PDA

View Full Version : Poll: UK elections - straw poll

tlr online
05-05-05, 11:44
Greetings all.

May 5 (today) is our UK elections. Cast your vote in our straw poll. Voting is completely anonymous.

Neteru
05-05-05, 15:45
I'm not even registered to vote!

Scottlee
05-05-05, 15:46
Lib Dems. I don't think I'm going to have time to go and put my vote in, though.

tlr online
05-05-05, 15:50
Actually Net, neither am I, but I already know that the Bush-poodle/lair will serve a third term, because there is no real competition.

RavenLettan
05-05-05, 15:55
Lib Dem. I've been waiting a good 2-3weeks for the information on where it's being held around here.

Had a tonne on 'vote labour' and 'vote conservative', but nothing on where the hell the actual polling office is.

Aren't they suppose to have sent you a copy of where it is and that little form your suppose to fill out? (last vote I was stateside to missed out then)

Oh well, there's always the online option.. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
first I need a sodding cuppa and a sit down, meetings with exec's always make me wanna go postal.

[edit]

Just been, found out local government (typical) futzed up with the voting register... so the entire household isn't elegible.

Kinda ticks me off given I used my voting registra as proof of identity just last week. Damn government beauracracy!

Oh well 2 lost Lib Dem and 1 lost Labour vote..

(Heh pssst. TRL American governments can only serve 2 terms, after that they have to hand it over to the party successor or the other party gets in.)

[ 05. May 2005, 17:21: Message edited by: Raven_ ]

crux2
05-05-05, 16:30
The general consensus in my group of almost able to vote friends is one of:

.interested in the Libral policies but with no intention of having a scott run the UK (i don't see why not but i was shouted down on this issue)

.rumors that Mr Howard is a vampire is enough to keep him out of power (i think he's part of the Tremere clan)

.yeah Tony messed up on some "issues" but he's the only real choice (or lack of)

.wouldn't trust any of them with a burnt out match

Neteru
05-05-05, 16:36
I would register tlr, but for the fact that doing so puts your name and address on public record, so that anyone can go into a post office and find out where you live! Big http://www.tombraiderforums.com/forums/icons/icon13.gif in my book.

tlr online
05-05-05, 16:37
Inded Net, which is the reason I have remained under the radar, because I value my privacy.

Henhead
05-05-05, 17:26
Originally posted by Neteru:
I would register tlr, but for the fact that doing so puts your name and address on public record, so that anyone can go into a post office and find out where you live! Big http://www.tombraiderforums.com/forums/icons/icon13.gif in my book. Did not know that, but cant they find out your address from the phone book, unless youíre X-directory of course http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/privateeye.gif

On the other hand why would somebody really want to find out where you lived? For a start they would need to know at least your real full name and rough location (City or Town) of where you are to find out.

*flicks through phone book for a listing under Neteru* http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/whistle.gif

:D http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/wave.gif

Scottlee
05-05-05, 18:00
Originally posted by crux2:
.interested in the Libral policies but with no intention of having a scott run the UK Oi! What would be so bad about me being in power??
:(

I'd clean up this damn country, and to get the kid's votes I'd make it compulsory for schools to run three lessons a day on the art of TR-hardcore :D

Gomes
05-05-05, 18:10
As European citizen I can't vote for the general election. I if could I would vote for the Monster Raving Loony Party.

In Portugal 2 terms is the maximum too.

Draco
05-05-05, 18:26
Maybe the UK NEEDs a Scot.

Neteru
05-05-05, 18:40
Henhead:
...cant they find out your address from the phone book, unless youíre X-directory of course

*flicks through phone book for a listing under Neteru* LOL. And of course, I'm x directory.

Henhead:
...why would somebody really want to find out where you lived?When they're mentally unhinged and can't accept that you're not interested in them? When they think they're married to you? ;)

SpArKy
05-05-05, 18:41
Aload of ****, we all know we need to tighten immigrant rules, more police and stop people spunging off our very generous Social Security.

I dont see why people value privay so much nowadays, no matter how much you try your never private, everything you buy in the supermarket to the water bills you pay is recorded to a databse. You can tell aot by a person from a Supermarket database.

I mean, i am young and stupid, so i dont know, why do you value privacy so much, i can understand. But if your not wanted by the FBI then why?

Oh by the way i have never voted and never will. What one offers, the other cant. SI dont see why all parties cant join together and make a perfect Btitain by incorporating each benefits.

SpArKy
05-05-05, 18:44
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Henhead:
...cant they find out your address from the phone book, unless youíre X-directory of course

*flicks through phone book for a listing under Neteru* LOL. And of course, I'm x directory.

Henhead:
...why would somebody really want to find out where you lived?When they're mentally unhinged and can't accept that you're not interested in them? When they think they're married to you? ;) </font>[/QUOTE]On that bottom note, i know exactly what you mean. I have had this problem, but i was living with my mam at the time and shes crazy and beat the person with a break. GULP...mothers hey :eek:

01kr01
05-05-05, 18:45
Hate Bush hes a liar!!!
Conservatives!!!

SpArKy
05-05-05, 18:47
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Henhead:

Henhead:
...why would somebody really want to find out where you lived?When they're mentally unhinged and can't accept that you're not interested in them? When they think they're married to you? ;) </font>[/QUOTE]On that bottom note, i know exactly what you mean. I have had this problem, but i was living with my mam at the time and shes crazy and beat the person with a brick. GULP...mothers hey :eek:

nikos
05-05-05, 18:51
just a few questions to all of my friends who live in UK!

How much, and for how many british voters,the war in iraq can effect theirs vote?

In greece mass media said that, people of britain will vote for british matters and problems and not for the war.

Also i read that the concervative leader said that, he will also follow usa in iraq, so blair will have not a really opponent in that issue!what the third party, liberals, said about it?
its no i think but i am not sure.

Whats the latest official polls about the elections now?and what was the percentage of the parties in the elections before?

I wish the best to win,but is there really a best party?

I have been dissapointed so much for the greek political scene for the reason that both of the "big" parties, are the same so i ask if some people have something to believe or its the same thing everywhere!
my regards!

Draco
05-05-05, 19:33
Originally posted by 01kr01:
Hate Bush hes a liar!!!
Conservatives!!! We aren't all bad. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

01kr01
05-05-05, 19:49
Blair a liar, sorry i didnt mean Bush!!!

RavenLettan
05-05-05, 19:53
Oh by the way i have never voted and never will. What one offers, the other cant. SI dont see why all parties cant join together and make a perfect Btitain by incorporating each benefitsClassic Conservative thinking.

Q: How much, and for how many british voters,the war in iraq can effect theirs vote?
A: It is a shame, but for most of the English.. the "war" is now a non-issue.

To a degree I'm inclined to agree. The ACTUAL "war" isn't an issue... it's what our government was doing during this time. The Labour advert campaign has been about a government you can trust, and one you can depend on.

During the "war" the population was ignored, our voiced drowned out, and we were lied to countless times. On that basis alone, I would not even listen to Labours campaign promises.

When you add on the fact that they have STILL yet to achieve what they promised 12years ago when they came in to power. Right now, I have no trust for a Labour government run by Tony Blair.

Q: Also i read that the concervative leader said that, he will also follow usa in iraq, so blair will have not a really opponent in that issue!what the third party, liberals, said about it?
A: Conservative flipflop around. They change to whatever policies people want to hear.. I get the feeling that if they could literally buy the election, they would. While most of thier polices did sound really good, it just struck me that they did this last time. Promising things just to sound like the best choice.

On the fact of if to 'go to war' this is another problem Conservative have. They're not a united party. Some wanted to follow america, other firmly believed it was a bad idea. Everyone voiced thier oppoising opinions and what you see is a party that can't even agree with itself. Let alone on what's best for the county.

Liberal Democrats, are possibly the best choice right now. They've outlined clearly, what they want to do, shown how they're planning to do and finance it... The party is solid, while not experienced .. they never will be until they're voted in.

The only issue people have is that they're led by a Scott. Unfortunately there is still some quite deep seeded distrust of the other nations of the United Kingdom.

Remember we're not like the United States, each country in the UK is still very seperate in culture and identity. While the English government controls the UK as a whole (and England obviously).. each of the other nations have thier own parliments and treasuries.

So we still have many of the things that hold us back, due to old grudges. The same is said that the nation as a whole is very much set in the fact that they believe we only have 2 parties like the states.. it's not true.

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif oh well

Tramp
05-05-05, 23:33
If your Howard is anything like our Howard don't vote for him.

By the way voting is compulsory in Australia you can get fined and or thrown in gaol for not voting or registering to vote.

Personally I feel if you don't vote you have no right to ***** about the party that gets in.

RavenLettan
06-05-05, 04:46
is gaol like a jail? http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
Personally I feel if you don't vote you have no right to ***** about the party that gets in.if everyone has to vote, then technically that means every retard with an opinion can air it without you being able to shut them up with the 'no-vote' excuse. :-\

still making voting compulsary is... well a little anti-democratic, no?

the whole point in a democracy (which btw, technically britian is still a monarchy with a publically elected governing body... not a democracy hense they don't have to play fair) is to provide everyone with the choice and freedom to elect thier own government, or not to.

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif man i wish the forum poll was the national poll... heh Lib Dem in government would rock, cause they've never been in before.

Neteru
06-05-05, 10:56
Gaol is the original English word, jail is the American spelling.

Tramp
06-05-05, 13:28
Raven unless you have forgotten Australia is still a colony of England.

And yes every retard with an opinion can air their opinion and if we didn't have compulsory voting they are probably the only ones who would vote so at least this way we sensible ones can attempt to keep some sanity in the country. Unfortunately we are not always successful.

If you choose not to vote for any of the idiots you really don't have to. You can just get your name marked off and not get fined and put the ballot paper directly in the box. Or you can do the donkey vote and the vote is just invalid.
The donkey vote is usually why we can't keep any sanity in the country.

Thank you Net for setting Raven straight on the spelling of gaol. I really would have thought a Pom would know the correct spelling seeing they invented the language. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/mischievous.gif http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/whistle.gif

[ 06. May 2005, 14:32: Message edited by: Tramp ]

Neteru
06-05-05, 14:17
I would say Kate that most UK people don't actually know that 'gaol' is the correct UK spelling, because they are (strangely) taught 'jail' in school.

And about a Lib Dem government. Technically, they have been in government, with David Lloyd George.

[ 06. May 2005, 15:20: Message edited by: Neteru ]

Scottlee
06-05-05, 15:22
Everyone I know says 'Prison'.

crux2
06-05-05, 16:01
I like the scottish (sorry for the late reply) but some of my "associates" seem to harbour a generalised mistrust, one inparticular seems to be positively enraged by the accent alone.

To be fair he does get enraged about the most random things, from sandals to the LA Lakers...

Chug a Bug
07-05-05, 00:37
Originally posted by nikos:
just a few questions to all of my friends who live in UK!

How much, and for how many british voters,the war in iraq can effect theirs vote?

In greece mass media said that, people of britain will vote for british matters and problems and not for the war.

Also i read that the concervative leader said that, he will also follow usa in iraq, so blair will have not a really opponent in that issue!what the third party, liberals, said about it?
its no i think but i am not sure.Yes, thats pretty much all true. The Iraq factor has apparently had an effect on voting, or so the political pundits tell us, but not enough to affect the overall vote sadly.

Originally posted by nikos:
Whats the latest official polls about the elections now?and what was the percentage of the parties in the elections before?

I wish the best to win,but is there really a best party?

I have been dissapointed so much for the greek political scene for the reason that both of the "big" parties, are the same so i ask if some people have something to believe or its the same thing everywhere!
my regards! It seems that politics is pretty much the same the world over then!

Labour has a reduced majority in Parliament, but otherwise they remain in power, unfortunately.

Chug a Bug
07-05-05, 00:41
And about a Lib Dem government. Technically, they have been in government, with David Lloyd George. &lt;Pedantic&gt;Technically that was Liberal, not Liberal Democrat &lt;/Pedantic&gt;

RavenLettan
07-05-05, 01:01
Raven unless you have forgotten Australia is still a colony of England.Your part of the commonwealth but no longer English territory, not since 2001. From what I understand of the whole 'rights of independance' bill that was passed. Alot less bloodshed and anger than the Irish one too.

Gaol is the original English word, jail is the American spelling. Thank you Net for setting Raven straight on the spelling of gaol. I really would have thought a Pom would know the correct spelling seeing they invented the language.According to the Oxford Dictionary, it's a *******isation of two words...

jaiole and gayole, both french and derived to mean Caged from the original Latin.
It doesn't say that Jail is an americanisation which suggests to me that this is a natural dialect variation.

Much like the word English itself. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif While it was taught in History how the word English came around there are many words that were not taught and you take the current variation of it to be the given.

(i.e. long and short we don't use it no more)
This said the words do mean slightly different terms. Jail, is the word for Confinement, Gaol is the word for a person to be placed within confinement. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/jail?view=uk

atleast according to the website. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

RavenLettan
07-05-05, 01:05
Originally posted by Scottlee:
Everyone I know says 'Prison'. most people i know call it a nickname... like
'the box', 'the clink', 'free room & board' heh

Joseph
07-05-05, 01:11
"most people you know"? :D

Tramp
07-05-05, 02:20
We still use the old Oxford Dictionary spelling of the word especially us oldies. It's like our spelling of words like Colour and not Color and using a z in specialize not an s. It's the way I was tought and at least I can read which is more than I can say for alot of school kids nowadays. (I'm talking about in Australia won't make any statements for other countries.

And our law and political system is still the Westminster system.

Neteru
07-05-05, 10:45
Chug a Bug:
&lt;Pedantic&gt;Technically that was Liberal, not Liberal Democrat &lt;/Pedantic&gt;I know it was a Liberal government. I said technically Liberal Democrat, because the Liberal Democrat party was ultimately created from the Liberal party, SDP/Labour defectors. ;)