PDA

View Full Version : The Goonies (1985)

tlr online
07-03-05, 00:22
I could rattle on all night about this movie because it influenced my life on just about every level even though I was only a nipper at the time. Mickey, Brand, Andy, Steff, Mouth, Chunk and Data were an amalgamation of exactly who I wanted to be Ė ardent explorers, and best friends. When The Goonies first debuted in 1985, I was eight years old. Instantly it struck a cord with me. The sense of adventure, the sense that something out there was bigger and better and beckoned exploring. Spielbergís pic pretty much consumed me at the time, and I suppose unlocked that place inside me that eventually found a connection with the Tomb Raider franchise. I had pretty much every bit of merchandise that accompanied this movie. The soundtrack on LP! On cassette. The audio tape and book. Special Edition magazines, the glossy photo book of The Goonies. I had the bubble-gum cards (complete series) and I managed to wangle a cinema poster after the staff there got used to seeing me attend. I must have watched the movie 14 or so times at the theatre, then scored a pirate version of the movie (on BETAMAX) and watched from the comfort of my folksí house. Something clicked for sure. The camaraderie of a group of folk bent on finding buried treasure and unlocking the secret of One Eyed Willy. I donít think it was about the spoils tho, it was about the chase. The binding of folk who may not have fit in with their more conventional counterparts at school, work (in Brandonís case).. etc. I suspect their time spent fumbling through caves, sliding into water pools, playing the bones on an ancient organ and running from the Fratelliís provided more of a nourishment that actually finding Willyís ship and grabbing the treasure. For me at least, thatís the part that took hold of me. Their journey could have lasted forever for me.

Some talk has been bantered about a sequel, with the original cast on board. Production of this would shatter every illusion Spielburg created with his original movie. Leave it where it isÖ a group of kids who, in 1985, captured the imagination of kids the world over.

Five stars. Peroid.

UNDERTAKER
07-03-05, 01:25
Its a classic! The bit where Sloth rips open his shirt to reveal the superman logo...amazing!

tlr online
07-03-05, 01:30
LOL! Yeah. Sadly John Matuszak (Sloth) and Ann Ramsey (Mama Fratelli) died. :(

Thorn
07-03-05, 02:48
Ahh, yes! This is one of my all time favorites. I'm more partial to mystery movies (and novels) but this adventure theme is very enticing e.g. Tomb Raider. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/thumb.gif

Sophia Leigh
07-03-05, 03:22
Yeah it was a good movie as a kid. I was scared of that One Eyed Willy.

tlr online
07-03-05, 03:24
Hello Sophia. Welcome to the forum. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/wave.gif

Smith will Suffice
07-03-05, 03:33
HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYY YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU GUYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYS!?!?!

-Smith

tlr online
07-03-05, 03:40
AS. LOL! Remember the Goonie oath?

I will never betray my Goon Dock friends,
We will stick together till the whole world ends.
Through heaven and hell and nuclear war,
Good pals like us will stick like tar.
In the city or the country or the forest or the boonies,
I am proudly declared a fellow Goonie.

Draco
07-03-05, 06:17
I liked that movie.

Neteru
07-03-05, 10:03
LOL AS

Yes, a fave of mine too. Glad I finally got the DVD http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/thumb.gif

Soundtrack eh tlr. You must like Cyndi Lauper then ???

Scottlee
07-03-05, 12:46
50 DOLLAR BILLS!! 50 DOLLAR BILLS! HEY YOU GUYS! WE HAVE THE MONEY TO PAY! 50 DOLLAR BILLS!

Yeah, great film. It's one of mine and my brother's favourites. We must have watched it about 20 times each since we were kids in the late eighties.

Other great moments from the film....

2)"Hey you guys! I've been saved by the pincers of power!"

3)Troy chucking a coin into the well then hearing Andie shout up to him - "See guys! Wishes DO come true ghahah"

4)The namechecking of brilliantly named characters that you never actually get to see, such as chester Copperpot and One eyed Willy

5)Mouth spitting the jewellery out as the old hag repeatedly says - "OH..MY..GOD".

mommy_raider
07-03-05, 16:04
Ah, I remember that one.. ;) Won't say how much older I was than you though. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif

croft28
07-03-05, 22:48
Man this is a flash back eh!

I havent seen this in YEARS!

Infact im gonna rent it today http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

tlr online
07-03-05, 23:23
Croft28. The DVD comes with an AWESOME commentary from all the original cast, and Richard Donner. You see them how they are today, in the corner of the screen, commenting and sharing secrets from the whole of the movie! WOW! So much info on filming, incidents on set.. just tons of information.

And to see The Goonies again, out of character, in real life as they are today, well, it's quite moving.

tlr online
07-03-05, 23:27
Net. For sure! The Goonies introduced me to Cyndi Lauper, and now I have most of her CDs. Her voice is so unique, and her music is crafted superbly. Great artist!

croft28
08-03-05, 12:14
OMG!....The Goonies introduced me to Cyndi Lauper as well. I remember seeing her singing on the tv screen in that house in the beginning. It wasnt until a few months later that i found out my sister had her albums. Yay for Cyndi!

Neteru
08-03-05, 15:02
Originally posted by tlr online:
Net. For sure! The Goonies introduced me to Cyndi Lauper, and now I have most of her CDs. Her voice is so unique, and her music is crafted superbly. Great artist! Couldn't agree more! I only wish I could get Live at Le Zenith on DVD, what a concert (especially when she sings Baby Workout and hits that top C WOW!).

SpArKy
08-03-05, 16:08
Originally posted by Agent Smith:
HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYY YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU GUYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYS!?!?!

-Smith My thoughts down to the T. How funny is that. I used to do it all the time at school. LOL