PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft to launch 30 second TV-style ads on XBL

TR FAN 18
26-04-12, 16:30
Microsoft is set to roll-out TV-style advertising for Xbox Live, with 15-30 second spots set to run within TV and video apps.
The deal also confirms new channels coming soon to US gamers, including anime-streaming from Manga Entertainment.
"With the growth of Xbox Live, advertisers no longer have to choose between digital and TV advertising - we're offering the impact of TV and the interactivity and addressability of digital in one platform," said Microsoft's Ross Honey, general manager of Xbox Live Entertainment and Advertising.
"As more and more industry leaders like ESPN work with us to help monetize their content on Xbox Live, TV media buyers win with the ability to extend their standard TV spots to this highly engaged consumer audience."
Microsoft has recently enjoyed a huge increase in advertising revenue from Live. The service has earned Microsoft 142 per cent more ad cash since 2010.
US Gold subscribers now spend an average of 84 hours a month signed in to Xbox Live, with entertainment app usage recently surpassing online multiplayer gaming for the first time.

Link with swearing removed.

:hea: , that is all!

EDIT: Here is another link for those that don't like swear words: Digital Spy (http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a378426/xbox-live-to-introduce-30-second-adverts-within-tv-and-video-apps.html).

Legend of Lara
26-04-12, 16:31
ha ha ha

Spong
26-04-12, 16:33
LOL, they published that story yesterday. The only reason I didn't bring the story here was because I'd have had to link it (like you have), and there's a hell of lot of swearing in the comments. People are unsurprisingly not happy.

TR FAN 18
26-04-12, 16:44
I don't use apps often on XBL. I really only use BBC iPlayer but if I do get ads when using that then I will be seriously TICKED OFF!
If that does indeed happen then I'll use it on the Wii instead.

interstellardave
26-04-12, 16:45
This will be coming to PSN VERY soon, you can bet. Sony is hemorrhaging money... despite consumers (me included) not liking it, it's a very viable revenue stream.

I ignore the ads anyway; nor do I use any of the apps. I'd advise people to just do the same.

TR FAN 18
26-04-12, 16:48
At least Nintendo hasn't done anything like this... yet. I hope they don't.
The last thing I want is to start an app and then that annoying opera git from the Go Compare ads to start singing.

Megalith
26-04-12, 17:03
This will be coming to PSN VERY soon, you can bet. Sony is hemorrhaging money... despite consumers (me included) not liking it, it's a very viable revenue stream.

I ignore the ads anyway; nor do I use any of the apps. I'd advise people to just do the same.

Last time i checked PSN was free (in contrast to xbox Live) even if Sony is "hemorrhaging money" and MS is doing so well.;)

Jester Head
26-04-12, 17:03
I don't get it. Isn't XBL a paid service?

Sir Croft
26-04-12, 17:07
I don't get it. Isn't XBL a paid service?
Well, so is cable TV, but they still have ads.

Spong
26-04-12, 17:15
I don't use apps often on XBL. I really only use BBC iPlayer but if I do get ads when using that then I will be seriously TICKED OFF!
If that does indeed happen then I'll use it on the Wii instead.

The iPlayer is one app that most certainly won't be effected by any intended adverts from MS. The BBC isn't legally allowed to support that sort of thing, and if MS tried to impose adverts on the iPlayer the BBC would no doubt withdraw the service completely. And rightly so.

From my point of view, I have no real reason to complain because I don't pay a Gold subscription (even though I did complain about it in the comments at EG :p), I can totally see why people dislike it though. But then again, millions of viewers in the UK happily cough up money for SKY TV and that service is riddled with commercials.

interstellardave
26-04-12, 17:26
Last time i checked PSN was free (in contrast to xbox Live) even if Sony is "hemorrhaging money" and MS is doing so well.;)

Yeah; that might change too. :p

moodydog
26-04-12, 17:35
I have an Xbox, but I don't have Xbox Live... so I don't really care for this TV ad thing. But having said that, if I did want to go live, M$ certainly are not tempting me into it.
I may just pick up a WiiU for NG gamimg, despite it's crappy name and unclear IP.

Megalith
26-04-12, 17:38
Yeah; that might change too. :p

Until it does (and if it does) though,it appears that MS is far greedier than Sony even if they are in a better economical state.;)

ajrich17901
26-04-12, 17:40
Until it does (and if it does) though,it appears that MS is far greedier than Sony even if they are in a better economical state.;)

:tmb:

Jester Head
26-04-12, 17:42
Well, so is cable TV, but they still have ads.

Really? I don't usually see those here.

interstellardave
26-04-12, 17:45

Not necessarily; this is a "spread the wealth" kind of thing. MS benefits, of course, but so do their partners. MS would probably say that these arrangements eventually broaden the scope of entertainment available to those who are on xbox live. They are probably right about that. That's if people care, though... and are willing to put up with the ads for it.

Don't get me wrong; personally I do NOT care for this. I don't want my 360 to be an "entertainment hub". I just want it to be a game console. I don't want my PS3 to be an "entertainment hub" either but they are going down the same road... that's why I assume they will do these same things eventually. Even Nintendo has made some ominous statements... but they are clearly not anywhere close to the other 2 in terms of how they view their hardware.

I try to ignore it all anyway, and just play my games. That way I only have to skip commercials on my DVR box!

MangelinaJolie
26-04-12, 18:39
If we really want to get all fanboy here I can just go ahead and say how crappy all of the services on PS3 are in general when compared.

You have to go through 30 seconds of loading on there anyway. :tmb: to that.

In all seriousness, Sony isn't pure of screwing over their customers (yes, paying customers). So please stop acting like they don't.

Sir Croft
26-04-12, 18:49
I'll be the better fanboy and say both suck. I don't have to put up with this ****. :D /PCElitist

Zelda master
26-04-12, 19:37
Honestly, this is worse then any **** Up: Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Atari and all other game companies have done wrong all put together :rolleyes:

Optional free, you can also choice to pay money and get some (pretty good) games for free more then once a year.

I may just pick up a WiiU for NG gamimg, despite it's crappy name and unclear IP.
Just quickly, Nintendo is having trouble getting a license on the name: Wii U, most like on the U part. So chances are the system might get a name change in a month :)

Carbonek_0051
26-04-12, 20:22

:tmb:

Oh look surprise, surprise. The Sony fanboys come out. But when a negative article about Sony is posted you guys bitch and defend them to the end. :D

If we really want to get all fanboy here I can just go ahead and say how crappy all of the services on PS3 are in general when compared.

You have to go through 30 seconds of loading on there anyway. :tmb: to that.

In all seriousness, Sony isn't pure of screwing over their customers (yes, paying customers). So please stop acting like they don't.
True facts, bro.

Megalith
26-04-12, 20:27
Optional free, you can also choice to pay money and get some (pretty good) games for free more then once a year.

PSN+ is a different thing than xbox live though.You don't need it to play games online.
In fact i think that as it is now,PSN+ isn't worthy its subscription fee.

SoupCard
26-04-12, 20:33
Not really a big deal to me, especially since I don't use any TV or video apps.

moodydog
27-04-12, 00:15
Just quickly, Nintendo is having trouble getting a license on the name: Wii U, most like on the U part. So chances are the system might get a name change in a month :)

more like its name is so grotesque it's practically inlicenseable :p

Optional free'er, you can chip your PS3 or Xbox and get free games whenever you want. just kidding