PDA

View Full Version : General Core Design Thread

Jami393
11-04-12, 19:58
I thought I would start this thread on the original developer of Tomb Raider, Core Design. I thought I'd start by saying one of their games I did enjoy but only played a bad port is Corporation, or as it is known in the US is Cyber-Cop. I'm currently trying to get it working with the DosBox emulator, but no luck at the moment.:(

King.Louie
11-04-12, 20:00
I loved Fighting Force!

larafan25
11-04-12, 20:03
I've only played the TR games and ....TR4 is probably my favorite Core game, followed by TR1 (I didn't think I'd like this one).

jarekhanzelka
11-04-12, 20:04
Fighting Force, Project Eden, Rick Dangerous, and of course Tomb Raiders...yeah, they were good, and will always be missed. *grabs a tissue*

Zelda master
11-04-12, 20:15
Rick Dangerous was actually pretty cool :p

jarekhanzelka
11-04-12, 20:22
Rick Dangerous was actually pretty cool :p

I know, right?! He was one of my many free babysitters (well, technically not free, but you get the point). <3

Ceamonks890
11-04-12, 20:29
The only games I played from Core, were their Tomb Raider games. Looking at their list of games that they made on Wikipedia/YouTube, there isn't really any other games they made, that I would like. They're either not appealing to me, or just plain weird *cough Herdy Gerdy cough*

Jami393
11-04-12, 20:30
Who is Rick Dangerous? Because the only games I know by Core is Corporation (Cyber-Cop), Fighting Force (didn't know it was developed by Core at first) and of course Tomb Raider.

jarekhanzelka
11-04-12, 20:30
The only games I played from Core, were their Tomb Raider games. Looking at their list of games that they made on Wikipedia/YouTube, there isn't really any other games they made, that I would like. They're either not appealing to me, or just plain weird *cough Herdy Gerdy cough*

If you liked their Tomb Raiders, Project Eden should be right up your alley tbh.

Ceamonks890
11-04-12, 20:42
@jarekhanzelka, I've seen Project Eden gameplay, and I think I'll pass on it. I definitely saw some classic TR influence in there, but it seems to focus more on co-op and shooting gameplay. I know the Wikipedia entry mentions puzzle solving, but I couldn't find any gameplay on YT, related to the puzzles.

ajrich17901
11-04-12, 20:45
I was a huge fan of Core games growing up, obviously Tomb Raider was the main series I played but I also liked.

Fighting Force
Fighting Force 2
Free Running
Project Eden
Ninja: Shadow of Darkness

Laras Boyfr.
11-04-12, 20:46
If you liked their Tomb Raiders, Project Eden should be right up your alley tbh.

Exactly.
I played only the Demo but it was fantastic D:
I always had that feeling that the PE Engine would be a great engine for AOD.
They mightve get many things better that way...

ggctuk
11-04-12, 21:52
Tom Raider

I've never played that. Is it any good? Does the story revolve around raiding Toms? :pi: :p

Jami393
11-04-12, 21:58
I've never played that. Is it any good? Does the story revolve around raiding Toms? :pi: :p

I thought I typed the "B" in "Tomb", oh well.:p

Anyway I read on this thread about this game called Rick Dangerous, what is is?

ajrich17901
11-04-12, 22:02
I thought I typed the "B" in "Tomb", oh well.:p

Anyway I read on this thread about this game called Rick Dangerous, what is is?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Dangerous
zfxES5zAuZ8

Jami393
11-04-12, 22:05
Is Rick Dangerous an enjoyable game?

ajrich17901
12-04-12, 16:11

Doesn't look like it, but according to reviews a lot of people enjoyed it back in the day.

jarekhanzelka
12-04-12, 16:17

It was of what I remember of it. No idea if I'd like it today.

Carbonek_0051
12-04-12, 16:18
I never got far in Project Eden, I tried to like it, but something about the game kept putting me off. :p

Jami393
12-04-12, 16:46
It was of what I remember of it. No idea if I'd like it today.

If it enjoyable then I'll take your word for it. Also why wouldn't you like the game still?

jajay119
12-04-12, 16:52
To be honest, Tomb Raider was the only game/ series by Core that I liked. I tried Fighting Force but I found it a bit dull really, I would have much prefered a new Streets of Rage than that. I got Free Running a couple of weeks ago on the PSP and haven't progressed past the training section. The camera is annoying and the controls are complicated and laggy sometimes. I'm sure that the game would be more bareable on the PS2 though.

Phlip
12-04-12, 17:01
Tomb Raider was all I really played and liked. :)

Anja
12-04-12, 17:03
TR is the only game I've played from Core.

ajrich17901
12-04-12, 17:10
I actually really like Free Running, the animations are a lot more smooth than the animations used in AOD's engine. Apparently the free running engine is what Cores Anniversary Edition was running on, and if that's true it would have been epic.

Jami393
12-04-12, 17:19
So does anyone know when Core Design actually got closed down? Also why did they get closed down?

jajay119
12-04-12, 17:28
I can't remember the exact year but when Sci bought out Eidos they were sold to Rebellion, which shut down the Derby office in 2010 due to lack of financing.

Megalith
12-04-12, 17:28
I loved Rick Dangerous back in the day and when i learned (much later) that Tomb raider was from the same developers suddenly it all made perfect sense!

I don't think i have to say how much i love Core,their legacy will forever speak for itself.
My favorite "what if" scenario would have been if someone was able to gather the original team again (even with Toby) to make a new,"small" downloadable game using an improved version of the old TR engine.The concept wouldn't have to be TR or Lara related,just anything they would have liked to do.

voltz
12-04-12, 20:28
I can't remember the exact year but when Sci bought out Eidos they were sold to Rebellion, which shut down the Derby office in 2010 due to lack of financing.

I also remember they brought out that shoddy AVP game which was half finished, so I don't know what the status is on Rebellion or if they're still around.

Does anyone know of the games they made for genesis/segaCD? It seems Bubba'n Stix were all that I can remember.

Jami393
12-04-12, 20:32
Does anyone know of the games they made for genesis/segaCD? It seems Bubba'n Stix were all that I can remember.

A game of theirs called Chuck Rock came out for the Mega-CD but it came out ofr other consoles also.

Mikky
12-04-12, 20:34
I thought I would start this thread on the original developer of Tom Raider, Core Design. I thought I'd start by saying one of their games I did enjoy but only played a bad port is Corporation, or as it is known in the US is Cyber-Cop. I'm currently trying to get it working with the DosBox emulator, but no luck at the moment.:(

I am not amused.

The only Core games I remember playing were the TR ones and Fighting Force 1 & 2. FF2 was so different from 1 for some reason.

Jami393
12-04-12, 20:41
I am not amused.

Corrected the issue now, thanks for pointing it out for me Mikky.:tmb:

voltz
12-04-12, 21:53
A game of theirs called Chuck Rock came out for the Mega-CD but it came out ofr other consoles also.

Oh now I rmemeber. Son of Chuck and B.C. Racers were two of their biggest followups. They also have SoulStar and some ground combat game.