PDA

View Full Version : Tips for being a Video Game designer

Camera Obscura
07-05-05, 01:44
I have had an urge since I was little to become a video game designer. I wonder what game pursuaded me into this longing. :rolleyes:

Anyways, I know I'll have to take some type of college course that involves Technology related things but I don't know where to start.

Like right now I'll be entering High School so what should I mainly focus on? Computer classes? Art? (The design part of the career) Writing? (There has to be a story involved) Maybe there's a website with tips or information to what I should study at.

I suck at Art so I don't know how much that'll affect my dreams but I really want to work hard in the near future, actually, I kinda work hard now. Art, Computer Programming, A little of Writing, and a little of Math, what else should I take into consideration?

I'd appreciate any tips or suggestion from you guys. Doesn't matter if they're positive or negative remarks. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

[ 07. May 2005, 02:45: Message edited by: Camera Obscura ]

MizzXCroft
07-05-05, 03:50
I think you should definitely computer programming courses, anything that has to do with graphics. I don't know about photography but maybe that'll help you with the visuals or something. Try asking the high school you're going to go to what kind of courses they have that could help in video game design. I'm sure they'll have some answers for you. But I'm also certain that a lot of members here will have more informative answers that mine. Just wait for them. :D

RavenLettan
07-05-05, 03:58
Depends what aspect of Game Design you wish to take doesn't it?

Generally speaking many tasks unless they're appointed as part of a BS Title (like Senior Graphics Designer... seriously that's just a companies excuse to hire someone because they're a label, and give them a false title with which to make them sound important), what you'll find is that the art team has the largest say over the direction of the game as a whole.

Programmers give thier opinions on what they see is the best way to achieve a given end. Everything tends to work in a very synced fashion, with each member of the team contributing things.

Really what you need to decide is more what area you'd prefer to be... Programmers are the problem solvers, they deal with issues and figure out the technical development and implimentation.

They also can learn things from a technical stand-point. So talent is less of a requirement going in, you can base your work more from facts, learning and a good memory.

Artists on the other hand have a broader view of working environments... from Concepters (2D Drawing Concept Artwork and design), to Animators, Modellers, Skinners, etc..

Each of these areas depends more on creativity generally speaking. Nothing is a one-man show though, so you've got to be open to your ideas being tweaked twisted and edited to fit everyone else's vision.

Possibly the person who gets the most conceptual control over a game and it's plot is the script writer. They determin what happens where and when in terms of the dialog.. but still most of it is outlined by meetings between the artists on the direction a project needs to take.

There are also so many companies that do things differently... Square-Enix hire people who all they do is storyboard and such for games, yet for a company like Blizzard the Senior Artist would be in-charge of that task.

So there aren't really any direct or exact routes to achieve a position you are asking for. It pays, to have a little knowlage of everything, but you need to determin a specialty. Something that will get your foot in the door, then build from that to the position you'd like.

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Olvidarse
07-05-05, 07:17
Nothing really matters during high school. As long as you keep your grades up, participate in either clubs/sports, and study for the SAT you'll do fine. Right now you need to make your resume attractive to your college of choice. Research on which college specializes in computer engineering.

Perhaps you could start with Visual Basic, then Pascal, then AP Pascal, then AP Java. I'm not sure what each course consists of, except for Visual Basic. Over here in Cali., Visual Basic is a required computer course. It's incredibly boring and difficult if your instructor is the devil. Unfortunately for you, most computer science teachers are evil. ;) Your high school might offer a pseudo-technology-art class like mine, which is called 3-D Art (or something of that sort).

Remember, you must fulfill your required high school courses. My district requires a certain number of years for math, science, English, PE, and art courses. You need to take those designated years in order to graduate. In addition, you need to take AP and Honors classes to make your resume more convincing. You can't specialize separate skills during high school.

[ 07. May 2005, 08:19: Message edited by: Olvidarse ]

Draco
07-05-05, 07:35
There is a course designed specifically for this at my technical school.

Apofiss
07-05-05, 11:03
Art, Computer Programming, A little of Writing, and a little of Math, what else should I take into consideration?If you already have art and programming skills (Max or Maya etc/Delphi or C++ etc) then the next step is good imagination and ideas! ;)

Camera Obscura
07-05-05, 16:18
Thanks for the replies you guys. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/wave.gif

Originally posted by Raven_:
Depends what aspect of Game Design you wish to take doesn't it?

Artists on the other hand have a broader view of working environments... from Concepters (2D Drawing Concept Artwork and design), to Animators, Modellers, Skinners, etc...

Possibly the person who gets the most conceptual control over a game and it's plot is the script writer. They determin what happens where and when in terms of the dialog.. but still most of it is outlined by meetings between the artists on the direction a project needs to take.

There are also so many companies that do things differently... Square-Enix hire people who all they do is storyboard and such for games, yet for a company like Blizzard the Senior Artist would be in-charge of that task.

I think I should take art and script writer into consideration as they seem to be mainly what I'm after.

Script writer is what seems to be important, IMO. Working to make sure the storyline goes as plan. Taking Square-Enix with Final Fantasy stories is something I found interesting. Their storyline has some thought put into it and unfolds many aspects of the game for the players. Unlike games like Mortal Kombat or those NFL games where there is no storyline, or maybe a weak storyline, I see that Script Writing is something that might be for me.

On the other hand, art ,or game design actually, seems to bring that storyline to life by the imagination both writer and drawer show. I like to make doodles but get an urge to learn real art and put it to good use. Tomb Raider: Legend for example has some great designs in both the environment and Lara herself. Shading, shadowing, coloring, and texturing all seem to bring hope to this game and with Lara's new model, it seems promising.

I took art class in the 7th grade and witnessed how my art teacher worked on a drawing of a forest for SIX MONTHS! A lot of hard work she put into that drawing and although it probably doesn't take that long to draw concept art, It does need effort and focus put into it nonetheless.

I've read many novels, even when they sometimes seem boring, I can tell how much the writer worked hard to make this story come to life in the reader's imagination. I consider the Harry Potter books a good example of fantasy and story telling.

I just hope I can follow this plan through and become part of an art crew or become a script writer.

Thanks Raven and the rest of you for offering some advice.

Apofiss, (Max or Maya etc/Delphi or C++ etc)? I have no clue what the hell that means. :confused: Maybe programming skills isn't for me, unless it counts in the art/script department. But thanks anyways. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

[ 07. May 2005, 17:20: Message edited by: Camera Obscura ]

RavenLettan
07-05-05, 17:00
Well regardless of what you finally decide on what I'd STRONGLY suggest is going to College then University in the UK.

You spend like 4 years stateside to go for what you want while in the mean time you have to put up with alot of the schools own BS about what basics you need and such.

In the UK it's very different. You pick your subjects and those are what you do, a much more direct and focused route.

Well anyways in terms of artwork and writing the best things to do is take more interest in the obvious subjects writing and art. You can expand on this as you go to College.. computer courses really aren't necessary, as most will have Computer Art and Technical Writing (Script Development) Courses.

Most of the time these courses are mearly to have BNc in a given subject. The paper is more important than the talent for many companies.

I would suggest in your spare time working on small projects that involve what you want to do. Say write up a story for some Tomb Raider levels and developed them with TRLE or such..

with so many games like Half-Life and Tomb Raider offering you the ability to create your own single player experiences you can get the experience of that now. Teaming up with physical (3D/2D) artists, voice over peeps, and programmers can help to create short projects.

Right now the industry is not hard to get in to, but phenominally hard to stay in because most of us who've been in it for a while are getting sick and tired of useless varsity people who think because they know the technical side of things that this industry will make them alot of money.

Believe me, game developers are poorly paid... I mean my Jnr years was lucky to be earning more than 15,000pa, which put us on equal footing with full-time walmart employees or such lol

It grows over the years, and depending on who hires you but still.. you REALLY need a passion to do anything in the game industry or you'll burn out or biatch about it constantly.

You've no doubt hear the recent EA Employee stories of guy complaining about thier hours, but at the end of the day.. no one forced them to STAY at EA, people do because they pay damn well.

I'd say start small and try to pick your classes around what you feel will expand your writing styles. History is a very good one to provide you with colourful backgrounds and ideas.

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif Overall though, don't try to stress it.. after all there is more than one way to get the job you want.

Look at me, I started by being the office odd-body in Core.. so you don't really need to start off where you want to end up. ;)

Camera Obscura
07-05-05, 17:32
Thanks Raven! I'll remember that. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif