PDA

View Full Version : strange happenings at ebay

superstar
02-08-05, 15:42
today i received a mail saying that something was wrong at my ebay account and some unauthorized access was made or something like that. the mail looked exactly like one from ebay, so i freaked out and clicked on "reponse now" and i was taken to a page which looked exactly like e-bay with the correct url and when i tried to log in, my antivirus thingy started to shout and beep and make strange noises: a trojan just tried to leak into my computer!
now, i don't know what happened but i'm writing this to you so you are careful with ebay and not experience such scary stuff :(

Gomes
02-08-05, 15:52
Yes, I know of those emails. I'm glad your anti-virus spotted the danger on time.

Ebay has now a toolbar that you can install that will warn you if you are in a fake website. I don't know how safe it is (meaning if it can be easily hacked into or not).

Henhead
02-08-05, 16:11
All genuine EBay emails will also be duplicated in my messages on My EBay page as below. If it's not here then it is likely to be a fake/ scam email.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Henhead/ebay.jpg

[ 02. August 2005, 17:13: Message edited by: Henhead ]

superstar
02-08-05, 16:15
yeah it was scaryyyy :( thnx for the tip though

Thorn
02-08-05, 17:31
Bunch of losers. :rolleyes:

Greenkey2
02-08-05, 18:03
Online banking has similar warnings, and they keep reminding you that you should not respond to any emails they send you ESPECIALLY ones that ask you to sumbit/correct personal data. I'm not surprised (but relieved) Ebay does the same.

superstar
02-08-05, 18:21
Originally posted by THORN:
Bunch of losers. :rolleyes: i hope that this was not said aiming at us ebay users :D

superstar
02-08-05, 18:26
Originally posted by Greenkey2:
Online banking has similar warnings, and they keep reminding you that you should not respond to any emails they send you ESPECIALLY ones that ask you to sumbit/correct personal data. I'm not surprised (but relieved) Ebay does the same. yeah thatz true... i'm not so frentic bout it though cuz the only thing i bought there was a book for my project, i preffer amazon usually, but if the book is outta print, like the one i bought, i use ebay...

Capt. Murphy
02-08-05, 18:53
This is called PHISHING. DO NOT reply to the e-mail. Don't even open it up! The trojan can log keystrokes then send them back to the phishers or whoever and can use those to hack into your account and acquire personal/vital info. Like if you have a credit card # etc.

Beware. :eek:

superstar
02-08-05, 18:57
aww thaz just so bad!
:(

Joseph
02-08-05, 19:31
Originally posted by Capt. Murphy:
This is called PHISHING. DO NOT reply to the e-mail. Don't even open it up! The trojan can log keystrokes then send them back to the phishers or whoever and can use those to hack into your account and acquire personal/vital info. Like if you have a credit card # etc.

Beware. :eek: Exactly. ;) I received the same email. Why did i immediately recognize it was fake? Well, the title. I forgot the exact words, but it WAS IN ENGLISH!!! For you, that is normal, but not for me, since i have Dutch eBay account. So, that was the first mistake by the Phisher.
Secondly: It warned me that my financial account (or similar) had been temporarily blocked and renewal of my personal info was needed "only to check and verify" IN IT'S TITLE!!! - - - > http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/jumper.gif That is absolutely nonsense, ALWAYS!!! Remember that.

What do i do when i suspect such mail is fake? Always open the source, not the mail.
Do that, by right-click on the closed message (you can always do that with any email), choose Properties / Details.../Source of Message.
In the mail was no message, but a binary code for an image. You can recognize such as this:

ABBSHDH577682=8995786003=TFMV0GMME0C,S-4,V0-SKKER0
ENNC8FDNNVIIORMVOIK,XSPR,VMLXC,,S0VMDLKSDPOCMXLXMX
RYRIVMMVLLD;;M VLLOF,VLFPF;LBVL;GT896-BL,GVVL;FKFC
BGOOBPLVBL,LBMLKDMKFKLJGOSDOIRKJVKJDSLMLAWMNEIC984
JD04EKDCFLMDLFKFFJJVNDLLEM4509GMT95MMVF03MD0O3MD0H

Such image can hide a malicious code that can be executed immediately, or take you to their website where any code could be implemented onto your system, but a well updated good virusscanner will prevent that;
or in a less dangerous way, it is proof to spammers that your emailadress is active so you may expect much more spam from them, another reason to never open suspicious mail.

superstar
02-08-05, 19:37
well, me, not so knowledged about computers, opened it :( do you think sumthing bad will happen should i cancel my credit cards??

Joseph
02-08-05, 19:39
By the way, "warned me that my financial account (or similar) had been temporarily blocked and renewal of my personal info was needed "only to check and verify" IN IT'S TITLE!!!" -- that was more or less the same text as i received in another email a month ago, after a BIG creditcard company's network was cracked (it was in the news, maybe some folks here remember?). This one actually contained a real letter in text, which i read via the 'source'- method. It was so obviously fake, and also in English, while correspondance with my Creditcard company is always in Dutch.

Joseph
02-08-05, 20:16
Cancel your creditcards? No, why? Did you give your sensitive information to the third party?

If not, then have no fear.

And when your "antivirus thingy started to shout and beep and make strange noises: a trojan just tried to leak into your computer!" happened, did your antivirusscanner disable or/and delete the trojan?

Tomb Raider Master
02-08-05, 21:45
I ran on it too.

Thorn
02-08-05, 22:17
Originally posted by superstar:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by THORN:
Bunch of losers. :rolleyes: i hope that this was not said aiming at us ebay users :D </font>[/QUOTE]No. The people trying to give us viruses and take our personal info are losers.

superstar
03-08-05, 05:15
Originally posted by joseph:
Cancel your creditcards? No, why? Did you give your sensitive information to the third party?

If not, then have no fear.

And when your "antivirus thingy started to shout and beep and make strange noises: a trojan just tried to leak into your computer!" happened, did your antivirusscanner disable or/and delete the trojan? yup it said it was disabled and i ran a av check at the safe mode and it couldn't find anything but i'm still note very comfortable since errr i had a not very nice experience with a not-so-friendly trojan called subseven--&gt;scary stuff there!

Olvidarse
03-08-05, 07:12
No one should ever ask you for your social security number or your license. Most companies don't ask for you to submit that information. Listen to your instincts when someone asks for personal information that you know you would never give out.

Please report it to eBay. :D

superstar
03-08-05, 07:20
Originally posted by Olvidarse:
Please report it to eBay. :D good idea.. doing it right now...