PDA

View Full Version : Political Correctness Gone Mad (IMO very LMAO)

Jacob x5
19-10-05, 16:49
Let's say you just said something to someone of a different culture and you are worried that it would offend them. My personal opinion is that if when you spoke you didn't set out to offend anyone, don't worry about what you say and for god's sake use standard english. :D And the blackboard/chalkboard thing is so funny and stupid I can't believe anyone would bring it up. :vlol: Ridiculous! Especially since the word whiteboard has never been discussed.

Black and white are colours and if you use someone's race, culture, nationality or whatever as a reference (for instance if in a crowded place you want to point someone out and they are the only black person there you say "the black one") rather than as an insult then there's nothing wrong with saying it.

Similarly, I get annoyed when people see someone in the street who is chinese or asian or black or from another country (an immigrant, basically) and think "I'd better be especially nice to them and be careful not to offend". Doing that is more likely to offend as you are singling them out from the rest of the people.

Another issue is religous jokes which I don't find offensive (probably because I'm not religous), however I think that there is a difference between having a laugh and setting out to offend or insult a particular religon. But people will have different opinions.

Also, I think that no matter how hard people try to close in on the situation, there will always be issues of racism and such other things.

One thing I believe that other people on this forum will have different opinions on is that it is ok to use the word 'Paki' as a reference to Pakistani people if you're using it as "short for Pakistani". Obviously it wouldn't be very nice if you're insulting them. There are other things similar to this, but I used this as an example.

But one thing I notice is that people like British people like myself will insult each other in good spirit and as a laugh, not to insult each other. Scottish people are sometimes known as Jocks (if that's how it's spelt) and you get Welsh as paddies, and of course Irish are seen as thick. Of course Americans and British will probably always be making fun of each other because we British are all posh and you Americans are lazy illiterates (no offense :ton:). Let's say we have a joke about other cultures — as a laugh, of course, and not to insult — others might tell us that we're being racist and that we can't say that.

So Political Correctness has gone mad, and certain things are seen as "racist" whilst others are not, on a very unbalanced scale.

Just thought I'd post my views to make a discussion on this and I'm sorry if some of the things I said didn't make much sense. :p

Angel666
19-10-05, 21:03
IMHO Political correctness has gotten way outta hand. I have a friend who is an immigrant and we joke about it alot and it doesn't offend him but if people hear me talking to him like that then they say they feel sorry for him that I am so tactless and rude when they have no idea what we are talking about. Rant over(if that made any sense :confused: )

Tramp
19-10-05, 21:52
Some of the best Irish Jokes I have ever heard were told to me by Irish People. And the best Catholic Religious Jokes by Priests. Political correctness has taken away our ability to laugh at ourselves.

I am a Miss, not a Mz or Mrs. I'm not ashamed of the fact I never married. Why should I be miserable like you. If I was acting I am an Actress not an Actor, Actress is female Actor is male.

I mean really if you were at a party you wouldn't say to a friend 'I would like to meet person over there'. There may be 5 girls and 2 guys. Which one are you talking about? You would say that guy over there with blonde hair, or the girl with red hair, or whatever part of them sets them apart which may be skin colour. These are descriptions and nothing to do with Racism, Sexism or any other kind of Ism.

People have become so thin skinned because of Political Correctness. We have lost the ability to laugh at ourselves.

Political Correctness is an http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/censored.gif Ass and should be s****ped. If people could learn to laugh at themselves again maybe the world would be a better place.

T.Onix
19-10-05, 21:57
Political correctness is for people with low confidence and self steem. IMO

Angel666
19-10-05, 22:01
Well said Tramp http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/thumb.gif . One time this girl was threatening to beat me up. I told my friends at lunch and couldn't remember her name. I saw her and a blonde girl walk by and said "That girl, with the dark hair." Well this one guy gets all in my face conveniantly forgetting that my hair is dark brown, almost black. I didn't mean it as a discriminating thing but it was blown way out of proportion by an idiot.

Angel666
19-10-05, 22:03
Double post. Sorry. Beat me to it Onyx. Grrrrr http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/wave.gif

[ 19. October 2005, 23:06: Message edited by: Angel666 ]

T.Onix
19-10-05, 22:07
Angel, that is Hilarious! Not the fact that you got that problem, but how stupid can people get to be?

Gomes
20-10-05, 03:12
What, you can't say "that girl with dark hair" anymore?

Do people really say chalkboard instead of blackboard because of political correctness? Are you sure about that? That is just too weird. If so, why don't we invent a political correct term for whiteboard for a laugh? Penboard? Feltboard? :D

I am going to paint myself green one day to see if people come up with a political correct term. "European Martian" http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/jumper.gif

Jacob x5
20-10-05, 04:51
Lol, thanks for posting guys, and I agree 100% with every post here!

And yes Gomes, it is true about the blackboard. :D

And Angel, that thing you said about the girl is really halarious. Pretty soon we won't be allowed to describe people's appearance at all.

Isn't it funny how they've never mentioned banning blonde jokes. I don't think they should though because I have too many good ones. :p

Tramp
20-10-05, 10:33
Like the Irish Jokes, Blondes tell the best blonde jokes. I should know I'm blonde.

Jacob x5
20-10-05, 15:00
A blonde girl uses the last of the milk and puts the empty carton back in the fridge.
"Why did you just put the empty one back in the fridge?" her mum asked.
"Well, just in case anyone wants any black coffee."

:D

T.Onix
20-10-05, 19:12
Originally posted by jacob jacob jacob jacob jacob:
A blonde girl uses the last of the milk and puts the empty carton back in the fridge.
"Why did you just put the empty one back in the fridge?" her mum asked.
"Well, just in case anyone wants any black coffee."

:D http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/vlol.gif