PDA

View Full Version : MODIS: Floods in Queensland, Australia

tlr online
30-01-04, 00:04
Heavy rains starting on January 12, 2004, brought widespread flooding to Queensland and New South Wales, Australia. Though high rivers have isolated towns and destroyed livestock, the water is a welcome relief after years of drought in the region. The waters have caused more than $20 million in damage to roads in Queensland, and sections of New South Wales have been declared natural disaster zones. But despite this, damage has been minimal. The floods are a normal part of the wet season, and, according to news reports, most locals say they are pleased to see the rains return.

These Terra MODIS images (roll over the image for a false-color view of the same scene) show how much water recent storms have brought to Northeastern Australia. Rivers that were barely visible on January 9, 2004 (true color, false color), show up as thick streaks in an image acquired on January 18, 2004. In the false-color image, the rivers are turquoise blue, while bare soil is light pink and vegetation bright green. A few light blue clouds cover the upper portion of the image.

http://modis.gsfc.nasa.gov/gallery/images/image01292004_md.jpg

Copyright 2004 NASA

justin
30-01-04, 00:10
Poor Australians...

swimfanc42tr
30-01-04, 01:44
I thought there was a drought :confused:
------------
Oh now I get it. There was a drought...

[ 30. January 2004, 02:50: Message edited by: swimfanc42tr ]

PSone
30-01-04, 08:46
There isn't a drought in queensland, only the Gold Coast has water restrictions. I didn't see any flooding :confused: alot of trees are across the road though.

Dorothy
30-01-04, 14:29
I'd rather be in Australia with wet feet than in Germany.
Well, maybe I shouldn't say that considering the damage done by the flood.

[ 30. January 2004, 15:30: Message edited by: Adventurer ]