally missing a ladder, accidentaly pushing myself off a cliff, etc. :<

I kind of hate the focus system, too. It's insanely stupid to make it switch from enemy to enemy just by moving the mouse. :pi:

Whoa. Didn't even realise I'm already level 30 with a playtime of 7 hours. I thought I'm barely at the beginning. T_T

jarekhanzelka
29-08-12, 13:24
I hate, hate, hate, HATE Blighttown. I certainly hope it's the worst location of the game and that nothing worse than this awaits me.

Ward Dragon
29-08-12, 16:12
I hate, hate, hate, HATE Blighttown. I certainly hope it's the worst location of the game and that nothing worse than this awaits me.

Is it lagging? Or do you hate it for other reasons?

jarekhanzelka
29-08-12, 16:17
Is it lagging? Or do you hate it for other reasons?

It lags a bit here and there, but I hate it as a whole. I hate the enemies down there, I hate the darkness down there, I hate the narrow planks you have to cross which are super easy to slip off and fall to your death...Thankfully I'm done with Blighttown.

Had a brief sneak peak into the Demon Ruins (hope that's what it was called) and took down what could be the deadliest-but-easiest-to-dodge boss I've encountered so far. Then backtracked and finally visited Darkroot. That's a lovely place to explore. ^.^

Ward Dragon
29-08-12, 16:36
It lags a bit here and there, but I hate it as a whole. I hate the enemies down there, I hate the darkness down there, I hate the narrow planks you have to cross which are super easy to slip off and fall to your death...Thankfully I'm done with Blighttown.

Had a brief sneak peak into the Demon Ruins (hope that's what it was called) and took down what could be the deadliest-but-easiest-to-dodge boss I've encountered so far. Then backtracked and finally visited Darkroot. That's a lovely place to explore. ^.^

Ah, I see. I haven't gotten to Blighttown yet. I defeated the Capra Demon and then ended up going to Darkroot Basin instead anyway because I didn't feel like going into the Depths yet. It's definitely the prettiest part I've seen in the game so far. I found it really difficult at first, but then I found a good place to farm until I was strong enough to handle everything :pi:

jarekhanzelka
29-08-12, 19:33
Awww man, that's already a second boss I truly felt sorry for killing. :(

Ward Dragon
29-08-12, 21:46
Awww man, that's already a second boss I truly felt sorry for killing. :(

Me too :( I almost cried XD What was the first though? Was it from Blighttown? I can't think of another but I didn't play the same areas yet.

jarekhanzelka
29-08-12, 21:57
Me too :( I almost cried XD What was the first though? Was it from Blighttown? I can't think of another but I didn't play the same areas yet.

They're both from Darkroot and the surroundings. :pi:

On a more positive note, I finally killed the red dragon! And now...now I'm kind of undecided where to go next. ._. The last place I visited was the Catacombs and as lovely as they were, the red floating skulls were driving me insane. D':

EDIT: I still can't get over how fun and addictive the game is despite its lack of quests and how non-linear it is. Or maybe it's because of that? I dunno. Really makes me wish Demon's Souls was ported as well (by someone less lazy and more talented, perhaps). If the game itself was a bit more polished to my liking (not talking about the quality of the port here), it'd probably make my GOTY this year.

I'm not finding it all that superhardcore difficult as expected, though. Yes I die a lot but that's more due to the poor keyboard+mouse controls than anything. :whi:

jarekhanzelka
30-08-12, 22:21
OMG the walking mushrooms are so adorable! *v* And tough...

Speaking of which, how many people here have found The Great Hollow (and Ash Lake) without any walkthroughs? I just randomly did and...it's so beautiful. °.°

larafan25
30-08-12, 22:52
Just watched a video of this again, it had skeletons like TR4 and falling from high places. I need this for PS3. At least as a form of research.

jarekhanzelka
31-08-12, 00:41
Just finished it. The final boss and the ending felt rather underwhelming but then again, I certainly wasn't playing the game for its deep plot and profound story.

Nemo_91
02-09-12, 09:20
God, you already finished it? :p

I'm loving the game. Sure, probably not the best port ever made, but it's still a decent one. Much better than I expected (thanks to that resolution fix, I suppose). The mouse could be better and the autofocus (if that's what it's called, probably not lol) just goes nuts when multiple enemies attack you. Other than that, it's great. I'm not finding it as hard as everyone else says (so far), but that's probably because I'm still at the beginning. :p It's rather the environment that makes it hard. I already fell from cliffs and such lots of times... The bosses haven't been that tough so far, my longest fight was probably with that Black Knight in the Undead Burg. :vlol:

jarekhanzelka
02-09-12, 10:04
God, you already finished it? :p

I'm loving the game. Sure, probably not the best port ever made, but it's still a decent one. Much better than I expected (thanks to that resolution fix, I suppose). The mouse could be better and the autofocus (if that's what it's called, probably not lol) just goes nuts when multiple enemies attack you. Other than that, it's great. I'm not finding it as hard as everyone else says (so far), but that's probably because I'm still at the beginning. :p It's rather the environment that makes it hard. I already fell from cliffs and such lots of times... The bosses haven't been that tough so far, my longest fight was probably with that Black Knight in the Undead Burg. :vlol:

Just you wait for Bed of Chaos. That one is incredibly full of joy. :)

Carbonek_0051
02-09-12, 10:06
Ugh you guys are making me want to sell Lollipop Chainsaw for a copy of this again. ;___;

Nemo_91
02-09-12, 11:18
Just you wait for Bed of Chaos. That one is incredibly full of joy. :)

Nice name. :pi:

Did you meet this cute thing? : http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dPbKOrh5Reg#!

jarekhanzelka
02-09-12, 11:35
Did you meet this cute thing? : http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dPbKOrh5Reg#!

No I did nahwt. I expected the "all new content" to be a natural part of the game, but apparently one has to put quite some effort into finding it. I'm planning on doing just that on my second playthrough. :whi:

Nemo_91
02-09-12, 16:39
****ing Blighttown.

I just lost 20000 souls (pretty much all that I got from killing Quelaag).

**** you, Blighttown.

+ I keep falling at that ****ing tree branch. Died around 5 times there already.

lcroft_lc
04-09-12, 04:44
Those who are playing it on PC, how is the textures and graphics? Is it crap like Darksiders II? And is the control good enough to play with Keyboard? I don't use gamepad, that's why asking. :)

I heard the director of Dark Souls considering to add an easy mode. If the game is too hard people speaking, I might wanna play it after that easy mode patch. :o

Nemo_91
04-09-12, 08:59
The graphics are horrible without the resolution fix (don't even get me started on the cursor floating around on the screen). It looks pretty nice with it, tho. Far from crap.

I don't use gamepad either, and I think it's not that bad. The mouse sensivity could be better (much better) but it's not something you can't get used to.

I'd say don't wait for the easy patch. The game is not that hard if you're playing it the right way. You need to be patient and not rush into combat. The 'one-by-one' solution works here perfectly. The bosses can be tough but only if you don't study their attack patterns. As I said before, what rather makes it hard is the environment/level design. You'll fall from cliffs and NARROW TREE BRANCHES (looking at you Blighttown) lots of times. Plus some areas are just dark as ****.

lcroft_lc
04-09-12, 09:28
Thanks Nemo. :) Playing Sleeping Dogs where there is no mouse sensitivity option!

After reading your reviews, I might play it after finishing Darksiders II and Sleeping Dogs. :)

jarekhanzelka
04-09-12, 21:29
The most recent version of Desfix allows hud-free screenshots:

http://i.imgur.com/o35gB.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/K76qY.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/2hcpg.jpg

And yeah, I did start over with a brand new character, this time playing as a Hunter. Didn't really feel like doing NG+ with Rayne (my previous character, female Wanderer, I did actually try to make her look like Bloodrayne :4), though it was hard to say goodbye.

This guy is Donald, and I tried to make him look like Leon but I accidentally chose the wrong color for his hair and didn't even notice. >_>

Nemo_91
04-09-12, 22:34
Nice! I'll probably play as a pyromancer on my second playthrough.

^ That guy on the last pic scared the crap out of me when he suddenly attacked me in New Londo Ruins. :pi:

I'll try to take some screens tomorrow.

MangelinaJolie
05-09-12, 00:28
My first character was Rayne and modeled after her, too. Why are we so alike? :o