PDA

View Full Version : Footage from Free Radical's "Star Wars: Battlefront III"

ggctuk
07-04-12, 16:59
This wasn't leaked, and the guy who's posted this doesn't have this build. Kinda mkaes you wonder, though, why now? Maybe the rumours of Spark developing the game aren't so far-out after all...

Bear in mind, this is all pre-alpha. That means it's from an earlier build than the infamous leaked video of a few years back. There are glitches. But you can clearly see here that this got turned into Elite Squadron.

RVV5OTOGi14
fT4g0LAiOw0
rlJPbUoYZCE
PTDMAB1yvvE
o8hVCjqRQ-U
cBJFij8ejLc
uvqyG9GR7jg

Carbonek_0051
07-04-12, 17:01
Watched bits and pieces and I am so depressed this never happened.

ggctuk
07-04-12, 17:03
It definitely beats Elite Squadron into the ground.

TRDaz
07-04-12, 18:08
Really? Couldnt they have actually made BF3? I wanted this so bad >_>

SoupCard
07-04-12, 18:23
Desolation station and cato neimoidia looked like awesome maps.

TRDaz
07-04-12, 19:01
Desolation station and cato neimoidia looked like awesome maps.
True, they looked pretty cool.

ggctuk
10-04-12, 18:29
Sadly, Spark isn't developing BF3 (although they pitched that idea to LA, LA rejected it). They're doing Lost Planet 3.

SoupCard
10-04-12, 18:43
Actually Spark is working on two titles, LP3 is just one of them. Given these tweets:

“You want word on SWBF3, you should contact Lucasarts, I know I can speak more when the publisher speaks more.”

“Publisher hasn’t stated when or where the announcement will take place. The time and place could be close or far, far away.”

I'd say they're working on some sort of star wars game.

ggctuk
28-04-12, 16:34
More info has come to light:

Star Wars: Battlefront III was the victim of even more corporate idiocy than previously thought, with the revelation that the game was going through final QA (quality assurance) before it was cancelled outright.

Speaking in a new interview with GamesIndustry International, Free Radical Design co-founder Steve Ellis revealed that the developer's relationship with LucasArts was so good by 2007 that they already green lit preparatory work for Battlefront IV - a year before the third game was complete.

But problems occurred at the beginning of 2008 when a new management team at LucasArts were forced to make budget cuts, and suddenly relationships soured.

All of this has been guessed at before but what's shocking is just how close the game was to completion. 'It was pretty much done, it was in final QA. It had been in final QA for half of 2008 it was just being fixed for release,' says Ellis.

'LucasArts' opinion is that when you launch a game you have to spend big on the marketing and they're right. But at that time they were, for whatever reason, unable to commit to spending big. They effectively canned a game that was finished,' he said.

This echoes our own theories behind the game's demise, as detailed in a recent midweek feature, but although the awful logic behind LucasArts' decision is common enough we can't think of any other example that's quite as extreme as this.

Several video clips of unfinished footage from the game have leaked, with the one below the most recent version that we're aware of. ( This video was leaked only a few weeks ago but is from an earlier build of the game).

Elsewhere in the same interview Ellis reveals that around the time Battlefront was going belly up Activision got in contact to see if the team would be interesting in working on a new GoldenEye 007 game. Ellis and the rest of the senior team worked on the original Nintendo 64 game, before leaving Rare.

'As you can imagine that was something that was very well-received by a lot of the staff, it was going to be a great project to work on. But as we jumped at the opportunity it suddenly disappeared. We never got a real explanation about why it disappeared. I suspect it was to do with rights about which platforms a GoldenEye sequel could be released on,' says Ellis.

Activision had apparently been interested in acquiring Free Radical but that deal also fell through, and in the end they were only saved from bankruptcy by being bought out by German developer Crytek.

Rumours yesterday suggest Crytek UK, as they are now known, are currently working on TimeSplitters 4, although no announcement has ever been made.

Ellis himself has left the company and set up a new studio called Crash Lab with fellow Free Radical and Rare veterans Martin Wakeley and Lee Musgrave. They're currently working on three new iOS projects. That may seem a comedown from some of the biggest franchises in gaming - but it's not hard to imagine how much they must relish not having to deal with publishers anymore.

As for Battlefront III, the latest rumours indicate it's being started again from scratch by Spark Unlimited - the team behind critical disasters Turning Point, Legendary and the forthcoming Lost Planet 3. It's suggested LucasArts may be planning a reveal at E3 in June.

TRDaz
28-04-12, 17:15
As for Battlefront III, the latest rumours indicate it's being started again from scratch by Spark Unlimited - the team behind critical disasters Turning Point, Legendary and the forthcoming Lost Planet 3. It's suggested LucasArts may be planning a reveal at E3 in June.
I hope this is true... I want you in my life BF3 <3

ggctuk
28-04-12, 18:22
I hope this is true... I want you in my life BF3 <3

Nope, Spark's already said they're not making BFIII, and the only unannounced game left from them is a 3rd-person action/slasher game.

Weemanply109
29-04-12, 16:28
Watching the videos and I realise that I don't think this game would fare well in today's market. It looks just like the last games and it would need a huge revamp in order to standout (even though the words "Star Wars" and the fact that it's battlefront will automatically generate the game hundreds of thousands of sales).

I just don't see it being really big.

SoupCard
29-04-12, 17:44
Nope, Spark's already said they're not making BFIII, and the only unannounced game left from them is a 3rd-person action/slasher game.

Yeah, that's too bad. I wonder if they were purposefully making tweets that reference Star Wars for publicity, or maybe my dreams have come true and they're making a new Jedi Knight game? I doubt it.

TRDaz
29-04-12, 18:43
:pi: Im annoyed now.

jarekhanzelka
29-04-12, 18:59
Trust me, you wouldn't want it if it was made by Spark. :pi:

TRDaz
29-04-12, 19:00
Trust me, you wouldn't want it if it was made by Spark. :pi:
Why? They make bad games?

jarekhanzelka
29-04-12, 19:03
Why? They make bad games?

You quoted it yourself :p

critical disasters Turning Point, Legendary ...

Two of the worst first-person shooters I've ever had the misfortune to as much as watch the trailers of...

TRDaz
29-04-12, 19:17
You quoted it yourself :p

Two of the worst first-person shooters I've ever had the misfortune to as much as watch the trailers of...
Oh didnt see that :pi: We need someone else to start working on BF3!!! :pi:

Weemanply109
29-04-12, 23:07
Who would you recommend work on it then? :pi:

TRDaz
30-04-12, 21:26
Uhmm.. I wouldnt know, but I just want it :pi:

jarekhanzelka
30-04-12, 22:09

Literally anyone other than Spark. It's possibly the single least talented developer team I've ever known.

Johnnay
01-05-12, 09:21
why Lucasarts... Why

:'(

ggctuk
10-05-12, 20:35
why Lucasarts... Why

:'(

Apparently, it's all down to three simple words: The Force Unleashed.

Johnnay
10-05-12, 20:43
Apparently, it's all down to three simple words: The Force Unleashed.

Which sold less than BF .

ggctuk
10-05-12, 20:55
Which sold less than BF .

It wasn't a bad game, but as I understand it, they had a major restructure and they had to decide which game to keep. They kept the in-house one.

Oh, and before I forget...

8p9fJ62Jbv8

ggctuk
06-07-12, 17:38
Who wants an hour more of the game that never came to be?

VJfc4bAiByM

lcroft_lc
11-04-13, 10:33
Star Wars: Battlefront 3 gameplay footage leaked

Early footage of a 'Version Two' project shows land and air vehicular combat

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/400410/star-wars-battlefront-3-gameplay-footage-leaked/

ggctuk
11-04-13, 19:25
Star Wars: Battlefront 3 gameplay footage leaked

Early footage of a 'Version Two' project shows land and air vehicular combat

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/400410/star-wars-battlefront-3-gameplay-footage-leaked/

I touched upon this in this thread (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showpost.php?p=6746675&postcount=58), but I'll say it again: any developer that has touched SWBFIII has turned into a manging pile of heap. Tragic :(

Underhoe
11-04-13, 19:54
This is just way too depressing.

Hyper_Crazy
11-04-13, 20:05
Would love to see the videos, shame they've been taken down.

Dark_Messiah
11-04-13, 20:33
This game leaked, AGAIN?

It leaked for like the 30th time now. People just need to put it down already..

ggctuk
11-04-13, 20:44
This game leaked, AGAIN?

It leaked for like the 30th time now. People just need to put it down already..

Free Radical tried it. LucasArts (effectively) shut them down.

Rebellion Developments tried it next. Actually, they were the most successful, because they got a completed game out of it, even though it was not Battlefront III but rather Elite Squadron.

Then it got touted about the developers like Pandemic, Spark Unlimited etc. Killed by developer and publisher alike before the flame even got sparked.

So, LucasArts themselves decide to give it a try, knowing full-well that it was A, what the fans wanted, and B, it was likely to make them a boat load of cash. And what happens? Irony strikes. Disney shuts down LucasArts.

domino92
11-04-13, 22:32
Well Disney certainly won't respect the Star Wars license, not that Lucas did much themselves. I think any hope we would get a BF3 was snuffed out with the death of Lucasarts.

ggctuk
06-05-13, 09:08
Here, have that infamous trailer from Free Radicalfront III, now with no cellphones at the back row!

8vwI8F6HkrM

The original video did this game no justice. By the looks of things, this was pretty much damn-near finished.