PDA

View Full Version : shareware games

RavenLettan
15-05-05, 14:15
Shareware games aren't as popular as they once were, so there are an ever decreasing number of them out on the market.

The problem stems more from more and more completely free alternatives being online, or the retail games are lightyears ahead of what shareware developers could possible achieve with a handful of dedicated people.

When your downloading a new demo, or looking at new games.. what is it that attracts you to them?

Do you enjoy the action?
Hundreds of weapons?
Awesome graphics?

If you were to play a shareware game now.. what would make you part with your 10/$15/15 to purchase the full thing?

crux2
15-05-05, 15:01
whats shareware?

Its almost required to have good graphics and have an action packed trailer but I prefere games with good gameplay and a story that appeals to me.

Story wise its hard to explain what i like, I enjoy mainstream fantasy or sci fi but sometimes a particular genre or idea will capture my imagination.

For example I loved the TR storylines, especially AOD - i felt i could appreciate the dark/uncomfortable Lara so long as it was a temporary thing she could overcome.

I'm a sucker for a good phrase or quote so I loved LOTR and its western historic background/values, and Call of Duty with its "death quote" things.

Recently i have been captivated by the "World of Darkness" universe by White Wolf publishings. This manifested itself in the form of the 'Vampire Masquerade Bloodlines' RPG. This is a 3rd/1st person game (like the jediknight series) but it is so indescribeably brilliant, the story is excellent, the graphics are good and the charachters are inspired. I won't blab on about this too much but I really recommend looking into this game even if (like me) you don't go in for RPGs.

I think its more likely for me to buy into a series that has a fairly deep background and a decent story.

During my rantings and ravings my train of though has just pulled into the "games that don't get the recognition/praise/awareness that they deserve" station. As soon as I get some screeshots up on photobucket I'm starting a new topic!

Excuse me.

[ 15. May 2005, 16:05: Message edited by: crux2 ]

RavenLettan
15-05-05, 15:35
hmm.. how to describe shareware.

It's a bit like giving people a demo, and if they like it they can pay to register it and immediately play the full thing.

I guess the best modern example would be MMORPGs currently available, like Lineage ][. You download the trial, and if you like how it plays you pay to keep playing it.

Back before there was this whole multi-billion dollar games industry, it was basically how most developers sold thier games.

id Software for example did it to sell Wolfenstein3D and Doom. In the early 90s it was really about the only real way to make any money in the games industry.. even full publishers like 3D Realms did it as well as selling boxed copies.

These are games that aren't developed by people with years and years to work on them, or multi-million dollar budgets. Mainly because there is hardly any money in it anymore, so you have to keep releasing new things to keep people interested.

As such games generally only can take 3-4months to develop, and your budget generally ends up being however much you made on your last development minus your living costs.

:: shakes head :: it's not like the early 80s when you could burn a game to tape and flog them for 1-2 down your local market. heh

Apofiss
15-05-05, 16:01
(When your downloading a new demo, or looking at new games.. what is it that attracts you to them?): Generaly everything you can hear or see, but:

1)Story & atmosphere/scene/actor(character) performance.
2)Music/sounds
3)Origins/originality
4)Gameplay
5)Graphics/level design/effects
6)(PC)System requirements! LOL! (game also should be well optimazed at the same time being able to show maximal beauty what engine can give)

That would be all ;)

Thorn
15-05-05, 17:46
Typically, for me it's the:

Genre: 1st thing

Graphics: 2nd

story: 3rd

RavenLettan
15-05-05, 21:13
heh, well nice to see someone who isn't very demanding Apo http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Thorn what Genre's do you like?

well anyways.. I have a cunning plan. :D

Thorn
15-05-05, 21:30
Gore, violence, horror the most. 2nd place are mech games.

BloodRayne, Manhunt, Silent Hill, RE,... too many in my collection. ;)

RavenLettan
17-05-05, 00:01
lol, where does TR come in all of that?

just bumping the thread to see if more people reply.. silly really you ask for ppls opinions and very few reply, you just randomly post something and you can't stop the replies.

Thorn
17-05-05, 00:47
You know I love Tomb Raider. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif btw I think your right about the posting. Completely. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif ;)
Have you ever played BloodRayne?... cuz if you say no you may need to be punished. :mad: http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/mischievous.gif

RavenLettan
17-05-05, 01:42
.. being punished doesn't sound like a bad thing with that glint in your eye. heh

i've played it a lil, not all the way through though. it's one of those games that never really felt like buying myself, so just played it when a mate bought it.

i don't like the second one, it has a lot more.. but just didn't seem to play quite the same. the cut-scenes were awesome though.

Thorn
17-05-05, 01:55
I think the game sucks without using the dismemberment code. Because with that, the game gets really nasty and exciting, imo.

Oh, and my punishment isn't what you think. Ta! http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif More like clean my dishes and do the laundry! Lololol! :D

[ 17. May 2005, 02:56: Message edited by: THORN ]