PDA

View Full Version : Which phrases do you have complete contempt for?

Scottlee
05-05-05, 15:42
Here are some that always annoy me...

1 - "He could be the next "
The moment you tell a lad he's going to be the next Pele because he's good at football, or the next George Bush because he's just scored an A+ on his Grade 2 politics paper, you've given him the kiss of death. He will now NEVER go on to achieve as much as the aforementioned did.

2 - "It's all gone Pear shaped" (meaning that things have gone wrong)
Probably not as despised by me as the makers of pears. But it is still annoying, and hardly rolls off the tongue.

3 - "Oooh, he's a right little Casanova" (Or any variation involving the use of the name Casanova. Means that [i]he clearly has a way with the ladies"
Casanova was an average Joe with women. He never pulled the women he wanted most. In fact he spent much of his life struggling fervently (but fruitlessly) against all bourgeoise in general, most of which considered him a good laugh, a good lay, and not much else.

4 - "The s***'s hit the fan" (Meaning that things have gone pear shaped lol)
This one is just nonsensical rubbish. Doesn't make any sense and is vulgar to boot.

5 - "Take a butchers at this" (Meaning you should come and look at whatever this may be
Eh? Explain that one to me!

Feel free to add your own.

Nessie
05-05-05, 15:52
"If I was you... "
You are not. Leave me alone. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/c-1.gif

"He/she/you want/s to have the cake and eat it too!"
Well, if I am not allowed to eat a cake I've got, then what am I supposed to do with it? Knit sweaters for it? :confused:

fallen-angel
05-05-05, 16:21
Oh, I absolutely hate when people say, "Same difference." How can something be the same if it's different?! :mad: :D

tlr online
05-05-05, 16:24
"At the end of the day... "

Arrrrrrrrrrgggggggg!!!

Anubis_AF
05-05-05, 16:28
Originally posted by Scottlee:

1 - "He could be the next [insert famous name]"
The moment you tell a lad he's going to be the next Pele because he's good at football, or the next George Bush because he's just scored an A+ on his Grade 2 politics paper, you've given him the kiss of death. He will now NEVER go on to achieve as much as the aforementioned did.

I strongly agree with this one.

Neteru
05-05-05, 16:29
Scottlee:
5 - "Take a butchers at this" (Meaning you should come and look at whatever this may be
Eh? Explain that one to me!****ney rhyming slang. Butcher's hook - look.

And speaking of ****ney. I think I pretty much detest any ****ney phrase.

You can't have your cake and eat it.

I detest it when people say it, because it's wrong. The phrase is: You can't eat your cake and have it.

You can't judge a book by it's cover.
Yes you can.

Cheer up. It might never happen.
General response to that: *Punch*[insert various expletives here]

There's probably loads more, I just can't (or don't want to) remember any more.

crux2
05-05-05, 16:47
Not really contempt but my uncle continues to say this:

"life is like a **** (swear word for poo if blanked out) sandwitch - the more bread you have the less **** you have to eat"

I whole heartedly disagree, no matter how much bread you eat you will still have to confront the same amount of **** eventually.

I think the meaning refers to life and having money or qualifications to help you. still misleading - when did money make you happy?

Draco
05-05-05, 18:17
When I was your age...

...you aren't old enough to be my age, 6 decade toddler.

nikos
05-05-05, 20:27
'"when i was your age"
well i will try a joke!
a father tell to his son
"when i was your age i have been married i got a job bla,bla.."
and son replays
"when napoleon was your age he was the greatest emperor in europe!"
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/jumper.gif

TRChik
05-05-05, 20:58
"maybe next time"

bull ****. there's never a next time, or so it seems.

UNDERTAKER
05-05-05, 21:02
When you used to ask for something from your parents and they gave you a "We'll see" or "I'll think about it" answer!

Just a simple yes or no would do!!!

TRChik
05-05-05, 21:04
oo i hate those ones too undertaker. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/c-1.gif

Veronica Ma
05-05-05, 21:08
"Trust me." :D

njdogluver89
05-05-05, 21:20
"Don't worry. Things can't get any worse."
Eh, yes they can. They always do. :mad:

sanjalemajic
05-05-05, 21:24
How about "I told you so." ?
:mad:
Never say that to people even if you DID tell them.

Kay
05-05-05, 21:50
I hate it when people say 'fit' when they're talking about looks. Why cant people just say 'they're pretty' or 'they're nice looking'! That pee's me off alot. Im a good ol, stick to the real old words....i still use the word handsome! http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/redface.gif rahaha

[ 05. May 2005, 22:51: Message edited by: K ]

Tramp
05-05-05, 23:21
One of our idiot Prime Ministers coined the phrase

"Life Wasn't Meant To Be Easy"

It wasn't meant to be bloody impossible either.

He usually said it when releasing a nasty budget which was going to rip off the little people once again and line the pockets of his rich mates.

This from the man who was rich and got a 4% loan during a drought when everyone else was paying about 15%.

DREWY
05-05-05, 23:43
Have a nice day - like you care, you don't even know me.

Yes Tramp- good old Malcolm.

[ 06. May 2005, 00:45: Message edited by: DREWY ]

Gomes
06-05-05, 00:23
Originally posted by UNDERTAKER:
When you used to ask for something from your parents and they gave you a "We'll see" or "I'll think about it" answer! Just a simple yes or no would do!!! LOL. Guilty. :D
Parents don't want to say yes, but if they said "no" you would probably have a tantrum or argue, so they delay the no by giving you false hope.

There is no phrase that irritates me, I find them funny, but I will try and take note of all of your hated ones I don't use them. *copy pastes*

Tramp
06-05-05, 01:59
Yes Drewy the biggest downfall of this country. He introduced us to John Howard. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/c-1.gif http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/c-1.gif http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/c-1.gif

DREWY
06-05-05, 02:01
The feral Koala

Yours_in_darkness
06-05-05, 03:27
People quote the movie Napoleon Dynamite sooooooo much and I just can't stand it because I didn't like that movie. Whenever someone quotes anything from it I just cringe.

Cookin
06-05-05, 03:34
It's a rare one,but my old boss would say.."If i dont see you through the week,I'll see you through the window!"And he would say it EVERY BLOODY DAY!!!for 4 YEARS!

Yours_in_darkness
06-05-05, 03:41
I hate the phrase 'Nip it in the bud.' My volleyball team had a fight over it because half of the team understood it but half thought it didn't make any sense and thought it would be better if it went 'Nip it in the butt.' That turned out to be a very bad practice indeed.

Olvidarse
06-05-05, 03:44
"Happy ending" - Is there ever a happy ending? Death and taxes are for sure.

"I'm sorry." - Is anyone ever sincerely sorry if they bump into you, or make a miniscule mistake of some sort?

egyptspy
06-05-05, 03:59
"My bad..."
-****py version of "I'm sorry" or "Excuse me," but has all sincerety sucked out of it.

"It takes all kinds..."
-OK, right.

"GOOD MORNING!!!!!!!!!"
-I hate mornings.

(After you slip on the floor): "Watch out, it's slippery there."
-Thanks, *******.

[ 06. May 2005, 05:00: Message edited by: egyptspy ]

nikos
06-05-05, 09:01
Well i agree with all of you here but.....
How many times we use these exactly annoying,hatable,etc expretions when we talk to others!

oh!teacher, you were instructed us!lol!

[ 06. May 2005, 10:02: Message edited by: nikos ]

Genocide
06-05-05, 09:22
when people add "You know what i mean?" to the end of thier sentences or "Innit" innit (had to get that in for comedy purposes :D )

[ 06. May 2005, 10:23: Message edited by: Genocide ]

Andromeda66
06-05-05, 10:06
I think it all depends on the tone of voice. If something annoys me more than the words, its the tone wherein even simple phrases like "I told you so" get on my nerves.

crux2
06-05-05, 15:45
Nudge nudge, wink wink, know what i mean?
say no more...

Kay
06-05-05, 16:21
i actually like that one! i quote it from Monty Phython hehehe http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif

sanjalemajic
06-05-05, 22:04
Me too! The Phythons rule!

Meep
07-05-05, 06:00
how about ..

" You have no idea " ? usually followed by a smirk or some sort of degrading noise or facial expression...

like in Max Payne the first one when that crooked cop laughs at Max n repeats " you have no idea *chuckle* you have no idea" grrr makes me boil

Henhead
07-05-05, 06:24
when you ask for something and you are told no, and you ask why and they reply with...

Just because

Dont really get that now, but I used to get it a lot of my farther when I was growing up, it used to really annoy me :mad:

Geck-o-Lizard
07-05-05, 10:46
"I could care less"

That means you care. The correct phrase is "couldn't care less". WHY is this not OBVIOUS???

"1337!"

Most annoying number ever.

Gomes
07-05-05, 11:06
Originally posted by egyptspy:
"GOOD MORNING!!!!!!!!!"
-I hate mornings.Ah-ha, so you were the man that came install my broadband. What a grouch that guy was, he even replied with a miserable grunt "Mornings are never good". LOL

Of course I made sure I looked even more happy throwing snow balls around with the kid to make him even more ****y, while he checked the cables. I even sang. :D

Maybe we should start a thread of "acceptable expressions for the cynical"? :D