PDA

View Full Version : Stallone getting back in ring for sixth 'Rocky'

Smith will Suffice
17-10-05, 16:53
http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/rids/20051017/i/r2659179989.jpg?x=380&y=270&sig=tSkFVdrih9aKc9CnHvS0Bg--

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) -
Sylvester Stallone is signing on to reprise his role as boxer Rocky Balboa in the sixth installment of the long-running film series, which he wrote and will direct.

The film, titled "Rocky Balboa," will be co-produced and co-financed by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Columbia Pictures and Revolution Studios and will be distributed by Columbia Pictures.

Stallone has been trying to make a sixth movie for years and has been reworking a script. The latest version, which sources said is similar to the tone and grit of the first two movies, persuaded the studios to negotiate a deal.

"In many ways, the screenplay really took me back to the original 'Rocky,"' Revolution Studios founder Joe Roth said in a statement. "As a past champion, Rocky Balboa is once again a regular guy who has to find himself and deal with real life. This film brings Rocky's story full circle."

In the new installment, Rocky, lonely and retired in Philadelphia, comes out of retirement, intending to fight a few low-profile local fights. He's approached to fight a match with reigning heavyweight champ Mason "The Line" Dixon, and soon his comeback ignites a media firestorm.

"'Rocky Balboa' is about everybody who feels they want to participate in the race of life, rather than be a bystander," Stallone said in a statement. "You're never too old to climb a mountain, if that's your desire."

Shooting is scheduled to begin in December in Los Angeles and Philadelphia.

Stallone received Academy Award nominations for starring in and writing "Rocky," and the 1976 MGM film won an Oscar for best picture, best director (John G. Avildsen) and best editing (Richard Halsey, Scott Conrad). The movie grossed $117.3 million at the domestic boxoffice, making Stallone a film star and creating one of cinema's most famous characters.

It also launched one of the most successful film series of all time. 1979's "Rocky II" grossed $85 million, and 1982's "Rocky III," which featured Mr. T, grossed $120.2 million. "Rocky IV," with
Dolph Lundgren, made $125.4 million after its 1985 release. By the decade's close, however, audiences seemed to have tired of the character. "Rocky V," released in 1990, made only $40 million.

"Rocky Balboa" is the first film to be green-lit by MGM since it was acquired by Sony Corp.

*YAHOO*

jesus, give it a rest stallone.

-Smith

Scottlee
17-10-05, 17:02
LOL http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/jumper.gif

I love the Rocky films. Stallone's a bit old for it now but I'm still going to go see it.

Celephais
17-10-05, 17:08
Personally I think it's good to see him go for it.

Angel666
17-10-05, 17:47
OMG!! http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/yikes.gif He'll break a hip!

Draco
17-10-05, 18:00
Stallone is cool http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif

deepbluesea
17-10-05, 18:03
ithink he's a bit old now maybe if he was training another boxer up but as angel says he'll probably hurt himself

bjthefish
17-10-05, 23:43
hey! if i go trick or treating (babyish, yeah...) this year, i'll dress up as rocky and come to each house six times claiming to be the sequel each time! sorry for posting this, a little off topic.

Scottlee
18-10-05, 00:04
Originally posted by pig josh:
hey! if i go trick or treating (babyish, yeah...) this year, i'll dress up as rocky and come to each house six times claiming to be the sequel each time! sorry for posting this, a little off topic. "A left hook to the face or a treat?"

T.Onix
18-10-05, 00:34
Originally posted by Scottlee:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by pig josh:
hey! if i go trick or treating (babyish, yeah...) this year, i'll dress up as rocky and come to each house six times claiming to be the sequel each time! sorry for posting this, a little off topic. "A left hook to the face or a treat?" </font>[/QUOTE]HAHAHAHAHHA

I love Rocky movies. In the fifth one, he's no longer young, but now he's a mentor. Maybe this time the cool hot shot boxer will be his son, portrayed again by Sage Stallone, and Adrian will die of cancer.
I loved the fight in the 5 movie. It rocks!!!!

wantafanta
19-10-05, 04:11
Being an old fighter is hard enough to believe.
But being a white boxing champ - now, that really stretches the imagination! :D

Draco
19-10-05, 07:28
Originally posted by wantafanta:
Being an old fighter is hard enough to believe.
But being a white boxing champ - now, that really stretches the imagination! :D ok...?

wantafanta
20-10-05, 03:59
Originally posted by Draco:
ok...? The point is, Hollywood makes boxing movies about white boxers almost always. The only one I can think of who was black was "The Greatest" starring Will Smith as Muhammad Ali. All the other movies I know star white boxing champs. "Raging Bull", "Rocky", "Million Dollar Baby" and "Cinderella Man."

But the truth is, almost all the champs since Rocky Marciano have been black! And that goes back to the 1950s at least, or maybe earlier! You can look at Joe Lewis, Sonny Liston, Floyd Patterson, Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier, Larry Holmes, Ken Norton, George Forman, Miky Tyson, Leon Spinks, Marvin Hagler, Ray Leonard, Evander Holyfield, Lennox Lewis - all are black but none of them had a movie except for Ali, and that didn't do well at the box office. Probably Hollywood knows the movie audience is mostly white and is not interested in black champions. That's my cynical guess, but it makes sense. :(

[ 20. October 2005, 05:04: Message edited by: wantafanta ]