PDA

View Full Version : Joke or Reality?

magic
09-05-05, 12:36
Something I've read on the web.

Four youths from Canberra pulled off a trick of bravado in order to gain revenge on a mobile speed camera van operating in the area.

Three of the group approached the van and distracted the operator's attention by asking a series of questions about how the equipment worked and how many cars the operator could catch in a day. Meanwhile, the fourth musketeer sneaked to the front of the van and unscrewed its number plate.

After bidding the van operator good-bye, the friends returned home, fixed the number plate to their car and drove through the camera's radar at high speed - 17 times. As a result, the automated billing system issued 17 speeding tickets to itself. Is this a joke or did it really happen. Anyone down under know about this?

RavenLettan
09-05-05, 12:43
Heh.. i dunno but it's damn funny ^_^

Tramp
09-05-05, 23:21
Didn't see anything about it in New South Wales but knowing the Aussie Sense of Humour it sounds like something we would do.

Some of our mechanics in the workshop were I worked as a teenager used to get at the Police Cars that used to come in for a wheel alignment. They used Mini Cooper S's and they had a separate speedo in those days mounted on the top of the dash. They used to open the back of them and put chewing gum so that the speedo would not go over 35 mph.

Andromeda Eats would be the one that would probably know as she lives in Canberra. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/wave.gif

magic
10-05-05, 10:41
It's definately Funny :D whether true or not.
It's something I would have liked to have done when I was younger.

Are the Police not too bright down under? I'm sure they should have been able to work out where the chewing gum came from. Was there any comeback?

Tramp
10-05-05, 10:52
The cars weren't booked into us they actually came from the Leyland dealership across the road. We had the only static dynamic wheel alignment machine in the area. So because so many people handled the cars they didn't know where it was happening. They did wake up eventually though. All this happened about 35 years ago.

magic
10-05-05, 13:13
I wonder if people could get away with such things these days. There would probably be a detailed investigation costing loads and the outcome would be inconclusive.

Fun while it lasted I bet!

spence
10-05-05, 13:35
That's a bit of an urban legend. Although I am sure it once did happen. I have heard of it happening in the UK and in the US.

Draco
10-05-05, 15:07
Hehe, can't do that in the US, cops have special plates.

RavenLettan
10-05-05, 15:13
In the UK we have 'The Speed Camera Brigade'... it's just a bunch of business men who go around with a truck and a big chain pulling down speed cameras and leaving thier calling card.

They're like an Urban Legend, but it does actually happen.

I like the news about some N.Welsh commissioner who is more worried about speeders than he is about muggers... got caught speeding by one of his own camera vans. Heh truely classic seeing that in the papers.

njdogluver89
10-05-05, 23:57
I would just LOVE to do that w/my Computer Engineering teacher's car...hehehehe...

Capt. Murphy
11-05-05, 03:21
I've heard of a couple of guys that sneaked up behind a police car and hooked up a chain to the axle and connected it to something that wouldn't move. Then the two guys would speed by the cops, the police would start to go after them, then end up tearing up the police car. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/privateeye.gif

That's probly an Urban Legend as well.

RavenLettan
11-05-05, 03:31
reminds me of that scene from gone in 60 seconds...

"Excuse me gentlemen, but you do have license for those weapons don't you?"