PDA

View Full Version : Gay Characters in Gaming

Carbonek_0051
13-04-12, 04:32
So, something I thought we could discuss (maturely) due to the recent theories the new Dante is gay and a convo in the God of War thread.

How would you feel about a main character that is gay from the start of the game? Or do you think they should keep that to RPG's where it's out choice to be gay, bi, or straight?

In my personal opinion I would love to see a main character that was gay from the start. I've never really seen it done, but I think it would be neat. I know sexuality doesn't really affect gameplay, but it would be cool to have a character I can relate to fully who is the ultimate badass. :D

You opinions?

P.S. Please discuss things respectfully and maturely, or I will ask a mod to close the thread.

ajrich17901
13-04-12, 04:35
As I said in the GOW thread, I wouldn't mind it as long as it wasn't forced upon the player. There's nothing wrong with a character being gay, but personally when I'm playing a game I wanna connect with the character as much as possible so I can connect with the game more so honestly speaking I only like playing straight characters.

So as long as its not them taking an established series and making the character gay for shock value, sure why not. As long as its done with taste , let them do whatever floats their boats.

Carbonek_0051
13-04-12, 04:41
Oh I definitely agree. I want it done in a way where it's not going to affect the experience in a way where it seems tacked on. Sadly I think it's going to take awhile before that happens due to the fact it's such a controversial topic and anyone doing it would probably be doing it for the sake of controversy.

When I play games I don't really pay attention to the sexuality and it doesn't really come into play unless the story has romance in it. So I'm not sure how this can be done.

Tombraiderx08
13-04-12, 04:46
I wouldn't mind it if it wasn't like, stereotyped... or forced or something :p.

Tear
13-04-12, 04:48
Obviously, I would love it.:tmb:

Ninja Theory is so bold that I think, if DMC were their original series, there'd be a good chance that Dante would've been a gay character.:cool:

Carbonek_0051
13-04-12, 04:48
^I've already said in the DmC thread I totally wouldn't mind Dante being gay. But I can't see them making him gay due to him being an established character already.

I do think Ninja Theory would be bold enough as well. To be honest, I would love them to be the ones to handle making a gay character. Their character development is fantastic.
I wouldn't mind it if it wasn't like, stereotyped...

That's something too. I wouldn't want them to be overly campy or have the character flaunt their sexuality. It would just bother me. :o

Tombraiderx08
13-04-12, 04:52
Don't get me wrong, campy can be good but, not in my video games, plz :3

CiaKonwerski
13-04-12, 04:53
Honestly...I wouldn't care. The point however is, I don't know why it would come up unless of course part of the story. If it was a game where there were other characters and interactions etc. then sure, their sexuality should probably come out at some point, especially if a romance is involved. However if the character is just trying to get their goal completed without any necessary stops and what have you, I don't see why their sexuality would matter one way or the other. I suppose it all depends on what type of game it is really. But yeah, I wouldn't care if a character was "gay" bi, or whatever.

Stevo505
13-04-12, 04:56
I don't know why sexuality has to play a big role in video games. I don't even like it that much when there is romance. If it was referenced to, then I think it would be fine. I think if it's a part of the story, like Mass Effect 3 (or The Sims...) then the character should be pretty much asexual until you guide them in the direction of the sexuality you prefer them to have.

Carbonek_0051
13-04-12, 04:57
I've already raised that point. I don't know how it could be done in a way where it doesn't seem forced or have it without it being part of the story (i.e. romance). That's one of the issues.

With games like Mass Effect & Dragon Age it's out choice and does affect the story somewhat. But outside of RPG's I don't know how it would work.

Also referencing it might work, like a character tries to hit on the character and they say something along the lines of "your not my type" or something. But I don't know, it would seem cheesy. :p

CiaKonwerski
13-04-12, 04:58
I cannot believe however that there are actually anti-gay groups who protest against video games where there are "gay" possibilities. Like...really....is there nothing better to protest about...

Stevo505
13-04-12, 05:00
I cannot believe however that there are actually anti-gay groups who protest against video games where there are "gay" possibilities. Like...really....is there nothing better to protest about...

The world is a messed up place. There were people talking about how The Hunger Games was ruined for them because one of the little girls was black. Just disgusting.

Tombraiderx08
13-04-12, 05:01
They can march around and parade their rude heterosexuality, there will always be gays :p

Tear
13-04-12, 05:02
I don't see how it would have to be forced...

I'm just picturing DMC3 with Lady being replaced by an attractive male. You know there's sexual tension between Dante and Lady but is anything shoved in our face..?
That's all I want. I want a character who just happens to be attracted to males. He doesn't have to be searching for his kidnapped boyfriend in a Super Mario fashion. Just replace the female love interest with a male...

No?

CiaKonwerski
13-04-12, 05:03
@Stevo-When in the book she was described as "dark-skinned" (so I read). It's like really...I just don't get it. :p

It might just be better for game developers to leave most characters asexual, apart from RPG's etc. otherwise a lot of ignorant people will begin to protest video games in general and how they are "making their children gay" :l Of course I don't believe people should be afraid to be creative but from a business standpoint, it might be best.

Stevo505
13-04-12, 05:03

I'm just picturing DMC3 with Lady being replaced by an attractive male. You know there's sexual tension between Dante and Lady but is anything shoved in our face..?
That's all I want. I want a character who just happens to be attracted to males. He doesn't have to be searching for his kidnapped boyfriend in a Super Mario fashion. Just replace the female love interest with a male...

No?

Yes. Something like that could be very tastefully done. I would be happy if all romance was done like this in video games.

@Stevo-When in the book she was described as "dark-skinned" (so I read). It's like really...I just don't get it. :p

Yep, dark skin with dark eyes. I don't know what other race that could be. And I don't even understand why it should matter what race she is to the audience :(

Carbonek_0051
13-04-12, 05:04

And that's why I don't see a gay main character happening anytime soon. :/

I know how much crap Bioware was getting for Dragon Age II and adding the option in Mass Effect 3. Sadly no one was complaining about the lesbian interactions at least not that I saw or not to the extent it was being complained about as severely as the gay male choices.

So it's a very touchy subject, so I don't see it happening for awhile.

No?
Oh I agree. I am just saying with how controversial this thing is, I can't see it being done without being forced. :p I definitely agree something like that would be tasteful.

Shark_Blade
13-04-12, 05:06
The way I see it.

Sora, Rikku, Terra and Ventus from Kingdom Hearts are gay. When Sora finally found Kairi in Kh2, he's like "oh hai. Whatever", but when he met Rikku he embraced him and shed tears. It's a pattern in KH anyway for pretty boys Ventus and Sora to go for their manhunt: for Terra and Rikku respectively.

LAU Lara is lesbian.

Oh, put Sonic in there as well.

Tear
13-04-12, 05:07
And that's why I don't see a gay main character happening anytime soon. :/

I know how much crap Bioware was getting for Dragon Age II and adding the option in Mass Effect 3. Sadly no one was complaining about the lesbian interactions at least not that I saw or not to the extent it was being complained about as severely as the gay male choices.

Because two hot chicks hooking up is hot and two hairy dudes hooking up is ****ing disgusting!:rolleyes: This is why I hate people.

Stevo505
13-04-12, 05:09
The way I see it.

Sora, Rikku, Terra and Ventus from Kingdom Hearts are gay. When Sora finally found Kairi in Kh2, he's like "oh hai. Whatever", but when he met Rikku he embraced him and shed tears. It's a pattern in KH anyway for pretty boys Ventus and Sora to go for their manhunt: for Terra and Rikku respectively.

I didn't think about this when I played through KH and KH2. But now that you mention it it's kinda obvious to me :p

MangelinaJolie
13-04-12, 05:10
The way they've been done so far in, say, Bioware games is a little bit much I think. Let's look at Steve as an example: it literally defined his character and there was nothing else to him. It was a nice gesture, but unfortunately, I don't see that as an ideal way of going about introducing such a thing.

Carbonek_0051
13-04-12, 05:14
The way I see it.

No. People need to stop seeing things where there aren't any things to see. Riku is Sora's best friend and has been since his childhood and Kairi he only knew for a shorter period of time. They even race for the Paopu fruit at the beginning to give to Kairi which shows Sora has a thing for Kairi, even the ending of KH1 shows that and most of the story in KH1 shows that. Not only that but he is trying to remember Kairi the most in KHII. With Kairi, Sora already knew she would be fine because of the ending of KH1. However when it comes to Riku he didn't even know he was still around due to being locked up in the door of darkness. I would be more emtional seeing a friend that I thought I lost.

Ventus looks up to to Terra because he wants to be a Keyblade Master like him. He's not going to look up to Aqua who is a female. I am tired of fans making up silly theories about them being gay. Kingdom Hearts has no gay undertones at all.

/off-topic rant
I didn't think about this when I played through KH and KH2. But now that you mention it it's kinda obvious to me :p
The reason you didn't notice it is because it's not there. If you actually play the games Sora is fixated on findind and remembering Kairi, and as for Riku he just wants his best friend to be okay.
Because two hot chicks hooking up is hot and two hairy dudes hooking up is ****ing disgusting!:rolleyes: This is why I hate people.

Sad, but true. It's how most people think. :/

Camera Obscura
13-04-12, 05:35
Nate's gay rant

So you were okay with Dante being gay but as soon as someone mentions Sora or Riku you flip? :rolleyes:

I just replayed the entire KH2 introduction last night. Axel is so gay for Roxas.

Axel: If you turn your back on the Organization, they'll destroy you!
Roxas: No one would miss me. _
Axel: THAT'S NOT TRUE! I would. *cue pouty face*

Getcho boi Axel! :ohn:

Shark_Blade
13-04-12, 05:35
Oh, and another gay character. That red haired guy, Axel in KH2. He seemed to have a thing for Roxas, even in his dying breath.

Carbonek_0051
13-04-12, 05:42
So you were okay with Dante being gay but as soon as someone mentions Sora or Riku you flip? :rolleyes:

I just replayed the entire KH2 introduction last night. Axel is so gay for Roxas.

Axel: If you turn your back on the Organization, they'll destroy you!
Roxas: No one would miss me. _
Axel: THAT'S NOT TRUE! I would. *cue pouty face*

Getcho boi Axel! :ohn:
If you played 358/2 Days you would understand why Axel said that. They were best friends, Axel was friends with Sax but Roxas was the first to make him feel like he was human still.

Also yes, I am fine with Dante being gay because it's a mature game. Kingdom Hearts is a purely innocent game with no gay undertones. It's really ****ing stupid people think there are. It's like there can't be a completely innocent close friendship between two males without people assuming they are gay. :rolleyes:
Oh, and another gay character. That red haired guy, Axel in KH2. He seemed to have a thing for Roxas, even in his dying breath.
Erm. No. Seriously, there is no gay undertones in KH. People obviously haven't paid attention to the story and character development.

Phlip
13-04-12, 06:05
Doesn't the news reporter in the new DMC trailer say Dante is a rapist or something? If my memory serves me, maybe it'd be best if he's not gay. =/

Carbonek_0051
13-04-12, 06:08
Doesn't the news reporter in the new DMC trailer say Dante is a rapist or something? If my memory serves me, maybe it'd be best if he's not gay. =/

Erm, no. He is called a sexual deviant. :p

deviant (dv-nt)
adj.
Differing from a norm or from the accepted standards of a society.
n.
One that differs from a norm, especially a person whose behavior and attitudes differ from accepted social standards.

deviant [deve-ant]
1. varying from a determinable standard.
2. a person with characteristics varying from what is considered standard or normal.
sexual deviant a person exhibiting sexual deviation.

That's why people are assuming he is gay, because the reporter is claiming to do God's work and says that, so they are basically thinking he looks down on Dante for being "different than the norm" about his sexuality since a lot of Religious fanatics tend to call homosexuals "sexual deviants" when it comes to not agreeing with the lifestyle.

It could be a lot of different things. But I don't think he is a rapist or anything extreme.

Camera Obscura
13-04-12, 06:23
If you played 358/2 Days you would understand why Axel said that. They were best friends, Axel was friends with Sax but Roxas was the first to make him feel like he was human still.

Also yes, I am fine with Dante being gay because it's a mature game. Kingdom Hearts is a purely innocent game with no gay undertones. It's really ****ing stupid people think their are. It's like there can't be a completely innocent close friendship between two males without people assuming they are gay. :rolleyes:

Erm. No. Seriously, there is no gay undertones in KH. People obviously haven't paid attention to the story and character development.

Why are you associating Gay=Mature? Are you saying that a video game with a gay character automatically means it's going to come with sexual overtones that would make it too obscene for children? But a hetero character is permissible because s/he is family friendly? Can a boy not fall in love with another boy just as innocently as a boy falls in love with a girl?

And I'm aware of 358/2 Day's plot so I know Axel and Roxas are BFFs. But if Square decided they wanted to develop their relationship so that they were more than just friends it would NOT be okay because Roxas is a kid? Or is it because you don't want Gay in your Disney? But Dante being gay is A.O.K because he's full of naked fanservice and is rumored to be a sexual deviant?

Talk about a ****ing double standard Nate. No wonder people are so apprehensive about gay characters if THAT's the kind of standard the gay community is pushing for.

http://59daysofcode.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/618px-JeanLucPicardFacepalm-150x150.jpg

Carbonek_0051
13-04-12, 06:28
No I don't want homosexuality in my Disney or Kingdom Hearts series, while I don't think homosexuality is bad to expose to children, I don't think it's something that children should be exposed to so heavily.

Also I am not okay with Dante because of the nudity or sexual deviant comment. I don't mind it because it's not a big deal, but both in the DmC thread & GoW thread I said I would prefer if he stayed a ladies man. Don't take established characters and turn them gay for shock value.

Sure it may be double standards, but whatever. I don't like the idea of taking two teens and making them "gay" because fans are seeing what they want to see instead of taking the story for what it really is.

Phlip
13-04-12, 06:31
while I don't think homosexuality is bad to expose to children, I don't think it's something that children should be exposed to so heavily.

But hetrosexuality can be exposed to kids more, in your opinion?

Carbonek_0051
13-04-12, 06:32
But hetrosexuality can be exposed to kids more, in your opinion?
I'm not saying that either, I don't think any sort of sexuality should be exposed to children.

Horus-Goddess
13-04-12, 06:48
Well this isn't a game per-se but I do remember growing up watching the Sailor Moon series. There were two lesbian characters in the show, though for the english dub they made the two girls "cousins". But even at that young age I thought the interaction between the two was a little more than cousins. If anything, it made the "cousin" claim a bit weird. There were also gay male characters too, and they tried to write off one as being a girl. Even though it was obvious he wasn't a chick at all.

Looking back at these things, none of it really affected me negatively in any way. Granted as I got older I realized that I did have an attraction to other girls as well as boys, and never did it feel wrong except for the fact I grew up in a mostly Christian family. So I was constantly told it was wrong to be gay and that it isn't an accepted lifestyle. Wasn't until I got older that I realized it's not wrong at all, it's actually a quite natural thing. Even some people who are hetero tried homosexual activities at some point in their lives just to "try it".

I guess the point I'm trying to make is, I don't see how it'd be such a problem if a game had homosexual characters in it even if it was directed at children. I always felt that some of the characters in Kingdom Hearts could have leaned either way. And it's not uncommon for Japanese anime or games to have gay characters. From what I've seen, over there it looks to be more accepted than it is here, which I kind of admire of them. "Maria-sama ga Miteru" is a really good example of an anime directed at a younger age-group (around 13+, high school age) that had lesbian characters but it was done very tastefully (I thought). And it wasn't made for boys either, it was for girls.

I mean... I guess I would just say it would have been nice if there had been more gay characters in the media I was watching growing up. Because I felt so alone or "weird" for what I was going through... it would have been nice to have been shown that such behavior wasn't such a terrible thing. Course that might go against parents' beliefs and in that case they could keep their kids from it. But I hope what I'm trying to say is making some kind of sense.

So with that said I don't see why there couldn't be gay characters in children's media (including games). It doesn't have to be outright sexual, obviously. It could simply be hinted at or just suggested.

Ceamonks890
13-04-12, 07:44
I prefer the characters in video games I play, to be straight. Although I think it's perfectly fine to include 'options' in mature games, for those that want to take an alternative 'route' in the game, but not in series like Kingdom Hearts, Spyro The Dragon or Sly Cooper for example(as they are primarily aimed at a younger audience.)

scoopy_loopy
13-04-12, 07:47
I don't mind a protagonist like the new Dante being gay. He's obviously not going to be pashing guys on camera, I doubt Dante would even have lines disclosing the fact (that trailer/cutscene is probably all we're going to get. If, indeed, he is gay at all.), big wigs would be afraid it wouldn't sell. So it's fine. :p

Even in Japan media with gay leads is somewhat niche-y.

The way they've been done so far in, say, Bioware games is a little bit much I think. Let's look at Steve as an example: it literally defined his character and there was nothing else to him. It was a nice gesture, but unfortunately, I don't see that as an ideal way of going about introducing such a thing.

I really liked Steve. I don't think his sexuality defined him, it was the fact he was damaged goods. :o The game didn't present him being gay as part of the issue, but as a fine print note. Besides he was always going to be less developed compared to the other characters, just like Vega et al.

MangelinaJolie
13-04-12, 08:24
I really liked Steve. I don't think his sexuality defined him, it was the fact he was damaged goods. :o The game didn't present him being gay as part of the issue, but as a fine print note. Besides he was always going to be less developed compared to the other characters, just like Vega et al.

Eh, I disagree. For me all I heard was "husband" in every other sentence, a constant reminder of what he is, right along with the constant gay jokes with Vega.

Kaidan, on the other hand, was not like that at all.

scoopy_loopy
13-04-12, 08:52
Eh, I disagree. For me all I heard was "husband" in every other sentence, a constant reminder of what he is, right along with the constant gay jokes with Vega.

Kaidan, on the other hand, was not like that at all.

That's my point. He doesn't gay angst, he widow angsts. You could replace "husband" with "wife" and he'd be the same character. Would you still be peeved?

jarekhanzelka
13-04-12, 09:22
I actually believe many of my favourite characters are gay. I just will never know because they will never get the chance to romance anyone. Poor guys.

In either case, I wouldn't mind a gay guy character who even would have romantic scenes in the game if it would fit well into the story and everything. I didn't mind it in Brokeback Mountain, so I reckon I wouldn't mind it in videogame either. Unless, perhaps, if the sex scene was interactive...:pi:

Zelda master
13-04-12, 09:49
Well honestly I wouldn't care if the characters were gay or not, seriously I play a game that feature's this guy (http://images.wikia.com/zelda/images/8/88/Tingle_Artwork_(Freshly-Picked_Tingle's_Rosy_Rupeeland).png) as the main character. I can safely assure you, he is gay and the game is a blast!

TheCoolJazz
13-04-12, 10:14
I dont care really, In fact i love it when there is a gay romance option in a game like Mass Effect (Finally, Bioware took their sweet time).

scoopy_loopy
13-04-12, 10:23
I dont care really, In fact i love it when there is a gay romance option in a game like Mass Effect (Finally, Bioware took their sweet time).

Jade Empire had M/M & F/F way back in '05. :D (And it was flawless. Utterly flawless. <3)

Rachie737
13-04-12, 10:36
I'd welcome the change. It wouldn't really matter to me either way, as long as it plays well. If anything, a gay character would be more endearing to me because of the social stigma still surrounding homosexuality.

Wouldn't it be great if video games as a medium were the first to really embrace homosexuality maturely? :D

matrix54
13-04-12, 11:58
This thread speak volumes about the current state of society, but the thread title alone.

Here's my personal, yet, short opinion: If a character is a gay, they're gay, and the creator shouldn't be afraid, or scared to do so, either. It should be about as controversial as a character being Hispanic, or female, or being disabled - not at all.

We should brush is off, similar to when we see a Muscular white man with brown hair, which is quite common. It is what it is. Diversity is nice, but it shouldn't be forced either.

Phlip
13-04-12, 12:44
I prefer the characters in video games I play, to be straight. Although I think it's perfectly fine to include 'options' in mature games, for those that want to take an alternative 'route' in the game, but not in series like Kingdom Hearts, Spyro The Dragon or Sly Cooper for example(as they are primarily aimed at a younger audience.)

May I ask why not, if you think it's fine to be straight in games like Spyro?

TheCoolJazz
13-04-12, 13:00
Jade Empire had M/M & F/F way back in '05. :D (And it was flawless. Utterly flawless. <3)

I did not play Jade Empire yet but ill sure try to :D
But what i meant was the fact that Bioware could have done it in Mass Effect 2 but they pushed it until Mass Effect 3 :o

Zebra
13-04-12, 13:04

Why would the child-oriented portray of homosexuality be any worse than the child-oriented portray of heterosexuality?

Legend of Lara
13-04-12, 13:10
http://i.imgur.com/Q5tnh.jpg?1

No, really. This game explores the rather heavy theme of teenagers coming to terms with their sexual identities. One of them is vaguely homophobic, one of them is not sure if he's gay or not (it's up to the player's interpretation in the end), the protagonist can choose which stance to take on the issue, etc.

There's also Persona 2 where the protagonist can hook up with one of the dude party members.

CiaKonwerski
13-04-12, 13:33

I really don't see that as an issue honestly. If they're exposed to it at a younger age, they will most likely be more accepting of it later in life. In Spyro I know that the leopard or whatever fell in love with that one girl jaguar or something. Why would it not be okay for him to have fallen in love with Spyro? Gay doesn't instantly mean sex or whatever else a lot of people think of it when it comes to mind. I think by introducing two male characters who fall in love with each other, or at least are very compassionate toward one another, it may help people lose that stereotypical perspective. As there is no difference b/w a man and another man than there is b/w man and a woman. I'm not saying to instantly throw out there "Hey I'm gay". But to allow the characters to develop where in the end, he finds himself attracted to another male. Could be for many reasons.

jajay119
13-04-12, 13:50
I'd like to see it, but nothing forced or anything. The odd sentimental line here or there. In this day and age I don't think having gay protagonists in games should be considered as pushing the envelope. But then, it's the same in any other medium too. There aren't many action movies where the hero is gay, either. At least none that I know of.

Developers are trying to get there though to give them their due, Mass Effect 3 being the prime example giving the main character the choice of being gay or straight. Assassin's Creed tackling Leonardo DaVinci's supposed homosexuality in a positive way, and Metal Gear Solid 3's subtle approach to Volgin and Raidenovich's affair. It's getting there.

But I don't want to see choices. I don't want to choose to make my character gay. Either he is or he isn't just like in real life. And people have to deal with that, just like in real life.

I don't understand people who are saying that they cannot connect to the fullest with gay characters either. I had no problem connecting with the characters of Snake, Eva and The Boss in Metal Gear Solid 3 (I name it again because I consider it to be the most emotive game I have ever played) regardless of the fact that they were man-woman couplings of characters, their stories were touching... that was all I needed.

larson n natla
13-04-12, 13:52
I'd like to see it done to be honest, with taste obviously. Maybe, for once, we can see a character who isn't so overtly flamboyant that you imagine they live in cotton candy houses and take showers in rainbows though.

I'm looking at Bernie from GTA IV. - :pi:

SirPlagueRat
13-04-12, 14:00
Yes, bring on the gays. As long as they're not walking stereotypes. :p
Oh, but we already have gays in gaming. Almost everyone in the Kingdom Hearts series. :ton:

Carbonek_0051
13-04-12, 14:05
Nobody in Kingdom Hearts is gay for ****s sake. :hea:

Lenochka
13-04-12, 14:07
Yes they are Nate. Everyone knows that when you compete for a girls affection on multiple occassions it clearly means you aren't interested in her...

Tear
13-04-12, 14:08
Some people's 'views' in this very thread are starting to disgust me.:rolleyes:

Carbonek_0051
13-04-12, 14:09
Yes they are Nate. Everyone knows that when you compete for a girls affection on multiple occassions it clearly means you aren't interested in her...
I know right? The entire plot of Sora & Riku fighting over and looking for Kairi in KH1 showed they cared about each other more than they did her. What a bunch of mo's.

moodydog
13-04-12, 14:19
Well the majority of Video game characters are A-sexual.

larafan25
13-04-12, 14:20
OH God. I hope Dante is gay. I will virtualify myself for him.

b0bb13
13-04-12, 14:26
J8zwSRUPHVo

Makoto slays all dem other faggety Annes. [/thread]

Legend of Lara
13-04-12, 14:29
J8zwSRUPHVo

oh god yes

Carbonek_0051
13-04-12, 14:36
J8zwSRUPHVo

Don't remind me, he was just offensive. xD

Tear
13-04-12, 14:48
@Makoto: :hea:

He's half the reason I refuse to replay that game.

jajay119
13-04-12, 14:50
I got like 5 seconds into that video and cringed too much to continue. I'm glad most developers who do include gay/bisexual characters in their games know that not all of us are raging queens.

Ora Dagger
13-04-12, 14:51
If there's no love interest, then you can "pretend" the character is gay. :mis:

:p

scoopy_loopy
13-04-12, 14:52
Sometimes even when there is. :mis:

NRO.
13-04-12, 15:01
I got like 5 seconds into that video and cringed too much to continue. I'm glad most developers who do include gay/bisexual characters in their games know that not all of us are raging queens.

But come on, you gotta love 'em. :P

Zebra
13-04-12, 15:01
There once was this article by a serious editor on a gaming site who thought Naughty Dog should turn Nathan Drake gay and use that as the explanation for him and Elena constantly breaking up. I think that would be interesting but we all know that it's never going to happen :p. It probably wouldn't feel quite right, either. Not after those three games we've already spent with straight Nate.

larafan25
13-04-12, 15:06
But what was so straight about "straight" Nate?

Aside from the part in UC3 where him and Sully hold hands (he dun want that). :pi:

Chocola teapot
13-04-12, 15:10
I would love it.

Basically agree with the most of 'dem points raised.

I'd like to see more great, boss like or anti-stereotyped gay characters.

Not necessarily the main, but one who has a significant part in the story.

Pietras
13-04-12, 15:12
*fingers crossed Dante is gay*

Weemanply109
13-04-12, 15:14
I want to wake up in a society where all the male video game characters are huge homo's and the protagonist ends up just making love with the enemy and not war.

RAINBOWS ALL ROUND, FOLKS! Spread the gay!

Seriously, though. I want a gay character, not optional. I don't see what's the problem, we are forced to watch straight sex scenes in media, maybe not extreme, but heterosexuality is always in our face.

Pietras
13-04-12, 15:16
And when you talked to Thane all you hears was "wife" in every other sentence, a constant reminder of what he is, right? Do you see your own double standards?

jajay119
13-04-12, 15:17
But come on, you gotta love 'em. :P

I do, but you gotta have some diversity goin' own :p

@Pietras, where have you been? I haven't seen you in an age!

Carbonek_0051
13-04-12, 15:17
Jesus, a lot of people want Dante to be gay. :vlol:

Pietras
13-04-12, 15:23
Jesus, a lot of people want Dante to be gay. :vlol:He's HAWT in new DmC trailers and that naked scene :mis:

@Pietras, where have you been? I haven't seen you in an age!Lost interest in TReboot due to zero news

Phlip
13-04-12, 15:56

Well YEAH! :cln: <3

robm_2007
13-04-12, 16:30
I would not care. If they had, let's say a Drag Queen character, then that's apart of their personality and I would not mind. Or if it was a "butch" Lesbian character, then I would not mind. I don't know, though; if their sexuality is "obvious," it might be distracting in certain cases and less in others. I think it would depend on the character, though.

But, when it comes to things like this, a character who is a stereotype would be bashed; and a character who acts "normal" might be bashed for being portrayed as "normal," in that gays are supposed to act like this.

MangelinaJolie
13-04-12, 18:47
And when you talked to Thane all you hears was "wife" in every other sentence, a constant reminder of what he is, right? Do you see your own double standards?

No, I don't. In fact, I don't recall Thane saying outright anything about his wife unless you actively talked to him. Steve dives straight into it. Big difference there, one that screams "warning: gay character" and basically outright clarifies that in the event that any homophobe doesn't want to talk to one.

Even Traynor makes it clear right from the start. Seriously? Where's your support for that?

ozzman
13-04-12, 18:54
need i say more
http://kongming.net/dw6/i/characters/zhanghe-800.jpg

Legend of Lara
13-04-12, 19:01
^ He looks even campier than Makoto.

ozzman
13-04-12, 19:06
historically , zhang he was a badass mo-fo , but koei thought otherwise
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100225204647/thethreekingdoms/images/f/f1/Zhang_He_-_SF.jpg

Legend of Lara
13-04-12, 19:08
I can think of 5000 words to say about that guy.

They're all "~fabulous~".

b0bb13
13-04-12, 19:08
Gracious heavens, such fabulousness. Makes me actually want to get into DW. ;_;

Tombraiderx08
13-04-12, 19:09
I haven't even played the previous DMC's, and I want him to be gay :3

Legend of Lara
13-04-12, 19:10
I haven't even played the previous DMC's, and I want him to be gay :3

You're missing out.

They're wonderful games.

Okay, I've played very little of DMC1.

And DMC2 apparently sucks, but I wouldn't know.

I've only played a demo of DMC4.

You're missing out.

DMC3 is a wonderful game.

ozzman
13-04-12, 19:11
Gracious heavens, such fabulousness. Makes me actually want to get into DW. ;_;

his quotes almost always revolve around the word "beauty"
but his dual claw movesets are amazing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNMpchc6vBQ&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qo9eSkaKIs

Carbonek_0051
13-04-12, 19:12
@LoL & James: All of them are good, but 2 & 4 are by far the weakest (although they do have some good to them).

Pietras
13-04-12, 19:16
No, I don't. In fact, I don't recall Thane saying outright anything about his wife unless you actively talked to him. Steve dives straight into it. Big difference there, one that screams "warning: gay character" and basically outright clarifies that in the event that any homophobe doesn't want to talk to one.

Even Traynor makes it clear right from the start. Seriously? Where's your support for that?Where's my support in the fact that it's shown as completely normal that he had a husband? Are you serious? And he doesn't immediately tell you "Hi I'm Steve, I had a husband". He tells you when you ask him about friends/family/close ones, like you ask any other character on the ship.

Vega keeps making comments on hawt chicks and how much they're hot all the time. Same Joker. Why can't Traynor make sexual comments/jokes?

MangelinaJolie
13-04-12, 19:21
Where's my support in the fact that it's shown as completely normal that he had a husband? Are you serious? And he doesn't immediately tell you "Hi I'm Steve, I had a husband". He tells you when you ask him about friends/family/close ones, like you ask any other character on the ship.

I meant your support for Traynor's blatant and wholly unnecessary expression of her sexuality as soon as you meet her. She's not grieving, she's hitting on EDI. This is my opinion, in any case. It's the tone I picked up on when I played the game. You learn about Steve in the first conversation with him, almost immediately after introducing yourselves. There is no where else for the dialogue to go.

Woosh. I'm not saying characters can't make comments about their sexuality. I'm saying they are making it to be their character as soon as you meet them.

I guess I have double standards though. Shame on me. :vlol:

benjamin_2010
13-04-12, 19:29
I wish there was more gay lead characters in video games! The first one that does it right will be a big success - like how TR was a big success in that it used a woman in the right way for the first time (ish).

I think it would be cool if there was an androgynous-y gay guy as the male lead in a popular game series who was a fair mix of traditional masculine and total fabulous. I guess I could replay MGS2 Raiden

Zebra
13-04-12, 19:49
I wish there was more gay lead characters in video games! The first one that does it right will be a big success - like how TR was a big success in that it used a woman in the right way for the first time (ish).

I guess it's debatable whether it did that "in the right way" :p. It certainly portrayed an independent woman who filled a role which had, until then, been reserved for male characters. So if you ignore the outfit and her enormous breasts, I guess you could say that. However, only then.

Dia2blo
13-04-12, 19:58
I've always hoped a main character would turn out to be gay in a game or even film. However the only problem is that in a lot of situations sexuality isn't really focused on or relevant. I think if people do a "gay" story it seems to have to be a massive deal with coming out and the lark. (Which is silly IMO).

I would love for there to be an action hero (ala Bond or Drake) who we find out is gay. (Perhaps due to relationships shown in the game with other important characters.)

Pietras
13-04-12, 20:03
I've always hoped a main character would turn out to be gay in a game or even film. However the only problem is that in a lot of situations sexuality isn't really focused on or relevant. I think if people do a "gay" story it seems to have to be a massive deal with coming out and the lark. (Which is silly IMO).

I would love for there to be an action hero (ala Bond or Drake) who we find out is gay. (Perhaps due to relationships shown in the game with other important characters.)

It doesn't have to be big deal at all. Just have this action hero sleep/flirt with men instead of women.

Dia2blo
13-04-12, 20:04
It doesn't have to be big deal at all. Just have this action hero sleep/flirt with men instead of women.

Yeah that's what I want, but my point is the world doesn't see it that way. There is never a character who is just "gay." There has to be a big show and dance about it. Unfortunately.

Pietras
13-04-12, 20:09
Yeah that's what I want, but my point is the world doesn't see it that way. There is never a character who is just "gay." There has to be a big show and dance about it. Unfortunately.
So from one hand they don't want to see gay characters but when it happens they want it to be big topic? Yeah I kinda see how it may seem this way.

Still, the only thing they need to do is have that gay action hero simply sleep/kiss/flirt with men/. That's it. Women did it this way. Sigourney Weaver, Linda Hamilton & Angelina Jolie weren't playing big "OMG I'm a woman action hero! But I'm a woman!" parts, their characters could have been 100% replaced with male characters (in case of Angelina's Salt, her character actually was originally male). That's the point. It changes perspective the most when it's shown as equal and as non-issue.

Dia2blo
13-04-12, 21:48
So from one hand they don't want to see gay characters but when it happens they want it to be big topic? Yeah I kinda see how it may seem this way.

Still, the only thing they need to do is have that gay action hero simply sleep/kiss/flirt with men/. That's it. Women did it this way. Sigourney Weaver, Linda Hamilton & Angelina Jolie weren't playing big "OMG I'm a woman action hero! But I'm a woman!" parts, their characters could have been 100% replaced with male characters (in case of Angelina's Salt, her character actually was originally male). That's the point. It changes perspective the most when it's shown as equal and as non-issue.

Yeah but no-one complains about lesbians on the big screen or in games. Fact.

Zebra
13-04-12, 22:18
There are people who complain. Just far less. I guess the main problem people have (subconsciously) got with gays is that men have traditionally been seen as the strong gender and no matter how much the lines between the genders have blurred these past decades, that kind of mindset is still present in most of us (as I've said: subconsciously). However, in a sexual relationship, there usually is a submissive part. This means during gay sex a man would have to give up his traditional "superiority" and that is what weirds most people out as they translate this sexual submissivenes to a social one (which is total nonsense, of course) and because men are still expected to be strong even today. Women taking on dominant roles have been far more prominent and accepted in recent times. A woman doesn't have to be weak and doesn't have to depend on men anymore in our modern, Western society. And then there is, of course, the type of man who gets off on two women making out with each other. Which is fine. I also know lots of straight women who find gay sex hot. The problem is the hypocrisy that often comes along with it.

Before people start complaining: This post is generalising a lot of things. Of course, there are still women who are being oppressed in our modern society and a large number of women still plays the "submissive" part of housewife and mother in a relationship (What I mean is that women aren't generally perceived as weak or submissive anymore.) and, of course, there is discrimination against lesbians.

Dia2blo
13-04-12, 22:22
There are people who complain. Just far less. I guess the main problem people have (subconsciously) got with gays is that men have traditionally been seen as the strong gender and no matter how much the lines between the genders have blurred these past decades, that kind of mindset is still present in most of us (as I've said: subconsciously). However, in a sexual relationship, there usually is a submissive part. This means during gay sex a man would have to give up his traditional "superiority" and that is what weirds most people out as they translate this sexual submissivenes to a social one (which is total nonsense, of course). Women taking on dominant roles have been far more prominent and accepted in recent times. A woman doesn't have to be weak and doesn't have to depend on men anymore in our modern, Western society. And then there is, of course, the type of man who gets off on two women making out with each other. Which is fine. I also know lots of straight women who find gay sex hot. The problem is the hypocrisy that often comes along with it.

Before people start complaingin: This post is generalising a lot of things. Of course, there are still women who are being oppressed in our modern society and a large number of women still plays the "submissive" part of housewife and mother in a relationship (What I mean is that women aren't generally perceived as weak or submissive anymore.) and, of course, there is discrimination against lesbians.

I totally agree with this (and I obviously know that people do complain about lesbians on screen etc.) but not to sound like i'm simplifying things a lot, but I think a lot of guys don't have a problem with seeing lesbians purely because they think it's hot.

Again, generalising and simplifying, but it's probably another part of the whole thing. :p It's sort of like the fact that we have a "page 3 girl" still but no men. It's just an odd thing that seems to have carried through from more narrow minded times. Over sexualising women is fine, but with men it's not so common. (Although is become more so.)

Zebra
13-04-12, 22:29
Yeah. I also don't really get it. When straight guys see another naked man, a lot of them will go "Ew, that's gross!" but most women aren't bothered as much by naked women being shown everywhere (or when they are bothered, it's usually because they don't like the fact women are being oversexualised so much and not because the nudity itself disgusts them). It's hard for me as a gay man to understand what's behind this. Maybe men who say that kind of thing are the same kind who make gay jokes because they're sexually insecure? That's the only explanation I could think of.

Dia2blo
13-04-12, 22:35
Yeah. I also don't really get it. When straight guys see another naked man, a lot of them will go "Ew, that's gross!" but most women aren't bothered as much by naked women being shown everywhere (or when they are bothered, it's usually because they don't like the fact women are being oversexualised so much and not because the nudity itself disgusts them). It's hard for me as a gay man to understand what's behind this. Maybe men who say that kind of thing are the same kind who make gay jokes because they're sexually insecure? That's the only explanation I could think of.

I think a lot of it aswell is a social stigma relating to the fact that for a long time women weren't allowed to show "anything". Not that they would, but in theory there have never been any limits on how men could dress, whereas it used to be taboo for a woman to have her dress higher than her ankles!

I think since we've become more accepting towards oversexualising women, we've sort of gone the other way, so that because it was such a turnover, people are used to it (if you know what i mean?) whereas because it was never an issue with men, it hasn't been focused on, but in more modern times (when people are openly gay and you can see naked or half naked men more commonly) it has more of a shock factor to other men which I guess will eventually wear off (as we become more used to it). I'm not sure if any of that makes sense but it's late and i'm tired. :p

Zebra
13-04-12, 22:43
No, that does make sense. I think it's really silly when women can show their breasts everywhere they want and no one bats an eyelid (at least not in Europe) but you see a fully naked man from behind in a music video and YouTube immediately establishes an age control page for it :p. Okay, YT is an American website but still. The age control thing was also there in Europe.

t-raider26
14-04-12, 06:13
It all depends on how it's executed. If a character just happens to be gay, then whatever. But if the fact that this character's gay is the focus of the game, it could be really annoying, really offensive, or just plain stupid.

oocladableeblah
14-04-12, 06:40
I wouldn't mind it. Only game that comes to mind with homosexuality is GTAIV's DLC The Ballad of Gay Tony. I haven't played it so idk how it is portrayed.

It would have to be done tastefully I agree and I think a non stereotyped gay person would be better. Though I don't really pay attention to sexuality unless there is a romance in the story.

Also what about non human character should they show sexuality, aliens and what not. I am thinking of Mass Effect I have never played the games so again idk how it is portrayed, but I believe there is controversy about interracial alien and human sexuality going on? Or am I just thinking of something else? Anyways, what if two aliens or something were gay or something, would that be acceptable less so than two humans?

Pietras
18-04-12, 15:50
http://static.product-reviews.net/wp-content/uploads/assassins-creed-3-wii-u.jpg

pleasebegaypleasebegaypleasebegay

yeah right, as if Ubisoft allowed main character of their flagship franchise be gay :(

scoopy_loopy
18-04-12, 15:55
^D'aww, don't be too hard on them. Leonardo was a fantastic gay character. :3

Pietras
18-04-12, 15:56
^D'aww, don't be too hard on them. Leonardo was a fantastic gay character. :3
It's always secondary characters, never the lead character :/ :'(

jajay119
18-04-12, 16:30
Considering the AC series is about exploring memories encoded into our genes passed on by out ancestors, then I think it would be very difficult to have a gay lead character in the AC series. Considering he would have to sleep with a woman to pass on his genes for Desmond to expore and that kind of doesn't work if one is gay :p

tomee
18-04-12, 16:32
Considering the AC series is about exploring memories encoded into our genes passed on by out ancestors, then I think it would be very difficult to have a gay lead character in the AC series. Considering he would have to sleep with a woman to pass on his genes for Desmond to expore and that kind of doesn't work if one is gay :p

Lol for a moment I did considered, what if he was gay. But then I read your post. :vlol:

Zelda master
18-04-12, 16:36
It's always secondary characters, never the lead character :/ :'(

Ignore the first two games and this guy might end up pure gay :p

http://pushstartselect.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/ME3-Large.jpg

robm_2007
18-04-12, 17:11

Just pretend that he was confused at first, and later discovered that he liked men :pi:

scoopy_loopy
18-04-12, 17:26
Canon is he was too busy to deal with his feelings. At least, if you romance Kaidan that is.

Pietras
18-04-12, 17:29
Considering the AC series is about exploring memories encoded into our genes passed on by out ancestors, then I think it would be very difficult to have a gay lead character in the AC series. Considering he would have to sleep with a woman to pass on his genes for Desmond to expore and that kind of doesn't work if one is gay :pHe can have a 1 night stand with a woman 'cause and problem solved :P or have a kid with lesbian friend :P

My shepard was always gay. But that's not the point. Who's getting advertised? Straight shepard. I want canon gay pratagonist

jajay119
18-04-12, 17:31
Why would he have a one night stand with a woman? I suppose if he were a teenager we could call it experimentation... or we could have a teen pregnancy scenario before Connor realises he likes the menz.

... I do realise were joking, by the way :p

robm_2007
18-04-12, 17:31
My shepard was always gay. But that's not the point. Who's getting advertised? Straight shepard. I want canon gay pratagonist

There's no canon on who he romances...

Pietras
18-04-12, 17:37
There's no canon on who he romances...
Point is, action-adventure games don't allow choice to customize your player character like RPGs do. Should I accept that only in RPGs I will have a chance to play gay characters?

robm_2007
18-04-12, 17:45
Point is, action-adventure games don't allow choice to customize your player character like RPGs do. Should I accept that only in RPGs I will have a chance to play gay characters?

Yes, if that's all there is for you to partake in. Otherwise, all you can do is write strongly-worded letters to your congressman about your concerns.

Most games, from what I have noticed, that allow for custom characters and dialogue options (in regards to romancing someone), are RPGs. Action-adventure games have already established characters that the player has no control over, in terms of their personality.

Not that I am against gay characters in games, but I do acknowledge that it would be bad for business. If they made a game that had a gay main character, then (some) players would assume that because the character is gay, then they will show all kinds of gay kissing/romantic scenes, even if there isn't, and they might not buy the game.

Gaming is making progress, though. Games are at least giving the player the option to play as gay/Lesbian, or even have side characters who are not straight.

Zebra
18-04-12, 21:11
http://static.product-reviews.net/wp-content/uploads/assassins-creed-3-wii-u.jpg

pleasebegaypleasebegaypleasebegay

yeah right, as if Ubisoft allowed main character of their flagship franchise be gay :(

The idea of homosexuality didn't even exist back then. Sure, there have always been men having sex with men but the idea of men or women who are exclusively homosexual is relatively new (I'm not trying to imply that homosexuality is a social construct but people back then would certainly not have identified themselves as gay).

Dia2blo
18-04-12, 21:14
Yes, if that's all there is for you to partake in. Otherwise, all you can do is write strongly-worded letters to your congressman about your concerns.

Most games, from what I have noticed, that allow for custom characters and dialogue options (in regards to romancing someone), are RPGs. Action-adventure games have already established characters that the player has no control over, in terms of their personality.

Not that I am against gay characters in games, but I do acknowledge that it would be bad for business. If they made a game that had a gay main character, then (some) players would assume that because the character is gay, then they will show all kinds of gay kissing/romantic scenes, even if there isn't, and they might not buy the game.

Gaming is making progress, though. Games are at least giving the player the option to play as gay/Lesbian, or even have side characters who are not straight.

This is the exact social stigma which could be cured by creating such characters; gay characters whose sexual preference isn't overly drawn attention to, but is just a part of who they are.

Yes, it is a risk to take at first, but look at things like the tv show Torchwood, sometimes having a gay (well bi in this case) character can not even be a big deal if the product itself is of such a quality that people enjoy for what it is. We simply want these types of characters to be more common (or at least present) in videogames.

There are a lot of people who are gay or bi but still have children, and a lot of historic figures too.

jackali
18-04-12, 21:15
The idea of homosexuality didn't even exist back then. Sure, there have always been men having sex with men but the idea of men or women who are exclusively homosexual is relatively new (I'm not trying to imply that homosexuality is a social construct but people back then would certainly not have identified themselves as gay).

I agree that they wouldn't identify themselves as gay. But there's no basis for you to say that men or women who are exclusively homosexual is a relatively new thing. There are plenty of historical precedents for it going back thousands of years.

Survival
29-04-12, 17:58
Curtis Craig from Phantasmagoria 2 is openly bisexual and his best friend trevor is openly gay portrayed in a non stereotypical way. Both exchange several intimate moments and have feelings for each other, though sex scenes in the game remained strictly heterosexual.

Zebra
29-04-12, 18:01
I agree that they wouldn't identify themselves as gay. But there's no basis for you to say that men or women who are exclusively homosexual is a relatively new thing. There are plenty of historical precedents for it going back thousands of years.

I said the idea of exclusively homosexual people is relatively new. As in the idea that someone is only attracted to the same sex and cannot be attracted to the opposite sex. Of course, someone who actually was homosexual back then (in the modern sense of the word) would have probably disagreed on that.

jackali
29-04-12, 18:22
And that's exactly what I'm disagreeing with. There are a number of people who are stated have been exclusively homosexual in time periods far older than the American Revolution, even as far back as the ancient world. Surely, then, it's not so much of a stretch for someone in in the 18th Century to have been exclusively homosexual? Not, of course, that I believe Ubisoft have any plans to make the PC of ACIII gay.

Zebra
29-04-12, 21:02
And again, you haven't read my post properly. Have a look at the last sentence.

jackali
30-04-12, 19:33
And again, I did read your post properly. By admitting that some people at the time would have disagreed with that you're nullifying your own point.
Of course, while we have no explicit confirmation for this, well known figures such as Plato are thought to have been exclusively homosexual. Unlike many men at the time who married and had children, while preferring male sexual partners, Plato never married and had no children. He also wrote about the love between two men being superior to the love between men and women. If that doesn't fall in with the modern idea of exclusive homosexuality I don't know what does. The tyrant Hipparchus was almost certainly homosexual in the modern sense.

In fact, mentioning Hipparchus, I think it's probably better if there aren't so many gay characters in games because they'll fall prey to shaping the course of the plot with their homosexuality being their motivation.

Zebra
30-04-12, 19:43
I don't think we can bring ancient Greek or Roman culture into this. Most of the cultural, philosophical and scientifical advancements made during that time had already been lost again by the time the Middle Ages came around. What we're talking about here is the Western society of the 18th century and the modern idea of homosexuality certainly didn't exist in it. Of course, homosexual people existed in it but it is difficult to tell what their view on their sexual preferences would have been and I guess it would have differed greatly from person to person. All I'm really saying is that making AC3's Connor gay wouldn't be a good idea because of the different attitudes towards homosexuality back then and now.

jackali
30-04-12, 19:47
Again, I'm going to have to disagree with you there. Of course, I don't know the state of things in America at that time, but certainly in England there had already a period of great interest in ancient Greece and Rome starting in the late 1600s. So I don't see what's wrong with bringing that time period into our discussion. :p

I do, however, agree vehemently that making AC3's PC gay wouldn't be a good idea. Not only because of the attitudes of the time towards homosexuality. It would also receive negative media attention and I doubt their writers would manage to stop his sexuality becoming a major plot point. Something best avoided.

tomee
30-04-12, 20:22
I do, however, agree vehemently that making AC3's PC gay wouldn't be a good idea. Not only because of the attitudes of the time towards homosexuality. It would also receive negative media attention and I doubt their writers would manage to stop his sexuality becoming a major plot point. Something best avoided.

There's nothing to think about it. It is impossible for Connor to be gay solely because he's an ancestor of Desmond, and he must sleep with a woman at some point to have child(ren).

Zebra
30-04-12, 20:25
There's nothing to think about it. It is impossible for Connor to be gay solely because he's an ancestor of Desmond, and he must sleep with a woman at some point to have child(ren).

I'm sure a lot of homosexual men at the time married and had children.

tomee
30-04-12, 20:30
I'm sure a lot of homosexual men at the time married and had children.

Maybe, but if that was the case with him, I don't think Ubi would take the effort to create a character like that and try to explain today's dumb gamers that he's gay but married a woman to have children. It's much easier to just make him straight.