PDA

View Full Version : International Day Against Homophobia (IDAH)

PSone
28-04-05, 10:29
This is a petition to establish an International Day Against Homophobia
(IDAH). The first IDAH is scheduled for May 17.
At the moment, there is a pathetic lack of signatures from Australia.

For more on why they want to establish an IDAH, click here:
http://idahomophobia.france.qrd.org/article.php3?id_article=10

To sign the petition, click here:
http://www.petitiononline.com/idaho/petition-sign.html

Thanks to all those that sign!!!! It is very much appreciated

Draco
28-04-05, 11:08
What a silly idea.

PSone
28-04-05, 11:09
What does everyone think of this?
I think it is a great idea, and if it was to go ahead, while it might incite violence from the few bad apples left in our society, it will in the long run be a great day of understanding and acceptance. I cannot believe there are only 6000 odd signatures though - surely the world is larger than that!

PSone
28-04-05, 11:19
Originally posted by Draco:
What a silly idea. Why so?

Draco
28-04-05, 11:25
It's unnecessary. It will do zero good in the long run. All it will do is give the 'few bad apples' a target to shoot at instead of just being generally harmless.

PSone
28-04-05, 11:30
So who's to say having ANZAC day (to commemorate the fallen ANZACS in Gallipoolli) isn't just inviting some 'bad apples' from Japan to cause a scene?
This is no different to any other rememberance or awareness day.

Draco
28-04-05, 11:46
Your analogy is not applicable.

andromeda_eats
28-04-05, 11:49
What do the Japanese have to do with the ANZACs in Turkey? Ima confused.

Tramp
28-04-05, 11:59
I'm with you Liv.

Did you fail history Grant. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/mischievous.gif

Evening All. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/wave.gif

irjudd
28-04-05, 14:20
bah

RavenLettan
28-04-05, 23:25
While, it is nice to say 'Oh let's qualsh every homophobic person to save the homosexual society.'

Reality of the situation is in order to achieve that you'll end up doing the exact thing that you'd potencially be protesting against.

I'm homophobic.. Not afraid to say I am, because I do have a REAL IRRATIONAL FEAR of someone who is homosexual. Is this to say that I'll sit there and try to burn them on a cross or other fanatical behaviour?

NO... you know why? BECAUSE I AM AFRAID OF THEM.
That is what a phobia means. Whenever I am near someone who I know isn't straight I feel royally uncomfortable to the point where I have to be somewhere, anywhere but close to them.

Is it thier fault? No. Is it their problem? No.
Do I want people trying to get me to confront my fears, or try to understand the way I am? NO.

for most of these homophobics, they're afraid of being turned gay or something... like it's like the damn T-Virus, one bite is all it takes or some ****.

That isn't what all people who are homophobic are. Just like not all gay people are camp. Not all black people are violent with donkey dongs. And not all Ginger Haired people are irish ****s.

I'm getting sick and tired of all of these damn 'awareness' days and programs. 50,000 people die of heart attack so lets have a day to be aware of them having these colonary infusions!

That isn't going to stop anyone who eats MacDonalds every day from dying from a heart attack. It just gives everyone a reason to march up and down the bloody street stopping traffic and faining that they actually give a **** when really they're doing it simply because everyone else is.

Oh look everyone has cancer lets have a day where we don't ACTUALLY give sodding money to cure it, we just run around in a circle and make everyone else give money to us so we can look like we're doing our part.

Sorry, but I'm a little bitter of being persecuted by people who claim to be more damn righteous than Jesus ... but rather than understanding that everyone might have thier reasons for thier stances on things just assumming everyone who doesn't share thier view to the letter is a biggot.

Yeah, well I raise a glass to each and everyone of those dumbass hypocrits.

Olvidarse
29-04-05, 01:09
Yes, it is a phobia, not a club. I'm not sure people want to have a day that shuns away people with specific phobias.

Yours_in_darkness
29-04-05, 02:48
We have something like that at our school, except people wear white t-shirts and don't speak to protest homophobia. The point is for you to listen to the voices you don't hear. It doesn't make any sense to me, really, but a lot of students do it.

Homosexuals deserve every right that everyone else does - that's an undisputable fact. I am not a homosexual, but gay rights are an important issue to me because my closest friend in the world is gay, and it's just awful seeing him get put down and treated like **** because of it. He's a wonderful, sweet, loving person and people treat him like dirt just because he likes a guy and not a girl. Who you like does not change who you are. It does not make you evil. Just because a man is gay doesn't mean he prowls the streets looking for other men to steal away and do horrible things to. Just because a woman is gay doesn't mean she's always checking out every single female on the street. If you're near a gay person of the same gender it doesn't mean that they're sizing you up and having fantasies about you in their heads. They're just human beings, like the rest of us, not some sort of perverted freaks. Condoning someone just because of their sexuality is every bit as corrupt and sinful as condoning someone because of their skin color, gender, ethnicity, or anything else about them.

There's a church in my hometown that is extremely radical. My family doesn't attend church there, and I don't attend church at all, but that church found out about a homosexual boy from my school. He doesn't attend church there, but did go there once for an area youth meeting - while he was there several people from the church brought him to the basement and locked him in there, and screamed at him through the door for four hours about how he is going to hell unless he changes his 'evil homosexual ways' and becomes straight. NO HUMAN BEING SHOULD EVER BE TREATED LIKE THAT. IT IS INCONTESTABLY CRUEL AND UNJUST. Just think of what it would be like to have that happen to you.

I'm off to sign the petition, and I'm damn proud of it.

[ 29. April 2005, 03:51: Message edited by: Yours_in_darkness ]

croft28
29-04-05, 06:11
Originally posted by Raven_:

I'm homophobic.. Not afraid to say I am, because I do have a REAL IRRATIONAL FEAR of someone who is homosexual. Is this to say that I'll sit there and try to burn them on a cross or other fanatical behaviour?

NO... you know why? BECAUSE I AM AFRAID OF THEM.
That is what a phobia means. Whenever I am near someone who I know isn't straight I feel royally uncomfortable to the point where I have to be somewhere, anywhere but close to them.

LOL! and what exactly is it that you are afraid of?..........do you think a gay man would jump you if he was next to you?...........or is it the other way around ;)

PSone
02-05-05, 08:48
Originally posted by Tramp:
I'm with you Liv.

Did you fail history Grant. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/mischievous.gif

Evening All. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/wave.gif I'm also confused... LOL.
I failed school ... guess that includes history :(

_Raven - This isn't about protesting against a phobia because people are scared of sexuality, this is about stopping things like that which Yours_in_darkness describes below.
It's about equality and acceptance. I'm not about to come over and pay you a visit and chase you screaming down the street. - I respect that you admit your 'phobia' - maybe phobia is the wrong term, eg. arachnaphobia (sp?) - just because someone is scared of spiders, this doesn't turn them into vicious, violent people who decide that they will go out of their way to make a spiders life an absolute hell.
If I was scared of spiders, I wouldn't be inclined to flush them all out and kill them, I would just avoid them.

I hope I'm making sense - the same thing applies here, the homophobia this refers to isn't a phobia I suppose, it is more about hate-crimes and awareness. - I personally would prefer not to be called nasty derogatory names and be chased down the Gold Coast mall with a bunch of friends by a bunch of lunatics with baseball bats, knives, machetes and all sorts of lethal weapons )yes - this happened to me)

I was the victim of a verbal attack in my workplace on Friday, the idiot who decided he would start making derogatory comments about me to our receptionist won't be showing up for work on Monday I am glad to say, but the things these 'homophobes' come out with, while only words, still cut through you like a knife.

Tramp
02-05-05, 23:13
What Liv was confused about is that the Japanese were not involved in the 1st WW. It was the Turks and the Germans (Galipoli and France). The Japanese were in the 2nd WW. And yes the Anzac Day March involves all wars but the term ANZAC is from the 1st WW and Galipoli.

I was agreeing with Liv neither of us could understand what the Japanese had to do with WW1. I would have thought all Aussies knew who was involved in WW1. I wasn't suggesting you failed all of school but that you didn't pass History. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/wave.gif

I do agree with you though that people with Aracnaphobia do not go out of their way to harrass spiders, we usually run 100mph the other way. But usually people with homophobia do attack the object of their phobia either verbally or physically.

[ 03. May 2005, 00:16: Message edited by: Tramp ]

RavenLettan
03-05-05, 01:44
Originally posted by PSone:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Tramp:
I'm with you Liv.

Evening All. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/wave.gif I'm also confused... LOL.
I failed school ... guess that includes history :(

_Raven - This isn't about protesting against a phobia because people are scared of sexuality, this is about stopping things like that which Yours_in_darkness describes below.
It's about equality and acceptance. I'm not about to come over and pay you a visit and chase you screaming down the street. - I respect that you admit your 'phobia' - maybe phobia is the wrong term, eg. arachnaphobia (sp?) - just because someone is scared of spiders, this doesn't turn them into vicious, violent people who decide that they will go out of their way to make a spiders life an absolute hell.
If I was scared of spiders, I wouldn't be inclined to flush them all out and kill them, I would just avoid them.

I hope I'm making sense - the same thing applies here, the homophobia this refers to isn't a phobia I suppose, it is more about hate-crimes and awareness. - I personally would prefer not to be called nasty derogatory names and be chased down the Gold Coast mall with a bunch of friends by a bunch of lunatics with baseball bats, knives, machetes and all sorts of lethal weapons )yes - this happened to me)

I was the victim of a verbal attack in my workplace on Friday, the idiot who decided he would start making derogatory comments about me to our receptionist won't be showing up for work on Monday I am glad to say, but the things these 'homophobes' come out with, while only words, still cut through you like a knife. </font>[/QUOTE]Homophobia comes in several forms... the irrational behaviour of it is determined by the invidiual and stance.

It's like Diabeties. There is Type-A where you have too much suger and not enough insulin, and there is Type-B where the roles are reversed.

Just because 90% of Homophobes fall in to Cat-A doesn't mean that you should start up BS against everyone because you don't like it. All your doing is driving people to hate more.

That is 100% counter-productive, and all it'll do is hurt people.

People CAN NO LONGER be persecuted for thier believes, or lifestyle, unless it doesn't conform to the current laws of the land.

Homosexuality is not illegal, despite the actual acts under a certain age being so. As such someones right to be homosexual is protected by the UN Human Rights Act 1975.

Under this act people are allowed basically what I said above... and cannot be persecuted for not conforming to what is socially considered normal.

For example if someone wants to be gothic, provided they do not harm, or kill others then they can do as they choose. If they are being harassed for this to the point of being Unlawfully Withheld, by people who are not thier Parent or Legal Gaurdians.. THIS IS A CASE FOR THE LAW!

Call the police and tell them what is happening. It it's thier responsibility to deal with Adult Rights.

If a parent or guardian is the one doing the unlawful things, depending on what it is, call Social Services... it is THIER job to sort out Children's Rights.

You can't sit back and then protest about this BS happening. Actually damn well do something if you don't like it. REPORT IT.

Rather than subjecting the world to another form of social hate and ousting, which is a step backwards, actually get up off your arse and do something about the human rights being broken each day.

Report it, or become a police officer, or social service officer, so that you might be able to speed up the system that puts these people who deserver to be punished where they belong.

Stop standing around *****ing meaninglessly.. people are happy to protest but god forbid they actually have to do anything but provide some spare change to a cause.

PSone
04-05-05, 08:19
This isn't a charity...

As stated above, I was the victim of abuse directed at my sexuality and I did something about it.
I do not understand why you are getting so upset Raven_...

Gomes
04-05-05, 15:52
I'm sorry to hear about your abuse PSone.

Raven, I just wanted to comment that the way you feel about having homossexuals near you, it's how I feel sometimes, as a woman, with men. Because I know their thoughts will include sexual desire, and most of the time I just want to be equal, to be a friend. It can get very uncomfortable.

RavenLettan
04-05-05, 16:38
This isn't a charity...

As stated above, I was the victim of abuse directed at my sexuality and I did something about it.
I do not understand why you are getting so upset Raven_... Perhaps because when people do stuff like this they never stop to consider they might alienate and hurt people who don't deserve it through thier actions.

You can have a day for Cancer. This is something that affects everyone, and everyone needs to know that if they detect it early enough it can be cured. So they need to check.

Homophobia is NOT a Cancer. No matter how much you wish to god there was some miricle cure that would make these people stop harassing you. Fact is they're probably set in thier ways and would need years of intensive therapy that they must be atleast willing to listen to, in order to get acceptable behaviour ... maybe tolerance but mostly just acceptable behaviour.

All actions like this do is add one more barrier in life for people to hit because they don't reach what society deems socially acceptable.

We all have our own moral standards. Today's society boats to be more enlightened, and to be more accepting of everyone. Then you see something like this...

You not trying to understand why people are Homophobic. You don't care about peoples reasons, you've been hurt and as such you just want to lash out at everyone as a whole.

The last few girlfriends I've had, went on holiday to Nigeria and come back having cheated on me... What does that give me some reason to hate every african decendant I see?

No. Because everyone is different, why the hell should an entire group of people be persecuted for the actions of 2 or 3 of them?

Just because your Homophobic, doesn't make you evil. It doesn't make you someone who is going to go around torturing little gay boys in the back room of a church.

People who do ARE BREAKING THE LAW. I am not the police, I don't care what is going on with you or anyone else... but talk to my brother.

I'm sure he will take a statement down and relay it on to your local police force to catch the purpetrators. Those who break the Law should be punished... not a group of individuals with issues.

Draco
04-05-05, 20:37
Heh, well this got interesting.

The problem I have with this is what is the point?

Isn't it better to be normal (ie, the goal right), and not one of the purple leather...freaks that give gay people a bad rap?

The problem isnt that people hate gay people, its that people hate things alien to them, and guys in latex are just wacko.

I tolerate gay people just fine, but idiots...what is the point?

The Ranting Griphon said it best: http://www.ranting-gryphon.com/Rants/2rant-gay_pride.mp3

EDIT: Oh and that link has ebil words that everyone knows already.

[ 04. May 2005, 21:38: Message edited by: Draco ]

PSone
08-05-05, 08:39
Not in the mood.

Whatever.

Draco
08-05-05, 17:48
Umm...okay?

adventuregirl
09-05-05, 02:27
I signed. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

And I admit that being a lesbian is a natural part of me like my ears, toes and hair. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/wave.gif I donīt see IDAH as a threat to anyone, it is merely a step towards helping people to understand and see that us, queer, are just like everybody else in the world. The only thing we part from heterosexuals IS our sexuality. So if there are homophobic people out there, there are at least as many glbt-people who are afraid of homophobic peopleīs actions. But wait a minute! What are we all so afraid of? Straight people have sex, gay people have sex.. But as individuals we all have different habits. Many gay people think sex doesnīt play that much of an important role in their lives. Itīs a part of a close and healthy relationship, not something to shout about. I personally am quite shy about my personal life and I prefer to keep the details to myself.

What about heterosexual people? Are they running around telling everybody about their sex-life? Some of them do, quite openly indeed! But certainly not everyone. Itīs the same thing with gay people from whom some of them are more open than me but usually all the personal information gay or straight people probably would like to share with some other people is discussed among close friends only. Itīs because weīre individuals we have different habits, gay or straight.

But the reason why IDAH is a good thing is that queer folk and their straight supporters want to remind everybody that weīre all human and we are the same: Thereīs nothing to be afraid of. Its meaning is to neutralize the whole thing, not to wage war against dissidents and those who are afraid of us. Itīs about finally trying to balance the situation and lessen the tension between extremities so that one day everybody (how idealistic of me.. ;) ) could just think of everybody as human beings and not to figure us as some kind of a terrifying and distant threat that everybody prefer to wipe out to the darkest back of their minds.

The fact is, your sister could be gay, your father could be gay, your cousin or your daughter or son could be gay. Theyīre family and theyīre the people who are close and dear to us. Does him/her being gay change that? No. Because nothing has changed. Gay people are not girls or boys at a certain point collectivly turn different. They are the same they have always been. They are the people you are grown to love, they are people you know.

If someone is afraid of me because of my sexuality, itīs a shame because thatīs not the part I intentionally show to my friends or anyone. Normally all my other parts come before that. Itīs the part I only show to the one who claims to be my true love. And why I canīt turn into heterosexual? Itīs because I didnīt turn into gay either, itīs nothing more or less than the same old me Iīve always been. If you donīt feel romantic feelings or sexual attraction to your own sex, you can imagine how it is the same vice versa. I feel VERY uneasy and bad if a man tries to touch me sexually. Now do you think I donīt know what it feels like if someone you donīt want to came near you in a sexual way does it even if you tell him/her not to? So forget about homosexual people trying to rape you. Usually they are very sensitive and sensible about this kind of things and donīt want to cause those nasty pressing feelings they have been through to anyone.

Homosexuality isnīt contagious, nore is heterosexuality. If you are afraid of homosexuality being contagious, it is possible that you have some gay characteristics in yourself that you donīt want to accept. It doesnīt come from anyone, itīs in you already if it is.

If someone is homophobic like me being arachnophopic (gosh, do we grow black hair and xtra legs?), I donīt know if it can be helped so easily. Iīm also afraid to go to the dentist and I think Iīll always be shy to go there. There are many kinds of phobias in the world. Some are afraid of dark places and some people never use elevators, birds are a threat to the nerves of those who are afraid of them.. I guess it wonīt help if you go chasing after them with ducklings telling how cute and friendly they are.

Prejudices are the main problem. Everybody has them about something.. But wouldnīt it be nice to everybody if there would be one thing less? Especially when it comes to normal people who only want to live a decent and normal, happy life and to have the same rights, dreams and responsibilities as everybody else in the world.

With love, Adventuregirl. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/hug.gif

RavenLettan
09-05-05, 05:41
If you donīt feel romantic feelings or sexual attraction to your own sex, you can imagine how it is the same vice versa. I feel VERY uneasy and bad if a man tries to touch me sexually. Now do you think I donīt know what it feels like if someone you donīt want to came near you in a sexual way does it even if you tell him/her not to?Exactly. That right there, is what is classed as Homophobia when it a Hetrosexual directed at a Homosexual.

It doesn't matter if that person has intentions of stopping how they act or not, or even if it was ment intentionally. The fact remains that it is an in irrational fear and unease for no reason.

Those people who go out beating, locking up, and generally doing criminal acts towards homosexuals are doing it because that is the only way they know how to react to something they can't understand.

Jesus, more people get beaten up each year through supporting different Football teams. What we need a parade in town to all make us away that Football Hooliganism is BAD?

Do you think it will STOP the hooligans? Do you think it is right to say that EVERY football supporter is a bad person because they could 'potencially' be a hooligan?

All things like this do is breed hatred. Unlike Homophobics, who's actions are irrational from some deep seeded issues... those people doing things like this are doing it fully understanding the ramifications of thier actions.

If one of my mates hits me while he's drunk, because of some loose comment he misheard. I can forgive him.

If on the other hand he is waiting outside of my house, stone-cold sober and beats the ever living snot out of me.. that I could never forgive.

It is the same thing here. Those 'Gay rights activists' who claim thier doing the right thing through actions like this don't care about the facts. All they care about is being shown as achieveing something that can be seen by the worlds media.

Who give a flying monkies if 100,000 people trapse down the middle of Sydney saying we all need to be more aware of Homophobes. It isn't going to change anything, all it'll do is force people to try and be more sensitive about it. This will mean that people who are homophobic through no fault of thier own will be shunned and seen as some evil person who goes around whipping gay in his spare time...

yet those who are really out there doing CRIMINAL acts, they won't care. Most of them tend to hang out with like minded people, who generally don't care about fitting in with society, they seem to feel that society should fit around THIER world views.

So what? People like me, will have one more damn issue to feel awkward and senstitive about.. just so that we aren't shunned by work colleges?

I swear, all of this is like talking to a brick wall. People claim that they're senstive, trying to make the world a better, fairer place, that is more accepting of everyone.

If this is true, how come everyone has to change so that minorities feel better about themselves?

'Oh it's so hard being gay, because people don't like me for what I am'.. what like being gay is like Lepracy or something?

People treat you like your terminally ill because there are retards out in this world trying to advertise the fact thier gay.

You know when a guy comes on to me.. I don't say 'Oh I'm Hetrosexual, sorry.' - I just say 'Your not really my type.' you know why?
Because GUYS aren't my type, but I don't feel it is any of his business that I'm straight or bent.

If you want to do something for being homosexual, how about sodding giving back the words that have been taken.

Queer - Out of the Ordinary
Gay - Happy Go Lucky / Totally Enjoyable
Faggot - Southern England Beef Dish, it is a bloody tastey food which quite frankly I'd like to sit down to eat like when I was a kid, without thinking about homosexuals.

No no-one gives a flying hoot about what comes before them though, or what they damage in order to get thier way.

It's ridiculous, your allowed to call someone Gay, but calling them Homo is offensive. Why? calling someone Hetro isn't? What the hell is so offensive about the word Homo?

:: sighs ::

I don't know why I bother. I'm not going to be listened to anyways. People will read what they want to then simply disagree.. no doubt labeling me with some tag that makes me sound like some big evil guy that should be avoided because my views don't coincide with those written down on the Stone of Equality.

Equality is BS, and so is this whole 'accepting' culture. No one is accepting anything, your just hiding everything behind a bearaucratic faecard hoping that everything will just work out on it's own provided you protest and shout catchy slogans enough.

Society makes me sick, and ashamed to think that we actually believe we're the pinnicle of Human Society.

PSone
09-05-05, 10:09
It's ridiculous, your allowed to call someone Gay, but calling them Homo is offensive. Why? calling someone Hetro isn't? What the hell is so offensive about the word Homo? The words 'homo' and 'faggot' are only words, but they are said in a derogatory fashion towards homosexuals. It's the same as if I was to call your Mum a dirty slu* based on some sort of belief I (hypothetically) have that anybody who has sex is a dirty wh0re. It might be true, but it's nasty and derogatory.

This isn't about flaunting sexuality or throwing it in peoples faces in some parade (that's what Sydney Gay & Lesbian Mardi Gra is for)

Bravo advis / adventuregirl http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/hug.gif

RavenLettan
09-05-05, 11:30
yes... but the word s*** is a derogatory word created specifically to denote someone who sleeps around.

w**** again is similar, but there is a world of difference as they get paid and aren't doing it out of enjoyment.

both words were originally slang in order to show your disgust for what someone is doing.

Homo and Faggot are REAL words that are twisted.

Faggot is a very nice beef meat dish served here in England that has been served for centuries. Using it as a derogatory term has only been around a few decades.

This isn't about flaunting sexuality or throwing it in peoples faces in some parade (that's what Sydney Gay & Lesbian Mardi Gra is for)No, it's about providing people with another thing to persecute innocent people with.. while those who are guilty of the CRIMINAL acts you keep speaking of are not only few, but also won't give a flying fajita what the heck your marching down maine street for this time.

All they'll see is 'another damn faggot parade'
I'm seriously begining to believe that this is just some excuse to get another holiday for yourself being gay or something.

Especially as each time you are COMPLETELY blanking the fact that in all of my posts I keep saying that the actions your 'claiming' to want to put a stop to are actually C-R-I-M-I-N-A-L... as in AGAINST THE LAWS OF THE LAND.

:: sighs :: but there really is no getting through.

your gay, you want everyone else to accept you for who you are.. and when even a small handful of people aren't going to in a criminal fashion rather than making sure they're brought to justice you want to prance down a street screaming for everyone to know about gays.. thusly this will solve the problem.

Yeah.. right. So what will you do for your next protest? Go to China and walk around Beijing saying that Communism doesn't work? :D

[ 09. May 2005, 12:31: Message edited by: Raven_ ]

Draco
09-05-05, 15:16
I want my rainbow back.

PSone
10-05-05, 11:35
You just don't get it _Raven.
Please continue to live in your little bubble. Try not to step on anything sharpnow won't you ;)

*PSone hands Draco his Rainbow back]

[ 10. May 2005, 12:43: Message edited by: PSone ]

RavenLettan
10-05-05, 15:32
You just don't get it _Raven.
Please continue to live in your little bubble. Try not to step on anything sharpnow won't you ;)

*PSone hands Draco his Rainbow back] ffs... you are either so damn stupid, ignorant, or idk. I really don't.

you can't even accept my point of view, or even want to accept that there is a possibility that my reservations about what your trying to do.

each time, you've just closed off saying that I don't get your point. we're now on the the fact that you don't even believe I'm living in reality.

Why because in your reality.. a protest stops someone from beating someone else? Because in my reality I've found stepping in myself to defend someone and/or calling the Police tends to be a tad more effective.

'Oh I just stood back and watched as my friend was being abused inside a church through a door.'

the simple question isn't 'why were they doing this'.. the question is 'why were you not doing something to stop them?'

that's the problem with this damn world. no ones willing to take responsibility for thier own damn actions. no lets use media to get noticed enough and hope someone else has more balls than me to jump in the fray and actually do something.

the world won't change itself, neither will people. you can't control others, only yourself.

Draco
10-05-05, 15:38
There are two types of people in the world, the ones who do the work, and the ones who get the credit.

All this will do is provide yet another reason to dislike the 'gay agenda'.

Stay out of my life and off my calendar, thanks.

irjudd
10-05-05, 20:06
Yeah well in general I like to watch cartoons.

Thorn
10-05-05, 20:26
A day against homophobia... :rolleyes: Yeah well how about a day against arachnophobia? :rolleyes:

adventuregirl
10-05-05, 21:43
PsOne:*hug*^^

Dear Draco, none is trying to step on your toes.

There is a huge difference between egoism and the happiness to be alive. It sounds that you have a little stereotypical way of thinking when it comes to homosexuals though Iīm not accusing you. Personally I donīt really care to go out on the streets with huge signs shouting aggressive slogans. It will do no good anyway. The best way to show other people our quality, gay or straight, is to act normally with them and be genuinly nice if they are nice to us. Since each of us come from a different kind of home, our experiences of how people have been treating us are different. I have been extremely lucky, my family and my friends love me as much as they always have so I donīt need to rebel. Some of us arenīt so lucky. Like one of my best friends who is gay. He has to live in fear every day because his family and many of his classmates are so intolerant and really aggressive. Now THATīs wrong. It isnīt a normal way to live if you have to fear that your family will throw you out of their life because of who you are, itīs not right if in school you have to fear that one day that nasty bunch of guys surround you in a dark alley and beat you just for being gay.

And because of that it would be nice to have a day that reminds people how unfair it is to be treated like that. And well we have Motherīs Day and Fatherīs Day etc..and we have all sorts of funny days with not so much meaning but we celebrate them anyway. So why not a day for homosexual people? The meaning of the day however isnīt just mourning for those who suffer, itīs the day that we celebrate us being alive! The dayīs name however perhaps isnīt the most descriptive in my mind. The idea of being against something is a little negative. Would Gay Day be better? http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/jumper.gif Well if it was Gay Day, many people would take it as a joke of some kind, something that should not be taken seriously. Iīd prefer Gay Day or Rainbow Day but thereīs no way you can please everybody so..

Well think about Easter for example. Everybody donīt celebrate it. Those who do celebrate have at least 2 ways of doing it. Some of them just skip all the Jesus-stuff and concentrate on eating chocolate eggs and others fast for a month before Easter and itīs all about Christ from the beginning to the end.

I think IDAH-day would be something like that too. One part of it is celebrating and the second part is more serious. Because life is not easy for most homosexuals, it takes a long time to gather strenght and courage to admit first to yourself and then to your family and friends that you are gay. It can be a really long and stressing journey and when you finally learn that actually there has not been any change in yourself and itīs just the way you are and thatīs it, itīs a HUGE relief. Itīs then that you realize that all the stress and pain was caused by the prejudices of other people and why you had a hard time to admit to yourself in the first place that you are gay it was all because you had the same prejudices in you because the environment had been giving negative signs towards it. You are not a bad person, thereīs nothing wrong with you and itīs alright. This is why itīs worth celebrating! Instead of hiding you can actually breathe and feel very happy and proud of yourself and enjoy that youīre alive. Itīs about accepting yourself and others. And it could help those people who are going through that difficult stage.

Itīs just the fact that if the majority of people start to treat homosexual sisters and brothers equally and respect them, there would be no need to suffer anymore. Of course itīs only one thing that can give one a hard time. It also can be one thing less.

Why is it that the day for queer is such a negative thing? Why make it such a big number if some of straight people donīt care about us anyway? It is really frustrating to know that some people will never change their opinions just because they THINK they know everything about us and how we are like when actually itīs only their imagination making things up. Itīs sad. By being more visible even one(!) day in a year we wish that those people could see how weīre really like and if we then possibly could remove some false ideas.

Actually this isnīt such a big deal but it may become one when opposite thinkers start sharing their opinions. Itīs just so stupid to divide people because of their sexuality when itīs everyoneīs private business anyway.. But if straight people think that homosexuals are some kind of irresponsible sick wackos in general, itīs no wonder if homosexuals start thinking straight people are mean racists.

Draco
10-05-05, 22:38
My brother is gay, I know exactly what a homosexual is and isn't. And 90% of them just want to live their lives like normal people, not stir up all this commotion.

Society won't change overnight and the harder you push the harder you have to push.

I may understand where you come from, but you can bet yer ass I'll push back.

Draco
10-05-05, 22:46
I'm not resistant to change, but I am aware of the fabric of society and whether you like it or not, you don't have to tell people you are gay. I'm not going to treat you any different either way, I'm just as aggressive to right wing conservatives.

Society will settle itself, all forcing the issue does is create resentment.

Also, even though I'm hardly religious, comparing this to Easter is silly. Easter has deep roots in history whether it happened or not. All this 'Gay Day' will do is remind people that gay people aren't normal.

So when is International Day Against Heterophobia?

RavenLettan
11-05-05, 03:42
Originally posted by irjudd:
Yeah well in general I like to watch cartoons. Tell ya what crack open some beers and i'll join ya. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Somehow I doubt whatever is said it's going to get through, so might as well enjoy some quality TV. :D

Capt. Murphy
11-05-05, 04:42
Any day anyone is harassed (regardless of sexual orientation) is a bad day. I feel the term Homosexual is merely a title for what one partakes in and feels for the same gender. And in my book that activity and feeling isn't right. The activity is far more wrong than the feeling. I can understand that that is how they must feel (they can't help it) and I can't hate what someone feels. Only disagree with it. But I do believe that the partaking in the activity is a terrible sin. I can't stop anyone from doing something I feel would result in the destruction of their soul. But that's just what I think. If you don't agree with that -fine. That's no reason to gang up and en`masse flambe me like about 8 other people did one other time I posted in a similar topic. You don't realize how much that seriously P.ed me Off! If I had posted half the stuff I thought of posting about each individual that I felt offended by -that time- I would've been banned a long time ago (November of '04 - if my memory serves me correctly). And yes. I made a list. ;)

But that's another story. It's kind of Ironic. They say not to hate this and that, but once someone like me opens their mouth and states his/her beliefs it's like they're a fox being ripped apart by ravenous dogs in a good ol' fashoined English Fox hunt.

International day against Christophobia anyone? http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/privateeye.gif

Sorry. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/redface.gif I just had to get that off my chest.

Nessie
11-05-05, 05:50
Capt. Murphy: I'd like to know why you find it wrong. Not to bash either side, I'd just like to see how people like you think.

Now, back on topic: I'm not sure what to think about it really, hate crimes based of someone sexuality is bad (as is all hatecrimes), but I doubt it would really do any good.

DREWY
11-05-05, 06:24
Don't you think it's sad that as a civilised world that there is even a need for a day like this. If everybody had more tolerance or less fear for something they don't like or know. You don't bother me - I don't bother you. You can be gay/ straight, man /woman - whatever. Who cares, we're all human.

RavenLettan
11-05-05, 10:25
Drewy, there isn't a need for it. That really is the argument being put across against it here.

I'm not saying that Homophobic people are all good, but I am saying they're not all bad.

Hate-crimes no matter what they're aimed at, are criminal actions. They're not called hate-crimes because it's a snazzy buzz word, it's because they are illegal actions.

Illegal actions are for the police to stop, and for the legal system to punish. But in order for the police to do thier job they need to know that it is going on.

A protest won't achieve that, only using a telephone and/or walking in to a police station to let them know that a crime is taking place.

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif I mean you can see my point can't you?

I don't believe that everyone gay is some leather-clad butch guy with a lisp and a boyfriend in a tight sailor uniform. Despite what these gay pride parades and media would like me to believe. I understand perfectly that they just people who happen to be attracted to those of the same sex.

Just because experience has left me very uneasy around people I know to be gay, doesn't mean I'm going to pick up a chair and lob it across the room at them.

The less I know about what people do behind closed doors the happier I am. That goes for everyone not just those who are doing actions that actually physically make me throw up thinking about.

I'm also aware that not everyone happens to have such a broad view of people as I do. Even people I hate I tend not to sit there making little digs at all the time, just when I'm having a bad day perhaps heh

Thing is.. I don't discriminate. And I always though that the point in these 'Pride Parades' and 'Awareness' days wasn't to propagate discrimination, but to make sure that it doesn't happen.

While I see time and time again, that most people would rather shift the burdon or blame of something on to someone else, and let them deal with it... this isn't the route we should be taking to teach our children that everyone deserves the same rights, and the same treatment.

That second part is especially true. As most 'equality' laws aren't about rights and treatment being equal. It's about showing diversity by numbers.

For example, it is illegal to not give someone a job simply because they're Black, Asian, or Gay.

Fair enough... so why do the rules state that you MUST hire someone from minority backgrounds?
This means simply because someone is in a minority they will have a job that they have not earnt.

That is not equality. But that is how the world see equality. If I am being harassed by someone who is say Gay at work, then legally the company will turn a blind eye. Because the Gay person can turn around and claim that he is being unjustly picked on simply because he's a minority. Yet if I was picking on him, I can get sacked right away due to unacceptable conduct.

This is the equality of the world. If this did ever happen, then I'd hold a grudge against that jackass; and know that he is one of the people who uses the current system to his advantage which causes alot of the hatred. I wouldn't start being some Gay hater thinking they're all like that though. Many people might and probably would though. Understandable too that this might happen.

It is unfair and unethical treatment. Yet there is no day showing the inequality in the equality rules and useage of them.

Focus should be on solving the problems we have with the system, rather than trying to find targets to blame. That is all this day is about, shifting blame, creating more discrimination, and making a small minority of people feel they've done a task without doing anything at all.

What exactly will you be patting yourselves on the back for? What exactly do you expect to accomplish through protests and actions.

If over 4,000,000 British Residents protesting for 3 days in London against Blair going to war with Bush in Iraq. What good do you feel a protest will actually achieve?

Blair didn't second guess his options back then. He second guessed them and made it apparent in his speech when he barely kept in office for Labour's landmark 3rd term in a row.

It is something you need to strongly think about too. You really are no different from those select individuals you want to stop, who won't be listening or even caring what you do.

Don't even want to listen to the other side of the fence, really shows how completely unenlightened this whole event is and those who are trying to get it going are.

irjudd
11-05-05, 13:25
I really like Tom & Jerry. Do they have that cartoon over there? I've never been to UK

RavenLettan
11-05-05, 13:57
Well it's on Boomarang, but don't have that channel.. Prefer Teen Titans, or Melo Korrigan http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Neteru
11-05-05, 14:43
Stick to topic people, and remember to be respectful.

PSone
11-05-05, 19:54
This isn't a protest or a parade down the street. It's an awareness day.

_Raven - You try telling a police officer that you've just been beaten to a pulp and when he/she asks what happened - telling them that you were hugging your (same sex) friend goodbye and were beaten for it. The interest of the officer on patrol really does end there.

Army, Police, Navy, Security - all these ax payer funded services are supposedly to help society as a whole, however you will find a severe lack of interest from these parties once they find out something has happened because you are gay. It's not right, it's not part of their job, but it happens. The law will only take you so far.

adventuregirl
20-05-05, 13:55
My latest writing was perhaps a little foolish. Itīs because I feel so frustrated about this whole subject. Yes, It would be better if there was no need for a day like IDAH. And Iīm not sure what it eventually means if we have a day like that if itīs not something Iīd want it to be like.

I really donīt like the idea of being AGAINST something because it only leads to conflicts. :rolleyes: Thatīs why it would be better to have a day when everybody can celebrate their identity and be proud of themselves, straight or gay. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Well, Draco, your brother doesnīt represent all gay people. Neither do I. Itīs simply because weīre all individuals. Itīs as realistic as you or me representing all mankind to a group of aliens.

Yesterday I was talking with my best friend who doesnīt think itīs a good thing to tell her friends about my sexuality. I said well, ok but what if I did? She said they probably wonīt invite me to their "tea-parties" anymore. (What a loss.. :rolleyes: ) Isnīt that odd? As long as they assume Iīm straight thereīs no problem but as soon as I open my mouth and say "Hey, I donīt like boys. I have a girlfriend." theyīll dump me. And what did I ever do to them? As soon as they find out about my sexuality, they concider me as a threat. So, if I live my life never telling them Iīm gay, theyīll keep inviting me to their parties and sending christmas cards and Iīm not a threat.

Itīs all in their heads. They imagine things because they donīt know the truth. That it doesnīt make any difference if Iīm gay. Iīm not trying to attack them and itīs about the last thing I would do. But they donīt know it because they have some bizarre idea of their own about gay people and me.

Now this is the reason why the cat should be put on the table. Because there is NO issue! There is only needless fear of something even we donīt know about.

A couple of years ago I was in Australia and there people assumed that in Finland we have polar bears and reindeers roaming around the streets. They also thought itīs always snowy and freezing. When I told them that our summer temperature can be over 30C, thatīs as much as their average tropical temperature, they were amazed. And I proved the polar bear theory wrong of course. And I heard I was much more talkative than they thought about Finnish people. ;)

So what does this have to do with the gay-issue? Think about that.

RavenLettan
20-05-05, 14:26
This isn't a protest or a parade down the street. It's an awareness day.

_Raven - You try telling a police officer that you've just been beaten to a pulp and when he/she asks what happened - telling them that you were hugging your (same sex) friend goodbye and were beaten for it. The interest of the officer on patrol really does end there.

Army, Police, Navy, Security - all these ax payer funded services are supposedly to help society as a whole, however you will find a severe lack of interest from these parties once they find out something has happened because you are gay. It's not right, it's not part of their job, but it happens. The law will only take you so far. Sorry.. but Bollocks.
There are enough members of my family and friends who are active duty police, for me to know that's a crock of ****.

That corrupt police BS should be left where it belongs, on TV and Russia. If there is an officer at your local police station who doesn't take your claims seriously then ring a metropolean station and explain the situation.. your local will be put under-evaluation and you'll be contacted by the metro station.

If this is a serious problem with YOUR police force which I highly doubt, then creating an international skiz about it isn't going to change your internal policies or regulation.

interstellardave
20-05-05, 15:00
You know what's interesting is that Homosexuality used to be considered a mental disorder. Nowadays if someone isn't openly supportive of homosexuality, or objects in ANY way--even peacefully, THAT is considered to be a mental disorder (homophobia)!

I like/dislike a person because of how they act and how they treat me and others, not for any other reasons. I do, however, intensely dislike "movements" such as this that constantly seek to push an agenda--ANY agenda.

RAVEN: (hope you see this):

Do you watch Seinfeld? There's a great episode where Kramer is in an "AIDS-walk" to raise money for AIDS awareness and he refuses to wear the AIDS ribbon. His theory was that he hates them because people wear them and think that they're doing something because of it. Anyway, he gets a bunch of flak for not wearing the ribbon even though he's walking to raise money! You'd appreciate that, I think. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/wave.gif

PS: I HATE the ribbon phenomena myself!

PSone
20-05-05, 22:28
On May 17 there was a 'mock' Gay Marriage for a lesbian couple at UQ (Univeristy of Queensland - St Lucia Campus). It was of course not an 'official' ceremony, but it was nice to take part in none the same http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

We are all different, can't we just all accept that?

Yours_in_darkness
21-05-05, 03:03
I've had enough of this.

Raven - what is your problem? You're not against having a special day for the Irish, are you? Or a special day for lovers? Mothers? Fathers? Then why should you be against a special day for homosexuals? Especially since it doesn't involve you! What are you trying to achieve by bashing this? Are you consciously trying to make homosexuals feel bad or is it just naturally happening?

All I'm trying to say is back off. If people want to celebrate, then let them celebrate. Nobody is going to hold a gun to your head and force you to celebrate too.

By the way, how can you have such strong negative feelings about something that doesn't involve you? Have you jumped to conclusions without even thinking about it, and just started to fight tooth and nail because someone brought the subject up?

I hate to be so harsh, but I've been following this topic since it was started and you need to give it a rest and leave these people alone. They never did anything to you.

I hope I got through to you and you take the time to chew on this for a while instead of impulsively biting back.

larasformerlover
24-07-05, 19:12
odviously some people do not know what i feels like to be a second class citizen.
untill all of mankind are equal, days like antihomophobia day are needed and are a good idea.

Draco
24-07-05, 19:23
All of mankind can never be equal. We aren't created equal. Now maybe in the legal sense we can be equal, but there will always be smart people and dumb people, etc.

Besides, if you wouldnt tell the whole world yer homosexual (like anyone honestly cares) you wouldnt be having this problem.

It's your choice to feel like a second class citizen.

Capt. Murphy
24-07-05, 19:31
Oh Gawd. Who Necrobumped? http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/whistle.gif

:D j/k