PDA

View Full Version : Are Crystal Dynamics doing any other games?

Jami393
24-04-12, 18:54
I was just wondering if crystal are doing any other games or carrying on with any other of their series like Soul Reaver? Because the only thing I have seen them do is Tomb Raider related things.

Diablo_Rosso
24-04-12, 18:55
Two new IPs I think.

Mikky
24-04-12, 19:01
Two new IPs I think.

This. They're keeping it very hush-hush, though. Probably not to take away the very dim limelight from Tomb Raider.

Jami393
24-04-12, 19:02
Two new IPs I think.

What do you mean by IPs?

Love2Raid
24-04-12, 19:03
Right, two new IP's. One of them is rumoured to be a Soul Reaver reboot.

voltz
24-04-12, 19:06
Anything to get them off from TR for awhile. That franchise sucks the soul right out of anyone who it's chained to. (RIP CORE)

Larson_1988
24-04-12, 19:06
If they're rebooting Soul reaver i sincerely hope they've rehired Amy Hennig aswell. :pi: The Blood Omen 2 storyline wasn't that good. :pi:

interstellardave
24-04-12, 19:08
What do you mean by IPs?

Intellectual Properties.

Jami393
24-04-12, 19:11
Intellectual Properties.

Which means?

interstellardave
24-04-12, 19:13
Which means?

New games (not sequels of existing series).

Jami393
24-04-12, 19:16
New games (not sequels of existing series).

So like a reboot or something along those lines?

voltz
24-04-12, 19:19
If they're rebooting Soul reaver i sincerely hope they've rehired Amy Hennig aswell. :pi: The Blood Omen 2 storyline wasn't that good. :pi:

I don't exactly get the idea of why we should have to put up with reboots all the time. I want to see what happens with Kain after Defiance, not running ass-backwards because "oh our narrator died, lets do the story over". :rolleyes:

interstellardave
24-04-12, 19:20

Nope... a totally new franchise. The first of it's kind; like Tomb Raider was when the first game came out.

Mikky
24-04-12, 19:20

No, a completely new, original game series.

lara c. fan
24-04-12, 19:25

They can't, Hennig's Naughty Dog now. :p
Probably working on The Last of Us.

Larson_1988
24-04-12, 19:29
They can't, Hennig's Naughty Dog now. :p
Probably working on The Last of Us.

Well, in that case will The last of us get a darn good story! :)

xLara_Nathanx
24-04-12, 19:32
Well, in that case will The last of us get a darn good story! :)

Amy Hennig does not work for The Last of Us. Naughty Dog has 2 teams within the studio. She works in the Uncharted team. I believe Neil Druckmann writes TLOU's story.

peeves
24-04-12, 20:01
I couldn't care less about soul reaver.

Ceamonks890
24-04-12, 20:49
As of right now, we only know that Crystal are working on TReboot, 2 new IPs and a rumored Soul Reaver/Legacy of Kain reboot.

As much as I'd like a new LoK/SR game, it just wouldn't feel right without the original voice actors ex: Simon Templeman as Kain, Michael Bell as Raziel, Tony Jay as Elder God(which us LoK fans all know passed away back in 2006), etc. Because I just know they're going to replace the original voice actors with new ones, that won't do as good a performance like the originals:(

Agent 47
24-04-12, 21:26
Anything to get them off from TR for awhile. That franchise sucks the soul right out of anyone who it's chained to. (RIP CORE)

Would suck for them if they got pigeon-holed into just making Tomb Raider games. They need to do other stuff aswell as to keep the creative juices flowing.

Love2Raid
24-04-12, 21:37
Would suck for them if they got pigeon-holed into just making Tomb Raider games. They need to do other stuff aswell as to keep the creative juices flowing.
Very true. Every time I hear them say 'eating, breathing, etc. Tomb Raider' it just makes me feel uneasy. I mean come on, it would drive me mad. :o

Tony9595
24-04-12, 22:50
They're currently working in Gex 4 which will be a multiplatform single-player game. Right? They have to bring Gex back soon. ;____;

knightgames
24-04-12, 23:53
Right, two new IP's. One of them is rumoured to be a Soul Reaver reboot.

Reboot or continuation? The story of SR was probably the deepest one I've ever played in a video game. It NEEDS to be finished - with Tony Jay or without. IDC! (I know he's dead, but his voice could be copied with a good imitator)

Personally I think SR is 10X better than Tomb Raider - and that's saying a lot.

Gawd help them if they reboot it and abandon the currect story line. It wouldn't make sense for them to do that. Though I agree Blood Omen 2 was light in story. It filled in a few gaps, but nothing serious, IMO.

Stevo505
25-04-12, 00:00
I thought Karl confirmed that it was not Soul Reaver?

Love2Raid
25-04-12, 00:01
I'm quite sure the rumours were about a reboot. I don't think they could consider a continuation as a new IP, a reboot on the other hand is still not really a new IP but I wouldn't be very surprised if they considered it as one.
It's just a rumour though.

Edit:
He did?

Stevo505
25-04-12, 00:02
Edit:
He did?

I think so... I remember it being asked before in the podcast or in an interview or something, but I seem to remember him saying that the two games were completely new titles.

Love2Raid
25-04-12, 00:12
Alright then, thanks for telling. :-)
This pretty much kills the Soul Reaver reboot rumour. :p

Stevo505
25-04-12, 00:12
Alright then, thanks for telling. :-)
This pretty much kills the Soul Reaver reboot rumour. :p

Nah not really, I'm not a reliable source :vlol:

I wish I could find the place where I believe he said that.

Love2Raid
25-04-12, 00:48
Oh, it's not dead yet! :tea:

larafan25
25-04-12, 01:37
He did say something like that.

But then again we all thought Karl said "manual grab" and nope...

We thought he said "No multiplayer" but nope...

Maybe he lied to protect the innocence of secrecy (wut?)?

Spong
25-04-12, 01:42
I think it's debatable that they're even 'doing' Tomb Raider, let alone anything else.

[/Core it teh besztz :yah:]

:p

Jami393
25-04-12, 09:21
They're currently working in Gex 4 which will be a multiplatform single-player game. Right? They have to bring Gex back soon. ;____;

Are Crystal really working on a new Gex game? Because I haven't seen them games in years. Also wasn't he Crystal Dynamics mascot at one point.

Also to anyone who can answer this. Will Crystal be bringing back the Pandemonium games? I really enjoyed that series.

peeves
25-04-12, 14:11
Are Crystal really working on a new Gex game? Because I haven't seen them games in years. Also wasn't he Crystal Dynamics mascot at one point.

Also to anyone who can answer this. Will Crystal be bringing back the Pandemonium games? I really enjoyed that series.

I didn't know they were working on Gex 4.

Jami393
25-04-12, 16:48
I didn't know they were working on Gex 4.

They might not be, that is why I was asking.

Tony9595
25-04-12, 17:19
I don't think so. Which is a shame. :(

And yes, he once appeared at Crystal's logo. *sigh*

Jami393
25-04-12, 17:26
I don't think so. Which is a shame. :(

And yes, he once appeared at Crystal's logo. *sigh*

Yeah it is a shame that Gex not be coming back in a fourth game. Also why did Crystal stop using him in their logo?

Sir Croft
25-04-12, 17:30
I wouldn't mind a downloadable Gex title.

Jami393
25-04-12, 18:14
I wouldn't mind a downloadable Gex title.

Neither would I. Gex was another enjoyable series by Crystal.

Pietras
25-04-12, 19:12
They've been working on 2 new IPs since at least last year, 1 is likely a smaller XBLA/PSN title (like GOL), 1 probably an AAA title.

But there are also rumors on LOK reboot going on: http://www.vg247.com/2012/03/20/rumour-crystal-dynamics-working-on-soul-reaver-reboot/

Last year (in June), Karl said they weren't working on anything LOK. But it's been a long time since that so the project may indeed have been green-lighted and development started recently.

Would make sense. It's the last of Eidos' big franchises that hasn't been brought back. Deus Ex already has been, Thief, Tomb Raider and Hitman are currently being under advanced development.

Many gaming websites and people have been speculation that Cory Barlog (GOW2, Chains of Olympus, Ghost of Sparta) joined precisely to work on LOK reboot.

peeves
25-04-12, 19:28
Yeah it is a shame that Gex not be coming back in a fourth game. Also why did Crystal stop using him in their logo?

someone said that crystal is working on a gex reboot.