PDA

View Full Version : Hide your devs! EA's about to embark on a shopping-spree again!

Pietras
26-04-12, 23:14
http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/electronic-arts-definitely-planning-more-studio-acquistions/

Take your bets people. Which beloved development studio will be EA's next victim?

Gamd1011
26-04-12, 23:15
:hea:

Pietras
26-04-12, 23:16
:hea:
My thoughts exactly. Someone kill this company already :hea::hea::hea:

Sir Croft
26-04-12, 23:16
Oh, those poor, hopeful indies...

ajrich17901
26-04-12, 23:17
My thoughts exactly. Someone kill this company already :hea::hea::hea:

If only..

Pietras
26-04-12, 23:19
Oh, those poor, hopeful indies...
"Yes yes, nothing will change once you join us, we will just give you money and you will continue to operate as if you were still independent. We PROMISE! :)"

5 years later: "EA closes studio X"

:hea::hea::hea:

Carbonek_0051
26-04-12, 23:19
Cool, hopefully the pick up some companies that need an owner to fund their projects. :)

Gamd1011
26-04-12, 23:24
Cool, hopefully the pick up some companies that need an owner to fund their projects. :)
not sure if serious...

Carbonek_0051
26-04-12, 23:26
not sure if serious...
I'm serious. I'm not on the while "EA is evil" bandwagon.

Alpharaider47
26-04-12, 23:28
Hide your devs, hide your games
Cause they're buying errbody out there

Pietras
26-04-12, 23:29
Please google Origin Systems, Westwood Studios, Bullfrog Productions, Pandemic Studios k? Thx.

Gamd1011
26-04-12, 23:30
oh dear...

Carbonek_0051
26-04-12, 23:30
Please google Origin Systems, Westwood Studios, Bullfrog Productions, Pandemic Studios k? Thx.
I'm good. I still like EA. :cool:

Pandemic was asking for it.

Sir Croft
26-04-12, 23:31
Well... I think Westwood, Pandemic, etc, would disagree. Not to mention they tried a hostile takeover of Take Two Interactive not long ago, among other stuff (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Arts#Criticism).
It's not a bandwagoon.

Carbonek_0051
26-04-12, 23:35
Well... I think Westwood, Pandemic, etc, would disagree. Not to mention they tried a hostile takeover of Take Two Interactive not long ago, among other stuff (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Arts#Criticism).
None of those companies made that many amazing games anyway. Like I said, they asked for it. Especially Pandemic. :cool:
It's not a bandwagoon.
It really is.

Gamd1011
26-04-12, 23:37
It really is.
And so is yours...

Look there is no "bandwagon" it's just a difference of opinion.

Carbonek_0051
26-04-12, 23:39
And so is yours...
That made absolutely no sense seeing as I am the only person on earth to like EA. :p

Gamd1011
26-04-12, 23:40
That made absolutely no sense seeing as I am the only person on earth to like EA. :p
I meant the whole "that's too mainstream for me" thing...

Sir Croft
26-04-12, 23:41
They made games good enough for EA to feel the need to buy them. Crystal didn't make amazing games for years now, are they asking to be shut down? And that's not all, there's much more stuff in the link I posted, not only their hostile business strategy.

Carbonek_0051
26-04-12, 23:41
^Crystal's games have all sold well and been received positively by critics. So that's not exactly valid. TR fans opinions on their games don't count.
I meant the whole "that's too mainstream for me" thing...

:vlol: Not really, I just have never had issues with EA. I like most of their games, and I've never really seen them as a bad company. :p

And aren't you bitching about hostility in the TR section, but here you are jumping on my opinion for liking EA? Double standards much. It's okay, you probably didn't think before bitching, so I'll let it slide. :)

Alpharaider47
26-04-12, 23:43
None of those companies made that many amazing games anyway. Like I said, they asked for it. Especially Pandemic. :cool:

It really is.
Star Wars Battlefront, bro :pi:
Yeah some people say that about rape too, doesn't make it true.

moodydog
26-04-12, 23:44
To be honest, I don't really know what they are doing. I am not really up to terms with their business plan or how they operate, so it's hard for me to comment.

So they are acquiring independent companies like the ones you find on modDB (or more like indieDB), so do these companies agree to be bought out, or what? Then what happens?

Carbonek_0051
26-04-12, 23:46
Star Wars Battlefront, bro :pi:
The last good game they made. :p Everything after was poop.
Yeah people say that about rape too, doesn't make it true.
You're comparing rape to game companies closing down? A bit extreme, no?

Gamd1011
26-04-12, 23:48
^Crystal's games have all sold well and been received positively by critics. So that's not exactly valid. TR fans opinions on their games don't count.

:vlol: Not really, I just have never had issues with EA. I like most of their games, and I've never really seen them as a bad company. :p

And aren't you bitching about hostility in the TR section, but here you are jumping on my opinion for liking EA? Double standards much. It's okay, you probably didn't think before bitching, so I'll let it slide. :)
I'm not jumping, I was just correcting you on the bandwagon thing. :p
I was really hoping to avoid this, because I knew what you said would cause an argument, and I didn't want to be the one to start it. And if you look back at my post about you jumping on a bandwagon, I tryed to stop this from happening. :p

Sir Croft
26-04-12, 23:49
I don't think Underworld sold well, it clearly didnt meet their expectations. Do you remember the layoffs that happened just a few months after that? Do you think Crystal asked for it?
Westwood's games also sold well, as always. How did they ask for it, then?
It's pretty heartless that you're treating a big group of developers like they wanted to lose their jobs.

Carbonek_0051
26-04-12, 23:49
I'm not jumping, I was just correcting you on the bandwagon thing. :p
I was really hoping to avoid this, because I knew what you said would cause an argument, and I didn't want to be the one to start it. And if you look back at my post about you jumping on a bandwagon, I tryed to stop this from happening. :p

Don't correct me on anything, you can't correct an opinion. Again, you clearly aren't thinking straight, so again I will let it slide. :D

I don't think Underworld sold well, it clearly didnt meet their expectations. Do you remember the lay-off that happened just a few months after that? Do you think Crystal asked for it?
Westwood's games also sold well, as always. How did they ask for it, then?
It's pretty heartless that you're treating a big group of developers like they wanted to lose their jobs.
Underworld didn't meet their expectations, but it still sold well. The lay offs were due to more than losing money, Eidos was going bankrupt remember? I'm sure they couldn't afford to keep a lot of those people on. Different situation.

You're taking my opinion a way bit seriously. It's even been compared to rape now. Keep on hating guys, fact is EA is going to be around for a long time. Whether you like it or not, they can afford to be around and they do release good games for the most part.

Gamd1011
26-04-12, 23:53
Don't correct me on anything, you can't correct an opinion. Again, you clearly aren't thinking straight, so again I will let it slide. :D
I guess the bandwagon thing is a matter of opinion now that I think about it. Anyway have fun arguing with the lot in this thread. :p :wve:

Megalith
26-04-12, 23:55
No one is forcing development studios to be bought by EA.
If for whatever reasons devs accept to be bought by them then i'm sure they know from the start that acquisitions like these are always a double edged sword.

Sir Croft
26-04-12, 23:56
Underworld didn't meet their expectations, but it still sold well. The lay offs were due to more than losing money, Eidos was going bankrupt remember? I'm sure they couldn't afford to keep a lot of those people on. Different situation.

You're taking my opinion a way bit seriously. It's even been compared to rape now. Keep on hating guys, fact is EA is going to be around for a long time. Whether you like it or not, they can afford to be around and they do release good games for the most part.
Your opinion hasn't been compared to rape, it's been compared to the bad habit of blaming the victim.
It's not a matter of voicing my opinion, hoping that EA will stop. As you said, they can afford to do so, so they will still be around for a long while. It's just a tad disturbing that you support their business strategies.

Carbonek_0051
26-04-12, 23:58
Your opinion hasn't been compared to rape, it's been compared to the bad habit of blaming the victim.
It's not a matter of voicing my opinion, hoping that EA will stop. As you said, they can afford to do so, so they will still be around for a long while. It's just a tad disturbing that you support their business strategies.
Megalith put it better than I could:No one is forcing development studios to be bought by EA.
If for whatever reasons devs accept to be bought by them then i'm sure they know from the start that acquisitions like these are always a double edged sword.

Sir Croft
27-04-12, 00:02
Are we going to blame the devs again?
If EA offers a huge amount of money and an alleged warranty of stability, the vast majority of studios will give in, of course. They want to grow.
Are they to blame, though, that EA will fire everyone, shut down the studio and keep their promising IPs some years later?

Carbonek_0051
27-04-12, 00:03
If EA offers a huge amount of money and an alleged warranty of stability, the vast majority of studios will give in, of course. They want to grow.
Are they to blame, though, that EA will fire everyone, shut down the studio and keep their promising IPs some years later?
If EA is as bad as you and everyone say they are, then don't you think Developers would keep this in mind and stay away from EA? Developers know what they are getting into when it comes to being bought.

Megalith
27-04-12, 00:06

Well if they accept the "huge amount of money" and neglect to take heed of all the stories surrounding EA's studios then who's to blame?

They can always refuse and look for other publishers who may give less money but have better management.

And i'm not blaming either side,it's just the way things work.

voltz
27-04-12, 00:07
If EA is as bad as you and everyone say they are, then don't you think Developers would keep this in mind and stay away from EA? Developers know what they are getting into when it comes to being bought.

You're missing the point. Most developers would do well to keep themselves safe out of their hands knowing what their reputation leads to, but the people in charge of said development house couldn't give a **** when it comes to seeing dollar signs.

I'm pretty sure some members at Bioware were dragged along kicking and screaming they got assimilated.

I can also make a pretty clear case when it came to M$ buying Rare and some key people left when they got an idea of how things were going to be run from there on out.

Megalith
27-04-12, 00:12
You're missing the point. Most developers would do well to keep themselves safe out of their hands knowing what their reputation leads to, but the people in charge of said development house couldn't give a **** when it comes to seeing dollar signs.

Aren't the people in charge of the development studios part of the development teams?Don't they want the best for their investments (aka development studios)?

Carbonek_0051
27-04-12, 00:13
Well if they accept the "huge amount of money" and neglect to take heed of all the stories surrounding EA's studios then who's to blame?

They can always refuse and look for other publishers who may give less money but have better management.

:tmb:

Aren't the people in charge of the development studios part of the development teams?Don't they want the best for their investments (aka development studios)?
Tbh, I wouldn't bother anymore. EA is apparently really evil and the only people to blame.

Sir Croft
27-04-12, 00:13

You're simplifying things too much, some devs grab their first opportunity because they don't know when - if - they'll have another. It's already hard to make it in the industry, staying is even harder. Would you say "Oh no, I won't accept EA's offer, I think we can handle ourselves till the next publisher shows up."? The problem here isn't EA buying studios, is their habit of shuting them down not long after that, or firing a ridiculous amount of employees.

Carbonek_0051
27-04-12, 00:17
You're still ignoring the fact that they should know about EA's rep of doing said things, so they kind of either have to deal until the next Publisher comes along or take their chance with EA. So it's not EA who's all to blame here.

Sir Croft
27-04-12, 00:20
You're missing the point; EA's to blame for shutting them down, not buying them.

Uzi master
27-04-12, 00:20
When only certain people make the decision, or there's no other option than to take the offer they aren't to blame, EA is for being a terrible company. Even if it is the developers stupidity that doesn't make EA any less terrible for doing what they do.

Megalith
27-04-12, 00:28
You're simplifying things too much, some devs grab their first opportunity because they don't know when - if - they'll have another.
Things are simple really.
If EA is their first opportunity and they don't like them (although i'm sure most devs would jump from their excitement) then they should wait to find someone who is more to their liking.If they have huge debts and they are in need of a publisher like EA right away,then this means poor management from their side and they have to "pay" for it.
The truth however here is (regardless of whether we like it or not) that even if EA was among a list of publishers interested for a development studio,the majority of devs would have chosen them immediately,simply because of the name EA has and the sheer marketing power they could give to their games.It's a risk of course because if something doesn't end up too good the axe will fall more swiftly than from any other publisher.But as i said devs know this from the start and those who agree to be bought know the risks that come with such decision.

The problem here isn't EA buying studios, is their habit of shuting them down not long after that, or firing a ridiculous amount of employees.
Their policies are well known and i'm sure no one likes them but as i said they are not forcing anyone to be bought by them.

Sir Croft
27-04-12, 00:32
That doesn't make it good, or ethically correct.

Megalith
27-04-12, 00:33
That doesn't make it good, or ethically correct.

Unfortunatelly companies like EA have no ethics.Only profits.

Sir Croft
27-04-12, 00:34
Which makes them an evil company.

Megalith
27-04-12, 00:36

Among many others then.

Carbonek_0051

All companies want profits and have very little ethics. Over exaggeration on your part tbh.

MangelinaJolie
^Exactly what I was just trying to say. :o

I'd say some of the devs shared the "profit over ethics" ideology to begin with by the simple fact they agreed to be bought out, anyway.

Uzi master
27-04-12, 00:37
Among many others then.

They're still one of the worst, probably the worst when it comes to videogame companies.

Sir Croft
27-04-12, 00:38
All companies want profits and have very little ethics. Over exaggeration on your part tbh.
Overgeneralization on your part. Many companies have a decent amount of ethics, managing to balance that with their need for profit.

Carbonek_0051
27-04-12, 00:39
^Exactly what I was just trying to say. :o

I'd say some of the devs shared the "profit over ethics" ideology to begin with by the simple fact they agreed to be bought out, anyway.
Yup.
Overgeneralization on your part. Many companies have a decent amount of ethics, managing to balance that with their need for profit.
Nah, what I said pretty much was true. Very little companies have ethics these days, and even if they do profit ALWAYS comes first.

voltz
27-04-12, 00:39

Don't forget it's headed by this crazy overlord...

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/photos/uncategorized/2007/07/17/petermoore.jpg

Yeah some turnover you planned... eh Peter?

Sir Croft
27-04-12, 00:42
Of course profit always comes first, that's how companies survive. But you don't see all companies buying studios and shuting them shortly after that. Or treating both their employees and customers like ****.
Does Ubisoft buy studios like EA? Does Activision buy studios like EA? Does Valve buy studios like EA? Nope.

Shark_Blade
27-04-12, 00:43
EA rushed Alice Madness Returns.

I have no love for them.

Megalith
27-04-12, 00:44
They're still one of the worst, probably the worst when it comes to videogame companies.

Have you heard the stories of how Rockstar treated their San Diego studios?Unfortunately there are many examples of companies treating or managing their studios badly.

The heads of these companies would sell their own mothers for some extra profit.:p

interstellardave
27-04-12, 00:47
EA could definitely improve the WWE videogame franchise that THQ holds. I certainly wouldn't mind them buying THQ.

Carbonek_0051
27-04-12, 00:48
EA could definitely improve the WWE videogame franchise that THQ holds. I certainly wouldn't mind them buying THQ.

Same. But then again I don't care about THQ anymore since they decided that Red Faction wasn't a good enough series to continue (http://www.joystiq.com/2011/07/27/red-faction-franchise-wont-continue-in-any-meaningful-way/). :(

voltz
27-04-12, 00:53

Who was it that made WCW vs NWO? Yukes? Aki Corporation? They knew what they were doing (obviously you don't, heh heh)

interstellardave
27-04-12, 00:54
Same. But then again I don't care about THQ anymore since they decided that Red Faction wasn't a good enough series to continue (http://www.joystiq.com/2011/07/27/red-faction-franchise-wont-continue-in-any-meaningful-way/). :(

See... and if EA owned the rights they may have continued that series. Who knows, if they buy THQ they'd own the rights, and might bring it back.

People bash EA--and with good reasons, I must admit--but they don't see the faults in other publishers quite as easily; nor do they ever admit that EA publishes a lot of games, some very good, that may not get published otherwise.

Who was it that made WCW vs NWO? Yukes? Aki Corporation? They knew what they were doing, so call those guys.

Yukes is under THQ's umbrella... and they make the SD vrs Raw series, although the last game was called WWE12. They hit gold with SD vrs Raw 2006 and have ruined the series ever since, IMO. The series needs new direction.

Megalith
27-04-12, 00:57
All i want from them is Mirror's Edge 2.:D

voltz
27-04-12, 01:04
Yukes is under THQ's umbrella... and they make the SD vrs Raw series, although the last game was called WWE12. They hit gold with SD vrs Raw 2006 and have ruined the series ever since, IMO. The series needs new direction.

I realized Aki actually ended their relationship with THQ and rebranded as syn Sophia or Aki Corporation USA (for games published in the states). They're still a viable option.

All i want from them is Mirror's Edge 2.:D

Then go to the Mirror's Edge thread. :)

interstellardave
27-04-12, 01:10
I realized Aki actually ended their relationship with THQ and rebranded as syn Sophia or Aki Corporation USA (for games published in the states). They're still a viable option.

I went to their website and found EA mentioned all over it. EA is listed as a "major partner". I don't know if that speaks to them being officially under EA's umbrella or not, but maybe the WWE license could go to them if EA buys THQ out.

Megalith
27-04-12, 01:14
Then go to the Mirror's Edge thread. :)

No i prefer to go to bed.:D

Jami393
27-04-12, 06:06
Why does EA feel the need to take over other game developers?

sikasika18
27-04-12, 06:09
Oh good, hope they replace the sims studio.
The programmers there suck major ass IMO.

jackali
27-04-12, 09:29

So they're the ones making money from the games released.
It makes perfect sense from a business viewpoint. :confused:

While I'm annoyed at some of the closures that we've seen under the umbrella of EA's leadership, frankly many of the companies they've bought would have died sooner. It's not necessarily an entirely bad thing as many people here seem to think.

domino92
27-04-12, 21:40

I dunno, but someone needs to release a PSA to everyone that makes games just to inform them they're in danger, cuz we cannot let this happen. Something along the lines of:

"Hide yo devs
Hide yo studios
And hide yo publishers cuz they buyin errybody out here."

NRO.
28-04-12, 08:25
Oh no. :(