PDA

View Full Version : Some people are truly amazing

tlr online
27-04-05, 23:15
Did anyone watch the BBC documentary this evening 'Your Life in Their Hands' ?

"Documentary series about the work of top surgeons. Thirty year old Adrian Theobald has a large brain tumour. His only hope is a daring operation by pioneering brain surgeon Henry Marsh. During the operation Adrian will be woken up, talk to Henry and see inside his own brain. If the tumour is not removed Adrian will almost certainly die within 10 years - but the surgery could leave him devastatingly disabled."

Dr Henry Marsh provided an amazing commentary while he operated on Adrian, and recalled some of the most trying times of his surgical career, including a brain operation in which a young girl died.

The whole programme was so moving, and it makes you think that there are folk in this world whose sole purpose is to save the lives of complete strangers, and who - invariably - become intrinsically entwined with those they operate on. I suppose this can be applied to all professions that aid in the rescue and mending of sick folk. I'm glad there are people out there with the kind of disposition to invest every part of their being to help others. It's a trait I admire with every inch of my being.

DREWY
27-04-05, 23:39
And to think those same people, such as this doctor, get only a fraction of the payment that your average soccer or basketball player gets.
Methinks our priorities are out of line. Sad but true.

tlr online
27-04-05, 23:52
I don't suppose for folk like them money is a real issue or motivator, but I agree with your point about proportionate earnings. The NHL in U.S. is currently on strike because players don't want a collective bargaining agreement and salary cap of 5 MILLION DOLLARS per season.

Makes you think, doesn't it.

magic
28-04-05, 09:02
Last year I needed a major operation. I won't give any details but without it there was ticking bomb inside me that could have gone off at any time. I was under the knife for 8 hours and the dedication of the people involved was second to none. They were talking to me in the moring, started the Op at 1pm, finished and 9pm and were talking to me at 8am in the morning to see how I felt. And I'm sure they had lots of paper work to do inbetween.

I saw the Surgeon in the ward every day of the week (not always to see me) but he was always checking on someone. I was in hospital for 4 weeks in total.

One thing that struck me was the confidence the surgeon had. He explained what we was going to do as if it was routine and there was nothing to it. It may not have been anything to do with the brain but my life was still in his hands and he was happy about it. He said "you're lucky your here so that I can do this for you".

Its definately a life changing experience and these people deal with this every day.

And then people try to sue them if something goes slightly wrong.

They get my total respect and admiration.