PDA

View Full Version : Would you research a game to advance gameplay?

savalia
11-04-12, 08:10
I wasn't exactly sure where to post this, so I am gonna generalize the question and ask it, kind of like a poll....

If there was a custom TRNG level that contained a room completely textured with Egyptian hieroglyphics(as part of an in-game puzzle), and in a cut scene or FMV, Lara is shown speaking with someone about where and how to decipher the "glyphs". Would you loose interest in playing that level if you would have to do "independent" research to solve the the room's puzzle?

If you had to research the glyphs an decipher them manually through an internet or book search as opposed to having the solution provided in game...

:confused:

Barry Matharoo
11-04-12, 08:15
I would lose interest. I don't mind searching and deciphring in the game. But if it makes me open the internet and google I will lose interest. This ain't a browser game :p

TRDaz
11-04-12, 08:34
On some games I research some things if I see something interesting, but I only do that for the games I am super interested in :D

Jami393
11-04-12, 08:44
The only time I would mainly do research in a games is to learn about the development. I once and still doing a lot of my own research on Sonic the Hedgehog 3.

TRDaz
11-04-12, 10:16
I also mainly do research with Assassins Creed games since all the history that they include is very interesting! I researched a lot when I was playing Brotherhood :D

Jami393
11-04-12, 10:22
I also mainly do research with Assassins Creed games since all the history that they include is very interesting! I researched a lot when I was playing Brotherhood :D

Same here. I looked up some of his inventions which Ezio had to go and destroy.

savalia
11-04-12, 21:59
Thanks for the quick responses!

I get the general idea, that if the player is "in the moment" killing it with a google search is a bad idea.

So I will ask this.
If a puzzle in a custom TRNG level has two solutions, the first where you trigger the trap and navigate through it and a second method where you could research the info to disarm the trap (and possibly gain bonus supplies).

Would disarming the trap with a small amount of research be a viable solution? (would it give you a reason to go back and replay the level to see the outcome of the alternate puzzle solution?)

larafan25
11-04-12, 22:06
Well people are already going to go and google the walktrhough, so you might as well make it part of the puzzle.

Jami393
11-04-12, 22:12
Well people are already going to go and google the walktrhough, so you might as well make it part of the puzzle.

Why Google it when you go to some websites such as GameFAQs/Gamespot and IGN.

larafan25
11-04-12, 22:27
Why Google it when you go to some websites such as GameFAQs/Gamespot and IGN.

Well what I'm saying is they leave the game to find the information they seek on the web, so it's quite similar.

domino92
11-04-12, 22:57
I don't mind doing additional research, like finding weapon damage per second or percentages for instant kill headshots in the RE games, but mandatory research? That just takes the gamer out of the experience, sounds like an educational game.

savalia
13-04-12, 06:50
Well what I'm saying is they leave the game to find the information they seek on the web, so it's quite similar.

If the custom level gets enough attention, someone will do a walkthrough and include the puzzle solutions, reguardless. right?

(does the author have to supply a walkthrough when submitting a level to one of the sites?)